• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Buy Resale and Retire F/T in Timeshares - Anyone do that yet?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
As a homebody, I couldn't do it, but we do travel 10-12 weeks/yr and have been doing that for many years, way before Rick even retired from the fire department. I am so glad to get back home after each trip.

Our cat is getting old and won't eat much anymore, which has us concerned we will lose him, which has kept me from taking trips for more than 2 weeks at a time. My stepdad cares for the cat when we are gone. He is going to be 85 this year, in a few days, so we cannot count on him forever.

We have a plan to travel more during the winter months at some point, but maybe not. Still a homebody. Colorado is a beautiful place to live, but it's changed a lot in recent years with the legalization of marijuana. Denver and the suburbs are expanding quickly.

We get our airfare free by putting everything on credit cards, but we did just pay actual money for our airfare to Italy in April-May. We are going on a cruise with our son, daughter-in-law and granddaughter. This is a cruise for DIL's 40th birthday, so we are tagging along. She found a really good deal on airfare in Delta One. It's three weeks, and I am so hesitant to go for three weeks.

A.Win

TUG Member
Reaction score
Many people have written about cruising and timeshares for long term stays. Here is another variation to consider:

All inclusives in Mexico and the DR can be about $70 per person per night or less. So this is under $500/week per person. I am a member at one resort that allows me to pay less than $500 per week and I get the entire room to myself (if I travel alone). This includes being next to a beautiful beach as well as unlimited food, drinks, activities, and entertainment.

You can also alternate this with timeshare or AirBNB stays. This allows you to lose the weight you gained while staying at the all inclusive.

CanadaGuyEh

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacation - 2 platinums, Wyndham - 1 week, WorldMark 2 weeks
I think that you will find that if you are out of Canada for more than 6 months a year that you will lose your Universal Health Care.
Have been offshore expat for 10 years - no medical. Have to go back and stay 3 months to get back on if ever needed - but probably won't bother =) Just live it out.

CanadaGuyEh

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacation - 2 platinums, Wyndham - 1 week, WorldMark 2 weeks
Ontario, BC and Manitoba have an out-of-province allowance of seven months. All other provinces and territories (with the exception of Newfoundland & Labrador) require you to be present for six months. Newfoundland & Labrador require only a four-month domestic residency.
Thanks for that - will look at that if ever need - right now am not a resident of any province - am just CDN.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Have been staying at Marriott Koolina beach club for the past few years. Here is a breakdown of weeks at Koolina. We also own HGVC and DVC weeks/points. At MKO and MVC weeks were for 1br units or larger. HGVC are also 1br units or larger but DVC is a mix of studios to 1br units.

2013 25 weeks at MKO, 2 weeks at other MVC properties in US, 2 weeks with HGVC and 8 weeks at DVC
2014 34 weeks at MKO, 5 weeks at other MVC properties in US, 3 weeks with HGVC, 1 week with Westin and 2 weeks at DVC
2015 34 weeks at MKO, 7 weeks at other MVC properties in US, 5 weeks with HGVC and 2 weeks at DVC
2016 43 weeks at MKO, 2 weeks at other MVC properties in US, 1 week with HGVC and 2 weeks at DVC
2017 42 weeks at MKO, 2 weeks at other MVC properties in US, 2 weeks with HGVC, 1 week at Westin and 2 weeks at DVC
2018 42 weeks at MKO, 4 weeks with HGVC and 2 weeks with DVC
2019 40 weeks at MKO, 1 week at other MVC property in US, 4 weeks with HGVC, 1 week at Westin and 1 week at DVC

All weeks in HGVC and MVC were bought resale. DVC is a mixture of mostly resale and some direct points. Just about 6 weeks ago I did a direct purchase of DC points to enroll a little over half of MVC weeks into the DC points program.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
Have been staying at Marriott Koolina beach club for the past few years. Here is a breakdown of weeks at Koolina. We also own HGVC and DVC weeks/points. At MKO and MVC weeks were for 1br units or larger. HGVC are also 1br units or larger but DVC is a mix of studios to 1br units.

