• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Finally Time for Our Molokai Trip

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Well, we are just about there. My wife will go to Madison on Friday for her one way trip to Hawaii. :cheer::banana:

Her last day of work is Wednesday and she will officially be retired on Friday. My son is taking her to a park and fly plus he is taking her out to Fleming’s Steakhouse for dinner.

I will met her at the Honolulu airport and we will head over to Molokai for a week. Hopefully her car will be arriving that week also. It will be nice to check out the new windows and Lanai door that were installed a few months ago.

Went to the Safeway today and stocked up on something’s and came home and watched our online auction close out. I’m very happy the way this worked out. We did very well with the bids and didn’t have to handle all the lots. There were about 550 lots auctioned off. People have u til the 28th to pickup the lots and then the house will begin to be shown by realtors. So hopefully that goes as well as the auction.

I’ll be posting in this thread about our Molokai trip if you want to follow along.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Don’t know how it posted twice. One of these can be deleted.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don’t know how it posted twice. One of these can be deleted.
When I do that, I attribute it to old age palsy. Clearly not your problem. :) Congratulations Jeff on the auction and special congrts to your wife on her retirement and the start of a new life in 'The Islands'. What A story! (I've been sharing it- hope you don't mind)

Jim

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When I do that, I attribute it to old age palsy. Clearly not your problem. :) Congratulations Jeff on the auction and special congrts to your wife on her retirement and the start of a new life in 'The Islands'. What A story! (I've been sharing it- hope you don't mind)

Jim

No, I don’t mind you sharing, Please do.

Thank You for all the well wishes. Hope this week goes fast. It will be 5 weeks and I know my wife has been chomping at the bit to get here.

It will be nice to have a quiet week on Molokai before we head back home to Oahu.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I like that things have worked out so well for you two. So fast, and such big changes! I know once she's settled there, you can really start planning for the next phase of your life.

BTW, how is the apartment working out? How's the commute to work? And how is the new job?

Dave

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Well, we are just about there. My wife will go to Madison on Friday for her one way trip to Hawaii. :cheer::banana:

Her last day of work is Wednesday and she will officially be retired on Friday. My son is taking her to a park and fly plus he is taking her out to Fleming’s Steakhouse for dinner.

I will met her at the Honolulu airport and we will head over to Molokai for a week. Hopefully her car will be arriving that week also. It will be nice to check out the new windows and Lanai door that were installed a few months ago.

Went to the Safeway today and stocked up on something’s and came home and watched our online auction close out. I’m very happy the way this worked out. We did very well with the bids and didn’t have to handle all the lots. There were about 550 lots auctioned off. People have u til the 28th to pickup the lots and then the house will begin to be shown by realtors. So hopefully that goes as well as the auction.

I’ll be posting in this thread about our Molokai trip if you want to follow along.

Wow Jeff you and your wife really did set up this whole transition so that it went really smoothly. You seemed to have the most anxiety on finding a place in Honolulu which for us is done. We dread some of the things that you planned so well and so far have been going so well. By the way what is considered a "lot" in the 550 that were auctioned off? Were they all bid on?

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I like that things have worked out so well for you two. So fast, and such big changes! I know once she's settled there, you can really start planning for the next phase of your life.

BTW, how is the apartment working out? How's the commute to work? And how is the new job?

Dave

Job is going well. We have our first certification audit coming up the first week of October. One reason they wanted me here. Everyone is very nice. We are having the Hawaiian Blessing I
On the 28th to commemorate the Change to Sysco.

The commute to work is nice 20 minutes or slightly less. Coming home it goes to 35 to 40 minutes just because of traffic. I’m only going about 25 or 30 mph when I’m going fast. :) It it’s not bad, I can live with it. I started going to the Safeway on Beretania Street. It’s really close and has everything we need. They have covered parking and the cool cart escalator. :)

7886D06A-47E4-4D4F-8BAC-ADBFFEAD758A.jpeg

I’m used to the apartment already. We have to see how my wife adjusts when she gets here. I think she’ll be fine. Plus she’ll be retired. :)

I took a walk to the Pink Palace today and Waikiki Beach. It was a beautiful day. It’s been about 91 for a high ever since i’ve Been here. Lows are about 78.

