• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Little add on to the Puck trick

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
All these tricks are overwhelming me. Yet I learn about them on TUG and feel the need to get the absolute best deal and use of my points. But what I really want is to enjoy vacations and not obsess over winning every time.
To me they are one and the same. It's not about obsessing but being informed about the membership and options. If one knows and feels the option isn't helpful for them, they can chose to ignore it, like walking DVC reservations for example. Unless one is willing to put a certain amount of planning, education and effort into the process; timesharing likely isn't a good choice for that person.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just to be clear, when you say "without selecting points" you mean using the "Hold" option when booking the reservation? And this is only possible if you have the necessary points still available in your account as for me it will not even show the option if my available points are too low.
Yes, you can hold and browse or go ahead and proceed to the next page when the system asks you to select which bucket of points you want to use...

jpa2825

TUG Member
Reaction score
For the case where a full week is available, there is no need to take SUN-THU in holding points. You can either book without selecting points, call MVC and they will cancel SUN-THU and you can then apply the holding points to the new reservation. Similarly, you can simply call MVC and they will do the same, i.e. book the week and hold it, cancel SUN-THU and apply the points back to the new reservation.

Learn something new from TUG every day. I hope to try this soon.

jpa2825

TUG Member
Reaction score
<snip>As for the Sunday - Thursday reservation with a Fri-Sat hotel stay as a back up, well I don’t particularly find packing up all of my stuff for a couple of days appealing. If one is on vacation, then in my opinion, who wants to be moving around like that.<snip>

Not for everyone and I agree about not liking to pack up and move. However, for a trip where I can either "haul a**" and drive a long time to get to a resort on a FRI evening OR take a leisurely drive with a nice stop off in quaint locations and arrive at resort early on a SUN and enjoy things until room is ready, sometimes I like the latter. A good example for me is a stop for 2 nights in Asheville on the way to HHI. Great town to spend 2 nights in and all I really miss is SAT in HHI b/c I would get there so late on FRI that it's worthless AND I get there early from Asheville.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
They will also do it after the fact if you book the week then call them within a day or so. They'll need a supervisor to move the points around but it's easily done.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
They will also do it after the fact if you book the week then call them within a day or so. They'll need a supervisor to move the points around but it's easily done.
But when you make the reservation within 60 days, and use non-holding points, can a supervisor later move cancelled reservation points, that become holding points, to replace the points used during 60 days and get them back as regular points? I don't think you can do that.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
But when you make the reservation within 60 days, and use non-holding points, can a supervisor later move cancelled reservation points, that become holding points, to replace the points used during 60 days and get them back as regular points? I don't think you can do that.
While you never know what answer you'll get, I've done that several times and been told by CS specifically (they suggested it) to book it when I see it online and to then call in and have them fix it. I specifically questioned the fact it was already within 60 days and was told if it was done within a timely manner (like the next working day) it was not a problem.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Puck trick is a nice little POssibLE point saver, but a big hassle in my opinion. If it’s a place I really want to go, I don’t want to messing with my reservation at 61 days and canceling in the HOPE it will be there tomorrow for me to reserve it the next day. It is too risky when I may have plane reservations and such riding on it.

As for the Sunday - Thursday reservation with a Fri-Sat hotel stay as a back up, well I don’t particularly find packing up all of my stuff for a couple of days appealing. If one is on vacation, then in my opinion, who wants to be moving around like that.

Now I understand that these are strategies and possibilities that can be utilized and can be effective if successful. However, it seems like it can be stressful and there could be some luck involved for some of the resorts that are high demand. I am retiring in two years. The best option I will exercise is just waiting for 60 days to hit and let the chips fall as they may or use Destination Escapes. Hassle free!!

I have yet to have a stay on points where I have not used it. On current trip, used at Surfers Paradise and Phuket Beach Club. While I know about resort credits, I just use holding points for stays. But I am retired so have infinite flexibility. For me, it's not a "possible" saver it's a required saver.

