• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Adding a name to ownership

mlnuwer

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am trying to add our son to 2 deeds at Vistana. Vistana charges $375 per unit to change the deed, record and transfer into the new names. I created the Quit Claim Deed myself and with the help of the recorders office in Fla. was able to have it recorded. But now Vistana refuses to make the transfer because they say one of the signers did not have 2 additional witnesses to the notary. They say start over, get all the current owners to sign with 2 additional witnesses and pay the Fla fees again. I say this is ridiculous since it is now legal through the county in FLA. Does anyone know what I can do to convince the HOA at Vistana to complete the transfer?

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Was this a case of being penny-wise and pound foolish? If the law requires the two additional witnesses, then Vistana is acting properly. It will also be a cloud on your title when you try to sell in the future.

mlnuwer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Was this a case of being penny-wise and pound foolish? If the law requires the two additional witnesses, then Vistana is acting properly. It will also be a cloud on your title when you try to sell in the future.
Part of the issue is wanting to save hundreds of dollars when I can type up the document and record it for a total of about $50. It was an oversight in not seeing that one witness did not sign for both people, just one of us. The other part is that the county recorder in the state of Fla. accepted it and recorded it making it a legal document so what grounds does Vistana have to reject it. I am not concerned with a cloud on the title since I never plan to sell it. For that matter Vistana units have no value and people are trying to get rid of them for $1.00. On the other hand if I let it go foreclosure they will not ever see the maintenance fees and that will impact them.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Part of the issue is wanting to save hundreds of dollars when I can type up the document and record it for a total of about $50. It was an oversight in not seeing that one witness did not sign for both people, just one of us. The other part is that the county recorder in the state of Fla. accepted it and recorded it making it a legal document so what grounds does Vistana have to reject it. I am not concerned with a cloud on the title since I never plan to sell it. For that matter Vistana units have no value and people are trying to get rid of them for $1.00. On the other hand if I let it go foreclosure they will not ever see the maintenance fees and that will impact them.

It looks like to me if it cost you only $50 vs Vistana's $375, then you need to do it all over and do it right this time. You'll still be saving $275.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
You are adding names to a $1 VSE VOI? For what purpose?

Why burden someone with a worthless item that has ever increasing and unending MFs (and Special Assessments)?
Or am I missing something?

VSE has their requirements regarding names (and witnesses, etc) for completed deeds in their system that doesn’t necessarily jibe with county records.
I have first hand experience with adding (changing) names.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gordgeous

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO
You are adding names to a $1 VSE VOI? For what purpose?

Why burden someone with a worthless item that has ever increasing and unending MFs (and Special Assessments)?
Or am I missing something?

I have the same question as I am about to purchase my first timeshare.

I am married with two very young children and we are looking to purchase a 2BR Annual SDO 1-52 for little/no upfront cost (and ultimately no resale value).

Should I simply just register this in my name? Add my wife as well? Or add all 4 names on purchase just in case?

Our plan would likely be to keep the unit for approx 5 years or so, perhaps a little longer, but no plans to make this particular unit part of some sort of family legacy or anything. Our planned use case would be to trade via II.

It is obviously best to plan upfront so you are not changing anything, but it seems like it could be best to just register in my own name for simplicity.

The only other thought would be around making bookings and if there is an advantage to having both our names on the account to allow my wife to make bookings, access the owner support group etc. Would my wife need to be on the deed for that?

Thanks in advance!

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
I have the same question as I am about to purchase my first timeshare.

I am married with two very young children and we are looking to purchase a 2BR Annual SDO 1-52 for little/no upfront cost (and ultimately no resale value).

Should I simply just register this in my name? Add my wife as well? Or add all 4 names on purchase just in case?

Our plan would likely be to keep the unit for approx 5 years or so, perhaps a little longer, but no plans to make this particular unit part of some sort of family legacy or anything. Our planned use case would be to trade via II.

It is obviously best to plan upfront so you are not changing anything, but it seems like it could be best to just register in my own name for simplicity.

The only other thought would be around making bookings and if there is an advantage to having both our names on the account to allow my wife to make bookings, access the owner support group etc. Would my wife need to be on the deed for that?

I would definitely add your spouse as this would allow her to check in without a guest certificate if you are not present (assuming you will also be using for II Getaways which would also require a guest cert. if she is not on the account). She would need to be on the deed.

If you are only planning to have this for around five years I don't see a benefit to adding your kids as this would just make it significantly more complicated when it comes time to dispose of the unit.

Keep in mind that if you ever did want to add an additional Vistana unit to your account the names on the deeds would have to be exactly the same in order to be held in the same account.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I would just add spouse.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Counties in Florida will record a scrap piece of paper if you give it to them and pay the fee. It doesn't make it legal just because it is recorded.

Grandma2016

Reaction score
I am currently in the process of doing this. We have 2 adult children and want them to have same benefits we have. We are 5 star elite and own in Maui OF, OV and some week 52s. So for us there is value in that (rent on week 52s) and we want our kids to have the benefits of elite status. It is pricey but depending on your intentions you should do it correctly.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you do anything so both of the adult kids benefit from the Platinum status? Is there a structure that maximizes the benefits of Elite ownership for the two kids?

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you do anything so both of the adult kids benefit from the Platinum status? Is there a structure that maximizes the benefits of Elite ownership for the two kids?

only one person gets the Marriott Bonvoy status...

Grandma2016

Reaction score
We created a trust with us and 2 adult children as trustees. The trust is now who holds all 9 deeds.

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
We created a trust with us and 2 adult children as trustees. The trust is now who holds all 9 deeds.

who is named as the BonVoy Platinum recipient?

i thought only individuals were allowed BonVoy membership.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
who is named as the BonVoy Platinum recipient?

i thought only individuals were allowed BonVoy membership.

Only individuals are. On each account one person must be designated as the contact and that person receives the Bonvoy Elite status.

Grandma2016

Reaction score
We never use motel part of ownership. We wanted to maintain 5 star elite status for our kids. Our lawyer contacted vistana to find out correct way to do this.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
We never use motel part of ownership. We wanted to maintain 5 star elite status for our kids. Our lawyer contacted vistana to find out correct way to do this.

Remember that the Marriott Bonvoy hotel elite program's points can also be used to reserve units at most of the Vistana timeshares. Those points build if you use a Marriott Bonvoy credit card to pay your maintenance fees and include your Bonvoy number on your Vistana timeshare reservations to receive credit for food & beverage and other charges to your folio. Don't neglect the Bonvoy program just because you think it isn't valuable. You may be missing out.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't convert to Bonvoy points, but do use Marriott hotels for travel and the Platinum status is pretty useful. I have gotten quite a few nice upgrades, and I use late checkout often when my flights leave later in the day. The free breakfast has been nice at many of the locations. I mostly use hotels in Surope and many have nice breakfast buffets. Points stays can also be valuable, but I earn the points, rather than convert my timeshares.

I have Lifetime Platinum status through hotel stays, so I had Vistana give the 5-Star Platinum benefit to my wife. This way, she can get the benefit whenever she travels alone.