• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Tesla Chargers near Sea Pines August 11-17, help!

sparty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks sparty, that would be perfect if we were staying there. It appears they won't let MVCI owners at other properties or non-MGO guests on property to use them. We own at Heritage, in FL and in the Points program but will have no access to Grande Ocean.

Could you please keep us posted? Let us know how it goes? Agree with the others, talk to the MGR of Grand Ocean like other posters have suggested.. Also might want to suggest you will pay for power used...

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Yep, we got the 2019 EZGO RXV Freedom Elite. Although it is not a fancy brand name like our friend's Garia and his has a 25mph max, we outdrive his cart uphill. With our 14-inch wheels, we can get up to 23mph. He tops up his lead acid batteries each week and we don't have any sort of maintenance on ours.

Not that it matters, but in 13 years of managing carts, and at one course where there were 200 additional private carts. I've never heard of anyone having to water their batteries every week. Once a month maybe, and never for some . . . that we would have to tow back in.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
A substation out in the heat, 1100 batteries needing water every month, 2200 terminals needing cleaning, 2200 cables rotting out . . . not a good choice when there are ESS to better handle it.

Planning for the future using yesterday's tools.

But, like most things, tell will tell.

It turns out that that project is experimental, to see if modified lead-acid batteries can work instead of lithium-ion, the batteries and project being partnered by a local battery manufacturer, using locally-available components:

The use of lead-based batteries is a departure from the mainstream of energy storage.

“Everyone’s focused on lithium,” Campbell said. “In Missouri and the Midwest, we have access to lead. This is a way to demonstrate that this is a marketable product.”

https://energynews.us/2018/04/27/mi...-energy-storage-to-extend-life-of-substation/

BreakingAway

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Monarch at Sea Pines (1)
Marriott Grande Ocean (4)
OK, I'll bite. But, I'm not much of a late-party person.

In our pathetic gas-guzzling, heavy-carbon-footprint, male-hormone-enhanced behemoth, we can get back and forth from our Florida and Northern place in 20 hours, with regular 15-minute-ish stops, wherever the gauge says it's time.

What would that trip be like in your Greenvicle?

:ponder:

& how big a camper could you tow?
Good afternoon, Old Guy. Greetings again. This brings back old memories from our talks years ago. It has been about 100 years since we had a similar discussion here on the TUG forums pages. The difference is that back then we were questioning how far we could travel in one of those auto mobiles when fillin’ stations were scarier than hen’s teeth. We talked about how your auto-mobile could not pull a wagon of hay up a hill whereas my horses could pull my wagon up any hill, and, if they got tired, all it took was a short stop to give them a little hay and they were headed back up that hill again. I could easily find a hitching post at the Harbor Club and you could not get into Grande Ocean to fill up with gasoline. You told me you then that there would be a day when you could fill up your auto-mobile just about anywhere and there would not be any horses pulling buggies and wagons. I just smiled knowing you were just jerking my chain. (Respectfully. I just couldn’t help myself.)

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
:D

I stand by "I'm just saying, for a significantly larger segment of the market, for EVs to become commonplace, the rule rather than the exception, they've got a ways to go."

There are currently 3.4 plug-in electric cars per 1000 people in the US. . . Sales of plug-in passenger cars achieved a 2.1% market share of new car sales in 2018.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_car_use_by_country

There are 811 vehicles per 1000 people in the US.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_vehicles_per_capita

But, I've noticed that when you own and drive something, it seems like you see a lot more of them.

Last edited:

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Next Saturday we have an annual tournament with 240 golfers, 120 at 9:00 and 120 at 2:00. For that tournament, the first carts come in, we restock the carts, tees and pencils, put the second group's bag on them, and off they go, almost as fast as I just posted that. You can imagine what happened every year toward the end of the day, when we had to run rental gas carts out to replace the ones that died.

Then, the next day, next Sunday, we have a 10th Anniversary Special and Pre-4th of July celebration, $100 golf for $20.09, so the carts will be used all day two days in a row.

That will be a good test.

Last edited:

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Very interesting discussion that has got me to thinking...we're considering buying a full-ownership vacation condo in Hilton Head in the next year or so. Each trip costs at least $70-75 or so in gas right now. With an EV, that cost would be much less. At about 250 miles each way, the trip should be well within the range of a Model 3 Tesla and other EVs. If we do eventually buy a condo, I would want to evaluate the economics of replacing one of our cars (both of which are getting up there in miles at 100K+ each) with an EV to use for the HHI "commute". The gas savings might help the economics considerably.

