• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hacienda Del Mar, Puerto Rico

Cropman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with Hyatt. I had a reservation for here in April. I say had because I was just informed the resort is closed until July 1, 2018. (I know it's bad there, didn't realize the resort was in that bad of shape.) It would have been nice to have been notified of this. However, in their generosity, they have given me until December 31 to rebook a vacation with my points through Hyatt. Can't be used for Interval. 23 days to decide where we want to go, if they have availability. No wait list. Must be booked. At least no fees.

I know I'm whining about a vacation while the island is devastated. It's not that. We were actually going to stay at the resort and see if we could volunteer to help for a week. It just seems like Hyatt could be a little more accommodating/flexible in us using our points.

Maybe if I switched to the new Portfolio Program all of our problems would be solved!!

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with Hyatt. I had a reservation for here in April. I say had because I was just informed the resort is closed until July 1, 2018. (I know it's bad there, didn't realize the resort was in that bad of shape.) It would have been nice to have been notified of this. However, in their generosity, they have given me until December 31 to rebook a vacation with my points through Hyatt. Can't be used for Interval. 23 days to decide where we want to go, if they have availability. No wait list. Must be booked. At least no fees.
I know I'm whining about a vacation while the island is devastated. It's not that. We were actually going to stay at the resort and see if we could volunteer to help for a week. It just seems like Hyatt could be a little more accommodating/flexible in us using our points.

Maybe if I switched to the new Portfolio Program all of our problems would be solved!!
Here's what Hyatt is telling the owners:

"Repairs and recovery continue at Hyatt Residence Club Dorado, Hacienda del Mar, in the wake of Hurricane Maria’s September landfall in Puerto Rico.

The resort is still without permanent electricity, although an additional, larger generator is scheduled to arrive in coming weeks. The reconstruction schedule hasn't been finalized, but work is expected to begin immediately after the dryout process finishes in January 2018. We'll keep sending you updates as progress continues.

The resort will remain closed through July 2018. Owners and guests with reservations through July should call Member Services at +1.800.GO.HYATT or email info@hyattresidenceclub.com to reschedule. Cancellation and rescheduling fees associated with these changes will be waived.

While you will not have access to the resort until late summer or fall 2018, we are pleased to offer members in good standing the opportunity to exchange your week – or weeks – with other Hyatt Residence Club resorts."

Caligirlfrtx

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, SHERATON BROADWAY PLANTATION, GRAND PACIFIC PALISADES, SHERATON DESERT OASIS, HYATT COCONUT PLANTATION, RIVERVIEW RESORT
I understand that they are redoing the entire resort and all resorts in the area however my question is... Is it even worth it to buy into Hyatt Hacienda at all? I have heard so many negative remarks about PR. I have a seller on ebay trying to swindle me on this location. After doing my research, I found out that the lower mf's are only for 2018. She neglected to list that in her description. Any opinions on Hyatt PR?

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I understand that they are redoing the entire resort and all resorts in the area however my question is... Is it even worth it to buy into Hyatt Hacienda at all? I have heard so many negative remarks about PR. I have a seller on ebay trying to swindle me on this location. After doing my research, I found out that the lower mf's are only for 2018. She neglected to list that in her description. Any opinions on Hyatt PR?

Our visit was pre-hurricane destruction. My wife and son loved the property. My perception was the property was kind of run down but the service by the staff was very good. What was the Hyatt hotel next door has been sitting vacant for years, so it gives the whole place a creepy feel. The plus side is you have a private beach with few people (unless it's spring break and a college group has decided that Hyatt IS the place to be, haha).

I saw the one on eBay. The two big turn offs for me for this listing were the seller and the points. Re the seller, I have communicated with her in the past, and it was a big turn off. She dodged questions asked and what she did answer had a tone to it like I was wasting her time. The points, 1300 is low and they have high maintenance fees at that property.

If I were in your shoes, I'd figure out a way out of it. Buy a different location, and then trade in. I seem to remember there was a lot of availability for that property.

Caligirlfrtx

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, SHERATON BROADWAY PLANTATION, GRAND PACIFIC PALISADES, SHERATON DESERT OASIS, HYATT COCONUT PLANTATION, RIVERVIEW RESORT
Our visit was pre-hurricane destruction. My wife and son loved the property. My perception was the property was kind of run down but the service by the staff was very good. What was the Hyatt hotel next door has been sitting vacant for years, so it gives the whole place a creepy feel. The plus side is you have a private beach with few people (unless it's spring break and a college group has decided that Hyatt IS the place to be, haha).

I saw the one on eBay. The two big turn offs for me for this listing were the seller and the points. Re the seller, I have communicated with her in the past, and it was a big turn off. She dodged questions asked and what she did answer had a tone to it like I was wasting her time. The points, 1300 is low and they have high maintenance fees at that property.

