• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Amex Hilton Aspire

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I spent January at Kingsland and spend a decent amount for food there. I checked out Monday and today the Aspire card refunded me $250, so in my case the card was a no-brainer.

We just stayed at Kohala Suites (which is on the list). Charges just posted. However, it posted as "HILTON GV CLB WAIKOLWAIKOLOA HI" by one indication and "HGV BAY CL/WAIKOLOA" by another. Bay Club is not on the list. Maybe all charges there post as Bay Club? Has anyone stayed at Kohala and gotten the Aspire Resort Credit without having the call and "deal with it?"

Cheers.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
If not, the resort credit works for MF at Vegas resorts (but not NYC).

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I am considering this card, but I think at best it will be a wash for the fee.

I am going to Fiji in September. Wondering what Diamond status would offer at the Hilton Fiji resort and spa? I am using points for my stay, but want to know if Diamond status might offer a better room upgrade. I could also make use the the $250 resort credit.

I don't need status on AA as I have lifetime, but I live in Houston now and don't have status on UA. (I matched a few years back and am not eligible again yet for another year). I have some flights coming up that UA offers direct that AA does not, so could be used for incidentals. Does reimbursement include Economy Plus seating as a reimbursed item. Baggage fee obviously with be useful.

So at a wash I will spend $450 and get back about the same $450 in credits. Unless I score a decent upgrade, and then there are still the bonus points to take into consideration along with a free night.

Any thoughts?

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually, you can get $500 back ($350 + $250) so you can come out 50 bucks ahead.

Cheers.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Actually, you can get $500 back ($350 + $250) so you can come out 50 bucks ahead.

Cheers.

Yes but the extra $100 is for WA or Conrad. So I don't think I am planning a stay at any one of those in the next year.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry, type on my part. It was $250 (resort) + $250 (ariline) so $500 versus $450 card cost.

Cheers.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Yes but the extra $100 is for WA or Conrad. So I don't think I am planning a stay at any one of those in the next year.

I have the Aspire and have been pleased with the upgrades so far. It's pretty easy to wipe out that annual fee with the resort credit and I use the airline credit to buy a Southwest gift card.

I'm lifetime Gold on United and currently Gold on Alaska so the airline credit isn't that valuable to me. I'd rather have the $250 gift card.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm lifetime Gold on United and currently Gold on Alaska so the airline credit isn't that valuable to me. I'd rather have the $250 gift card.

FYI, the airline credit will kick in on AS tickets under $100. And this applies even if the ticket is cancelled within 24 hours for full refund :)

Cheers.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
FYI, the airline credit will kick in on AS tickets under $100. And this applies even if the ticket is cancelled within 24 hours for full refund :)

Cheers.

That’s good however I don’t fly many Alaska flights under $100. It’s usually either Hawaii or Orlando.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
That’s good however I don’t fly many Alaska flights under $100. It’s usually either Hawaii or Orlando.

We also take them to Hawaii and Orlando. We also do Pacific Northwest, and those can be under $100.

Cheers.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I am considering this card, but I think at best it will be a wash for the fee.

I am going to Fiji in September. Wondering what Diamond status would offer at the Hilton Fiji resort and spa? I am using points for my stay, but want to know if Diamond status might offer a better room upgrade. I could also make use the the $250 resort credit.

I don't need status on AA as I have lifetime, but I live in Houston now and don't have status on UA. (I matched a few years back and am not eligible again yet for another year). I have some flights coming up that UA offers direct that AA does not, so could be used for incidentals. Does reimbursement include Economy Plus seating as a reimbursed item. Baggage fee obviously with be useful.

So at a wash I will spend $450 and get back about the same $450 in credits. Unless I score a decent upgrade, and then there are still the bonus points to take into consideration along with a free night.

Any thoughts?
Like the aspire so much that wife and I both have it. We easily use the $250 United Airline credit for food, drinks and lie flat seats. Yes the E+ upgrade should trigger the $250 credit. We stay in Waikiki and have to pay the TAT every year so the Hilton $250 is used for that. For us we are actually saving $50 a year apiece since it is money we would have spent. Then the diamond status, priority pass access, free weekend night and bonus HH points for paying our HGVC dues make it a very rewarding card for us.

Just disappointed that we will not be able to use priority pass for restaurant credits after Auguat 19. Used this quiet often at SFO and IAH for free meals on layovers. Now will have to get the Chase Sapphire Reserve card in September.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Like the aspire so much that wife and I both have it. We easily use the $250 United Airline credit for food, drinks and lie flat seats. Yes the E+ upgrade should trigger the $250 credit. We stay in Waikiki and have to pay the TAT every year so the Hilton $250 is used for that. For us we are actually saving $50 a year apiece since it is money we would have spent. Then the diamond status, priority pass access, free weekend night and bonus HH points for paying our HGVC dues make it a very rewarding card for us.

mrs. brp had it, so we already had Diamond. I got it for the $50 savings. No other benefits that I don't have elsewhere...and double diamond only matters in skiing.