The biggest challenge might be the scarcity of Superchargers and other charging infrastructure in the Carolinas. Just looking at maps, it seems our region is lagging behind many other parts of the country in charging infrastructure. That's unfortunate.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Very interesting discussion that has got me to thinking...we're considering buying a full-ownership vacation condo in Hilton Head in the next year or so. Each trip costs at least $70-75 or so in gas right now. With an EV, that cost would be much less. At about 250 miles each way, the trip should be well within the range of a Model 3 Tesla and other EVs. If we do eventually buy a condo, I would want to evaluate the economics of replacing one of our cars (both of which are getting up there in miles at 100K+ each) with an EV to use for the HHI "commute". The gas savings might help the economics considerably.

The biggest challenge might be the scarcity of Superchargers and other charging infrastructure in the Carolinas. Just looking at maps, it seems our region is lagging behind many other parts of the country in charging infrastructure. That's unfortunate.

A good reason to go with a Hybrid model instead.........

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some

Sounds about like buying a travel trailer because your dog will not stay in a motel.

;)

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

My understanding is the plug-in hybrids work best in stop-and-go city driving as opposed to highway/interstate use where their smaller batteries don't function as efficiently as the full EVs. So, they may not be the best choice for the drive to/from HHI.

vice

TUG Member
Reaction score
JiminNC is the only Tugger I have met in person when we said hello to each other during the Heritage of Golf tournament on HHI a few years ago. Your travel distance to HHI would be very similar to mine and I can attest that the Model 3 Long Range would work perfectly for you. I have owned 2 Hybrids before the Tesla and they were great in their time, but all electric is the way to go now IMO. It makes no sense to lug around a gas motor. It did a few years ago before the Supercharger network was built. Between Charlotte and HHI you have the Columbia and Santee Supercharger, that is plenty of coverage (at the moment) along that route. Many more will pop up to satisfy demand as more Teslas hit the road.

JiminNC thanks for all of your great advice and observations on these boards about Marriott and other brands. It is a big part of the reason I am a happy and informed Marriott owner now.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Very interesting discussion that has got me to thinking...tbe biggest challenge might be the scarcity of Superchargers and other charging infrastructure in the Carolinas. Just looking at maps, it seems our region is lagging behind many other parts of the country in charging infrastructure. That's unfortunate.
We were accessing a similar dilemma. We have had a succession of Priuses, and they've been great, reliable, economical cars. But we wanted 'different'. Our second home condo is about 125 miles distant, and there is no Supercharger along that stretch of highway. Theoretically, a Tesla would make the distance (in some cases one would have to have the 'long range' battery- an expensive option)
So, for now anyway we 'settled' for a Honda Clarity Plugin hybrid. It charges overnight on household current, will go 50ish miles on electrons, and has a 1.5 liter gas engine for those highway trips. Around town, it's an EV. We simply don't turn on the IC engine. I touch the Hybrid button as we enter the highway, and it's 7 gallons of gas is good for 250ish miles. You can also charge the battery while driving on the IC engine, but it's kinda thirsty and only gets about 30mpg instead of about 45 when it's just providing motive power at 80 mph.
I guess it isn't as sexy as a pure EV, but that doesn't equal the feeling of driving past the Superchargers while the Tesla drivers are in the nearby restaurants while their fancy chariots load on enough electrons to get to the next Supercharger.
Overall, in 10 months and 11,000 miles the Honda has averaged 67 miles per gallon of gas. And it cost about half the price of a Model S Tesla.
Maybe as infrastructure builds out here in the sparcely populated intermountain West, we'll consider going pure EV, but not yet.

Jim

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Gosh, now I'm afraid to even say Escalade.

Hummer certainly not.

;)

vice

TUG Member
Reaction score
I haven't read anything in this thread that is bashing owning an ICE vehicle. I also own a Ram pickup necessary for work and have owned a large SUV for personal use in the past. I simply love the Tesla 3 for the performance, economics of ownership, and the autopilot driver assist that lets me arrive at my vacation destination without being mentally drained from fighting traffic on I-95. You better believe I will be one of the first to sign up for the Tesla Pickup when it is released.
Gosh, now I'm afraid to even say Escalade.

Hummer certainly not.

