• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New "Founders Level" program for 1/1/20: what do you think

jerrybev

TUG Member
Reaction score
hi
We and had a sales session this a.m. with Deborah Harvey from the Las Vegas office. We are platinums with 1,359,000 points
She says if we up our points to 1.4 million points which we would need 41,000 points at cost of $10,400, we would be in the new "Founders Level rogram" and get 800,000 bonus points each year. (We could use those points to pay down $1680 on our maint. fees which would take 7.5 years for us to break even on our $10,400 cost ---Assuming she was 100% correct, telling the truth).
What does the forum know and think?
thank you
Jerry Whitfield
Winston salem NC

davejulien

Reaction score
They haven’t announced what “benefits” are going to be for Founders. How can she say you will get 800k bonus points? Sounds like a lie to get you to buy.

Besides the most likely lie it seems you are so close to Founders that you probably should upgrade. I would NOT do it through a resort but rather do it through Corporate Sales. You may get a better deal than $10k. Corporate Sales can most likely get you to exactly the number of points you need without involving any extra in the purchase. They also offer foreclosed points at a discount where the resorts do not. Anyway, I would definitely call them first before even entertaining a resort purchase.

The Corporate Sales number is 800-786-6764. You may need to leave a message and they will call you back. I did this once and had to leave several messages but they eventually did call back. I think I was calling them during a busy time just after the new system went in so maybe that was the issue.

Good luck.

davejulien

Reaction score
BTW, did they happen to mention anything about Legend? Just curious what the internal “talk” is for that even if it’s not true. I’d be falling in the Legend bucket. I don’t plan to buy 400k more points.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
You could probably get 63,000 point package (126,000 Biennial) for $140 per thousand.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
hi
We and had a sales session this a.m. with Deborah Harvey from the Las Vegas office. We are platinums with 1,359,000 points
She says if we up our points to 1.4 million points which we would need 41,000 points at cost of $10,400, we would be in the new "Founders Level rogram" and get 800,000 bonus points each year. (We could use those points to pay down $1680 on our maint. fees which would take 7.5 years for us to break even on our $10,400 cost ---Assuming she was 100% correct, telling the truth).
What does the forum know and think?
thank you
Jerry Whitfield
Winston salem NC
Sounds like more lies and double talk. Wyndham's math very seldom works out the way they tell you it does. Nothing written in stone about the new program. This new program with additional levels is a great marketing strategy to sell you more point even if you don't need them.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
The math is smoke and mirrors, but because you're so close to the proposed Founders level, this is a rare instance where I would say you probably seriously want to look into adding to your points to get there. But as others have said, corporate is probably the most economical way to do that.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
The math is smoke and mirrors, but because you're so close to the proposed Founders level, this is a rare instance where I would say you probably seriously want to look into adding to your points to get there. But as others have said, corporate is probably the most economical way to do that.
Wyndham math very rarely works out for the purchaser of a developer deed.

jerrybev

TUG Member
Reaction score
Deborah Harvey said come Jan 1, all platinums will be in "Legends Program but there are no increased or new benefits.
Jerry

jerrybev

TUG Member
Reaction score
I should have been more clear. We were told Founders level offers one to book all the time, even a year out, at 60% discount. However, to me, that is alarming because that puts increased demand on the same amount of inventory.

By the way, she said that Wyndham has "bought into" AirBnB and wyndham timeshares will offer some VRBO/AirBnB residences in exchange for your points.

Come 1/1/20 all platinums will be in the "Legends program" but with no increased benefits.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Bonus points are a one time deal and you have two years to use them. You definitely don't get those points every year. I can't remember if you have to pay a maintenance fee on them.

Forget having those points pay for themselves with whatever cockamamie scheme they propose. It's total b.s. Renting out stays on your own is the only real way to offset your expenses. Being able to use the points for yourselves and your family is living your best life.

Since you have already spent a lot to be platinum, no criticism from me if you look at what we own, I would go for the 41k points you need to have for what will be the new highest level of ownership. However I would ask for a better price. It never hurts to ask and push a little.

Were they proposing Club Wyndham Access points or deeded points at a resort with lower maintenance fees? Grand Desert maintenance fees are pretty good and buildings 1 and 2 are lower than building 3.

jerrybev

TUG Member
Reaction score
I dont see how Wyndham can "devalue its currency" (time share points) by letting people book them a year out, at 40 cents on the dollar"=60% discount.

Also, That seems to play into the hands of and benefit the mega renters whom Wyndham says they have been trying to stop for a number of years now.

this lady says she is here in myrtle Beach from Corporate Office in Las Vegas for 6 weeks.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
I dont see how Wyndham can "devalue its currency" (time share points) by letting people book them a year out, at 40 cents on the dollar"=60% discount.

