• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Shell to Wyndham Presentation

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
We own 17,000 Shell Vacations Club West points (7,000 are developer). We did a presentation yesterday in San Diego at the Wyndham resort during our stay at Inn at the Park via Shell.

Bottom line is that we did not convert (pre-enroll our points) due to our ages, other timeshare ownership, expected usage of Wyndham and lack of a clear timeshare heir to pass on the VIP benefits to. However, I felt the (final) deal to convert that we were given was a pretty good deal.

For around $15,000 we would buy a small number of Wyndham CWA points and all of our Shell points (including resale) would be converted to Wyndham at a 40 to 1 ratio making us permanently VIP Gold (existing structure - platinum in new structure). The points were at a "long ago" price and there was no separate conversion fee - supposedly $2950.

However, we would be some kind of hybrid new Shell/Wyndham owner - the difference being our ability to use Shell as per our current situation (except with the minimal new CWA points). Supposedly none of our Shell benefits would change at all (except be expressed in the new higher point currency). Unfortunately, our VIP benefits would not apply to Shell stays (unless they maybe changed something in the future).

Technically we would be "pre-enrolling" our points for a sometime in 2020 conversion (once they got their programming, etc ready). Since we didn't buy I never read the paperwork to learn how this is technically structured - which I'd love to know.

The sales part was acting like everyone should have already enrolled our points and that resale points were no longer eligible for conversion or attaining VIP status. BUT....they MIGHT be able to make an exception if you were really interested.

We spent a long time there but that's mostly because we are chatty (and the final deal didn't come until we were heading out the door).

Again, I didn't feel overly pressured (they figured out early on that I am a very informed timeshare owner) and thought the price to end up VIP gold was pretty good.

I now many of you would have jumped at this chance to get the VIP benefits (which I admit - weren't bad) but it just didn't make sense for us and our expected use/non-use of Wyndham (we already own Worldmark).

Hope this is helpful to people.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
Thanks for that detailed report. That you "should have already enrolled your points" sounds like sales hooey to me, and I somehow suspect that if you had pressed forward they would suddenly discover your resale points were not eligible. Previous reports on SVC conversions indicate that only developer points can be converted (in conjunction with a purchase).

slabeaume

Reaction score
sounds like how we ended up converting our Pahio weeks into Wyndham a few years ago. We had 2 developer weeks and 2 resale. All 4 weeks converted when we bought another developer 1bedroom EOY week. We've been enjoying our Wyndham VIP ownership every since.

Now if only they'd let us use our Wyndham points to book Hawaii Shell properties!

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
sounds like how we ended up converting our Pahio weeks into Wyndham a few years ago. We had 2 developer weeks and 2 resale. All 4 weeks converted when we bought another developer 1bedroom EOY week. We've been enjoying our Wyndham VIP ownership every since.

Now if only they'd let us use our Wyndham points to book Hawaii Shell properties!
And I thought I got a good deal. Four converted weeks - wow!

christye77

TUG Member
Reaction score
For around $15,000 we would buy a small number of Wyndham CWA points and all of our Shell points (including resale) would be converted to Wyndham at a 40 to 1 ratio making us permanently VIP Gold (existing structure - platinum in new structure). The points were at a "long ago" price and there was no separate conversion fee - supposedly $2950.
and the final deal didn't come until we were heading out the door).

Can I ask if they were certain about the resale being converted? We did an update and were offered the 40 to 1 conversion but the sales agent got really pushy and kept going to ask questions (even though we weren't asking her questions) and only ever said "if" the resale would count then it was a great deal. We have over 21000 pts but about a third are resell. Thanks

JohnPaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
The offer was very clear and pushed on the basis of getting VIP Gold even though we owned resale.

Since we didn't try to sign don't know if it wouid hit a snag but I don't think so. The guy who made the offer seemed to be a manager.

And...I had already told them I read all of the documents so they knew they couldn't say one thing and try to sell something different.

I think they really need people to convert. I wouldn't hold my breath for that offer to last long.

Last edited:

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
The offer was very clear and pushed on the basis of getting VIP Gold even though we owned resale.

Since we didn't try to sign don't know if it wouid hit a snag but I don't think so. The guy who made the offer seemed to be a manager.

