• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Should I cancel my HIVC Membership?

Heaven08

Reaction score
Glad I found this forum. On Saturday we sat through a presentation from HIVC. We said no to the first 3 offers, and finally said yes to the last one because they told us they were throwing in unlimited RCI weeks. During the signing process, we found out that unlimited reservations at RCI properties came with all the packages. I feel super deceived.

We bought 50,000 points for $13k. I can't wrap my mind around the reservation process and the ability to use RCI. The book says from 1 day to 13 months prior to a reservation we can use our Home Access, 10 months to 13 months we can reserve at our home resort outside of our Home Week, and from 1 day to 10 months out we can reserve at any resort. But they keep insisting that we don't have a set week or a set resort and we should ignore that part of the book.

They told us that we can reserve at any resort in the RCI network up to 13 months in advance and the cost starts at $388 per week. I'm just worried that when we actually have access to look at the RCI locations and costs, it's going to cost just as much to reserve through RCI as it would if we weren't owners/members reserving on our own. Then we'll be stuck with a useless timeshare that we can't get rid of.

Please Help! We only have 7 days to cancel, and we're on day 3 now.

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
Rescind
First off 50,000 points won’t do you any good
Second. You can find aftermarket TS for free or if it’s a points only resort then you’ll find them cheap

Rescind and do more research
TS can be great but you need a better deal
And I think the RCI info they have was wrong??
Might be our personal level membership with HICV but we booked 2 weeks in Hawaii about 17-18 months in advance over thanksgiving through RCI

BTW
We were there also on Saturday so probably passed you??
We already own so we were there for an update
Numbers didn’t work so we took the $150 and called it a day

tony_i

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, WM, Elara
Glad I found this forum. On Saturday we sat through a presentation from HIVC. We said no to the first 3 offers, and finally said yes to the last one because they told us they were throwing in unlimited RCI weeks. During the signing process, we found out that unlimited reservations at RCI properties came with all the packages. I feel super deceived.

We bought 50,000 points for $13k. I can't wrap my mind around the reservation process and the ability to use RCI. The book says from 1 day to 13 months prior to a reservation we can use our Home Access, 10 months to 13 months we can reserve at our home resort outside of our Home Week, and from 1 day to 10 months out we can reserve at any resort. But they keep insisting that we don't have a set week or a set resort and we should ignore that part of the book.

They told us that we can reserve at any resort in the RCI network up to 13 months in advance and the cost starts at $388 per week. I'm just worried that when we actually have access to look at the RCI locations and costs, it's going to cost just as much to reserve through RCI as it would if we weren't owners/members reserving on our own. Then we'll be stuck with a useless timeshare that we can't get rid of.

Yes, absolutely rescind. 50k is not a lot and going resale is the best option. But do research if you like HICV, only 3 properties transfer as points on resale.

In regards to not having a set week, that is because you probably purchased from the land trust points, and not an actual unit at a given resort. So you would have access to all units inside the land trust.

There is a sticky with instructions on how to rescind, and follow the contract instructions.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1

Rescind. You can get for free what you paid $13k for.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

You were deceived.

Heaven08

Reaction score
Rescind. You can get for free what you paid $13k for.
How can we get this for free? The only reason we went ahead & signed was because of the possibility of booking discounted trips through RCI. We know the 50,000 points will barely cover a weeks vacation during the less desirable times of year, but we liked the idea of rolling those points into IHG Rewards and using them for regular hotel stays. I really appreciate everyone's help, sounds like we definitely got tricked.

Heaven08

Reaction score
Rescind
First off 50,000 points won’t do you any good
Second. You can find aftermarket TS for free or if it’s a points only resort then you’ll find them cheap

Rescind and do more research
TS can be great but you need a better deal
And I think the RCI info they have was wrong??
Might be our personal level membership with HICV but we booked 2 weeks in Hawaii about 17-18 months in advance over thanksgiving through RCI

BTW
We were there also on Saturday so probably passed you??
We already own so we were there for an update
Numbers didn’t work so we took the $150 and called it a day

You were at the Williamsburg location? Maryanne and Karlyle are crooks, I hope I never see them again. How is it possible to find an aftermarket TS for free? We want to start traveling more and creating memories for the little one and the discounted trips through RCI sounded like a great option for us to do that.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
How can we get this for free? The only reason we went ahead & signed was because of the possibility of booking discounted trips through RCI. We know the 50,000 points will barely cover a weeks vacation during the less desirable times of year, but we liked the idea of rolling those points into IHG Rewards and using them for regular hotel stays. I really appreciate everyone's help, sounds like we definitely got tricked.
Discount trips through RCI is available to anyone paying $99. You don’t need a Ts.

Heaven08

Reaction score
Discount trips through RCI is available to anyone paying $99. You don’t need a Ts.
How can I sign up with them? I'm looking on their website and all I see is info saying you need to own a TS first. I will drop HICV in a heartbeat especially if I can get the benefit of the RCI discounts without those crooks.

tony_i

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, WM, Elara

HICV is a great vacation club, and all the features the club offers sell the product. However, the pricing and value offered by going directly with a developer purchase is not there. People do give units for free. And now that they came up with trust points, anything free or purchased as trust points in resale are very restrictive.