2013 25 weeks at MKO, 2 weeks at other MVC properties in US, 2 weeks with HGVC and 8 weeks at DVC
2014 34 weeks at MKO, 5 weeks at other MVC properties in US, 3 weeks with HGVC, 1 week with Westin and 2 weeks at DVC
2015 34 weeks at MKO, 7 weeks at other MVC properties in US, 5 weeks with HGVC and 2 weeks at DVC
2016 43 weeks at MKO, 2 weeks at other MVC properties in US, 1 week with HGVC and 2 weeks at DVC
2017 42 weeks at MKO, 2 weeks at other MVC properties in US, 2 weeks with HGVC, 1 week at Westin and 2 weeks at DVC
2019 40 weeks at MKO, 1 week at other MVC property in US, 4 weeks with HGVC, 1 week at Westin and 1 week at DVC

All weeks in HGVC and MVC were bought resale. DVC is a mixture of mostly resale and some direct points. Just about 6 weeks ago I did a direct purchase of DC points to enroll a little over half of MVC weeks into the DC points program.

I think you deserve to be added to the two couples who TS FT.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

That’s amazing. You averaged 47 weeks in TS for the last 7 years.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Have been staying at Marriott Koolina beach club for the past few years. Here is a breakdown of weeks at Koolina. We also own HGVC and DVC .....

All weeks in HGVC and MVC were bought resale.......

Just curious - where do you stay the other 5 weeks in 2019 etc ?
I don’t mean specific / just family / cruise / trips to xx - etc.

also -I assume your comparison is full ownership beachfront property in the Koolina area - and that the upfront +carrying cost of that would be more $ .

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Just curious - where do you stay the other 5 weeks in 2019 etc ?
I don’t mean specific / just family / cruise / trips to xx - etc.

also -I assume your comparison is full ownership beachfront property in the Koolina area - and that the upfront +carrying cost of that would be more $ .

Mostly cruising. Spent 2 weeks cruising Alaska and one week on land from Seward to Denali. Next month will be cruising out of Galveston in the Caribbean. Then back to MKO for the rest of 2019 except for Christmas and New Years at Hilton Hawaiian Village Lagoon Tower.

Full ownership next door at Koolina Beach Villas would have cost over 1.4 mil for a 2br/2ba. Carrying cost would have been less than a TS with exchange fees.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mostly cruising. Spent 2 weeks cruising Alaska and one week on land from Seward to Denali. Next month will be cruising out of Galveston in the Caribbean. Then back to MKO for the rest of 2019 except for Christmas and New Years at Hilton Hawaiian Village Lagoon Tower.

Full ownership next door at Koolina Beach Villas would have cost over 1.4 mil for a 2br/2ba. Carrying cost would have been less than a TS with exchange fees.

I would say you live the dream.

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation

So how many KoOlina weeks do you own vs other Marriott weeks?

Do you have a sense for how much less your buy-in timeshare costs for the KoOlina trades were vs how much more the carrying costs are and at what point you’d have been better off buying at KoOlina Beach Villas?

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Fred808, how do you handle state and federal taxes? Are you considered a resident of Hawaii? What do you use for your legal address? Do you get to stay i the same unit or do you move around a lot?

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So how many KoOlina weeks do you own vs other Marriott weeks?

Do you have a sense for how much less your buy-in timeshare costs for the KoOlina trades were vs how much more the carrying costs are and at what point you’d have been better off buying at KoOlina Beach Villas?

Actually I dont own any koolina weeks. All MVC weeks are on the mainland US. The buy in for all my MVC weeks was approximately 60k. MF for those weeks comes out to about 38k annually. With my purchase price for the marriott units vs mortgage and monthly mf of the Beach villa unit, it would not work in my lifetime.

