• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Diamonds in the rough still exist (RCI)

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was looking for a low-cost escape during the third week of August. I grabbed an extra vacation at the Inn @ Silvercreek in one of their studio loft units. Less than $350 all-in (including the Platinum 10% discount), less than 30 minutes from the Western entry to Rocky Mountain National Park in Granby. Still in peak season. The resort is on the basic side, and reading the reviews it seems pretty clear that I'll need reasonable expectations going in. But, I'm looking for a good base camp for hiking, kayaking, and getting out and about in nature. This seems perfect for that!

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I gave in and joined RCI after 14 yrs of timeshare ownership to rent the type of weeks you found. IE not the best resorts or best times. We joined in October and here is our list of sale units we have booked. All for under 300 and most in the low 200 dollar range

eagles nest Massanutten Oct
Mittersil resort NH feb
shawnee village Poconos early march
Summer place Bethany Beach DE early april
crafts inn southern vt may
Mountainside stowe vt may

we have booked an early septermber week at Mountainside @ Massanutten.

We have been surprised at how much we have enjoyed these off season basic weeks. We have hiked, biked and in general spent time outside when you would not expect too and used these weeks to get off the couch. I have no problem taking that less than spectacular inventory off their hands at bargain prices.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
I looked at the reviews on Trip Advisor and saw people expressing surprise that there were bad reviews. You have a lot of enjoyable activities planned and from what I read this resort will be fine. It sounds like it will be a wonderful trip!

From the reviews I read there were some that are the type I have learned to ignore. Even the best resorts can sometimes have issues with a unit or the staff not being responsive to problems. And some people aren't satisfied if a resort isn't their idea of top of the line and has every amenity

Some of our favorite memories were made at resorts other people won't even consider giving a chance. A resort on Sanibel Island that we have stayed at four times that we can remember for sure and have a reservation to stay at again in December is one of them. We and our now 7 year old granddaughter love this resort. She was the reason we kept going back. We have a reservation there for the second week of December and are looking forward to introducing the resort to our younger granddaughter who will be 3 in a few days. She is finally old enough to start taking her vacations on her own with Grandma and Papa now that her sister is in school.

On our first stay at this resort my husband was on our second story balcony and saw an eagle land on the ground with something it had caught. The eagle was about 50 feet away in the green space/park like setting in front of our building. By the time he got my attention to join him on the balcony the eagle had flown up and was sitting in a tree finishing its meal but I still got a good view of it. We've seen the eagles every time we've gone back but haven't seen them that close up again.

This resort has a huge box of sand and beach toys that our granddaughter loves to explore. I think I once posted a picture of her on the beach at this resort flying a kite with Nemo on it that she found in that box. I got it untangled and flight worthy and my husband had shown her what to do and was standing with her ready to lend a hand and guide her when she needed it. She had been happily getting it up and flying it for a good half hour when she started crying that the kite had to come down. All my husband could get out of her was "birds eat fish." He was mystified by her cryptic remark because she's seen plenty of pelicans, sea gulls and even osprey so this wasn't news to her. He called for me to come interpret. It took me a few seconds for the light bulb to turn on to figure it out. She was sure the sea gulls that had shown up were going to eat this wonderful kite because Nemo is of course a fish. I said to my husband, "Well, Papa, you've seen the movie and more than once too so you know how greedy sea gulls are." Through her tears she then tried to explain to her none too bright Papa what horrible danger her wonderful kite was in. I did manage to explain to her that her kite wasn't in any danger before we broke down laughing so hard we cried. And I managed to choke out that we were laughing at Papa for being so silly not to remember that so we weren't hurting her feelings and she could laugh with us. We still laugh about that time and say we hope to still be alive and in possession of our faculties when this granddaughter has children of her own so we can show them the pictures and tell them the story about their mother.

