• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Autoslash car rental questions

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Wow. Ok. That might be a dealbreaker for me then. I rely on my BlueChip number saving me a lot of time in line. I think it was Maui last time, there must have been 50 people in line. I walked up, got my paperwork, and left. I probably saved more than an hour.

Dave
The only rental programs AutoSlash asks about when you are requesting a quote are Alamo and Emerald. Most of our most recent rentals have been through Alamo, so that hasn't been an issue. If there truly is no way to add a rental company number on an AutoSlash reservation after you've made it that could be a deal breaker. But, if there is another rental company that is as cheap, or close, to Thrifty, you might be able to go with that. I just checked the next two rentals we have coming up. One is with Alamo, and one with Budget. Our member number is showing on the reservation for the Budget car rental, but not for the Alamo (there is a note saying member discount not applied, I would guess that's because the discount through AutoSlash/Priceline is more).

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Wow. Ok. That might be a dealbreaker for me then. I rely on my BlueChip number saving me a lot of time in line. I think it was Maui last time, there must have been 50 people in line. I walked up, got my paperwork, and left. I probably saved more than an hour.

Dave

What time of day do you typically arrive? We are scheduled to arrive at 11:40am. I have noticed in the past that the line at Budget in the morning is much shorter than in the afternoon. Not sure if that is typical, but I hope it is.

Best regards.

Mike

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Good news update- We had a great experience today on Maui with Thrifty for our reservation made through Autoslash. The new rental car center, which opened approximately 5 months ago is very nice. You can catch a trolley-like shuttle right across the street from the baggage area. The shuttle takes about 5 minutes to arrive in front of the car rental center. They have two shuttles that go back and forth. Alternatively you can walk there.

Upon arriving at the rental center, Thrifty’s office was directly in front of me. It was approximately 11:30am and there were only 2 people in front of me while the 4 Thrifty/Dollar representatives helped other customers. I only had to wait about 5 minutes before being assisted. The cars are parked in the multi-level structure behind the offices.

Given this experience I wouldn’t hesitate to use autoslash and Thrifty again. Thanks again for the insight others provided to me.

Best regards.

Mike

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Have fun, Mike!

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Another Autoslash question: If they send a message that they found a lower rate for my rental, but I opt to not take that one, will they continue to look, or are they done at that point?

They found a rate that's about $20 lower than I already have, but it's a prepaid rate with a company I don't normally do business with. I don't want to deal with a prepaid rate from anyone. I'd like to continue to hear about lower rate offers. Will Autoslash continue to look for me, or are they done at this point?

Dave

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Another Autoslash question: If they send a message that they found a lower rate for my rental, but I opt to not take that one, will they continue to look, or are they done at that point?

They found a rate that's about $20 lower than I already have, but it's a prepaid rate with a company I don't normally do business with. I don't want to deal with a prepaid rate from anyone. I'd like to continue to hear about lower rate offers. Will Autoslash continue to look for me, or are they done at this point?

Dave
If you don't take that rate AutoSlash will continue to look. I do get the same type of pre-paid offers, or offers with companies I don't want to rent from. I just delete the email and let them continue to look. You may see that same offer (the one you don't want) appear again.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
If you don't take that rate AutoSlash will continue to look. I do get the same type of pre-paid offers, or offers with companies I don't want to rent from. I just delete the email and let them continue to look. You may see that same offer (the one you don't want) appear again.

That’s what’s happened so far. I was wondering if they’d keep sending me that same rate offer I don’t want, or if they’d move to another offer if I didn’t respond.

Dave

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
That’s what’s happened so far. I was wondering if they’d keep sending me that same rate offer I don’t want, or if they’d move to another offer if I didn’t respond.

Dave
My experience is they keep sending it, although not daily. They will eventually send you another offer if one comes up that is better than your current rate. So be sure to check each email you get.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
+1 I never sign up for the prepaid offers. Although you can cancel them I worry that if you sign up for those Autoslash will have little incentive to send you more. Plus I don't want to lock up my funds if I don't have to.

I simply wait and usually get more. I find that the best offers come in about 6 weeks prior to the date although some will come in prior. I just keep ratcheting the reservations down.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
My experience is they keep sending it, although not daily. They will eventually send you another offer if one comes up that is better than your current rate. So be sure to check each email you get.

I have been checking. I have four different reservations I'm trying to let Autoslash find a better rate for. So far, only one is better. We'll see what develops.

Dave

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I have been checking. I have four different reservations I'm trying to let Autoslash find a better rate for. So far, only one is better. We'll see what develops.

Dave
As you know I'm a firm believer in AutoSlash at this point. Occasionally I will still go in and check Costco to see if they have a lower rate, but haven't found one yet. I will start out with Costco, then register that rental with AutoSlash.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
A 5 day rental I have in California for December has gone down $25 since September 8 when I booked it. Last reduction was October 27.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
As you know I'm a firm believer in AutoSlash at this point. Occasionally I will still go in and check Costco to see if they have a lower rate, but haven't found one yet. I will start out with Costco, then register that rental with AutoSlash.

