• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

One space or two?

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
I cannot give up the double space after a period. It's so ingrained, dating back to that typing class I took in 1975 as a 7th grader. Will this always brand me into the older generation who can't learn new tricks? Anyone else standing with me on this one?

spirits

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Banff Rocky Mountain Resort
I cannot give up the double space after a period. It's so ingrained, dating back to that typing class I took in 1975 as a 7th grader. Will this always brand me into the older generation who can't learn new tricks? Anyone else standing with me on this one?

I am one that still uses two spaces after a period. And yes I took typing in high school. In the end....it is not a big deal. I just typed one space here and it does not look too bad. I think I will just concentrate on whether to have chicken or beef for dinner tonight (;

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I never took typing, but I always do two spaces after a period.

Dave

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Guilty. I do go back and delete one of them (usually). But invariably type two.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
Looks like you can!

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
Seriously, are you typing two but the bulletin system changes it to one?
Test. Test. Test.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't forget to always use two spaces after using the two letter abbreviation for the state before keying in your zip code when addressing an envelope. Supposedly this is the official way to address an envelope (at least that is what everyone was led to believe).

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I was taught 2 spaces as well, but I've stopped doing that.
But it's time to enter the 21st century and stop wasting space.

kwelty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club II
Samoset Rockport, ME
Harbor Ridge MDI ME
Tree Tops Gatlinburg

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
From "The Atlantic"
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2018/05/two-spaces-after-a-period/559304/

"In the Skidmore study, among people who write with two spaces after periods—“two-spacers”—there was an increase in reading speed of 3 percent when reading text with two spaces following periods, as compared to one."

No way.How could a tiny little thing like a space make it easier to read.Ridiculous.This is scheme concocted by angry English teachers to bring back their beloved two spaces.Its like spaces after commas,capitalizing place names and apostrophes in contractions.It doesnt make sense.Theyre just trying to make us be like them.We shouldnt stand for it

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I gave up the two spaces long ago. An old dog can learn new tricks.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Two spacing originally came to be because of typewriters, which had to give the same amount of space to every letter. Modern word processing isn't under such an impediment, and so the space between letters is set to equal in most modern fonts (so the letter 'M' gets more space than the letter 'I'). In this arrangement, the second space after a period isn't as important, because your can more easily differentiate the end of words and sentences.

This study seems hardly definitive to me, with two big issues. The first is that the group that saw improvement were people who had been taught double spacing. So they have a pre-disposition to it. Ideally, the study would include both groups of people.

Secondly, the study used a monospaced font, the same as a typewriter. That is effectively imposing the weaknesses of a typewriter on modern typography. If you impose the weaknesses of the past on the present, you will generally find the solutions of the past to be effective.

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
I gave up the two spaces long ago. An old dog can learn new tricks.

This old dog can certainly learn new tricks, but has no inclination to do so in this case!!! :p

My father encouraged me to take typing in grade 9 to learn to type with two hands, so I could more easily prepare and type my own essays. This was in the days of manual typewriters, long before electric typewriters or even word processors. That advice was bang on and saved me both time and money throughout high school and university. And then when computer keyboards came along I had a great advantage. I am touch typing this now on our home computer far faster than most "finger punchers". :cool:

And like the others here, two spaces after a period was drummed into me while learning typing and I still do it today!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade

It took me a long time to even consider using just one space and I still go back and forth with it. I can see that it is no longer necessary, but many times, depending on the document, it still looks so much better with two. So, I’m with you sometimes, but you can’t really count on me!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
Don't forget to always use two spaces after using the two letter abbreviation for the state before keying in your zip code when addressing an envelope. Supposedly this is the official way to address an envelope (at least that is what everyone was led to believe).

Yup. Applies in Canada, too. Canada Post specifies two spaces between the two letters for the province and the postal code, although only one space separating the two 3-character parts of the 6-character postal code.

EZ-ED

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a BOOMER issue to me. :D

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Definitely...early baby boomer here!! :banana:

But at least we know how to properly spell, form sentences and paragraphs and, of course, double-space!!! LOL. :p:p:p

Ahh but can you diagram a sentence. Non-Boomers have a hard time reading cursive.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
It's time to dispose of those old VHS tape players, too. :p

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
I blame this on the internet. You hardly ever see two spaces after a sentence online.

HTML (HyperTest Markup Language) in which web pages are written truncates all multiple spaces into single spaces for display, consequently on web pages you normally see only single spaces following a period. An exception is for text designated as "pre-formattted", which is displayed in a monospaced font (all characters the same width) and which does not concatenate multiple spaces into one.

Examples with five spaces typed between words each time:

Normal text
Preformatted     text
The way to enter preformatted text here on TUGBBS is to place [pre] and [/pre] tags around your text.

Preformatting is handy for displaying tabular data where you want the columns to line up correctly.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Definitely...early baby boomer here!! :banana:

But at least we know how to properly spell, form sentences and paragraphs and, of course, double-space!!! LOL. :p:p:p

Bazinga ! :clap:

jbeachlvr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
The Suites at Eastern Slope Inn
Vistana Flex
I’m sticking with 2 spaces until my boss writes in my review that I’m unwilling to change/move into the 21st century. 5 years to go! Haha!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I took typing as a freshman in high school in 1971. It was two spaces then and for me it is still two spaces simply because that's what I've been doing for almost 50 years. It just seems to be automatic for me.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I blame this on the internet. You hardly ever see two spaces after a sentence online.

HTML (HyperTest Markup Language) in which web pages are written

Um. I think that should be HyperTEXT.

Dave, smirking, and picking nits. ;)