And...I had already told them I read all of the documents so they knew they couldn't say one thing and try to sell something different.

I think they really need people to convert. I wouldn't hold my breath for that offer to last long.

Agreed I would demand to actually see the paperwork stating that the resale points would convert, but if so, that's a pretty good deal! :) Wondering aloud if I should pick up a resale Shell contract and hold out for a resale conversion offer. :)

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Agreed I would demand to actually see the paperwork stating that the resale points would convert, but if so, that's a pretty good deal! :) Wondering aloud if I should pick up a resale Shell contract and hold out for a resale conversion offer. :)
Why would you do that? It seems a bit crazy to buy something with high fees like Shell, hoping for a conversion that might not even happen. Just try to get rid of Shell. It's pretty tough. I can attest to that. I get by with renting my Shell points for my cost in MF's. Also, I have some ongoing searches Shell> Disney through RCI. I am really hoping to get a few January weeks. If I get my January weeks, that will be a great value. But I am not holding my breath that the points will stay at 2,500 for a one bedroom through exchange.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
Why would you do that? It seems a bit crazy to buy something with high fees like Shell, hoping for a conversion that might not even happen. Just try to get rid of Shell. It's pretty tough. I can attest to that. I get by with renting my Shell points for my cost in MF's. Also, I have some ongoing searches Shell> Disney through RCI. I am really hoping to get a few January weeks. If I get my January weeks, that will be a great value. But I am not holding my breath that the points will stay at 2,500 for a one bedroom through exchange.

Because if they would convert the Shell contracts to Wyndham contracts - which is what the OP said - then I would only actually have to pay the Shell MFs for a relatively short period of time before obtaining a 40:1 points conversion into a Wyndham contract with lower MFs. I could then also convert my CWA contracts to a lower MF CWS contract if I so desired, during the same transaction, and obtain a higher VIP tier in the process without having to actually purchase Shell developer points. I obviously wouldn't even consider doing this unless someone else who owns Shell resale actually succeeds in doing it, hence the "wondering aloud" part. :)

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I would definitely want to see the fine print before attempting a Shell purchase. We own 25,300 points in Shell, so converted we would be at platinum level, but we already have platinum via conversion of PAHIO weeks, so I doubt they would offer it to us. I could check it out, certainly. I may do that. We are there in late September. I could reserve a few days at Shell and then go to the presentation. If they offered a great deal, I might be willing to convert, but I just kind of doubt that would work.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
I would definitely want to see the fine print before attempting a Shell purchase. We own 25,300 points in Shell, so converted we would be at platinum level, but we already have platinum via conversion of PAHIO weeks, so I doubt they would offer it to us. I could check it out, certainly. I may do that. We are there in late September. I could reserve a few days at Shell and then go to the presentation. If they offered a great deal, I might be willing to convert, but I just kind of doubt that would work.

How many developer points do you have right now? Might be worth considering if you don't already have 1.4MM points for the upcoming Titanium level in late 2020. At least that way you would stay at the top tier within Wyndham. But only if you see value in doing so of course. :)

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What the heck is titanium level? I doubt they will take the platinum levels down a notch. They have the presidential level, and I didn't see any benefit to it. It was something we could not get without a huge purchase. Our salesperson at PAHIO said it was unlimited guest certificates and units platinum members cannot get, presidential units. Stupid salespeople/ sleazy "if their lips are moving, they are lying," doublespeak.

JohnPaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Because if they would convert the Shell contracts to Wyndham contracts - which is what the OP said - then I would only actually have to pay the Shell MFs for a relatively short period of time before obtaining a 40:1 points conversion into a Wyndham contract with lower MFs.

FWIW - I think it's somewhat oversimplified to think you are getting the same CWA points that already exist. MF were going to stay the same on our Shell related points but be based on CWA for our new small purchase. The MF for the CWA part were more expensive than the Shell part. I don't know it that's for some base Wyndham club fee included.