;)

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I haven't read anything in this thread that is bashing owning an ICE vehicle. I also own a Ram pickup necessary for work and have owned a large SUV for personal use in the past. I simply love the Tesla 3 for the performance, economics of ownership, and the autopilot driver assist that lets me arrive at my vacation destination without being mentally drained from fighting traffic on I-95. You better believe I will be one of the first to sign up for the Tesla Pickup when it is released.
Me too. I like my Tundra, but now, knowing the advantages of an EV, I'll definitely be checking out the Tesla P/U if it's numbers pencil out- and of course it turns out to be a quality vehicle like I suspect it will be,

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
I haven't read anything in this thread that is bashing owning an ICE vehicle.

:)

It just felt like I was at a Tesla convention.

jmmoultn

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I tried the front desk but haven't tried the GM to see if they would let us use the GO chargers a couple times during our visit. Was hoping maybe a TUGger would be down there with one car and 2 parking passes, who might be able to share one. We could share a SeaPines gate pass ;-)

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
To the OP. This is my final suggestion. Asked the concierge at the Marriott’s Heritage Resort to contact their counterpart at GO or the resort Mgr at GO about this problem

Last edited:

jmmoultn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, will give that a try. Kinda wished we had bought a resale GO instead of Ocean Pointe. They were pretty comparable!

illbdam

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Club
My wife and I are MVCI owners at Heritage, but are staying at Harbour Club in August. We are hoping to drive a Tesla down from Boston but found out neither Harbour Club nor Heritage has an EV charger -- but Grande Ocean does, though I guess they won't allow access to guests of other Marriott properties (now wishing we had purchased that resale there, instead of Ocean Pointe). Looks like not too many other Level 2 chargers around Sea Pines so we might have limited options. Any other TUGgers that might be there and willing to share/lend/sell one of their 2 car passes, or have found other options? I see that Rockfish at Coligny has a charger so we may eat there, but may need a couple of 3-4 hour stretches for the week. Thanks!

Suggestion: Use the charger at Coligny and walk over to the Tiki Hut (on the beach behind Holiday Inn) for a fun afternoon of music, drinks, and food...all awhile your Tesla is charging.

jmmoultn

TUG Member
Reaction score
We will probably need a couple of 4 hour or longer sessions (depending on the charge speed) over the course of the week, so that may be a long time at Coligny but it is one idea. Thanks!

illbdam

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Club
We will probably need a couple of 4 hour or longer sessions (depending on the charge speed) over the course of the week, so that may be a long time at Coligny but it is one idea. Thanks!

4 hours at the Tiki Hut is about right.....They have 2 bands that play everyday... each band will play for 4 hours with a break. First one starts at 1 and the other starts around 5. Tiki Hut is across the street from Coligny behind the Holiday Inn on the beach. Great place to eat, drink and listen to beach music during the day.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some

That's why I was asking what a 1200 mile drive to FL would be like.

Wahoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Summit Watch
Marriott Mountainside
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Grande Ocean
Marriott Ocean Watch
That's why I was asking what a 1200 mile drive to FL would be like.

I purchased my Tesla about 2 years ago, and have put about 25,000 miles on it. I've had to use a supercharger a grand total of 2 times in that 2 year period, just enough to provide a little extra range on long trips. Total time spent charging away from home in 2 years is under 60 minutes. How many total minutes do you think you've spent filling up with gas in the past 2 years? That has been one of the biggest unexpected positives of this vehicle... I didn't realize previously how much time I spent sitting at a gas station filling up the tank. Now when I have to fill up my wife's car I feel embarrassingly annoyed at the several minutes of wasted time!

Granted, I mostly use my Tesla for my work commute (35 miles each way), trips to the nearby ski resort/hiking (~50 miles each way), and occasionally for shorter road trips (~100-150 miles each way). None of these trips require stops to charge. I plug in when I get home at night, and by morning I'm fully charged and ready to go.

Longer road trips create some challenges, as you rightly point out. That said, with the newer vehicles sporting 400+ mile batteries, and with the supercharger network rapidly expanding, road trips are getting easier and easier. And then there's this big game changer: the new (V3) Tesla Superchargers charge at 250kw, at a rate of 1000 miles/hour (about 2x as fast as the current superchargers). So, less than 30 minutes to fully charge a battery from 0 to ~400 miles of range. These V3 chargers are not widespread yet, but are rolling out now. Once fully rolled out, your 1200 mile drive to Florida would require 2 30 minute pit stops.

Sorry for sounding like a Tesla fan-boy here, but felt compelled to share my experience.