If I were in your shoes, I'd figure out a way out of it. Buy a different location, and then trade in. I seem to remember there was a lot of availability for that property.
She did the same to me. I only bid as I was waiting for her to answer me. She mislead on the MF's and was very snappy when I asked her about them. She said that she quoted the 2018 fees as she knew them. What she failed to mention is that the MF's will double (back to normal) after they reopen. I told her to talk to her seller and let me know and have not heard back from her. I will not proceed and she will get a neg. from me.

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score
She did the same to me. I only bid as I was waiting for her to answer me. She mislead on the MF's and was very snappy when I asked her about them. She said that she quoted the 2018 fees as she knew them. What she failed to mention is that the MF's will double (back to normal) after they reopen. I told her to talk to her seller and let me know and have not heard back from her. I will not proceed and she will get a neg. from me.

You may also want to give eBay a call and let them know what is going on. That way if she tries to file a non paying bidder report, you have already given them a heads up.

PerryKing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYATT: Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Bonita Springs, and 2X Dorado Puerto Rico.
-##-
MEXICO: Crown Paradise, Royal Holiday Club, Vidanta Mayan Palace, and Vidanta "Kingdom of the Sun-Nuevo Vallarta at Vidanta World.
The Club now is scheduled to open after 3 Jan 2019. ( Second hurricane did much more damage than they even estimated until they stared examining things more closely - like the wet walls etc. )

I had 5 weeks in a row cancelled for NOV and DEC 2017, then I rebooked 5 weeks for 2018 NOV and DEC but those will be cancelled also with the new opening time being projected as 3 JAN 2019. But I do love the place. I Bought one of the official resale weeks, week 21 for' $2600 from the on site Hyatt approve Broker (so I received the Hotel program included) . Then later I bought week 20 on ebay for $19. the purchase for only $19 Included receiving the current year paid Maintenance fee of around $1400 at NO COST TO ME ! ( I deposited the 1300 points I received into the External Exchange program with Interval International) and when all paperwork was done (it took about 7 months). When transfer to Hyatt membership was completed and the deal done, the resale company sent me a $200 Visa Gift card.

BUT JUST FYI for all: I do really like the place and especially the STAFF. Some day its going to be even nicer, so get one while you can, especially if you only need to add to your HYATT Points.

Remember Rockefeller spotted the beach and built the hotel next door, the Cerromar Beach - later operated by the Hyatt Hotel corp. (If he did not build the hotels (also the Dorado Beach Hotel at the other end of the golf course) he at least bought a lot of property in the area, including the Plantation across the street.( with two more golf courses and 3 buildings of Luxury condo fully owned units.) The Cerromar beach hotel property is now owned by the same Caribbean Properties Group that developed the new Ritz Carlton, and Million dollar wholly owned Condos and homes along the beach next to the Ritz, on the other side of the golf course from where the time share and old Cerromar Beach hotel are joined at the hip. The two hotels and time share are connected by the golf course, with the Ritz at the east side and the Hyatt Hacienda del Mar and Old Cerramor Hotel at the West side, and the course hugs along the coast line (With several residential neighborhoods in between ) at each end of the course.

SEE: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/16/travel/a-ritz-ups-the-ante-in-puerto-rico.html

and the same group still owns the "owners lounge" building on the Hyatt Hacienda del Mar property. It was actually the original Time Share sales office. But the location of the old Hyatt Cerromar hotel next-door that is now closed says something about the location. Cerromar Beach ! WOW !! , I'm sure that some day it will someday be torn down and replaced and the whole area will be returned to its former glory ! (Last heard rumor was that they we going to build a JW Marriott hotel, with some TS units in it also). That was before the two hurricanes hit last year ! But don't hold your breath on redevelopment any time soon of the next door old hotel. It dose and will be torn down before the property can build new !) . SO Just ignore the fenced in mess next door. (It looks like a war zone in there when peaking through the fence) and enjoy the Quite secluded beach at the Hyatt Hacienda del Mar for a relaxed wwonderful beach vacation. And then decide if you should get a Hyatt TS resale while you can at great prices.

I also own 3 other Hyatt's one in FL at COCONUT Plantation, and ski weeks in Colorado at Breckenridge and Beaver Creek.

Last edited:

PerryKing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
-##-
MEXICO: Crown Paradise, Royal Holiday Club, Vidanta Mayan Palace, and Vidanta "Kingdom of the Sun-Nuevo Vallarta at Vidanta World.