Fred808, how do you handle state and federal taxes? Are you considered a resident of Hawaii? What do you use for your legal address? Do you get to stay i the same unit or do you move around a lot?

I still keep a home here that is about 7 minutes down the road from MKO. I use my home address and since i reside on Oahu more than 50% of the year I am a hawaii resident.

I have to move around if the room codes are not exactly alike. We were in the same unit for 2 weeks in Aug and will be in this current unit for 4 weeks since it was the same zzaa code. But next week Friday we have to move to NAIA tower.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Last edited:

cowboy

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score

Were you able to enroll any post 2010 resale purchases? How do you trade into Ko Olina? Is it thru Interval International or directly with Marriott?

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Were you able to enroll any post 2010 resale purchases? How do you trade into Ko Olina? Is it thru Interval International or directly with Marriott?
Yes, end of July I was able to enroll a bunch of weeks by buying DC points retail from MVC.

I trade via II for MKO from day 1. Will still be trading via II but the enrolled weeks will not cost me exchange fees anymore. I really dont think I will be using DC points much for any stays here at MKO.

Now for me this works as I have a home here. Doesn't matter to me if I get a trade or not.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you rent out the home since you are gone so many weeks?

djpotts50

Reaction score
Full-time RV & Timeshares ( no fixed location)
Resorts Owned
WorldMark, Vacation Internationale, Thousand Trails
I have been living in RV Campgrounds, Timeshares, and Cruise Ships for 9 years now. I could live full-time in any one of the three, but prefer mixing it up for the sake of variety. I DO NOT own a sticks-n-bricks type of home.

Thousand Trails Ultimate Odyssey campground membership: 108 campgrounds, park-to-park with no system out time requirement, 28 day stays. Yearly maintenance is $585.00

WorldMark 105,000 credits Non-housekeeping account (equivalent to Wyndham Plantinum Travelshaft): about 100 timeshares. Yearly maintenance is $7,340.28.

Vacation Internationale Prestige-Platinum 373 points: about 45 timeshares. Yearly maintenance is $2,705.22.

Cruises: average $100.00 per day per person all inclusive (except alcohol). Last minute cruises can be had for about $40.00 to $75.00 per day per person.

Also have memberships in Coast-to-Coast, RPI, Passport America (Discount camping); Interval International & RCI (Timeshare exchanging & discount cash deals).

This allows us to live in all three, travel full-time, and do so on a very frugal budget. I have also considered a house-boat or yacht as a substitute for an RV, and the costs fall in line to be nearly the same. Super Mario lives on RCCL for $75,000 per year all inclusive (except alcohol), so living on a cruise ship is also doable for some.

Check out my Retirement website for more info - http://ddwt.us.

Last edited:

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've played around with the numbers to live out of our timeshares and contemplated doing it. Thanks Joan and Ron for letting me pick your brain at the Orlando TUG get togethers.

We had planned to start going 6-12 weeks at a time to different areas of the country now that my husband is retired. This summer was not part of the plan but has just kept morphing into a longer stay away than we ever thought. We left home on July 18 to stay at our son's and go to a long weekend event for my 50th class reunion. The original plan was to go from their house to Glacier Canyon for just 6 nights then bring their girls back to Florida with us for a couple of weeks.

Wyndham Glacier Canyon, July 28-August 5, 8 nights, 210,000 points, 2 bedroom deluxe **6 nights booked at full points. FWIW it didn't actually kill me. The two additional nights were upgraded.

Brought our 2 granddaughters back to Florida with us for the stay in Orlando and a side trip to Clearwater.

Worldmark Reunion, August 4-18, 14 nights, booked with our RCI points account, 15,000 points and $478 exchange fees, 3 bedroom deluxe

Wyndham Clearwater, August 8-9, 1 night, 15,000 points, 2 bedroom presidential, upgraded.