If you want RCI only, there are free and close to free units (to aquire) that work best with RCI. If you like what HICV offers, then the best option is to buy resale at one of the 3 resorts that transfer as points. In these, you get all the benefits of the club with the exception of qualifying for their tiered membership.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
9E19EC80-5585-4F0E-A619-8C42F86C03DC.png 9D04C8DF-8BA3-4DD9-9117-31DDA4A6BDCE.png BC2371D0-8E3F-4421-994C-93F9BF4FD1C6.png B2CF5DE2-FD09-42F4-B17E-4050890A3840.png 8C0C9E0D-E88D-4427-96A0-72AEF0C9F1D8.png 7F2757F4-1B80-4B99-B8F1-9036C9980576.png 577E6270-F2AA-4DA3-8225-04E437256373.png 7C0E7ABC-B8F7-4A72-9770-15AF13009C1B.png 3F0CB67F-7F84-41D1-9B7B-ECE771A52E11.png FCE7523C-6CA3-4740-A745-653D53437AA2.png 9E19EC80-5585-4F0E-A619-8C42F86C03DC.png 9D04C8DF-8BA3-4DD9-9117-31DDA4A6BDCE.png Maybe @tony_i can tell you which three HIVc resorts transfer into points. Attached are deeded weeks in which people are paying you $250 to take over their HIVC TS.

jackio

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
50,000 HICV points will give you 40,000 IHG points. That will get you one night in a mid-range hotel. Not worth your yearly maintenance fee. Plus they charge to convert the points.
I agree. Rescind.

tony_i

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, WM, Elara

Sure, the 3 resorts are Myrtle Beach (south beach), Smokey Mountains (Gatlinburg TN), and Lake Geneva.

Lake Geneva is UDI, so maintenance fee per point is the same for any contract. For the other two, you may want to buy platinum or diamond season to get a good MFs per point.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
50,000 HICV points will give you 40,000 IHG points. That will get you one night in a mid-range hotel. Not worth your yearly maintenance fee. Plus they charge to convert the points.
I agree. Rescind.
And to pour salt in the wound, those cheap weeks from RCI, called Last Calls, are not the deluxe resorts you might be thinking. They are mostly 2nd and 3rd tier quality in off season. Think ski resorts in mud season or beach resorts in winter. Or problem units with a view of the parking lot of dumpsters. Some large, nice resorts in overbuilt areas (Las Vegas, Orlando, Williamsburg) will release units to RCI to generate bodies for the sales staff to work on. We have used Last Calls, but with our expectations clearly in check.

Add my voice to the chorus singing, "Rescind!"

Jim

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
You were at the Williamsburg location? Maryanne and Karlyle are crooks, I hope I never see them again. How is it possible to find an aftermarket TS for free? We want to start traveling more and creating memories for the little one and the discounted trips through RCI sounded like a great option for us to do that.

My mistake
I assumed you were at Orange Lake Florida

Before asking more questions. Take 10 minutes and get the rescission papers in the mail

As far at 50k in HICV being used for hotels. That again won’t get you anything
There’s a 20% reduction in valu so if you have 50k in HICV that becomes 40k in Hotel valu
Hotels are not always a smart way to use points. You need to do the math on what it will cost in maintenance fees and other fees such as the reduced valu. And trading it into IHG

We use some in IHG but we have a ton of points to work with (1,000,000 ) every year but if it would cost me say $150 per night using points. But $99 paying cash. We then pay cash

Again
Rescind. Do some digging and you’ll learn how to make the best decision based on your wants and needs

Ry@n

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None
I've been reading this thread and i do apologize to the thread starter as i do have a question. I've been offered to take over a timeshare for 5,000 USD including transfer and lawyer fees with HIVC. It's a week 34 on orange lake east village 2 bedroom and it is equal to 133,000 points if you are not going to go for the deeded week. I've read before that during transfers, the point system does not transfer over. Is it still the same policy happening right now. Really new to this timeshare and want my purchase to be good over the years. Thanks in advance for your inputs.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I've been reading this thread and i do apologize to the thread starter as i do have a question. I've been offered to take over a timeshare for 5,000 USD including transfer and lawyer fees with HIVC. It's a week 34 on orange lake east village 2 bedroom and it is equal to 133,000 points if you are not going to go for the deeded week. I've read before that during transfers, the point system does not transfer over. Is it still the same policy happening right now. Really new to this timeshare and want my purchase to be good over the years. Thanks in advance for your inputs.

Points do not transfer. If you want the deeded week, you might be able to get for $500 including all transfer and closing costs at Sumday. http://sumdayvacations.com/timeshare-transfer/search.php?pg=1&stext=holiday+inn&sprice=&stype=&scat=

tony_i

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, WM, Elara
Yes, points do not transfer on resale unless they are Land Trust Points (very restrictive too), but if you say it is deeded as week 34, then I will not transfer as points. I can tell you that this week is not worth the $5000 price. These weeks sell for way under $500 and can be found for free a lot of the time. Do a quick search on eBay for Orange Lake under real estate category and you will see.

The only value this week has is if you want to vacation every year at week 34 in Orange Lake east village, and maybe exchange it with RCI, but not at $5000.

I like HICV system and you can read more about the program here in Tug, and we are here to answer any questions, but I will stay away from this purchase.

Good luck!

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC

I Agree with the above posts
Not worth it
I bought Christmas week 3br which also gives me an extra week (53) every few years for around $1500

We own at HICV and we use it usually 5-8 weeks per year. For us it works but you may find by doing a little more research that you might like a different club all together

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Another thing if you just exchange thru RCI for HIVC they have a 1-3 rule.