• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Shingrix Vaccine

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
In addition to Zostavax being much less effective and effectiveness wanes just after just a few years, the other problem is that Zostavax uses live attenuated virus while Shingrix uses dead virus. It means someone who just has the Zostavax shot can infect someone who has not had chicken pox immunity within the first 2 weeks.

Last edited:

lvkcwalker

TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband and I both got our 2 Shangrix shots last year. A mildly sore arm at injection area was the only complaint from my husband. I had no issues. BUT, when we got our flu shots this year we both felt quite out of sorts, slight elevated temp for 2 days and general malaise. I had never had such a reaction from the flu shot prior to this year. Maybe many of the suspected reactions to the Shingrix were actually to the flu shot given at the same time.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Do you have any information on this priority list for people who have already had shingles? Was the insurance company the one who has the priority list, or was it from the clinic that provided the shot?

since Costco did not have any shots in stock I was waitlisted, but having had Shingles previously I was added to the priority list and not the regular list.

When the shot came in they called me.

I am on immune suppressant, so I was NEVER able to take the old shot as it had live virus.

northwoodsgal

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe there is an issue getting the shingles vaccine if you've never had chicken pox. There is a blood test available that can determine if you've had chicken pox.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
My husband and I both got our 2 Shangrix shots last year. A mildly sore arm at injection area was the only complaint from my husband. I had no issues. BUT, when we got our flu shots this year we both felt quite out of sorts, slight elevated temp for 2 days and general malaise. I had never had such a reaction from the flu shot prior to this year. Maybe many of the suspected reactions to the Shingrix were actually to the flu shot given at the same time.
Dh had the flu like symptoms reaction with both shots. That is the only shot he got at the time.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe there is an issue getting the shingles vaccine if you've never had chicken pox. There is a blood test available that can determine if you've had chicken pox.
The titers check for 2 things, whether if one has antibodies from having chicken pox before and whether one has developed immunity from chicken pox vaccines. I am tested to be negative for both even though for the latter, I had the chicken pox Varicella vaccine course twice and separated by 10 years, and each time they failed to activate antibodies in my body. I have to stay away from anyone with active chicken pox, shingles or just freshly vaccinated with Zostavax. My doctors do not want me to have the chicken pox vaccine for the 3rd time as they are useless for me.

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
My husband does not even know if he ever had chicken pox and has no records.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
My husband does not even know if he ever had chicken pox and has no records.
He would be an excellent candidate for the titer.

I know I had chicken pox. I was only about 3 but I have vivid memories of being in our den with very little light.

I also know I never had measles or mumps. I am planning to get the titer for those to see if I'm immune (I think I had the vaccines, but don't remember how long ago) or need the vaccines.

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
I contracted shingles after having the Zostavax shot. But, my symtoms were not nearly as bad as they might have been without having it. Still haven’t found anybody local that has the second shot available.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I contracted shingles after having the Zostavax shot. But, my symtoms were not nearly as bad as they might have been without having it. Still haven’t found anybody local that has the second shot available.
What "should" have happened when you got your first shot was that you were put on a list. That way you have priority when they receive the new batches.

Fredward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin- Lagunamar, Kierland Villas, Marriott- Barony Beach, Aruba Surf Club
When I was finally able to get my 2nd Shingrix shot (was on the waiting list for #2 for 6 months), I took an Aleve before driving to the pharmacy. I had minor arm issues the following day and a short period of chills and feeling crummy but was totally better the following day. A nurse friend told me about taking the Aleve or Advil before getting a vaccine many years ago and it works for me. Even if I had been really ill after the vaccine, it would have been worth it to avoid shingles. I'll get my flu shot next week- its still early enough in the season and there was no rush to get 2 vaccines at once.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
. A nurse friend told me about taking the Aleve or Advil before getting a vaccine many years ago and it works for me...

I'm always amazed how differently people look at things. I for one have never taken Aleve, Advil, Excedrin in my life. On the other hand I took a baby aspirin daily for about 40 years straight. I'm not saying that you shouldn't use Advil, Aleve or Excedrin , it is just that I have never have...

George

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I'm always amazed how differently people look at things. I for one have never taken Aleve, Advil, Excedrin in my life. On the other hand I took a baby aspirin daily for about 40 years straight. I'm not saying that you shouldn't use Advil, Aleve or Excedrin , it is just that I have never have...