I was in San Juan around Christmas 2017 for one day on a HAL Cruise. I called the resort manager and ask if I might stop by the resort to see what happened to it. He said "no, it is now a large construction site, and no one but the construction company workers are allowed on the site." Even if he said yes, since I had limited time, I would have had to take a TAXI at $65 each way, which I out of hand declined to pay that much. So I guess I will have to wait until after JAN 3rd 2019 to get back to one of my favorite Hayat Residence clubs (which I do own 2 units at) see my post below from today also.

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar

We Marriott owners would have loved Hyatt’s gesture to make up for your lost week. I lost 3 Christmas weeks at Marriott Frenchman’s Cove and they would do absolutely nothing for us. Even the insurance they sold owners to cover lost weeks turned out to be worthless.

PerryKing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
-##-
Well sorry to hear that about you loosing out do to the Marriott policy. (You should , maybe, be able to at least deduct your losses on your 2017 income taxes as a Disaster loss - look into that possibility if its not to late for you) ) I also had 5 consecutive weeks booked at Hacienda dell Mar from NOV 2017 to Dec 2017. So since i could not use them (cancelled by Hyatt and the Hurricane) I ended up taking 4 back to back cruises totaling 39 days on Holland America Cruise line to the southern Caribbean and to the Eastern Caribbean with a one day stop in San Juan. around New years 2018. San Juan was back in Business !.

Anyway, Just FYI Hyatt refunded all the Club Use points that I had used for the reservations for Nov and Dec 2017 to my Hyatt account. And for the points would have expired that I made two of the reservations with (before they expired ) Hyatt is giving two COMP week stays in the same type of unit I had original reserved. Just FYI.

That was before they extended the estimated reopening date two Jan3,2019. So before they announced the extension I had already booked five more weeks for NOV-DEC 2018. Now they have to do it allover again. Hopefully I can get back there for NOV-DEC 2019.

Edward Druy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Windward Pointe Beach House Hacienda del Mar Pinion Point
I just spoke with a Hyatt rep handling the Hacienda Del Mar. I have CUP points about to expire, and wanted to know my options. She could not confirm any opening date for the resort in 2019, and let slip that an update will be sent out soon advising us owners of the progress. She let slip that one of the possibilities is that the resort may not open. Does anyone have any updated information.

bdh

TUG Member
Reaction score
In talking with the previous manager last week, the mgr commented that its targeted to open Dec 2019. Mgr went on to note that there was no structural damage to the buildings, but was a HUGE amount of water intrusion - so it's a complete rebuild/replacement of everything except the structural frame. The repair/rebuild is approx $25M - all but $2M will be covered by insurance. Combine HDM owners getting to use all their points at other Hyatt locations, having their MF cut in half for a year and paying less than 10% for a complete reno - things could have been a LOT worse for HDM owners.

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have seen some photos where they have gutted the units and look like they are ready to instal new everything. I doubt they would have gone to the effort of gutting the units if they were not going to re open the property (they would have either abandon it or torn it down).

Reactions: bdh

bdh

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have seen some photos where they have gutted the units and look like they are ready to instal new everything. I doubt they would have gone to the effort of gutting the units if they were not going to re open the property (they would have either abandon it or torn it down).

Agree with Sapper!

Regarding the old Cerromar: It is under the control of the development group that converted the former Hyatt Dorado property to a Ritz. There have been several different plans for the old Cerromar (hotel - hotel with some TS units - condos, etc) - however none of them resulted in a construction project yet. Sounds like the one that is going to win out is a hotel - timing of that is "uncertain" (I think that's how you spell "Puerto Rico"). Only bad news seems to be that the old lazy river will not be reactivated.

magicjourney

Reaction score
Here is the March update I got this morning:

Greetings from beautiful Puerto Rico!

We are pleased to provide another update on the ongoing efforts to restore Hyatt Residence Club Dorado, Hacienda del Mar, to its former splendor and are committed to providing regular communication regarding our progress.

We are currently anticipating a December 2019 opening. As this date may change based upon the progress of construction, we will share more information as it becomes available.

Since last month’s communication, construction teams have been working on infrastructure projects which include pipe insulation for in-room HVAC units, installing and wiring the HVAC door sensors, and painting of plumbing for fire sprinkler systems for easier identification during inspection and repair. The HVAC door sensors regulate the air conditioning system when the villa balcony door is open, which is both environmentally friendly and cost-efficient. Completion and inspection of these projects will allow us to move forward with other initiatives in the resort’s recovery plan.

Our next project in the resort’s restoration will be roof replacement on the villa buildings. This is especially exciting as it is the first step of one of the major exterior projects. Each step of the recovery plan that is completed brings us one step closer to welcoming our owners back to their beautifully restored resort. We look forward to providing the next resort update in April.