36BF2468-2D2B-46DD-A4B7-904133FFC91A.jpeg

6A83F03A-381B-4619-86BE-C1A42B0F57CB.jpeg

5B4F83A2-F8BD-4744-8933-D77855C2440F.jpeg

0A694FF2-9831-4816-B28C-9B2DC31ED040.jpeg

Had lunch at the Lava Tube today and had the Sea Bass sandwich.
5693C83C-764D-48E0-AD37-3C62E36D4CE0.jpeg

58D0719A-1C66-4421-873D-4DEF7D60DD79.jpeg

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wow Jeff you and your wife really did set up this whole transition so that it went really smoothly. You seemed to have the most anxiety on finding a place in Honolulu which for us is done. We dread some of the things that you planned so well and so far have been going so well. By the way what is considered a "lot" in the 550 that were auctioned off? Were they all bid on?

That’s what the auctioneer did, put things together in lots. They varied, one lot was my riding lawn mower and one lot was a box full of kitchen utensils. I was shocked that less than 10 lots finished with no bids.

There were at least a hundred lots that sold, that if I was going through the stuff, would have gone in the dumpster. Many brought pretty good bids too. I would have easily thrown away well over $1,000. Auctions don’t work for everyone but it worked great in our situation and we never would have been able to move on time without it.

Really, the only important thing we need to do is get Hawai’i license plates and drivers licenses. I’m very happy with the way it went. Now that the house will be shown after the 28th, hopefully that will sell quickly.

Last edited:

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
That’s what the auctioneer deed, put things together in lots. They varied, one lot was my riding lawn mower and one lot was a box full of kitchen utensils. I was shocked that less than 10 lots finished with no bids.

There were at least a hundred lots that sold, that if I was going through the stuff, would have gone in the dumpster. Many brought pretty good bids too. I would have easily thrown away well over $1,000. Auctions don’t work for everyone but it worked great in our situation and we never would have been able to move on time without it.

Really, the only important thing we need to do is get Hawai’i license plates and drivers licenses. I’m very happy with the way it went. Now that the house will be shown after the 28th, hopefully that will sell quickly.

Thanks for that info. We have lived in our house for 42 years and have accumulated soooo much stuff that we need to go through even to see what we want to take. I guess from what you are saying we don't need to worry too much about what to throw out. What we feel is garbage may have value.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Jeff, you mentioned going to the Pink Palace. Here’s a bit of trivia for you:

Back in the early 70s, Joni Mitchell had a very popular song called “Big Yellow Taxi.” Part of the lyrics are:

“They paved paradise,
And put up a parking lot,
With a pink hotel, a boutique,
And a swinging hot spot.”

The song was written while she was in Honolulu for a concert. Guess which “pink hotel” she was talking about?

Next time you hear the song, listen to the lyrics and picture it happening where you are. :)

Dave

Last edited:

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That’s what the auctioneer deed, put things together in lots. They varied, one lot was my riding lawn mower and one lot was a box full of kitchen utensils. I was shocked that less than 10 lots finished with no bids.

Your experience with the Auction Company was great. What was the name of the company. Are they all around the country like Long Island, NY?

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Jeff, you mentioned going to the Pink Palace. Here’s a bit of trivia for you:

Back in the early 70s, Joni Mitchell had a very popular song called “Big Yellow Taxi.” Part of the lyrics are:

“They paved paradise,
And put up a parking lot,
With a pink hotel, a boutique,
And a swinging hot spot.”

The song was written while she was in Honolulu for a concert. Guess which “pink hotel” she was talking about?