George

My first and last dose of Aleve was for a bursitis flare up in my shoulder. I'd been miserable for a couple days and Cliff said to try one of his Aleve (he'd jumped out of bed in Palm Springs because he dreamed a dog-sized spider was after him and landed on the floor with his shoulder smashed against the nightstand of the timeshare). Shoulder pain gone almost instantly and stayed gone, but stomach was miserable for three days.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill

George
Advil is great for menstrual pains (not me any longer but my dds). I have also used Advil in large dosage (prescribed by a doctor) for back pain. I use it occasionally for headaches. I can't take aspirin as I am slow to clot.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My first and last dose of Aleve was for a bursitis flare up in my shoulder. I'd been miserable for a couple days and Cliff said to try one of his Aleve (he'd jumped out of bed in Palm Springs because he dreamed a dog-sized spider was after him and landed on the floor with his shoulder smashed against the nightstand of the timeshare). Shoulder pain gone almost instantly and stayed gone, but stomach was miserable for three days.
I cannot take any of the NSAIDS. My stomach would hurt really bad for a couple of months, while I load myself with Pepcid the whole time to fix the stomach pain. It is Tylenol for me.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*

When I called around it was the Walmart Pharmacy that had both shingles shots.

Bill

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

George

Funny- same with me. When I have mentioned I have a pain or something people ask don't I take Aleve or Tylenol or whatever- and I say- no. In fact- I never even think to take it. I recently threw out a couple of bottles I kept in my medicine cabinet and forgot about. The few times I have taken it I didn't feel it did anything for me.

I used to take baby aspirin but no longer. My husband's doctor just told him to stop taking baby aspirin daily as well. He had him on it for quite awhile.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Funny- same with me. When I have mentioned I have a pain or something people ask don't I take Aleve or Tylenol or whatever- and I say- no. In fact- I never even think to take it. I recently threw out a couple of bottles I kept in my medicine cabinet and forgot about. The few times I have taken it I didn't feel it did anything for me.

I used to take baby aspirin but no longer. My husband's doctor just told him to stop taking baby aspirin daily as well. He had him on it for quite awhile.

I get some pretty bad headaches, although thankfully no longer migraines since menopause. One dose of two Tylenol tablets takes care of most of my headaches now, occasionally I have to take a second dose. If I have a "regular" backache, as opposed to my stenosis/bulging disc pain that generally is leg related, Tylenol works well for me.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I just got my 1st Shingrix shot on Thursday. Felt fine most of Friday, but not am feeling achy and tired.. Glad i have the weekend to recover.

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
Definitely going to get the Shingrix shot as my Dad got shingles around August 20 including in one of his eye's and his head. It has not subsided at all, he takes some medicine for the nerve pain but says without it feels like a hot iron is burning him constantly. Horrible for someone turning 90.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Costco, finally received 15 doses of the Shringrix vaccine yesterday. My spouse received her second dose Saturday.

Shingles is nothing to play with. My friend had shingles this year and his body was covered with red blisters. Awful.

Last edited:

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband's doctor just told him to stop taking baby aspirin daily as well. He had him on it for quite awhile.

About 6 or 7 years ago I had two mini strokes (TIA events). For 40 or so years prior to that I had taken an aspirin (not a baby aspirin) a day. I believe (without any proof) that the build up of aspirin in my body kept my strokes from being full blown...

George

linsj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
I had the second shot last week. I slept most of the next day and through the night too. My arm was a little sore but not as bad as the last time. I was surprised to have a different reaction this time.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had the second shot last week. I slept most of the next day and through the night too. My arm was a little sore but not as bad as the last time. I was surprised to have a different reaction this time.
Exactly the same thing happened to me. My arm was very sore after my first shot. Nothing at all after my second...

George

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX

Exactly the same thing happened to me. My arm was very sore after my first shot. Nothing at all after my second...

George

Same here. My first shot caused me to have a low-grade fever and chills for about 36 hours. Immediately after the second shot I took Tylenol expecting a fever and chills. They never showed however I was sleepy all that day and my arm was still sore five days later. I'm glad it's over. The shots were better than what shingles can do.