Sincerely,

General Manager

PerryKing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
-##-
Agree with Sapper!

Regarding the old Cerromar: It is under the control of the development group that converted the former Hyatt Dorado property to a Ritz. There have been several different plans for the old Cerromar (hotel - hotel with some TS units - condos, etc) - however none of them resulted in a construction project yet. Sounds like the one that is going to win out is a hotel - timing of that is "uncertain" (I think that's how you spell "Puerto Rico"). Only bad news seems to be that the old lazy river will not be reactivated.
The old Cerromar hotel building will never be reused, but it will have to be raised to make room for a smaller hotel just a bit east of the Cerromar building. The Last proposal , before the hurricane and before Marriott bought the Hyatt's, was that it would be built and Owned by the Caribbean Property Group and be managed by Marriott as a JW Marriott ( With a Casino )

The Caribbean Property Group is the same owner of the completely New 6 star Ritz, and Million dollar residences along the beach on the other side of the Golf Course, and of the Plantation across the highway from the Ritz. All these properties ( Cerromar Beach Hyatt the Dorado Beach Hyatt and the Plantation were originally developed by Rockefeller in the 60's or so. He saw how nice the beaches were including the one at the Cerromar beach and where the Hyatt Residence club is also located. (Its the same beach)

So that was the ideal anyway back in 2016 /17 … before the two hurricanes. NOW, If it ever happens who knows ! But the Hyatt Hacienda del Mar was a nice place, and great beach, before the hurricanes, and it looks like it will be even better after the refurbishment. So get one while you can !!

Last edited:

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
FYI for those who haven't checked - Rebuild must be going well. They are now accepting reservations starting the first week in December. Since HDM is a Saturday check-in, that means December 7th

ConejoRed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Craigendarroch Lodges, HGVC Bay Club, HGVC GP MarBrisa, Westin St. John, Westin Ka’anapali Ocean Villas, Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort (DRI), Worldmark
Good to see! I just got word that my Platinum week 3 just passed ROFR (only paying $250.00 for 2,000 points with seller paying closing) so now may ask the seller to reserve the week for my use since it is in the HRPP right now. It looks like it will be all new everything and it will be nice to experience it right after reopening.

Last edited:

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
You will need to report to us what you find. The 'sales' center/store/workout area and the bar/restaurant were in separate buildings, were not owned by HDM, and were not on their land. I wonder if any of that was rebuilt

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
Good to see! I just got word that my Platinum week 3 just passed ROFR (only paying $250.00 for 2,000 points with seller paying closing) so now may ask the seller to reserve the week for my use since it is in the HHRP right now) It looks like it will be all new everything and it will be nice to experience it right after reopening.

I'm so excited for you and hope to visit there one day myself...Have fun

ConejoRed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Craigendarroch Lodges, HGVC Bay Club, HGVC GP MarBrisa, Westin St. John, Westin Ka’anapali Ocean Villas, Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort (DRI), Worldmark
I am actually still waiting for my transfer to be completed. Have emailed the closing co. twice so far this month and have received no response. Excuse has been that the delay was with the PR Lawyer, but not sure. My week is week 3 so my last questions to the closing company was the status of the fixed week, i.e. was it booked or is it in CUP and finally if they could move it to EEE if not closed by that deadline. No answer to these question at all. Have told them I will cancel if no reasonable use in 2020 is available and I certainly don’t want to have to pay the 2020 maintenance fees if no real 2020 use is available which may mean changing the first use year to 2021 at the very least. Given the state of political affairs and the city of San Juan basically at a stand still at the moment, not hopeful that there will be much progress any time soon.

With regard to the opening, I did put in a waitlist request for a week there in April 2020 that matched fairly quickly so that was a good sign that it will be opening, but I had to cancel it because we are going to New Zealand this fall now.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
I am actually still waiting for my transfer to be completed. Have emailed the closing co. twice so far this month and have received no response. Excuse has been that the delay was with the PR Lawyer, but not sure. My week is week 3 so my last questions to the closing company was the status of the fixed week, i.e. was it booked or is it in CUP and finally if they could move it to EEE if not closed by that deadline. No answer to these question at all. Have told them I will cancel if no reasonable use in 2020 is available and I certainly don’t want to have to pay the 2020 maintenance fees if no real 2020 use is available which may mean changing the first use year to 2021 at the very least. Given the state of political affairs and the city of San Juan basically at a stand still at the moment, not hopeful that there will be much progress any time soon.

With regard to the opening, I did put in a waitlist request for a week there in April 2020 that matched fairly quickly so that was a good sign that it will be opening, but I had to cancel it because we are going to New Zealand this fall now.
Thanks

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef

ConejoRed, what company did you buy this TS from?