Wyndham Bonnet Creek, August 17-24, RCI points account, 7500 points + $239 exchange fee. August 24-28, 35,250 Wyndham points. 2 bedroom dlx, 11 nights. The 4 extra nights were upgraded.

Got home from Orlando and flying the granddaughters back to Ohio to find that our AC was out. Florida 90 degree heat and no AC, I'm not staying there! We live 15-20 minutes from Palm-Aire so I booked us into Palm-Aire while the part was being shipped and the repair done.

Wyndham Palm-Aire, August 27-30, 3 nights, 18,000 points, 2 bedroom presidential, upgraded.

Slept in our own bed for 6 hours then ran from Dorian. I booked whatever worked to get us out of any possible path of the hurricane.

Fairfield Glade, August 31, 1 night, 9250 points, 4 bedroom presidential, upgraded.

Wyndham Nashville, September 1-3, 2 nights, 12,000 points, 1 bedroom deluxe, no upgrade.

Fairfield Glade, September 3-6, 3 nights, 12,000 points, 4 bedroom presidential, upgraded.

Fairfield Plantation, September 6-7, 1 night, 6500 points, studio, no upgrade yet and not expecting one.

Lighthouse Resort and Club, Sanibel, September 7-14, 7 nights, RCi points account, 7500 points and $239 exchange fee, 3 bedroom unit.

51 nights. Total cost $ 2828.06, $55.46 per night.
Used 318,000 Wyndham points, $1666.73 in maintenance fees. Used 30,000 RCI points, $205,33 in maintenance fees and $956 in exchange fees.

The 6 full point nights at Glacier Canyon, mfs $969.64, really brought the total cost up but the rest of the nights were cheap by comparison. If I deduct that stay it makes 45 nights at a cost of $1858.42, $41.30 per night. If I was trying to do this as cheaply as possible I wouldn't have had a night overlap between the Reunion stay and the Bonnet Creek stay. That was for our convenience in moving resorts. I also wouldn't have stayed at Bonnet Creek but would have picked Star Island or Cypress Palms because those extra 4 nights we needed would have been less points at Star Island or Cypress Palms.

It should be noted that except for the 6 full point nights at Glacier Canyon none of this was booked more than 3 weeks out and some of it the same day or within just a couple of days! I'm kind of impressed how it all came together when I needed it to. I've always told my husband that when we start going for several months at a time that I was confident that between our Wyndham and RCI points and last call weeks I could always find us something without having to plan months ahead of time.

Having the timeshares is a real blessing because it gave us the option of having an inexpensive place to run to, not sticking around to see what Dorian was going to do and possibly not being able to leave if we waited too long. Even without a direct hit there are still high winds that take down trees and cause power outages. Sometimes for several days. As my husband knew just how hot it was in our house while he waited for the repairman to come there was no way I wanted to risk having to live like that for several days. We got home from Palm-Aire packed what we needed, closed the house back up, ate dinner, went to bed and were on the road at 1:30AM. Traffic on the turnpike was minimal so that part of our plan worked beautifully. After 4.5 hours of driving we stopped for breakfast in Gainsville, FL at 6AM on Saturday morning. The four gas stations at that exit had no gas. We weren't critical yet and were able to get gas at a town up the road. Normally we don't fill up at just a hair under half a tank but after that we did. We had been seeing what we estimated were hundreds of utility bucket and work trucks, Asplundh tree trucks, EMT and rescue trucks and vans. At our second stop there was a bucket truck getting gas next to us. My husband was talking to the guys and they said there were thousands of those vehicles headed for Florida. Later that day I read online that 18,000 workers from 34 states and Canada had come to Florida.
Glad that Florida was spared a direct hit from Dorian. I'm not surprised how many rooms you were able to book in the 60 discount day window. I also find RCI to be a great value. I have booked Many nice resorts out of the Wyndham system. Wyndham resorts can also be booked RCI for up to 1/2 the points needed if booked through Wyndham.

