• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What is the 1 bedroom Room suite like at Westin Kaanapali (not the north one)

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
View attachment 14452

Here are the OV and IV villas for Building 4.
There are no IV Villas in Buildings 2 or 3.

I am not convinced. The chart clearly says there are island views in the red shaded areas on first and second floors. The attachment only shows views in building 4. Is there a similar list for buildings 2 and 3?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I am not convinced. The chart clearly says there are island views in the red shaded areas on first and second floors. The attachment only shows views in building 4. Is there a similar list for buildings 2 and 3?

The WKORV CCRs do not show IV villas for Buildings 2&3.

If you own WKORV - the current CCRs are on Vistana website in the specific HOA section. The villa description listings are in the end of 1st section.

The CCRs are a legal document. The map is not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
The WKORV CCRs do not show IV villas for Buildings 2&3.

If you own WKORV - the current CCRs are on Vistana website in the specific HOA section. The villa description listings are in the end of 1st section.

The CCRs are a legal document. The map is not.

Found it, you are right! The map is wrong then, in its comment saying there are island views in red shaded areas on floors 1 and 2. This is incorrect then.

Ryes

Reaction score
Does it make any difference if i buy a fixed week 2 bedroom LO or a floating week 2 bedroom LO?

Also is it true u must reservations for a week from sat to sat only?

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Owners paid about 10% more to fix a week, and an additional 10% over that if they wanted to fix the unit.

If you alway want to travel on a given week and don't want to worry about having to reserve it 12 months out, it might make sense to get a fixed week. Hyatt ownership is set to fixed weeks. You can still reserve other time periods, just as if you had a floating week. If you want to go for Christmas and New Year, you pretty much have to buy a fixed week 51 or 52. Those are considered event weeks and only owners of those weeks can go at that time.

Personally, I don't go at the same time every year and would get no value out of a fixed week. It is a big reason that I don't own at places with fixed weeks only. When all units are fixed weeks, it makes it hard to trade for other time periods. At WKORV the majority of weeks float, so this isn't much of an issue.

celica7101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV/N, Westin Nanea, Westin Flex
Thanks everyone for all your help! I put in an offer yesterday with syed and hopefully it passes rofr.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

celica7101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Unfortunately, neither side of the Island view units has strong rental demand, because in the south phase, Island View = parking lot view or back of Bldg. view. (See the light blue area on the map below.)

I would certainly not buy an Island View deed. It's not a good value when you consider that the ocean front, ocean view, and island view units all have the SAME maintenance fee. Save up and buy an ocean view - at least. And of course, buy resale and save a fortune. To be quite honest, I would not accept an IV deed at this resort even if it were free.

View attachment 14440

Denise — would like to year your thoughts on this a bit more. Why would you not accept a IV deed at WKORV? I was thinking about this exact scenario where a 2BR OF unit is not enough space, if one wanted to travel with extended family. Seems like having everyone hang out in one main unit and having more space for a “sleeper” seems fine and it significantly cuts the initial cost.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Denise — would like to year your thoughts on this a bit more. Why would you not accept a IV deed at WKORV? I was thinking about this exact scenario where a 2BR OF unit is not enough space, if one wanted to travel with extended family. Seems like having everyone hang out in one main unit and having more space for a “sleeper” seems fine and it significantly cuts the initial cost.

There are only two 2Bd LO floor plans at WKORV regardless if OF, OV, or IV - Premium and Deluxe.
The Deluxe (corner) is larger, but comes with a hefty MF compared to Premium.
(I posted the difference in an above post)
So... it is unclear what you are discussing in regards to room.

The point about not buying IV is that you want B2/B3 (OV with OF the closest to ocean) and not B4 (mostly IV). If you are a HomeResort Owner - you very unlikely to get a poor villa as long as reserved during HR period (8-12 months out) - and no chance if closer to 12 months out.

When people discuss Parking Lot views are mostly from people exchanging in using SOs (late reservations) or II.

That map is not entirely correct.

My recommendation if you are buying 2Bd LO at WKORV is to buy OV (resale). And reserve as early as possible (12 months out).

DeniseM will likely agree for most part.

