• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Would you retro NOW?

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
We only own resale Vistana weeks, both voluntary and mandatory. Despite the repeated threats made by the sales people in the past year, the minimum to retro a contract has come down to about $10,000. We have the option to do that and be 3 star elite or for about double retro more, give back some, you know the drill... and be 4 star elite.

One one hand IF the overlay never comes or IF it is disappointing for the voluntary resale owners and especially for the voluntary AND mandatory resale owners, maybe it is not a bad thing to do it now. I am thinking Marriott may realign the sales strategies once there is more clarity with the new programs. On the other hand my strong feeling is that there is going to be enrollment offered so I would just waste $$ and feel completely stupid after that.

I think I will do nothing but it itches me a little bit to be honest. What would you do?

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
Go in with the end in mind. Do you have a specific plan in mind that you would eventually accomplish and actually use? If so, it might be worth it. Don't just retro to retro. Currently, the most valuable benefit of 3 star elite is the extended SO banking deadline and 4 star elite is the waitlist, but as we have seen the waitlist isn’t perfect and hasn’t always worked. I wouldn’t do it for elite status. If you currently have no plan, I would wait.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe try and see if they will guarantee free enrollment in any MVC offer within the next 5 years or something? Obviously would need to be I writing...

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
No!

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
The only thing certain about a retro at this point is the expense.

Vistana status is of questionable value at best (is it really worth $10,000 for the privilege of banking SO's two months later than you could otherwise?) and even that is likely to change. The future is enrolling in the Marriott DC -- something that is unlikely to be free.

Save your money for something with value.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Absolutely not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
No.

You are better off buying mandatory if you want to make a gamble now (before changes are made). While I do believe Marriott can change the VSE program at any time, others have commented that since mandatory is defined within the CCRs, it is unlikely.

I personally do not believe the programs will combine. Overlay, maybe, but it will be at a cost -- and there is a chance it will only apply to mandatory properties.

Anyway, for the cost, retro (to me) is not worth it.

-ryan

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
At one of the owners updates they suggested that only the elite owners would be allowed to exchange the Options into DC points. I know that was pure speculation, this was last fall and they knew even less at that time than they know now so I do not put too much weight on that. Still, it stuck in my mind as one of the unlikely but still possible scenarios.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
it seems that everybody confirms that it is not a good use of our money. Known cost, unknown benefits

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
At one of the owners updates they suggested that only the elite owners would be allowed to exchange the Options into DC points. I know that was pure speculation, this was last fall and they knew even less at that time than they know now so I do not put too much weight on that. Still, it stuck in my mind as one of the unlikely but still possible scenarios.

That sounds like a sales ploy to get a sale. I’m still a believer that MVC will allow enrollment similar to what they allowed for MVC weeks owners. Their goal will be to get as many Vistana weeks enrolled so the enrolled owners can access and try an overlay program and then ultimately try to sell DC points to them.

So, I wouldn’t spend the money currently. Wait and see how things develop.

Best regards.

Mike

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
The only thing certain about a retro at this point is the expense.
VERY TRUE

The future is enrolling in the Marriott DC -- something that is unlikely to be free.
NO ONE KNOWS THAT FOR CERTAIN.

Save your money for something with value.
VALUE IS RELATIVE.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
it seems that everybody confirms that it is not a good use of our money. Known cost, unknown benefits
I’d only retro a resale week if you had a week that was worth an extremely high amount of star options, and if you use star options to stay in Vistana. Don’t hold off or purchase because of “what ifs”. If you’re only reason for a retro purchase is to beat the deadline of a new program, it’s not worth it, because you just don’t know. Only buy and retro if you want the usage of those star options. Everyone will have their own opinions on the matter, but in the end it’s your money and your timeshare usage. Don’t worry about elite status, that’s not worth tens of thousands of dollars or hundreds of thousands of dollars

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Sorry for the newbie question, but what does “DC” stand for?

Marriott's Destination Club (which is sometimes referred to as Marriott Vacation Club = MVC).

duke

TUG Member
Reaction score
Five Star Elite is all that matters.
If the benefits work for you then calculate it out.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Thanks. So DC=MVC?

DC is a type of ownership program, vacation ownership interest within MVC, using points to book. You can also own the older typical type of vacation ownership interest, a unit type within a deeded week at a specific resort. Also referred to as “weeks ownership”

From what I’ve learned here is Weeks can be enrolled into the DC program. Essentially your week ownership is enrolled and assigned a point value in the DC program. You can either use your week ownership or utilize the point valuation within the DC program and book at other resorts. It seems that MVC did things backwards imo and now the enrolled week ownership into the DC program is similar to the Vistana and HGVC network way of ownership usage. Ideally it all depends on what you own and where you want to go

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
No. I honestly don't understand the value of Elite. I thought that Elite would get priority view but I learned that reservation timestamp trumps elite. I thought Elite would get faster check-in through dedicated check-in. We were pulled to elite desk to mitigate line. We don't bank our SO's so banking deadline doesn't matter.