Next time you hear the song, listen to the lyrics and picture it happening where you are. :)

Dave

My brother was in the Navy and stationed here in the early ‘70’s. He is super jealous that we were able to transfer here and he mentioned the tree at the Pink Palace so I took some pictures for him while I was there.

I don’t hear that song often but now I’m sure i’ll Remember that bid of trivia. I have been listening to 105.1, Kine, Hawaiian music so far since i’ve Been here. Their morning show is pretty funny too.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Your experience with the Auction Company was great. What was the name of the company. Are they all around the country like Long Island, NY?

No, this is just a small local company. She is pretty much a one person show but she does have some help when she needs it. Her company is named Girl With a Gavel.

That should close out this week and then the realtors can start working. Then we should get paid from the auction next week.

Reactions: Xan

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No, this is just a small local company. She is pretty much a one person show but she does have some help when she needs it. Her company is named Girl With a Gavel.

That should close out this week and then the realtors can start working. Then we should get paid from the auction next week.

Thanks. There are companies here that are small and large. You gave us a great idea and we are thinking about using the auction service after we go through our stuff to see what we want to bring.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thanks. There are companies here that are small and large. You gave us a great idea and we are thinking about using the auction service after we go through our stuff to see what we want to bring.

When a friend moved to Hawaii a number of years ago, he estimated it would cost $1 a pound to have something shipped to Oahu. Then he decided whether anything he wanted to take could be replaced in the Islands for $1 a pound. He left a lot of stuff on the Mainland.

The biggest thing I’ve seen happen that makes no sense, are the people who want to take “everything” from their old life to Hawaii. They don’t fully understand how different life is in the Islands. Furniture, clothing, daily life - whatever, is completely different. Housing is different, lifestyle is different. It makes no sense to take everything along.

Jeff and his wife have approached things correctly. Take what matters and that can’t be replaced. Anything else can be obtained once they arrive. :)

Dave

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Does DW get to drop off some of her stuff and check out the new digs before you head to Molokai?

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

You have to take the good and the bad with these but if the service has a good following, it should do well. The biggest part for us was the work and time savings.

Having a place already puts you in the same boat as us except for the time constraint. You know you can’t take everything so set aside what you want to take and they will handle the rest.

You will most likely set aside too much and the have to put a lot back. We literally took two suitcases each.

It may not work for everyone but it certainly worked for us. It saved us a ton of work we didn’t have time for, plus put some money in our pocket.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When a friend moved to Hawaii a number of years ago, he estimated it would cost $1 a pound to have something shipped to Oahu. Then he decided whether anything he wanted to take could be replaced in the Islands for $1 a pound. He left a lot of stuff on the Mainland.

The biggest thing I’ve seen happen that makes no sense, are the people who want to take “everything” from their old life to Hawaii. They don’t fully understand how different life is in the Islands. Furniture, clothing, daily life - whatever, is completely different. Housing is different, lifestyle is different. It makes no sense to take everything along.

Jeff and his wife have approached things correctly. Take what matters and that can’t be replaced. Anything else can be obtained once they arrive. :)

Dave

Definitely a lot of truth to this. There were some sentimental things that were tough to let go but we knew we were going to leave them behind when we retired anyway. I think it made it easier for me that I had to leave so quickly. I didn’t have time to see everything all the time and think about wanting to take it.

It helped my wife to because she had to move out of the house so they were able to stage the lots around for pictures and organization. That way she didn’t see it all everyday either.

Some of this wasn’t planned, it just worked out that way after we made our decisions. Right now the only thing I would have done differently is have my wife come when I did. It was a long five weeks but it all worked out. Ow to sell the house and we’ll be doing great. :thumbup:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Does DW get to drop off some of her stuff and check out the new digs before you head to Molokai?