Quimby4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II
Riviera Beach Spa Resort (deed back 2018)
The actual Puck Trick does not leave you at risk. If your ressie is available 60 days or closer to check in, and you are Presidential or Chairman level, you simply call MVC, have then place your desired ressie on hold, cancel your existing ressie, use the holding points from your cancelled ressie to book your cheaper ressie using the 60 day discount, and what you have left are the net savings in points from the discount sitting in your holding account to be used for something else (resort credit, another close in ressie, additional nights, etc)

The one downside is date stamp on your ressie. If you originally booked at the 13 or 12 month window, and have an early date stamp for room placement hierarchy, you would lose that and now have a very late date stamp and be at the bottom of the barrel in your group for room assignment as date stamp seems to be very important in the points world for room assignments.
Only Presidential or Chairman Level to do this? Being Bonvoy Platinum won't work for this trick? Thx

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Only Presidential or Chairman Level to do this? Being Bonvoy Platinum won't work for this trick? Thx
Pres or Chairman at 60 days. Executive can do it at 30 days. Bonvoy Platinum has no bearing.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
I have yet to have a stay on points where I have not used it. On current trip, used at Surfers Paradise and Phuket Beach Club. While I know about resort credits, I just use holding points for stays. But I am retired so have infinite flexibility. For me, it's not a "possible" saver it's a required saver.

In two years, I will have your flexibility. I am just not sure that even with that level of flexibility that I would want to put points in a holding position. I want to keep total flexibility on my points.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score

Talking about MVC points and so timeshare ownership levels, not rewards points which are Bonvoy.

wdmenke

TUG Member
Reaction score
"As for the Sunday - Thursday reservation with a Fri-Sat hotel stay as a back up, well I don’t particularly find packing up all of my stuff for a couple of days appealing. If one is on vacation, then in my opinion, who wants to be moving around like that."

Try booking the resort through the Marriott website. They often have available inventory, particularly with enough lead time, and sometimes with better rates, especially if you are at the Presidential or Chairman's level, which provide discounts. Monitor the price from time to time. Unlike club points, which are only discounted at the 60-day interval, prices may vary at any given moment.

If you're willing to take on extra work, use your MVC points to book reservations one day at a time. Finding a full week or longer at the 60 day point could be difficult, but single days often become available and can be swapped out with the Puck trick.

Last edited:

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
While you never know what answer you'll get, I've done that several times and been told by CS specifically (they suggested it) to book it when I see it online and to then call in and have them fix it. I specifically questioned the fact it was already within 60 days and was told if it was done within a timely manner (like the next working day) it was not a problem.

That’s really cool —- To confirm - you see an available unit (within 60 days) and book it online with unrestricted points - then call in and have them substitute restricted points (presumably generated from canceling a reservation you couldn’t cancel online). You get your unrestricted points back.

So it’s a clever variation of the Puck Trick, for when the VOA is not open? Do I have this right? Thank you.

Best,

Greg

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
That’s really cool —- To confirm - you see an available unit (within 60 days) and book it online with unrestricted points - then call in and have them substitute restricted points (presumably generated from canceling a reservation you couldn’t cancel online). You get your unrestricted points back.

So it’s a clever variation of the Puck Trick, for when the VOA is not open? Do I have this right? Thank you.

Best,

Greg
I've done it and I've been told twice that's how to do so when I called to swap out a reservation. I was concerned I'd have the points in holding. How I understand you could get different answers and it has to be a supervisor t swap out the points.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
In two years, I will have your flexibility. I am just not sure that even with that level of flexibility that I would want to put points in a holding position. I want to keep total flexibility on my points.

Can't wait?

Ok, here's the thing. I make reservation for 2000 points. When it comes time, I use the trick. So, it becomes 1,400 points. Let's compare:

1. I don't use the trick. I am out, 2000 points our course.
2. I do use the trick, I have 600 points in holding, and, am out 1,400 points. Let's say somehow I never get to use those 600, unlikely. What am I out? 2,000 points, same as #1, worst case! Best case, I get something, maybe an extension to a stay.

