• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westgate cancellation

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Keep this in mind.

You can certainly close any credit card, regardless if you still owe a balance and the company that issued the credit card shouldn't require you to pay off that balance before they close it. If you're concerned about you're credit remember, even though it's closed you'll still be expected to make that monthly minimum payment. Also, closing the card won't relieve you of the monthly interest charge. Your balance, with any additional interest, will still be charged interest again each and every month until that balance is paid off.

You need to understand too that, closing any credit card rarely, if ever, helps your credit. That card will continue to be reported to the major credit bureaus, but with "Closed" now marked on it. Your payment history for that card will still be updated each month regardless if you make the payment or don't.

Peppers

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate
I had 10 days but it's been 20 and I want to cancel what can I do?

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Nothing. Westgate won't let you rescind. They will play hardball to keep you paying the mortgage and the annual fees. After it's paid off you can sell, if you can find a buyer, but since they strip any owner bennies from resales, you won't have many buyers. Or you can pay them even more to deed it back to them. I'm sorry, and wish we'd had this conversation back about Aug. 1.

Jim

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

Congratulations (not really). You are the proud owner of a Wastegate Timeshare.

It's too late to rescind, so make the very best use of it that you can. Maybe you can use it for yourself, trade it in Interval International, or rent it out.

Likely the best thing for you to do is to get it paid off and then unload it. You won't get anything for it but at least you won't have the expense of annual fees.

Some here will ask how much you paid, but I am curious as to how you were hooked to attend the presentation in which you made the mistake in buying?

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1

It's too late to rescind, so make the very best use of it that you can. Maybe you can use it for yourself, trade it in Interval International, or rent it out.

Likely the best thing for you to do is to get it paid off and then unload it. You won't get anything for it but at least you won't have the expense of annual fees.

Some here will ask how much you paid, but I am curious as to how you were hooked to attend the presentation in which you made the mistake in buying?

I try not to salt the wound. I’ve long added Wastegate to TS I would never consider. I’d rather jump off the third floor than accept a free Wastegate TS.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

FYI. This did make me laugh.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe I can help you feel a little better. We took a poll a few months ago, and found that about half of TUGgers did exactly what you did. We bought retail from one of those sales weasels too and didn't get the rescission done in time. It's going to be OK. The reasons you decided to buy are still valid. Yes, you paid more than you could have, but it's OK. So now, buckle down and pay it off. As soon as you can. DO NOT SIGN UP WITH ONE OF THOSE 'GET YOU OUT OF YOUR TIMESHARE' OUTFITS!!! They are even worse thieves than Wastegate- if that's possible. They will take even more of your money and you'll still own the TS. Stick around TUG. Join. It's $15, and gives you access to resort reviews, so you can decide where to go. You can also see rare and desirable places that are hard to get into.

Right now you are probably feeling taken advantage of but don't. They are trained to do what they do- take advantage of vulnerable young buyers.

Stick around TUG. Learn to USE it, or to rent your time out if you need to reduce your expenses.

Don't go away and ignore the debt or payments. It won't just be forgiven if you do. It will just get worse.

Welcome to TUG.

Jim

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi everyone! I'm new to TUG and I'm so thankful I found this forum. I recently purchased a Westgate timeshare and thanks to this forum I was able to rescind on the sale within the allotted 10 days. However, during the sale I applied for the Westgate mastercard in order to pay the downpayment of $800. I called the customer care center for the Westgate Rewards Mastercard and informed them that I had rescinded and would like to close the account. The lady I spoke with stated that she would go ahead and cancel is as per my request and would mail a confirmation letter to my address. However, she stated that the balance of $800 still remains due and the minimum payment of $30 is due on Aug 20th. I know I shouldn't contact Westgate but should I just wait until they issue the credit? Or should I dispute the bill once I receive it? I do not want this to mess up my credit and I don't want to be stuck paying for the $800 that I technically don't have. Any help is appreciated.
@unicorn213
We hope that your rescission went well and that you are enjoying life without the financial burden of a developer/resort TS. Solely to track how much TS owners have saved, mind sharing how much you saved with the rescission? As half of all tuggers initially bought developer/resort TS, there is no shaming involved.