Also, That seems to play into the hands of and benefit the mega renters whom Wyndham says they have been trying to stop for a number of years now.

this lady says she is here in myrtle Beach from Corporate Office in Las Vegas for 6 weeks.
Reality is very little value in the time share points system. That's why you see many deeds are given away for free on eBay. Worse yet many exit companies thrive and charge owners 2-5k to exit their ownership. Wyndham pays $0 with their Ovations program.

Last edited:

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
I always believe ... if they lie about the small stuff, you know they are lying about the big stuff.

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's why you see many deeds are given away for free on eBay.
Please educate us with a few examples of FREE Wyndham points contracts on eBay
Or are you off topic as this thread is on Wyndham points??

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score

I like the Idea of a VIP getting a 60% discount 12 months out. As a Non Vip owner that rents from a Vip I would no longer have to wait to receive a 50% discount at the 60 day window. I can Taste the 60% savings now booking at a 12 month window. If this is true I will exit my ownership And rent for 1/2 of a non Vip maintenance fees!

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
I like the Idea of a VIP getting a 60% discount 12 months out. As a Non Vip owner that rents from a Vip I would no longer have to wait to receive a 50% discount at the 60 day window. I can Taste the 60% savings now booking at a 12 month window. If this is true I will exit my ownership And rent for 1/2 of a non Vip maintenance fees!
I’ve never understood why you rent from a VIP while you claim to get free contracts, strip the points & then sell the contracts to Wyndham in less than 4 months.
If your claims are true, your already getting a 66.6% discount at a minimum.
How would Founders discount at 60% beat what you already claim as fact??

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
I'll believe it when I see it. I say no way. The only thing at this point, that I might bite at, is that there's going to be a new level (of 1.4M) that will be desirable to reach. Being as close as OP is, if I could find a good (no great) deal on the points needed, I might go for it. I also am skeptical it's necessary to buy now, rather than wait til the new program is actually rolls out and we really know what it is and what it offers. I personally don't plan on doing anything based on what we've seen or heard thus far. Then again, I'm already over 1.4M. Who knew when they oversold to my 80+ year old father that those extra 400K would come in handy some day. I had asked him to stop at 1M.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll believe it when I see it. I say no way. The only thing at this point, that I might bite at, is that there's going to be a new level (of 1.4M) that will be desirable to reach. Being as close as OP is, if I could find a good (no great) deal on the points needed, I might go for it. I also am skeptical it's necessary to buy now, rather than wait til the new program is actually rolls out and we really know what it is and what it offers. I personally don't plan on doing anything based on what we've seen or heard thus far. Then again, I'm already over 1.4M. Who knew when they oversold to my 80+ year old father that those extra 400K would come in handy some day. I had asked him to stop at 1M.
I don't believe it either. You would be surprised how many buy into the BS, no pun intended. No one should buy before all details are fact and not just BS from a sales person trying to make a days pay with half truths and lies.

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
My parents bought 1.3 million points (now VIP Platinum) in the early '90s when it was Fairfield. I doubt Wyndham sales will allow a purchase of 1K point to move to the next level. I'm betting sales will have a minimum amounts of points one needs to purchase. And that amount will vary by sales weasel. In other, they lie to you to buy as much as they can get you to buy.

I'll consider it if I only need 1K points and I can get them cheap and the benefits are worth it. Otherwise, I'm happy where I'm at.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
My parents bought 1.3 million points (now VIP Platinum) in the early '90s when it was Fairfield. I doubt Wyndham sales will allow a purchase of 1K point to move to the next level. I'm betting sales will have a minimum amounts of points one needs to purchase. And that amount will vary by sales weasel. In other, they lie to you to buy as much as they can get you to buy.

I'll consider it if I only need 1K points and I can get them cheap and the benefits are worth it. Otherwise, I'm happy where I'm at.
If you are already at the top level today you more then likely will be grandfathered in. You would have to be brain dead to buy into the marketing strategy of new levels with more status or privilege if you are at the top already.

Last edited:

davejulien

Reaction score
I'm betting sales will have a minimum amounts of points one needs to purchase. And that amount will vary by sales weasel. In other, they lie to you to buy as much as they can get you to buy.

Call Corporate Sales and ask them. They have a little more latitude then the resorts when it comes to selling points. For instance they allowed me to purchase 1k more points to get to 1,001,000 points which gave me 15 more guest certificates.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Call Corporate Sales and ask them. They have a little more latitude then the resorts when it comes to selling points. For instance they allowed me to purchase 1k more points to get to 1,001,000 points which gave me 15 more guest certificates.
You mind me asking what was the price on the additional 1k and how long ago were they purchased ?