Nope, I meet her at the Honolulu airport and we’re off to Molokai. Now that we live here, we will stay until Sunday but this one was planned before the move and we already had our flights to return Saturday. It works out good for this trip anyway since we will get home in the afternoon on Saturday and have all evening and all day Sunday for here to check things out.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Nope, I meet her at the Honolulu airport and we’re off to Molokai. Now that we live here, we will stay until Sunday but this one was planned before the move and we already had our flights to return Saturday. It works out good for this trip anyway since we will get home in the afternoon on Saturday and have all evening and all day Sunday for here to check things out.
And she gets to adjust to every week having 6 Saturdays and a Sunday. :banana: You'll have to buy a second set of clothes so you can island hop without having to pack clothes! That would be so awesome!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
And she gets to adjust to every week having 6 Saturdays and a Sunday. :banana: You'll have to buy a second set of clothes so you can island hop without having to pack clothes! That would be so awesome!
And you won't be needing winter and summer clothes. Like "Gee, which shorts and Aloha shirt will I wear today?" It'll be tough. With our 2-hour away second home, we both keep another (limited) wardrobe and second set of toiletries there. Food in both freezers to get started in case we want to pass on a grocery run for a day. Easy livin'

Jim

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

That is the plan. We have an owners closet that we can lock to keep some personal stuff there. I don’t k ow if I’ll leave much this time. We don’t have much left after arriving with only two suitcases. :)

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
And you won't be needing winter and summer clothes. Like "Gee, which shorts and Aloha shirt will I wear today?" It'll be tough. With our 2-hour away second home, we both keep another (limited) wardrobe and second set of toiletries there. Food in both freezers to get started in case we want to pass on a grocery run for a day. Easy livin'

Jim

The no winter stuff is the best part. I do notice a big difference when doing laundry. :)

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You have to take the good and the bad with these but if the service has a good following, it should do well. The biggest part for us was the work and time savings.

Having a place already puts you in the same boat as us except for the time constraint. You know you can’t take everything so set aside what you want to take and they will handle the rest.

You will most likely set aside too much and the have to put a lot back. We literally took two suitcases each.

It may not work for everyone but it certainly worked for us. It saved us a ton of work we didn’t have time for, plus put some money in our pocket.

We have a 3 BR house with a full basement and full garage that have so much stuff in them that we have accumulated over 42 years and we will be moving into a 2 BR Condo so we know we have to slim down a lot and leave loads of stuff behind. That is why I have said that it will take 2 years to move. Of course we will be spending November - May in 2019/2020 and 2020/21 in Honolulu so there are not that many months home in those 2 years. We are renting our Condo now so that we couldn't move immediately anyway. I am shooting to totally move by November 2021. My thoughts are to do the first set aside what we want to take in May-October 2020 and sell privately what we can. Then think about where we would even put all that stuff even if we wanted to pay to ship it. Then spend May-October 2021 getting serious about what we will really bring and lining up the Auction Company and Real Estate Agent.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We have a 3 BR house with a full basement and full garage that have so much stuff in them that we have accumulated over 42 years and we will be moving into a 2 BR Condo so we know we have to slim down a lot and leave loads of stuff behind. That is why I have said that it will take 2 years to move. Of course we will be spending November - May in 2019/2020 and 2020/21 in Honolulu so there are not that many months home in those 2 years. We are renting our Condo now so that we couldn't move immediately anyway. I am shooting to totally move by November 2021. My thoughts are to do the first set aside what we want to take in May-October 2020 and sell privately what we can. Then think about where we would even put all that stuff even if we wanted to pay to ship it. Then spend May-October 2021 getting serious about what we will really bring and lining up the Auction Company and Real Estate Agent.

You have a start to your plan. I wouldn’t recommend filling up your two bedroom. We went down to a one bedroom so we have even less room. Don’t bring a lot.

After you go through it once, call an auctioneer or two and let them come out to assess what you have. Let them do as much work as they are willing to do. Believe me, it’s worth it. Don’t throw anything away until you have an auctioneer go through the stuff.

I did have my son and daughter go through before the auctioneer it they hardly took anything.