So, not sure why you would not. Nothing to lose, stuff to gain.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Can't wait?

Ok, here's the thing. I make reservation for 2000 points. When it comes time, I use the trick. So, it becomes 1,400 points. Let's compare:

2. I do use the trick, I have 600 points in holding, and, am out 1,400 points. Let's say somehow I never get to use those 600, unlikely. What am I out? 2,000 points, same as #1, worst case! Best case, I get something, maybe an extension to a stay.

I used a variation for Aruba this past summer and may do the same for an upcoming HHI trip. Basically I got last minute exchanges and canceled the corresponding days that overlapped and thus took holding account points. In your example it's a freebie, in mine just cheaper but I also got more points back for Aruba and would get 4500 if I decide to cancel one of our now 11 units for HHI.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
Can't wait?

I understand now. So you're not out of anything if you can apply the trick, but can gain if the trick is able to be completed in in worse case scenario you have points available to you that you would not have otherwise had. It makes sense.

jpa2825

TUG Member
Reaction score

Minor hiccup encountered today. Used modified Puck w/i 60 days to change reservation at Grand Chateau from FRI & SAT to THU, FRI & SAT. No worries.

Found out schedule and nobody is arriving until AM on FRI. Called to cancel THU. Rep was very nice and tried to rebook herself and then cancel. Couldn't do it due to availability. She said she'd just need to get a Supervisor to just cancel the THU night. Took longer than expected. She eventually came back and said in VERY rare occasions some properties require a 3 day stay. She couldn't figure out why a mid-OCT date in Vegas would have this restriction but they called the property and everything.

Not a huge deal as I am arriving 0900 and will at least have immediate access to the room rather than potentially having to wait until 1600 to get in. Didn't do the math, but still likely saved points by getting the 30% discount on 3 nights rather than full price on 2 nights.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Minor hiccup encountered today. Used modified Puck w/i 60 days to change reservation at Grand Chateau from FRI & SAT to THU, FRI & SAT. No worries.

Found out schedule and nobody is arriving until AM on FRI. Called to cancel THU. Rep was very nice and tried to rebook herself and then cancel. Couldn't do it due to availability. She said she'd just need to get a Supervisor to just cancel the THU night. Took longer than expected. She eventually came back and said in VERY rare occasions some properties require a 3 day stay. She couldn't figure out why a mid-OCT date in Vegas would have this restriction but they called the property and everything.

Not a huge deal as I am arriving 0900 and will at least have immediate access to the room rather than potentially having to wait until 1600 to get in. Didn't do the math, but still likely saved points by getting the 30% discount on 3 nights rather than full price on 2 nights.
It does look like this weekend requires 3 nights for some reason. Fortunately the Thursday night is much cheaper and it's likely worth it to have the room available early in this situation. I think it's LV Pride weekend.

dansimms

TUG Member
Reaction score
I use up all my current Year DPs and constantly am booking using next years Points. If anything goes into the holding account , I have all of next year to use then within the 60 days. I live an hour from the Pulse NYC and only stay there for stays booked in under 60 days, so this is a great enhancement to the Puck truck for me.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
It does look like this weekend requires 3 nights for some reason. Fortunately the Thursday night is much cheaper and it's likely worth it to have the room available early in this situation. I think it's LV Pride weekend.
Ifs the weekend requires 3 nights, how was it possible to first get a reservation for Friday and Saturday only?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ifs the weekend requires 3 nights, how was it possible to first get a reservation for Friday and Saturday only?
You'd have to ask Marriott why but my guess is they added the requirement later after jpa2825 had their original reservation. Even now if you want to get in tonight or tomorrow night you have to make it a 3 day reservation search to see those nights show up as available. I don't have any experience calling and getting past this issue and I don't recall a post where anyone was able to get a reservation by calling they couldn't get searching online when there was a minimum stay the resort had instituted. But given the next 2 nights are available, it would make sense to waive or remove that requirement in this situation. Maybe others have direct experience getting past such an issue.