• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Advice on Keeping or Selling Old HGVC Las Vegas Flamingo TS

tinfever

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Las Vegas Flamingo
Hello all,

My mother and father purchased a 5000 point HGVC timeshare (January Home Week) from the developer for the Las Vegas Flamingo property around 1997. It's completely paid off by now but the maintenance fees are killing us. It's around $1250 per year + the finance and late fees since we can't always afford to pay it in full at the beginning of each year.

My father actually purchased it so he could guarantee hotel availability for a week in January to attend the COMDEX convention for his business and we used to use it every summer for vacation. However, he passed away nine years ago and now my mom, sister, and I are so busy and doing our own things that we don't have the time to vacation and make use of it like we used to.

This timeshare has a lot of sentimental value to us so we don't really want to sell it but we also know it makes zero financial sense to pay $1250 per year for something we don't use.

We currently still owe $1400 for this year's maintenance fees and need to decide what to do. Here are the options I can see:

1) My mother and I can both contribute to get the maintenance fees paid and then we can try to rent it out to recoup the maintenance fees until we are able to use it again. This might make the most sense if we could find a property manager to handle it since none of us have the time to handle renters, scheduling, paperwork, and everything.

2) We could pay the existing fees and then sell it and maybe get a small amount of money?

3) We could let it foreclose but that would tank my mother and father's (Although he doesn't exactly need it anymore) credit since they are both on the deed.

I think it would still make sense to keep it if we had the money to pay for it and were able to use it but neither of those are the case at the moment. Just typing this up, I'm guessing we should probably pay the fees, sell the property, use the money to help pay for my sister's college, and if the winds change and we have the time and money again we could then repurchase another 5000 point HGVC TS on the used market.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? Thank you!

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Hello all,

My mother and father purchased a 5000 point HGVC timeshare (January Home Week) from the developer for the Las Vegas Flamingo property around 1997. It's completely paid off by now but the maintenance fees are killing us. It's around $1250 per year + the finance and late fees since we can't always afford to pay it in full at the beginning of each year.

My father actually purchased it so he could guarantee hotel availability for a week in January to attend the COMDEX convention for his business and we used to use it every summer for vacation. However, he passed away nine years ago and now my mom, sister, and I are so busy and doing our own things that we don't have the time to vacation and make use of it like we used to.

This timeshare has a lot of sentimental value to us so we don't really want to sell it but we also know it makes zero financial sense to pay $1250 per year for something we don't use.

We currently still owe $1400 for this year's maintenance fees and need to decide what to do. Here are the options I can see:

1) My mother and I can both contribute to get the maintenance fees paid and then we can try to rent it out to recoup the maintenance fees until we are able to use it again. This might make the most sense if we could find a property manager to handle it since none of us have the time to handle renters, scheduling, paperwork, and everything.

2) We could pay the existing fees and then sell it and maybe get a small amount of money?

3) We could let it foreclose but that would tank my mother and father's (Although he doesn't exactly need it anymore) credit since they are both on the deed.

I think it would still make sense to keep it if we had the money to pay for it and were able to use it but neither of those are the case at the moment. Just typing this up, I'm guessing we should probably pay the fees, sell the property, use the money to help pay for my sister's college, and if the winds change and we have the time and money again we could then repurchase another 5000 point HGVC TS on the used market.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? Thank you!

I think you came to your own conclusion at the end there my friend. Do not keep it for sentimental reasons. It’s a timeshare...... get out now before the back maint fees start piling up then you’re really screwed. If you still have 2019 usage you can list the sale to include this years usage upon reimbursement for 2019 maint fee. Or sell it for whatever the maint fee is and pay that off and walk away then the buyer gets free 2019 usage for the purchase price of 1400. Just get out now.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
You can probably get at most about $2000 if you sell this. Of course, the maintenance fees need to be up to date as no one will buy a timeshare with fees in arrears.

You might ask that this thread be moved to the HGVC sub-forum, as you would probably get more exposure to those who really know the HGVC system.

Kurt

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
If you can get the maintenance fees current I think you could sell this for $2000 quickly if you include the 5000 points from 2019 as a bonus. Selling isn’t difficult as LT Transfers (highly rated here on TUG) could handle the whole process for you for about $250.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
You've dug quite a hole for yourself by not paying the fees.

As a buyer I would not touch this with a 10ft pole. The year is half over, no time to use the points for a summer vacation, there would be more fees to save the 2019 points to use next year.

If the issue is money I would just list it in the Bargain deals for free, buyer to cover all costs and delinquent fees because that is about all it's worth in my opinion. Its going to take some effort on your part to get rid of it.

It doesn't sound like you have the money or inclination to learn how to use it or rent it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You've dug quite a hole for yourself by not paying the fees.

As a buyer I would not touch this with a 10ft pole. The year is half over, no time to use the points for a summer vacation, there would be more fees to save the 2019 points to use next year.

If the issue is money I would just list it in the Bargain deals for free, buyer to cover all costs and delinquent fees because that is about all it's worth in my opinion. Its going to take some effort on your part to get rid of it.

It doesn't sound like you have the money or inclination to learn how to use it or rent it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I agree with this. If you don't have the time or money to learn how to rent it, I doubt you have the time to learn how to sell it effectively. It likely isn't worth enough for you to get anything if you list it with a broker.