• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best Way to Avoid Salespeople

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
As others have said a couple of very firm "No"s will work (and if it does not, just walk away from the desk). Unless you are there on some sort of trial package, you have no obligation to attend any sales presentation/survey/breakfast. You owe them no explanation as to why you won't attend. There is no reason for you to pay a deposit to attend one, nor lose money by paying the deposit and not showing up. There is no reason to let them in to your room for a survey, or to "make sure the room is OK".

I've had 25+ stays and never attended one, nor do I intend to.

Last edited:

louisianab

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV and Vacation Village at Williamsburg.
Be firm. Unplug the phone. Give them no hope. and walk away. Being pretty much rude at Wyndhams will usually get them to leave. I've become more brisk over the years and they give up. Wyndham Glacier Canyon last week were talking about how pleasant I was before I was out of the room (I'm being sarcastic - pleasant wasn't the word they used)

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
As others have said a couple of very firm "No"s will work (and if it does not, just walk away from the desk). Unless you are there on some sort of trial package, you have no obligation to attend any sales presentation/survey/breakfast. You owe them no explanation as to why you won't attend. There is no reason for you to pay a deposit to attend one, nor lose money by paying the deposit and not showing up. There is no reason to let them in to your room for a survey, or to "make sure the room is OK".

I've had 25+ stays and never attended one, nor do I intend to.

A lot of times they will withhold the parking passes until you agree to go or they give up. Luckily, some places don’t need them so you can walk away. Other ones you do. Reunion and Sea watch come to mind. It’s not always as simple as saying no and walking away. Sometimes you have to get darn right rude before they give up and that irks me the most. I hate having to be rude to someone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
A lot of times they will withhold the parking passes until you agree to go or they give up. Luckily, some places don’t need them so you can walk away. Other ones you do. Reunion and Sea watch come to mind. It’s not always as simple as saying no and walking away. Sometimes you have to get darn right rude before they give up and that irks me the most. I hate having to be rude to someone.

I do to, and I'm polite the first couple of times. One of the first times at Glacier Canyon after three nos I turned around and walked back to the check in desk in the lobby to tell them quite loudly that I was having trouble getting my parking pass. That ended the situation quickly.

Be firm. Unplug the phone. Give them no hope. and walk away. Being pretty much rude at Wyndhams will usually get them to leave. I've become more brisk over the years and they give up. Wyndham Glacier Canyon last week were talking about how pleasant I was before I was out of the room (I'm being sarcastic - pleasant wasn't the word they used)

The lead guy at Glacier Canyon knows me when I walk in at this point, and tells whoever is up that I won't do the presentation and to just give me my stuff.

dcdowden

TUG Member
Reaction score
We also own at Westin Kierland Villas and we still do updates there because the salespeople don't lie to us like the Wyndham sales people have done repeatedly. We have not done a Wyndham update in a very long time because of the incessant lies. Usually my wife goes to pick up the parking pass and tells the person that I will divorce her if she agrees to do an update. That, plus repeatedly saying no seems to work.

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I had the strangest experience ever the last time I stayed at Glacier Canyon. They didn’t even ask me to attend at all! Never brought it up. It was very strange! Lol

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
The following worked at a recent times share (Shell) stay. At the parking pass desk “ I am great thank you. Hope you’re doing well too. I just want my parking pass and will not be attending a presentation.” When they called at 9 AM the next morning “ I was sleeping. My room is terrific. I don’t want to attend a presentation. Goodbye.” Didn’t hear anything more.

dstacy969

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Same as DRI and Wastegate. They all play games to generate bodies for their presentations. Predatory vultures. Different tactics- parking passes- breakfast- discounted tickets, gift cards, 'free' points. Whatever it takes to generate warm bodies for the sales staff.

Jim

I think the only exception is Disney Vacation Club

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lisa1001

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have found that ignoring them at a presentation frustrates them beyond belief and they can't wait to get you out of there with gift in hand.

I always attend the presentation if the weather is bad and I have a little time to kill as I figure I might as well earn a dinner. I politely listen shake my head in agreement but stay silent - no small talk , not anything. I exchange a few glances with my very annoyed husband who is angry at me for dragging him there as he shakes his head no.

I found that lack of communication works best

swditz

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
westgate palace wk 52
briarwood cape cod wk 30
surfside cape cod wk 41
falls at Ogunquit wk 21
discovery beach wk 7
captains quarters wk 38
65000 inn season points
Same as DRI and Wastegate. They all play games to generate bodies for their presentations. Predatory vultures. Different tactics- parking passes- breakfast- discounted tickets, gift cards, 'free' points. Whatever it takes to generate warm bodies for the sales staff.

