• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Have to attend additional presentation as Wyndham Discovery member

kleigh75

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I purchased a discovery VIP membership last year for Wyndham (400k points, 2 years) to use at Clearwater beach location. Checked in yesterday (first year using points) and was told we have to attend a sales presentation during this trip (60 mins, but you know how that goes). When I asked why they said it was because there was equity in the contract and we would lose the equity if we didnt attend . I didnt realize I looked so dumb, but with 2 kids running around the lobby I begrudgingly stopped arguing. I am not purchasing from them, and am annoyed that I should have to attend the presentation. On top of that I have to bring my husband even though I'm the only one on the discovery contract (due to Florida law, according to the rep). Anyone have any insights - can I attend alone? Can I get out of it? They took a $40 deposit in case we dont show and will be compensating us $150 amex gift card. Any advice appreciated!

bestpal38

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Club Access
Hi everyone,
I purchased a discovery VIP membership last year for Wyndham (400k points, 2 years) to use at Clearwater beach location. Checked in yesterday (first year using points) and was told we have to attend a sales presentation during this trip (60 mins, but you know how that goes). When I asked why they said it was because there was equity in the contract and we would lose the equity if we didnt attend . I didnt realize I looked so dumb, but with 2 kids running around the lobby I begrudgingly stopped arguing. I am not purchasing from them, and am annoyed that I should have to attend the presentation. On top of that I have to bring my husband even though I'm the only one on the discovery contract (due to Florida law, according to the rep). Anyone have any insights - can I attend alone? Can I get out of it? They took a $40 deposit in case we dont show and will be compensating us $150 amex gift card. Any advice appreciated!
Go to the presentation. Say NO, be firm. Set an alarm on your phone for 60 minutes, and when the alarm goes off, politely excuse yourself, and ask where to go get your gift. You are only obligated for 60 minutes, not one minute more.

HDiaz1

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Panama City Beach, Wyndham Bali Hai Villas, Marriott Grand Chateau, Worldmark the Club.
Hi everyone,

I believe you are required to attend a presentation on your first trip as a discovery VIP member.

as bestpal38 suggested, keep track of time and be ready to leave after 60 minutes. Make sure to make it very clear you are not going to buy and have no plans to do so. Let the sales person his time is up after 60 minutes. Clearwater is on my list! I hope you have a great vacation!

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe you are required to attend a presentation on your first trip as a discovery VIP member.

as bestpal38 suggested, keep track of time and be ready to leave after 60 minutes. Make sure to make it very clear you are not going to buy and have no plans to do so. Let the sales person his time is up after 60 minutes. Clearwater is on my list! I hope you have a great vacation!
Prepare yourself to be insulted if you don't understand their pitch ( most of them lies) of buying developer points. They can make you believe the deal being offered is a chance of a life time. Best course of action is to not ask any questions and just nod yes or no to the qustions.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
When I asked why they said it was because there was equity in the contract and we would lose the equity if we didnt attend
If you're not planning on buying more from Wyndham, this "equity" doesn't matter.

On top of that I have to bring my husband even though I'm the only one on the discovery contract (due to Florida law, according to the rep). Anyone have any insights - can I attend alone? Can I get out of it? They took a $40 deposit in case we dont show and will be compensating us $150 amex gift card. Any advice appreciated!
I would cancel and request my $40 back... unless you feel like being harassed for $150.

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Give them exactly 60 minutes. Make it very clear you will not buy anything, when time is up collect your money. $150 per hour is a pretty good deal if you ask me!

WingRider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham CWA & Panama City Beach
I think the Discovery contract requires you to attend one presentation during your ownership. Might as well bite the bullet and get it over-with on this trip. As the other posters have said, just say NO, set a timer, and ask for your gift precisely at 60 minutes. You might be able to squeeze them for an additional $50 in gift cards prior to agreeing to attend. We attended a presentation in May at Emerald Grande. They gave us $200 in Amex cards.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
You’re discovery contract should have explicitly stated that you were required to attend one. If it doesn’t, they are lying to you. You would have to read your contract to know for sure. This is one reason why it’s very important to read your contract.