I would have been very curious to read the legal documents to see how this is actually structured. Remember, this is a new unique Shell/Wyndham hybrid that keeps everything Shell and adds Wyndham. My guess is that the structure is too complicated to explain easily so they just say you are converting to Wyndham at 40:1 and keeping all your Shell benefits.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
What the heck is titanium level? I doubt they will take the platinum levels down a notch. They have the presidential level, and I didn't see any benefit to it. It was something we could not get without a huge purchase. Our salesperson at PAHIO said it was unlimited guest certificates and units platinum members cannot get, presidential units. Stupid salespeople/ sleazy "if their lips are moving, they are lying," doublespeak.

I guess you haven't been keeping track of the impending changes to the VIP program coming via the Privileges program that will be replacing the current VIP program in late 2020. Here's the thread on TUG that outlines everything:

https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...-vip-levels-starting-late-2020-merged.289659/

This isn't just salesperson BS, it's real. I have discussed this program change with multiple regional directors at Wyndham already (these aren't sales people). And yes, current Platinum owners will no longer be the top tier, as the Titanium tier will become the top tier and will require minimum 1.4MM points. If you are currently VIPP - the benefits you have today will stay intact (and some other benefits as yet to be named may also be added), but a new higher tier will exist above Platinum owners when Privileges goes into effect late 2020 timeframe.

Specific to PR benefits, I'm not very familiar with the PR program, so I will not comment in this respect.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Looks like sales' mumbo-jumbo to me. But you probably know better than I. My Shell points at 40:1 wouldn't get me to a top 1.4 million points, unless they allowed me to PIC a couple of 3 bedrooms, then I would be right in that range.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
Looks like sales' mumbo-jumbo to me. But you probably know better than I. My Shell points at 40:1 wouldn't get me to a top 1.4 million points, unless they allowed me to PIC a couple of 3 bedrooms, then I would be right in that range.

All current VIPs received a formal letter via email on 5/16 from the CEO introducing the Privileges program. That letter is posted in the thread I linked to. If you are VIP you would have received this communication as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vee Ts

Reaction score
I did another presentation to compare what I heard the first time. 84k is the min you can buy for 17k (15k after saying "No" a couple time). In the end I said I was hoping I can just convert my existing SVC to CWP and the manager said yes but the enrollment/conversion fee will be $2950. If you buy the min 84k CWP then there's no enrollment/conversion fee.

JohnPaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I did another presentation to compare what I heard the first time. 84k is the min you can buy for 17k (15k after saying "No" a couple time). In the end I said I was hoping I can just convert my existing SVC to CWP and the manager said yes but the enrollment/conversion fee will be $2950. If you buy the min 84k CWP then there's no enrollment/conversion fee.

That's the same offer I got.

r4rab

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA Margaritaville(USVI)
All current VIPs received a formal letter via email on 5/16 from the CEO introducing the Privileges program. That letter is posted in the thread I linked to. If you are VIP you would have received this communication as well.

Interesting. I just searched my email and never received such an email despite being Silver VIP. Learned about Privileges through other means...

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II

Was the $2950 conversion fee per contract or per membership? Just curious - have no intention of converting but want to learn as much as I can so we can skip the owner “update” next month without feeling that we’ve missed out on knowledge. Many thanks to you, @Vee Ts, for taking one (or two, I guess) for the team!

JohnPaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I was under the impression that it was $2950 per membership.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Is picking up 126K points with no closing worth it? Is there a point chart? Can I book anywhere?

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
Is picking up 126K points with no closing worth it? Is there a point chart? Can I book anywhere?

You can book at any Club Wyndham resorts, affiliates, and associate hotels. The last two types have very limited accommodations and hard to get into. Without knowing what you want to book and when, it’s impossible to say if it’s worth it. As resale, you cannot book Club Pass (WorldMark locations). You can search the points charts yourself to answer your question by looking at the directory which I provided a link to below.

Wyndham directory

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/wyndham/plus_membersdirectory1819/

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What points are you talking about? Wyndham points? Is it worth what? To me, it's worth about $200 with closing costs included. It's worth nearly $0.

Now converting the Shell to Club Wyndham, that could be worth whatever they want to charge you for it, but only if you own a lot of Shell points that they will convert. If they won't do the whole shebang, it's not worth anything. I won't be able to convert because Wyndham will stop me. I would love to, but for now I just rent Peacock Suites at my cost, and that has worked out fine.