Coco6366

Reaction score
Hi! My boyfriend and I just got into a timeshare with Westgate Lakes on 10/5/19 BEFORE I found this forum. I already had buyers remorse and this page definitely tipped me over the "cancel" edge. I found this letter template (attached) in one of the forums, added our information and sent it on the 11th via certified mail. I've also mailed the binder, tablet, gift cards, owner cards, contract, and even the cheap pens they gave us. I also kept copies of EVERY paper. Also, the contract number we put was the loan ID/Owner number. Was this number correct? Also, should this be enough for them to process our contract cancellation?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191012-210615_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20191012-210615_Samsung Internet.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 20

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi! My boyfriend and I just got into a timeshare with Westgate Lakes on 10/5/19 BEFORE I found this forum. I already had buyers remorse and this page definitely tipped me over the "cancel" edge. I found this letter template (attached) in one of the forums, added our information and sent it on the 11th via certified mail. I've also mailed the binder, tablet, gift cards, owner cards, contract, and even the cheap pens they gave us. I also kept copies of EVERY paper. Also, the contract number we put was the loan ID/Owner number. Was this number correct? Also, should this be enough for them to process our contract cancellation?

Thanks!
It looks like you are a quick study! Congratulations. Your rescission should go through just fine. It is clear that your intention is to cancel, so they have no choice but to process the rescission.

Now there is some pressure waiting for the refund to be credited back to you, and they have no responsibility to inform you. Now, don't rush into buying something. We recommend that you try renting TSs for the next few vacations. Try different systems. Today's annual fees are so high that rentals can actually be less, so look in then TUG Marketplace (in the blue stripe above) or eBay or Redweek. Lots of choices. But most importantly:

Welcome to TUG!

Jim

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
It looks like you are a quick study! Congratulations. Your rescission should go through just fine. It is clear that your intention is to cancel, so they have no choice but to process the rescission.

Now there is some pressure waiting for the refund to be credited back to you, and they have no responsibility to inform you. Now, don't rush into buying something. We recommend that you try renting TSs for the next few vacations. Try different systems. Today's annual fees are so high that rentals can actually be less, so look in then TUG Marketplace (in the blue stripe above) or eBay or Redweek. Lots of choices. But most importantly:

Welcome to TUG!

Jim

Oh, and just a little old guy advice. I know you love your boyfriend, but do yourself a favor. DO NOT entangle yourselves financially until and unless there is a more concrete legal committment. (like marriage) It is just not smart from a legal standpoint.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Thanks!
Make sure both you and your bf sign the rescission letter. Looks like Florida has a ten day rescission period. How much would you save with rescission?

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
Peppers, I'm not going rub salt.

Yes, Westgate is not a recommended purchase, but we own there too. We were absorbed into the Westgate collective. While Westgate has HORRIBLE sales practices, the properties are well maintained. Customer service is top notch. The Westgate branded CC has some nice perks, IF you pay before interest kicks in.

As a retail purchaser, you have more options to trade within the Westgate system than any resale purchase. Stop, breathe and consider how to enjoy time with your family and how to avoid the trap in the future.

Explore trading options within Interval International.

Please come back to TUG, learn how to use your new toy. Use it to create positive experiences from now on. The best present timeshares gave me was that it "forced" me to take time and go someplace different with the family. It has made our lives richer.

AND to reenforce what others have said, don't compound a mistake with an unscrupulous (are there any with scruples?) timeshare exit company.

Life is short, find the joy.

Coco6366

Reaction score

Welcome to TUG!

Jim

Welcome to TUG!

Jim
Thank you Jim! I tend to overthink things and (as everyone I've seen in these forums) get anxiety over doing things right. My aunt owns a timeshare there and we normally use it when traveling. I like the amenitues, benefits and everything BUT I felt like we were pressured into buying. I was present when my aunt bought hers and this time they made us give them our IDs. They photocopied them and the seller then told us that they keep record of everyone that attends their presentations so that the offers we got that they weren't available later if we decided not to buy that day. Then, they told us our HOA amount but when I saw the contract I noticed the big dreadful word ESTIMATED. I'm an accountant so I know well what they mean by that so I wasn't comfortable. I did certified mail in the letter, and certified mail and return receipt on the package. Hopefully they'll process it without any inconvenience. In the meantime, we've blocked their numbers and the sales rep number so that they won't be able to reach us. Since we live in PR, any number that is not 787 area code is pretty much an alert that it could be them.