For WKORV - I would rank the 2Bd LO villas as OFC, then OFD if you can afford OF.
Otherwise, only buy 2Bd LO OV (Premier). IMO

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
As I understand it - there are 4 floor plans:

2 Bdm. lock-off: Ocean Front Deluxe/Island View Deluxe

2 Bdm. lock-off: Ocean Front center (has 2 lanais so different than ocean/island view)

2 Bdm. lock-off: Ocean View/Island View (has 1 lanai)

1 Bdm. Standard: Ocean View (stand alone 1 bdm - not part of a lock-off)

Last edited:

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)

If extra sleeping quarters is your only real criterion, buy a Westin Kierland 2bd platinum, a mandatory unit with 148100 StarOptions, and then reserve a 2bd WKORVN at the eight month mark using those StarOptions. It will be an easy reservation unless you are traveling during summer. The two resorts (WKORV and WKORVN) are adjacent and there are no bad views at WKORVN (as opposed to the infamous parking lot view for many IV units at WKORV).

The buy-in costs are comparable, but MF's at Kierland = $1,565/yr vs MF's at WKORV = $2,374 (two bedroom in each case). That's an $800 annual difference.

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
If extra sleeping quarters is your only real criterion, buy a Westin Kierland 2bd platinum, a mandatory unit with 148100 StarOptions, and then reserve a 2bd WKORVN at the eight month mark using those StarOptions. It will be an easy reservation unless you are traveling during summer. The two resorts (WKORV and WKORVN) are adjacent and there are no bad views at WKORVN (as opposed to the infamous parking lot view for many IV units at WKORV).

The buy-in costs are comparable, but MF's at Kierland = $1,565/yr vs MF's at WKORV = $2,374 (two bedroom in each case). That's an $800 annual difference.

I generally agree with this strategy (and own WKV), however there are bad locations at WKORVN as well (not as many).
The post was about WKORV itself.

I do think the PL view issue doesn’t impact Owners or SO exchangers that reserve at 8 months ahead (and perhaps not during very high season weeks) . I have never heard of a bad location from someone that reserved well in advance. I have heard complaints from II exchangers.

If location is important (as it can be for some )- Owners get best locations based on WKORV’s algorithm. This would be reason to buy WKORV/N.

Timestamp rules.

Ryes

Reaction score
If u buy oceanfront south though, since there are less of them compared to ocean view, won’t u have less chance of availability if u are after a super high season week?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Yes - you have to make the reservation the second the reservation window opens, but for your efforts, you get the best view at the resort. Timesharing is full of schedules and picky rules - it's not everyone's cup of tea.

celica7101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Yes, in general I agree with your strategy assuming that you're on the ball and can get the second reservation at midnight, 8 months out.

I forgot to mention that I was looking at EOY selections so the price is only $4000-6000 depending on WKORV or WKORV/N.

I have never seen a Platinum WKV EOY offering on redweek before. Also, in general the pool of WKV platinum 2BR units for sale seems to be fairly low volume whereas there seem to be a fair number of people trying to unload their EOY Island View units.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Yes, in general I agree with your strategy assuming that you're on the ball and can get the second reservation at midnight, 8 months out.

I forgot to mention that I was looking at EOY selections so the price is only $4000-6000 depending on WKORV or WKORV/N.

I have never seen a Platinum WKV EOY offering on redweek before. Also, in general the pool of WKV platinum 2BR units for sale seems to be fairly low volume whereas there seem to be a fair number of people trying to unload their EOY Island View units.

Even comparing EOY to EY, the per use cost for WKORV will still be substantially more than WKV.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
If u buy oceanfront south though, since there are less of them compared to ocean view, won’t u have less chance of availability if u are after a super high season week?

This is not correct. The chances are the same except that more OF owners may have fixed these high season weeks (like Prez Day or 4th July week, etc.)

Remember that there is a 1:1 relationship between Owners and Villa type. Meaning there are less OF villas, but there are also less Owners proportionally.

Last edited:

Ryes

Reaction score
Yes - you have to make the reservation the second the reservation window opens, but for your efforts, you get the best view at the resort. Timesharing is full of schedules and picky rules - it's not everyone's cup of tea.
If they have no oceanfront left when u try to book are u able to ask for an oceanview (if u own oceanfront)

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
If they have no oceanfront left when u try to book are u able to ask for an oceanview (if u own oceanfront)

No.