Jim
We stay at Westgate every year and that has not been a problem. At check in there is an option of not getting sales calls. I always check no and have never received a call or knock on the door. They do give us a "welcome package" and try to get us to sign up but I always decline. Not to say they are not unscrupulous in the presentation however!!!

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I'm thinking of a certain scene in Blazing Saddles that might be effective in this situation....

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
MVC, Hyatt, HGVC, and Vistana are the only companies we will do presentations with. We go for discounted promo stays to extend our vacations and nice gifts. Not high pressure. Thanks to TUG we avoid the rest - especially Mexico, Wastegate, Diamond.

Perhaps the strangest parking pass ploy was at Grandview where we had an RCI getaway. The rep said, "Here is your pass, what time do you want to have breakfast?" It took us off guard when he said, "You don't want free breakfast with your room?" because it came across like a free hotel breakfast included in our stay. We finally discerned that it was for a presentation. Politely said "No" and they didn't bother us after that...Wow, to think we could have been roped into a presentation for $3 scrambled eggs.

Last edited:

Armada

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
Old Town Alexandria
La Belle Maison
After telling the sales critters no a couple of times, I ask them how loudly I should say no. I start softly and by the the time I up the volume a two or three times, they give up. I had voice training in my youth and can be >very< loud.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
After telling the sales critters no a couple of times, I ask them how loudly I should say no. I start softly and by the the time I up the volume a two or three times, they give up. I had voice training in my youth and can be >very< loud.

You could also learn how to say "No" in a couple of languages. When you say "No" in Russian or French, and they look at you weird say, "Well, you didn't understand me when I said No in English, so I assumed you do not understand English very well. I thought I might have better luck with German. Should I try French? Maybe Cantonese? Pig Latin?" It might get them a bit annoyed, but when they ignore your several no's, it's called for.

ascully0

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
We frequent Bonnet Creek, Shawnee, Smokey Mountains, and Atlantic City.
By far the worst push we have gotten is from the Smokey Mountains, and they take deposits.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
We frequent Bonnet Creek, Shawnee, Smokey Mountains, and Atlantic City.
By far the worst push we have gotten is from the Smokey Mountains, and they take deposits.
They take deposits only if you give it to them. I refused to give a deposit on many occasions. This never stopped them from still pushing the sales pitch

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Not being rude?? I can't imagine how anyone starting their vacation with the resort staff refusing to give them their required parking pass would want to be polite to such a person. Thankfully (for those staff) I've never stayed at such a resort.

What if the valet said we can't park your car until you agree to attend a presentation? Polite?

What if the desk agent withheld your keys or refused to check you in until you agreed to attend a presentation? Not rude? Wouldn't you come out of your skin and go nuts?

What if a pool attendant kept you from going in until you agreed to a presentation? smiles?

MaryBella7

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think I finally made it on the illustrious Do Not Sell list somehow. Checked into Williamsburg, which has been one of the more pushy places, and they didn't even offer me an update. I am ecstatic!

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Checked into Wyndham Grand Chicago last Friday. Not real pushy but it took 3 times saying no. I told them I didnt want to waste any ones time and I attended 6 of them this year and it always turns into a hard sell.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
I think I finally made it on the illustrious Do Not Sell list somehow. Checked into Williamsburg, which has been one of the more pushy places, and they didn't even offer me an update. I am ecstatic!

I think that I am in the same spot with Marriott. They now very rarely invite me to any update. I never have had much of a problem saying "no" and getting pestered. Perhaps some people just look like they are "ripe fruit ready for the picking" for the sales people. They look at me and think that I'm a prune that is a bit over-ripe. Ha ha.

Last edited:

Kozman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just had the worst sales presentation ever at my ownership at Sunrise Ridge in Pigeon Forge. Diamond bought in to the resort by taking over the foreclosed units and promptly voted 2 of their employees on the board. I had a fixed week that transforms into Amber points if you do not book at the 6 month period. With Amber points you can book on a available basis at several resorts. So I was there with my Amber reservation. MDW answered the phone and it was the sales weasels. All the while I was shaking my head NO she was told that there was a new procedure in making our reservations and that we would be getting a new membership number. She agreed to a 90 minute update for $75. Bottom line the update was almost 3 hours and we had to suffer 6 different obnoxious people before leaving with a Mastercard that expired at the end of the month!!!! Never ever go to a Diamond update...nothing but lies. Not once did they discuss the proposed reason for us to attend.