Thanks again for your input and will definitely look for other options before making any decisions.

Coco6366

Reaction score
Make sure both you and your bf sign the rescission letter. Looks like Florida has a ten day rescission period. How much would you save with rescission?
We both did sign it and sent it on the 6th day (we're still within those 10 days today). We bought a 2 bedroom deluxe for $18,000 so DP was about $1,909. They'll have to refund the DP and we won't have to pay the additional $16,000. Once I receive the DP, I'll be a very happy camper.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
.....I felt like we were pressured into buying. I was present when my aunt bought hers and this time they made us give them our IDs. They photocopied them and the seller then told us that they keep record of everyone that attends their presentations so that the offers we got that they weren't available later if we decided not to buy that day. Then, they told us our HOA amount but when I saw the contract I noticed the big dreadful word ESTIMATED. I'm an accountant so I know well what they mean by that so I wasn't comfortable. I did certified mail in the letter, and certified mail and return receipt on the package. Hopefully they'll process it without any inconvenience. In the meantime, we've blocked their numbers and the sales rep number so that they won't be able to reach us. Since we live in PR, any number that is not 787 area code is pretty much an alert that it could be them.
More salesweasel's lies. Just a game to pressure you to buy on impulse. The same 'deal' will be available next week, next month, next year. Wastegate is famous (notorious?) here for taking ALL the allowable 45 days to refund a down payment- so don't be surprised. Westgate has nice resorts, but their predatory sales practices are the pits. Oh, one more thing, in case you're tempted to buy a WG resale, know that they strip all owner perks from resales- like exchangeability, internal trades, exclusion from All Inclusive fees, and on and on. So scratch them off your shopping list.

Coco6366

Reaction score
More salesweasel's lies. Just a game to pressure you to buy on impulse. The same 'deal' will be available next week, next month, next year. Wastegate is famous (notorious?) here for taking ALL the allowable 45 days to refund a down payment- so don't be surprised. Westgate has nice resorts, but their predatory sales practices are the pits. Oh, one more thing, in case you're tempted to buy a WG resale, know that they strip all owner perks from resales- like exchangeability, internal trades, exclusion from All Inclusive fees, and on and on. So scratch them off your shopping list.
I didn't know they stripped the owner benefits from resales. Thanks for the tip!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate
My husband and i gave half of our down payment in cash and the other in credit card i wrote my cancelation notice and saw in my email it was recieved does anyone know how the cash will be reimbursed?

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My husband and i gave half of our down payment in cash and the other in credit card i wrote my cancelation notice and saw in my email it was recieved does anyone know how the cash will be reimbursed?
Hopefully in a check. Be sure that both your and your husband signed the rescission letter. What was the price of your TS?

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate
Hopefully in a check. Be sure that both your and your husband signed the rescission letter. What was the price of your TS?
Yes we both did and it was 14,000 and when i called to cancel they said someone just got rid of theirs and we could keep it for 7000

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes we both did and it was 14,000 and when i called to cancel they said someone just got rid of theirs and we could keep it for 7000
A) you cannot cancel by telephone. You MUST do it in writing. and
B) more lies. They will say ANYTHING to sell you this. You are FAR better off to rescind as long as you are in the legally allowable time period, and HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH WASTEGATE!

Jim

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Send in the signed letter by both your and your husband certified. Do not call Westgate or accept calls from unknown numbers.

Westgate timeshares are worth about $1. Don’t buy these. But this is an example of FL TS you can get for free. https://www.timesharenation.com/timeshares

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate
Send in the signed letter by both your and your husband certified. Do not call Westgate or accept calls from unknown numbers.

Westgate timeshares are worth about $1. Don’t buy these. But this is an example of FL TS you can get for free. https://www.timesharenation.com/t
Its been about a week since i sent my canelation letter it was still within the 10 days should i call them to make sure they got the letter i feel uneasy about the cancelation i hope they don't try to do run aroundd or something sneaky