Last edited:

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
From the reviews I read there were some that are the type I have learned to ignore. Even the best resorts can sometimes have issues with a unit or the staff not being responsive to problems. And some people aren't satisfied if a resort isn't their idea of top of the line and has every amenity
Jan, I read the reviews and had exactly the same impression. I will be sure to enter a review in the TUG review database when I get back!

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
:D

Just got rid of the last of our three weeks there. Took me about ten years to get them to do a deedback.

It is what it is, kinda a big, awkward condo resort from the past.

Believe it or not, it was a top trader in the circa 2000 Trading Power tests, and we used a studio to get a 3-bedroom at OLCC Christmas week (as an example).

Not any more.

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We owned a quartershare at inn of Silvercreek for a number of years. It wasn't fancy. Rustic is a good description. There were some management problems. A couple came in and bought a bunch of units . Enough to get control of the board. They did not consider that they wouldn't be occupied year round. In order to cover their investment they started doing long-term rentals and the result was occupants that weren't of the highest moral caliber. We fortunately sold before it got too bad.

That is probably 10 years ago. I will be very interested to hear what it is like now. We really enjoyed it when we owned it.And what old guy said....I could use a studio ski week and get anything I wanted

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
The new management company is pretty great. It's the same management we have at Twin Rivers and Pines at Meadow Ridge. I would be fine with an exchange there.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
We owned a quartershare at inn of Silvercreek for a number of years. It wasn't fancy. Rustic is a good description. There were some management problems. A couple came in and bought a bunch of units . Enough to get control of the board. They did not consider that they wouldn't be occupied year round. In order to cover their investment they started doing long-term rentals and the result was occupants that weren't of the highest moral caliber. We fortunately sold before it got too bad.

That is probably 10 years ago. I will be very interested to hear what it is like now. We really enjoyed it when we owned it.And what old guy said....I could use a studio ski week and get anything I wanted

More than I wanted to say.

;)

As I have reported, probably without mentioning the resort, they finally agreed to allow deedbacks, and we did the last of our three weeks last months. As part of that, I found out they have combined into full ownership condos some of what they have taken back, and have sold them to ease their financial strain.

We owned there since '92.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We had an exchange in Lehigh Acres over New Years afew years ago. We were not impressed driving into the resort which is located in back of a vacant gas station.
We were pleasantly surprised when we got to our timeshare was a very nice one bedroom unit. With a golf course on property. Not that far from Ft. Myers where other timeshares and golf course were more expensive and crowded.
We were able to get an exchange for October 2019 this time a two bedroom unit.
Looking forward to going back to this hidden Gem. I wrote a review on TUG

Silentg

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
There are many diamonds in the rough out there. I have some of my favorites, nothing extravagant, few amenities, smaller but clean, friendly and in great areas. I remember a thread that we all listed our favorites.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Wow!

Inn@SilverCreek

Lehigh Resort Club . . . don't even have to look; it's RCI Resort 0101.

I think Sherman put me in the Wayback Machine!

:cool:

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Wow!

Inn@SilverCreek

Lehigh Resort Club . . . don't even have to look; it's RCI Resort 0101.

I think Sherman put me in the Wayback Machine!

:cool:

It's funny how things evolve.

When we first started trading (1990), of course everything was proprietary and we could only get what a Guide said we could get. What we got was the Lehigh Resort Club, Kimberling Inn, Inn@SilverCreek, type places. Resorts where we owned or traded into were generally badmouthed as being inferior, not even trades for people with the better timeshares.

Then came RCI.com, and we could actually see all that was available, and we discovered a whole new world of better resorts. We did things like trading into a 3-bedroom at OLCC Christmas week, Club Regency in Snowbird Season, EVR at Poipu (as it was called back then), et al.

Then came faux points, and all that ended.

Then came the fancy Schmancy, corporate-controlled mega-resort mini-systems that everyone became so fond of.

Then we aged and had a change of lifestyle, so, like was always suggested, bought where we like to go, and we go there all Winter.