That's what I've done with my four separate reservations. Keep hoping for a better deal, but so far, only one that was better has come in. So I took that, canceled the original, and re-registered the new rate with Autoslash. Hoping for the best. :)

Dave

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
That's what I've done with my four separate reservations. Keep hoping for a better deal, but so far, only one that was better has come in. So I took that, canceled the original, and re-registered the new rate with Autoslash. Hoping for the best. :)

Dave
How far out are your reservations? I have the one for December and I have another one for Maui in Feb/Mar. I think it's already gone down once, but I do expect/hope it will drop again.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
How far out are your reservations? I have the one for December and I have another one for Maui in Feb/Mar. I think it's already gone down once, but I do expect/hope it will drop again.

One is end of December in Las Vegas, the other three are next August in Hawaii (three different islands.)

The current non-Autoslash res (through Costco) for LV is actually pretty good, considering it's Christmas/New Year's week. If that doesn't change, I'm fine with it, even though I'm hoping for a deal. The Hawaii reservations are all still way too high, compared to what I've paid in the past. Those three are the ones I'm hoping will drop by quite a bit.

Dave

linsj

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
It's way too early for the Hawaii reservations to come down. I don't use Autoslash but book directly with National (for the free days rewards and being able to pick out an SUV for the price of a much cheaper car). When I booked for this past September on the Big Island, the price was way too high and even went up over several months. Then about 5 weeks before, it dropped a couple hundred, then dropped two more times. I ended up paying half of what the original price was. I'd have to look it up, but I was pleased with what I paid for two weeks. So quit obsessing about Hawaii. ;)

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
So quit obsessing about Hawaii. ;)
Oh, I don't think Dave is obsessing. When you plan ahead you just keep an eye on everything.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Oh, I don't think Dave is obsessing. When you plan ahead you just keep an eye on everything.

You’re right. And now that airfare and the timeshares are booked and paid for, the car rental rates are about the only detail left to get locked down. This is my first experience trying to use Autoslash, so I’m still trying to figure out how it all works.

I’ll also be curious to see if Costco’s discounted rates for next year start around December 10th, as they usually do.

Dave

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
You’re right. And now that airfare and the timeshares are booked and paid for, the car rental rates are about the only detail left to get locked down. This is my first experience trying to use Autoslash, so I’m still trying to figure out how it all works.

I’ll also be curious to see if Costco’s discounted rates for next year start around December 10th, as they usually do.

Dave
It's all part of the game. :D

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
It's all part of the game. :D

Indeed it is. :) And truth be told, I continuously check car rental rates right down to the wire every time I travel. I think it was my trip to New Orleans last Spring, I was able to rebook the day before arrival, and I saved a huge amount of money. Like half. And I'd been watching all along. I checked rates "one more time," and was surprised to find such a huge discount, that close to check-in.

Dave

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
We have going to SW Florida (fly into Tampa, Fort Myers or Fort Lauderdale) for Christmas and/or New Year's week most years for the last ~20 years, and that is one place/time where I have rarely seen a car rental price drop as it gets closer to our travel date. In fact, I try to book as far in advance as I can. Anything within the last couple of months, and the price is outrageous -- upwards of $1000+ for a week! I used to check at least weekly for months and I now use autoslash, but it never comes up with a better deal than I get buy booking 9+ months in advance (and that is still not usually cheap -- I think I average $400/week for a midsize).

Kurt

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
+1 I never sign up for the prepaid offers. Although you can cancel them I worry that if you sign up for those Autoslash will have little incentive to send you more. Plus I don't want to lock up my funds if I don't have to.

I simply wait and usually get more. I find that the best offers come in about 6 weeks prior to the date although some will come in prior. I just keep ratcheting the reservations down.

We did the prepay before and then Autoslash came in with another offer of about $200 less (this was on a 20 day rental). I had no problem getting the refund back on my credit card and booking the newer lower rate.
Bart

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
We did the prepay before and then Autoslash came in with another offer of about $200 less (this was on a 20 day rental). I had no problem getting the refund back on my credit card and booking the newer lower rate.
Bart
What I don't like about prepay is having the money "gone" ahead of time. And that's stupid. I do the same thing with airlines tickets, items I buy online.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
So it seems Autoslash is keeping its eye on things. In recent days I've received lower price discounts on two of my three upcoming reservations, (one reservation lowered twice), for my trip to Hawaii next Summer. I've booked the new rate, cancelled the old reservations, and asked Autoslash to keep watching. So far, so good. I'm still checking my go-to sites (Costco and Discount Hawaii), but everything is registered with Autoslash, too. We'll see how it works out, going forward. Fingers crossed.

Dave