Plus too many unknowns about MVC.

Save your money for an MVC overlay and even then you might want to save your money!

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
No. I honestly don't understand the value of Elite. I thought that Elite would get priority view but I learned that reservation timestamp trumps elite. I thought Elite would get faster check-in through dedicated check-in. We were pulled to elite desk to mitigate line. We don't bank our SO's so banking deadline doesn't matter.

Plus too many unknowns about MVC.

Save your money for an MVC overlay and even then you might want to save your money!

I'm 5-Star Elite (discovered TUG too late!). The biggest benefit that I use most is the early check-in of 2:00 pm and the late check-out of 12:00 noon. In the last three years I've only once been denied use of the late check-out of noon and then they allowed 11:00 a.m. That was our most recent stay at Westin Riverfront. Since they only have 34 1-bedroom premium villas, the number of units doesn't give them much flexibility since they tend to be full most of the year with exception of the true shoulder months of April/May and October/November.

duke

TUG Member
Reaction score
The benefit of 5 Star Elite is with the hotels (which now there are alot more).

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
I'm finding this to be an interesting thread as I'm currently considering doing a retro for our SDO EOY true platinum (worth 148,100 EOY). At our last presentation in March they offered to take our SVR fixed/floating week 51 (developer purchase worth 81,000) +$11k and give us 81,000 Sheraton Flex options. Obviously this was going nowhere as I couldn't justify paying $400 more in MF for something that I already own and is superior to Sheraton Flex.

It did get me to thinking that the Westin Flex EOY purchase might be a good fit with our portfolio to pair with our WKORV-N EOY OF week as we could then add a day or two to our Hawaii vacation and possible take advantage of better flights etc.

Has anyone run across the pricing for Westin Flex EOY? Last quoted price for Westin Flex annual I saw was $0.37/option - but this was awhile ago and I imagine there is a small premium for EOY. I'm thinking if I could pick up a 30k contract for $11k that would give us more options as well as retro in our existing unit.

I'm wondering for the $10k minimum that is now being quoted here. Is that just the new cash portion that has to come in (i.e., the minimum is $20k but only $10k is cash - the other can be trade-in) or is it just a straight $10k purchase with no $20k min?

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
The benefit of 5 Star Elite is with the hotels (which now there are alot more).

I assume you are saying that Bonvoy Platinum, which is awarded to Vistana 5-Star Elite, is worth a lot more. Perhaps, but since the loyalty program merger in August 2018, the Platinum benefits have been greatly devalued and the hotels now seem to have immunity when they refuse to follow the T&C of the Bonvoy program. Unlike Starwood under the SPG program, when a complaint is lodged with Marriott the usual answer is "it is subject to hotel participation".

Markus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WLR, WKV, WDW
We only own resale Vistana weeks, both voluntary and mandatory. Despite the repeated threats made by the sales people in the past year, the minimum to retro a contract has come down to about $10,000. We have the option to do that and be 3 star elite or for about double retro more, give back some, you know the drill... and be 4 star elite.

One one hand IF the overlay never comes or IF it is disappointing for the voluntary resale owners and especially for the voluntary AND mandatory resale owners, maybe it is not a bad thing to do it now. I am thinking Marriott may realign the sales strategies once there is more clarity with the new programs. On the other hand my strong feeling is that there is going to be enrollment offered so I would just waste $$ and feel completely stupid after that.

I think I will do nothing but it itches me a little bit to be honest. What would you do?
If your voluntary week is a platinum week, I would consider it. Think of the StarOptions that you would be able to use elsewhere. Also the ability to convert to Bonvoy points. I know others have said not a good deal, but I disagree, if you own a low MF week, and use the points in Europe, there is value. I just think that the flexibility you will have will be worthwhile.

I had an update last week at Riverfront and they were saying that its too complicated to combine the programs, mostly because of the fact that deeds are involved. I think that Marriott may only decide to optimize the sales channels and processes and not try to combine. Essentially if they are making money from a subsidiary, that may be fine, and good enough.

Markus

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
If your voluntary week is a platinum week, I would consider it. Think of the StarOptions that you would be able to use elsewhere. Also the ability to convert to Bonvoy points. I know others have said not a good deal, but I disagree, if you own a low MF week, and use the points in Europe, there is value. I just think that the flexibility you will have will be worthwhile.

I had an update last week at Riverfront and they were saying that its too complicated to combine the programs, mostly because of the fact that deeds are involved. I think that Marriott may only decide to optimize the sales channels and processes and not try to combine. Essentially if they are making money from a subsidiary, that may be fine, and good enough.

Markus
all my weeks are platinum