• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Bay Club, Waikaloa Village

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Heading to the Bay Club on the Big Island of Hawaii for the first time this coming week with two friends to play some golf. Reserved a VL6, 2 Bedroom Plus. Just received an email from their "Owner Service Counselor" about estimated arrival time. I replied and asked for an upper level golf course view room.

Apparently the "Recreation Pool" is closed so only the "Family Pool" at Bay Club and the "Main Clubhouse Pool" at Kohala Suites are available.

In the spirit of, I don't know what I don't know, anything to know before I go or when we get there? Restaurant suggestions? Best place to drink a Mai Tai? Anything else?

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Buy groceries, liquor at Costco and/or Safeway as soon as you arrive in Kona because the drive is about 45 minutes away.

There is a free shuttle to take you to the resort. [update: only at Waikoloa or Kingsland] You can use the pools and lagoon at the resort for free so you should go over there for at least one day.

Have fun!

Last edited:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Lots of good information has been shared in previous threads.

Here are two good threads from the Hawaii forum.

Here’s a recent discussion from the HGVC forum

Last edited:

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Buy groceries, liquor at Costco and/or Safeway as soon as you arrive in Kona because the drive is about 45 minutes away.

There is a free shuttle to take you to the resort. You can use the pools and lagoon at the resort for free so you should go over there for at least one day.

Have fun!

I thought that if you are registered at Bay Club you DON'T have access to the resort(Waikoloa Beach Hotel) Pools, Lagoon, and Gym?

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I thought that if you are registered at Bay Club you DON'T have access to the resort(Waikoloa Beach Hotel) Pools, Lagoon, and Gym?

oops my bad. I thought he was staying at Waikoloa or Kingsland. (That's what I get for posting before I had my morning coffee!)

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I wouldn't go to Safeway for groceries as you would be driving well out of your way. Kona is south of the airport, the Bay Club is north. We also don't shop at Costco, we found the quantities to be too much. However, Costco is closer to the airport, so if you do want to pick up some things there, and have room in your car, go for it.

We found the Waikoloa Village Market to be sufficient for our needs, and we also liked the Island Gourmet in the Queen's Shops for many items.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
There is a Foodland or whatever it's called now in the town of Waikoloa that is just up the hill from the resort. That is where we shop for our main supplies and pick up extra things at the Queen's market.

Best place to sip a drink is Lava Lava Club at A Bay.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
There is a Foodland or whatever it's called now in the town of Waikoloa that is just up the hill from the resort. That is where we shop for our main supplies and pick up extra things at the Queen's market.

Has it changed to Foodland? Used to be Waikoloa Village Market. At least that is what I've always known it as.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Good to know about Foodland. We found the Kings/Queens markets only good for small staples because less variety and more expensive.

Last edited:

TDub1313

Reaction score
I second Lava Lava Beach Club. It’s a great place and so close. They do have a happy hour menu. When facing the beach walk left along the shoreline between 2p-5p to have a very good chance of meeting green turtles (Honu) right on the beach. As soon as round the “bend” start looking. Beautiful. Amazing place at sunset, as well.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Good to know about Foodland. We found the Kings and Queens markets only good for small staples milk etc. because less variety and more expensive.
I didn't know there was a market in King's Market? I like the Island Gourmet in Queen's Market for some things. Some of their prepared meats are wonderful. And I got quite addicted to their poke.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I didn't know there was a market in King's Market? I like the Island Gourmet in Queen's Market for some things. Some of their prepared meats are wonderful. And I got quite addicted to their poke.

I was referring to the collective "King/Queen's market" couldn't remember exactly where it was located but know there is market(s) there.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I was referring to the collective "King/Queen's market" couldn't remember exactly where it was located but know there is market(s) there.
We haven't been there in awhile so I wasn't sure if another market had sprung up.

linsj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
Has it changed to Foodland? Used to be Waikoloa Village Market. At least that is what I've always known it as.

It's KTA; may still use this name too.

linsj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
Good to know about Foodland. We found the Kings/Queens markets only good for small staples because less variety and more expensive.

There's a Foodland at the Shops of Mauna Lani, 4-5 miles north of Waikoloa Resort.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
There's a Foodland at the Shops of Mauna Lani, 4-5 miles north of Waikoloa Resort.
I think I may have known that, but for some reason we never shopped there.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
I wouldn't go to Safeway for groceries as you would be driving well out of your way. Kona is south of the airport, the Bay Club is north. We also don't shop at Costco, we found the quantities to be too much. However, Costco is closer to the airport, so if you do want to pick up some things there, and have room in your car, go for it.

We found the Waikoloa Village Market to be sufficient for our needs, and we also liked the Island Gourmet in the Queen's Shops for many items.
I like a run through Costco when I'm in Maui. Great to pick up some (prime) steaks to grill, some big bags of chips, and wine.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I like a run through Costco when I'm in Maui. Great to pick up some (prime) steaks to grill, some big bags of chips, and wine.
We do two stops at Costco on Maui. One on the way in to buy sunscreen. Then we go later on in the trip and buy chocolate covered mac nuts to send home.

We found that the food quantities were too much for us to use up. We bought some canned tuna on our last trip as we like to make grilled tuna sandwiches, and even with four of us on the trip we still had a few cans left.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
We do two stops at Costco on Maui. One on the way in to buy sunscreen. Then we go later on in the trip and buy chocolate covered mac nuts to send home.

We found that the food quantities were too much for us to use up. We bought some canned tuna on our last trip as we like to make grilled tuna sandwiches, and even with four of us on the trip we still had a few cans left.
I've never had any wine left over. :eek::D

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I've never had any wine left over. :eek::D
I love wine, but I don't drink it when I'm in Hawaii. I prefer beer or mai tais. We used to buy a big bottle of gin and make gin and tonics, but haven't done that for quite a few years.

Glad you're able to use up your purchases. We weren't able to.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella

It is now KTA super stores. Same location.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
It is now KTA super stores. Same location.
Must have changed within the last few years. When you do a look up for Waikoloa Village Market on Google you can still find it.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
Must have changed within the last few years. When you do a look up for Waikoloa Village Market on Google you can still find it.

Waikola Village Market always had been KTA. Same store, different name. Same as Longs Drugs here in Hawaii is CVS.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score

We also go to the Foodland/KTA

As far as drinking, I have to take exception with Lava Lava being the best place. I think there are a number of good places (and Happy Hours). But Lava Lava is certainly in the top echelon when the view and live music are added in :)

We will be there next Thanksgiving.

Cheers.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score

There is also a market at Kings, but it's smaller. Prices similar to Island Gourmet. Whalers, I believe (and there are others of that chain around).

Cheers.