Now the places we frequented before we knew there was something better are diamonds in the rough, and we even bought a week at one that has been the criticized here, for year-round amenities rights, and love it more than anything we have done in timesharing.

go figure

It reminds me of a customer service sign I once saw:

If we don't meet your expectations, lower them.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
I’m not sure...did you like Lehigh Acres?
We do and are going back in October.
We don’t own there don’t want to we have had offers to purchase.
Nice place to visit but don’t need another maintenance fee.
Silentg

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
I’m not sure...did you like Lehigh Acres?

Probably more than anyone needs to know . . . .

Before RCI.com, when we had to rely on RCI Guides, in other words, prior to 1996 (1996 RCI.com is launched), we would trade into LRC for at least two weeks in January, because that's the only thing the Guides ever said was available. At that time, it was situated behind, but not as a part of, a 1950's era vintage-Holiday-Inn-style golf resort named the Admiral Lehigh Golf Resort and Spa. Check-in for LRC was at the office for the Admiral Lehigh.

We were tickled to get it, to be able to use our timeshares near a location where we did business . . . we did a show at the Lee Civic Center, so would go to Lehigh after the previous show, and stay two weeks.

This was located m/l across from the main office for the Lehigh Development Corporation, a land sales scheme where people had the option of buying one of 152,000 residential lots platted out in the area, or, later on, a week at the Lehigh Resort Club (1982, I believe).

Despite the early consumer enthusiasm and rapid sales of land, no one on the original development team had actually expected people to move to Lehigh.

http://www.dreamsforsalemovie.com/about-lehigh-acres.html

Originally LRC owned the building adjacent to the little lake, and it was the activities center. I would put down my drivers licensed and take a small boat, or paddleboat, whatever was available out on the lake, and catch HUGE bass, sometimes turning the hems and haws of guys on the tee box into "Holy ---t! Did you see that bass!!!???", I suspect because OMG had not been discovered yet.

See the lake?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/L...x5b70824dd3aa2c4a!8m2!3d26.60944!4d-81.605702

There was an English bloke named Brian there, who served as Activities Director, and there were beaucoup planned activities. . . golf, swimming, the 30-mile ride/outing to the beach, cook-out, games, etc. I went with the group to play golf at Mirror Lakes, and we normally had a half-dozen foursomes, and prizes like RCI bonus weeks. Brian also handled sales and resales. He kept it busy and fun.

Then, in 1992, Lehigh Acres was declared to be blighted, the American dream getting a bit fuzzy.

When we returned one year, the only thing out front along the road was a car wash. The Admiral Lehigh Golf Resort and Spa had been bulldozed, LRC no longer owned the activities center building, so the lake was off limits, and the golf course had gone under. The last year we stayed there, we had a studio on the ground level, and in the middle of the night our bedroom window exploded, showering us with glass while we slept.

Lee County had bought the golf course, and was starting to develop it as a County park, but the remnants of the golf was still there, thus the tee marker getting thrown through our window.

Then it got worse.

In the boom days leading up to the bust of 2009, Lehigh Acres became the last affordable housing in SW Florida, low(er) priced housing started to fill in the 152,000 vacant lots, and Lehigh Acres became at the same time more economically developed (more businesses), and economically depressed. During the foreclosure bust, Lehigh Acres was ground zero.

Today it is even more economically depressed and crime-ridden, and Lee County is trying to do something about it.

Relating to timeshares, and RCI, as I said, when we began it was the only thing we could get in SW FL in Snowbird Season. Then, at the peak, through RCI.com, I would have the choice of as many as 18 resorts in Snowbird Season. Nowit's come full circle. If there is ever anything available through RCI, it's LRC. There is so little available any more in Snowbird Season in SW Florida that a few years back RCI moved LRC from "Inland" to Southern Gulf Coast, so it would look like they have something on the coast there.

There are others here who know this history.

Friends who used to stay with us in the 90s still come down to visit us in the Winter, and a few years back we detoured over to Lehigh and drove through. That will probably be the last time for us.

Last edited:

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
Probably more than anyone needs to know . . . .