Last edited:

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Do you rent out the home since you are gone so many weeks?
We have been talking about it for past 5 years at least but have not done so. We stop by there to change out clothes every so often. Also have to put a lot of furniture and stuff in storage when we do it.

Larry M

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ships also have medical facilities on board..

And they charge dearly for those medical facilities. It's essentially a concession; the cruise line finds a third party to run the dispensary/clinic.

mcZabel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVMax Cabo Azul
I've been reading all the mechanics of how you all are able to live in TS's but having lived in TS with my husband for the last 5mos I can tell you I would NEVER do this full time.
We sold our home in April in Peoria, AZ and put all of our belongings in a storage unit.We are having a home built in Prescott, AZ and it will finally be done at the end of Sept.
We took a 22day cruise to Europe, got back to PHX and drove our car to see relatives in upper midwest for a few days then to Avon CO to a TS. Since early May we've been in TS's through DRI in AZ and one week in Vegas(short drive).
My husband and I do not have family that is willing to go anywhere with us, so we are isolated in these places. We don't know anyone in any of these places and it is BORING. There are not enough of the activities at any of these resorts that we enjoy. We don't golf and we can't eat out in restaurants due to dietary restrictions. My husband enjoys building things in a workshop. I would enjoy having a dog again, but the vast majority of Diamond Resorts do not allow pets.
We are in beautiful Sedona but sightseeing in a place that we have been to many many times before doesn't interest us. Over the years, we literally have seen it all.
Most of the people at these resorts are with traveling companions. We do talk to other couples at the resorts but of course they check out and are gone in a few days.
I will be extremely happy to get back into a house and to a neighborhood where we can meet people and have a pet. We had to use all of our 2019 and 2020 points to make this work, so we will be at home in our new home for most of 2020.
This suits me fine, even if I will have to clean my own toilets and wash my own towels and bedding!

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I've been reading all the mechanics of how you all are able to live in TS's but having lived in TS with my husband for the last 5mos I can tell you I would NEVER do this full time.
We sold our home in April in Peoria, AZ and put all of our belongings in a storage unit.We are having a home built in Prescott, AZ and it will finally be done at the end of Sept.
We took a 22day cruise to Europe, got back to PHX and drove our car to see relatives in upper midwest for a few days then to Avon CO to a TS. Since early May we've been in TS's through DRI in AZ and one week in Vegas(short drive).
My husband and I do not have family that is willing to go anywhere with us, so we are isolated in these places. We don't know anyone in any of these places and it is BORING. There are not enough of the activities at any of these resorts that we enjoy. We don't golf and we can't eat out in restaurants due to dietary restrictions. My husband enjoys building things in a workshop. I would enjoy having a dog again, but the vast majority of Diamond Resorts do not allow pets.
We are in beautiful Sedona but sightseeing in a place that we have been to many many times before doesn't interest us. Over the years, we literally have seen it all.
Most of the people at these resorts are with traveling companions. We do talk to other couples at the resorts but of course they check out and are gone in a few days.
I will be extremely happy to get back into a house and to a neighborhood where we can meet people and have a pet. We had to use all of our 2019 and 2020 points to make this work, so we will be at home in our new home for most of 2020.
This suits me fine, even if I will have to clean my own toilets and wash my own towels and bedding!
That is the beauty of timeshares. Buy for what you want to use. For you it would seem a week or two would be a good fit. For my family and I, it is great to be able to use a TS so often. Timeshares have allowed us to visit so many places for weeks at a time economically. We bought many weeks and points in various systems to use in retirement. Since we own them now, mine as well make use of them until our retirement in a few years. We have no interest in staying in one place for more than a month or two at a time.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Why have you limited yourself to Arizona and Las Vegas?

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I missed something, what is advantage of spending full time in timeshares and still maintaining a home?

SJS

TUG Member
Reaction score
What I don't see included is the cost of travel between timeshares, which would include meals/hotels as well as gas or airline tickets.