Most likely they will tell you that the smallest package they are allowed to sell is NOT the smallest they are allowed to sell, at least not as far as corporate is concerned. Their sales manager may have placed certain restrictions. Still, they always try for a higher number then the minimum. To get the same benefits that you are getting now, you would have to pay anywhere from $50k to $100k depending on what they convince you is a killer deal. 400,000 is the current Silver VIP. It’s supposed to go up next year. On top of that, you have maintenance fees (which increase every year) and a limited number of reservation transaction credits. Just know, telesales is always cheaper then resorts. Plus, there are ways to get VIP cheaper. The question is, could you actually use VIP or the other “perks” of buying retain. If not, resale will serve you. I’m in the process of giving away a 308,000 point Branson contract. The new owner had to pay $225 in closing cost and $299 transfer fee. There are plenty of other places to get the same amount of points for less then $2,000 or less, depending on what you buy. There is zero reason to buy at Clearwater. They cannot offer you anything that Telesales cannot. Telesales gives bonus points. They also offer cash rebates which resorts do not. All at a price cheaper then resorts. I spoke with an owner who got a quote for 105,000 from telesales. They quoted her $16,275 not including cash rebate. I forget how much of a cash rebate it was, but they are also giving her bonus points. The resorts are not going to beat that.

Set the alarm on your phone to the most annoying sound possible and turn the volume way up. Do not let them hold you no matter what “deal” they offer. You still need to learn more about the system before you decide to commit. It’s to expensive of a product, to not take your time to research. How much time did you spend researching the last car you bought? For the price of the timeshare, you can get a decent car that you would use every day. Take the time to decide if timesharing is right for you before committing. I have been an owner for over 11 years. I do not regret buying retail or spending the money to be gold VIP. However, I use a lot of the benefits and travel 3-4 times a year. I also didn’t spend six figures to be gold (not would I ever). Your situation may be different. It’s for you to decide what’s right for you. Don’t let the sales person try to tell you what’s right for you, no matter how much sense they seem to be making. They are masters at convincing you that a $20,000 impulse buy is a good idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
You’re discovery contract should have explicitly stated that you were required to attend one. If it doesn’t, they are lying to you. You would have to read your contract to know for sure. This is one reason why it’s very important to read your contract.

Most likely they will tell you that the smallest package they are allowed to sell is NOT the smallest they are allowed to sell, at least not as far as corporate is concerned. Their sales manager may have placed certain restrictions. Still, they always try for a higher number then the minimum. To get the same benefits that you are getting now, you would have to pay anywhere from $50k to $100k depending on what they convince you is a killer deal. 400,000 is the current Silver VIP. It’s supposed to go up next year. On top of that, you have maintenance fees (which increase every year) and a limited number of reservation transaction credits. Just know, telesales is always cheaper then resorts. Plus, there are ways to get VIP cheaper. The question is, could you actually use VIP or the other “perks” of buying retain. If not, resale will serve you. I’m in the process of giving away a 308,000 point Branson contract. The new owner had to pay $225 in closing cost and $299 transfer fee. There are plenty of other places to get the same amount of points for less then $2,000 or less, depending on what you buy. There is zero reason to buy at Clearwater. They cannot offer you anything that Telesales cannot. Telesales gives bonus points. They also offer cash rebates which resorts do not. All at a price cheaper then resorts. I spoke with an owner who got a quote for 105,000 from telesales. They quoted her $16,275 not including cash rebate. I forget how much of a cash rebate it was, but they are also giving her bonus points. The resorts are not going to beat that.

Set the alarm on your phone to the most annoying sound possible and turn the volume way up. Do not let them hold you no matter what “deal” they offer. You still need to learn more about the system before you decide to commit. It’s to expensive of a product, to not take your time to research. How much time did you spend researching the last car you bought? For the price of the timeshare, you can get a decent car that you would use every day. Take the time to decide if timesharing is right for you before committing. I have been an owner for over 11 years. I do not regret buying retail or spending the money to be gold VIP. However, I use a lot of the benefits and travel 3-4 times a year. I also didn’t spend six figures to be gold (not would I ever). Your situation may be different. It’s for you to decide what’s right for you. Don’t let the sales person try to tell you what’s right for you, no matter how much sense they seem to be making. They are masters at convincing you that a $20,000 impulse buy is a good idea.

I should have mentioned, they might sell you a smaller package and give you bonus points to make you temporary VIP for the next two years. To get Permanent VIP silver, it will cost you $50k - $100k

kleigh75

Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's replies! Not going to buy and l appreciate the resources here about renting points and resale.
Wyndham Clearwater is beautiful and has great beach access. Close to everything. I highly recommend it!

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's replies! Not going to buy and l appreciate the resources here about renting points and resale.
Wyndham Clearwater is beautiful and has great beach access. Close to everything. I highly recommend it!
Great resort. Stayed in a 1 bedroom Presidential suite 2 years ago. Yes I did rent from a VIP and without them I would of not been able to book this resort.