Before RCI.com, when we had to rely on RCI Guides, in other words, prior to 1996 (1996 RCI.com is launched), we would trade into LRC for at least two weeks in January, because that's the only thing the Guides ever said was available. At that time, it was situated behind, but not as a part of, a 1950's era vintage-Holiday-Inn-style golf resort named the Admiral Lehigh Golf Resort and Spa. Check-in for LRC was at the office for the Admiral Lehigh.

We were tickled to get it, to be able to use our timeshares near a location where we did business . . . we did a show at the Lee Civic Center, so would go to Lehigh after the previous show, and stay two weeks.

This was located m/l across from the main office for the Lehigh Sales Corporation, a 1970's land sales scheme where people had the option of buying one of 152,000 residential lots platted out in the area, or, later on, a week at the Lehigh Resort Club (1982, I believe).

Originally LRC owned the building adjacent to the little lake, and it was the activities center. I would put down my drivers licensed and take a small boat, or paddleboat, whatever was available out on the lake, and catch HUGE bass, sometimes turning the hems and haws of guys on the tee box into "Holy ---t! Did you see that bass!!!???", I suspect because OMG had not been discovered yet.

See the lake?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/L...x5b70824dd3aa2c4a!8m2!3d26.60944!4d-81.605702

There was an English bloke named Brian there, who served as Activities Director, and there were beaucoup planned activities. . . golf, swimming, the 30-minute ride/outing to the beach, cook-out, games, etc. I went with the group to play golf at Mirror Lakes, and we normally had a half-dozen foursomes, and prizes like RCI bonus weeks. Brian also handled sales and resales. He kept it busy and fun.

Then, in 1992, Lehigh Acres was declared to be blighted.

When we returned one year, the only thing out front along the road was a car wash. The Admiral Lehigh Golf Resort and Spa had been bulldozed, LRC no longer owned the activities center building, so the lake was off limits, and the golf course had gone under. The last year we stayed there, we had a studio on the ground level, and in the middle of the night our bedroom window exploded, showering us with glass while we slept.

Lee County had bought the golf course, and was starting to develop it as a County park, but the remnants of the golf was still there, thus the tee marker getting thrown through our window.

Then it got worse. In the boom days leading up to the bust of 2009, Lehigh Acres became the last affordable housing in SW Florida, low(er) priced housing started to fill in the 152,000 vacant lots, and Lehigh Acres became at the same time more economically developed (more businesses), and economically depressed. During the foreclosure bust, Lehigh Acres was ground zero.

Today it is even more economically depressed and crime-ridden, and Lee County is trying to do something about it.

Relating to timeshares, and RCI, as I said, when we began it was the only thing we could get in SW FL in Snowbird Season. Then, at the peak, through RCI.com, I would have the choice of as many as 18 resorts in Snowbird Season. Now, if there is ever anything available through RCI, it's LRC. There is so little available any more in Snowbird Season in SW Florida that a few years back RCI dropped moved LRC from "Inland" to Southern Gulf Coast, so it would look like they have something on the coast there.

there are others here, on TUG, who know this history.

Friends who used to stay with us in the 90s still come down to visit us in the Winter, and a few years back we detoured over to Lehigh and drive through. That will probably be the last time for us.
Yes, we know about the demise of Lehigh Acres. The resort is being kept up, the pool was renovated a couple of years ago. And the golf course is a 9 hole. We got a two bedroom for October and look forward to going back. We had a one bedroom the first time. Have not stayed in a studio there. As long as there are beds to sleep on that aren’t Murphy or sleep sofa we are fine with accommodations. We knew going in that the resort wasn’t Gold Crown, but it is a family oriented resort. Most people were owners and seemed to know each other. We were welcomed poolside and enjoyed staying here.
I understand your disinterest, there are a few resorts we won’t go back to either.
Silentg

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
As long as there are beds to sleep on that aren’t Murphy or sleep sofa we are fine with accommodations.

Guess why I'm chuckling?

;)
- - - - - -
BTW, I just hate it when someone badmouths a resort they don't own at. It strikes me that they are saying they don't want to associate with anyone or anything that is beneath them.

There's not much that is beneath me. :cool:

I think you can tell from what I wrote that we always loved our time at LRC. We loved Bonita Resort and Club, and The Lahaina Inn, and Caribe, Englewood Beach and Yacht Club, Sea Oats Beach Club, and others like them. Our 30 years of timesharing is about diamonds in the rough.

But, now, it's a matter of safety. As long as the lead story every night on the Ft. Myers news is who got killed, or mugged, or shot, or knifed in Lehigh, we're not going there.

Last edited:

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
Guess why I'm chuckling?

;)
- - - - - -
BTW, I just hate it when someone badmouths a resort they don't own at. It strikes me that they are saying they don't want to associate with anyone or anything that is beneath them.

I think you can tell from what I wrote that we always loved our time at LRC. We loved Bonita Resort and Club, and The Lahaina Inn, and Caribe, Englewood Beach and Yacht Club, Sea Oats Beach Club, and others like them. Our 30 years of timesharing is about diamonds in the rough.

But, now, it's a matter of safety. As long as the lead story every night on the Ft. Myers news is who got killed, or mugged, or shot, or knifed in Lehigh, we're not going there.
Does this happen at the resort? We stayed in a timeshare last May in Pittsfield MA this is supposed to be the heroine capital of Massachusetts. We didn’t stray far from the resort at night and had a nice time.
We don’t look for trouble, luckily we have not been bothered at a timeshare vacation. If you listen to the news, everywhere is dangerous. We are very careful but if I worried about traveling I would not go anywhere!
Silentg

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
There used to be a lot that I thought of as beneath me. A personal crisis a couple of years ago shook my foundations pretty hard, and helped me realize that, in general, I was the problem. I've since been to a lot of Those Places, and hung around with Those People, and have discovered that they are nice people at nice places, that are worth visiting and getting to know.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
There used to be a lot that I thought of as beneath me. A personal crisis a couple of years ago shook my foundations pretty hard, and helped me realize that, in general, I was the problem. I've since been to a lot of Those Places, and hung around with Those People, and have discovered that they are nice people at nice places, that are worth visiting and getting to know.
I find at the nice smaller resorts that are not high end, the people seem to be more relaxed and friendly.

Dori

TUG Member
Reaction score
We actually liked Lehigh very much, when we exchanged into it. The pool was lovely and warm, the staff was very friendly and helpful, and they ran some fun activities. We took advantage of their Immokalee Casino give-aways. Another diamond in the rough that we liked was Brian's Spanish Cove. We stayed there twice, back in the late 90's.

Dori

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Does this happen at the resort?

Come to think of it, I don't believe I have ever heard of anyone killed, or mugged, or shot, or knifed, or assaulted, or raped, or a drug bust, or domestic abuse, or a house burnt down exactly at the resort.

The overall crime rate in Lehigh Acres is 71% higher than the national average. For every 100,000 people, there are 12.89 daily crimes that occur in Lehigh Acres . . . . In Lehigh Acres you have a 1 in 22 chance of becoming a victim of any crime.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
Come to think of it, I don't believe I have ever heard of anyone killed, or mugged, or shot, or knifed, or assaulted, or raped, or a drug bust, or domestic abuse, or a house burnt down exactly at the resort.

The overall crime rate in Lehigh Acres is 71% higher than the national average. For every 100,000 people, there are 12.89 daily crimes that occur in Lehigh Acres . . . . In Lehigh Acres you have a 1 in 22 chance of becoming a victim of any crime.
I’m not taking your posts lightly, thank you for your concern. I’m not going to panic either!

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Another diamond in the rough that we liked was Brian's Spanish Cove. We stayed there twice, back in the late 90's.

Dori

Orlando has a lot of rough, diamondy places.

:D