Just disappointed that we will not be able to use priority pass for restaurant credits after Auguat 19. Used this quiet often at SFO and IAH for free meals on layovers. Now will have to get the Chase Sapphire Reserve card in September.

Also the free night. So we come out way ahead. Can easily get at least $300 out of this.

Yeah, saw this on my travel blog (and it's Aug 1, from what I read). I already had Chase Sapphire and my Priority Pass is through them.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
mrs. brp had it, so we already had Diamond. I got it for the $50 savings. No other benefits that I don't have elsewhere...and double diamond only matters in skiing.

Yeah, saw this on my travel blog (and it's Aug 1, from what I read). I already had Chase Sapphire and my Priority Pass is through them.
I agree if you won't use two aspire cards no sense in getting it. We easily spend $500 staying at the Hilton's in Waikiki paying the transient accommodations tax every year. For us the Hilton and airfare credits are a sunk cost. Like you we are getting the cards for the $100 savings.

Yes PP restaurant credit is no longer being offer in August this year. Will have to get CSR in Sept to have PP restaurant access for our late Oct trip. Just find it crazy for me to be paying for four $450 AF for myself. Pay for Bonvoy Brilliant, HH Aspire and United Club card already and will be adding the CSR. I say, as long as you can save money paying those annual fees, get the card.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Wondering what Diamond status would offer
Don't underestimate the value of Diamond status. I got two free bottles of water at the Embassy Suites this week due to my Diamond status! :banana:

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree if you won't use two aspire cards no sense in getting it. We easily spend $500 staying at the Hilton's in Waikiki paying the transient accommodations tax every year. For us the Hilton and airfare credits are a sunk cost. Like you we are getting the cards for the $100 savings.

We're really getting more like $700 in savings between us - $500 for the airfare credits, $500 for the Resort credit and maybe $600 for the free nights. So about $1600 - $900 (card fee).

Once I hit the $4K spend for the 150K HH points, this card goes in the drawer and I will use it for the airfare credits each year and the Resort Fee. Then spending goes on Chase.

Yes PP restaurant credit is no longer being offer in August this year. Will have to get CSR in Sept to have PP restaurant access for our late Oct trip. Just find it crazy for me to be paying for four $450 AF for myself. Pay for Bonvoy Brilliant, HH Aspire and United Club card already and will be adding the CSR. I say, as long as you can save money paying those annual fees, get the card.

I've got 4 high-cost cards as well:
HH Aspire
Bonvoy Brilliant
Chase Sapphire Reserve
Amex Platinum ($550)

Also lower-priced ($95) cards:

Bonvoy Visa (free night)
Hyatt Visa (free night)

So, I'm paying $2090 in card fees, but I get it all pretty much back.

mrs. brp has the Aspire plus a $95 Hyatt card.

She gets Hyatt mid-tier status, I get Bonvoy mid-tier and we get Diamond. So we have hotels covered.

Airlines we have to do by flying :)

Cheers.

Last edited:

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't underestimate the value of Diamond status. I got two free bottles of water at the Embassy Suites this week due to my Diamond status! :banana:

Depends on where you go. We don't typically drink bottled water due to the waste, so that's not a benefit to us.

We get Executive Club access even if not on the Exec floor (and often enough there are more desirable floors) and we've gotten some very nice room upgrades that would have been unlikely as Gold. Plus early check-in without the usual fee.

Also, since they pay us $100 to have Diamond, seems a no-brainer :)

Cheers.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place

I understand your dismay about only getting 2 free bottles of water at Embassy Suites for Diamond Status, however, their value could vary. I believe you can get inexpensive bottles of water at the ABC store for about $1 each. However, my husband and I walked along the boardwalk from the HGVC South Beach one day and were thirsty so we stopped at a Hotel up around 40th street and wanted to get a couple of bottles of water. They wanted $8 each! We found a little store a few blocks away for much less but not as inexpensive as the ABC stores.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
In addition to the $250 Resort Credit, the $250 Airline Credit, and the Free Weekend Night I find the 14HH points for Hilton expenditures particularly valuable. I value it at about $.35/$1 of spending.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
We're really getting more like $700 in savings between us - $500 for the airfare credits, $500 for the Resort credit and maybe $600 for the free nights. So about $1600 - $900 (card fee).

Once I hit the $4K spend for the 150K HH points, this card goes in the drawer and I will use it for the airfare credits each year and the Resort Fee. Then spending goes on Chase.

I've got 4 high-cost cards as well:
HH Aspire
Bonvoy Brilliant
Chase Sapphire Reserve
Amex Platinum ($550)

Also lower-priced ($95) cards:

Bonvoy Visa (free night)
Hyatt Visa (free night)

So, I'm paying $2090 in card fees, but I get it all pretty much back.

mrs. brp has the Aspire plus a $95 Hyatt card.

She gets Hyatt mid-tier status, I get Bonvoy mid-tier and we get Diamond. So we have hotels covered.

Airlines we have to do by flying :)

Cheers.

I’ve got three high cost cards currently.

Aspire, Citi Prestige and Sapphire Reserve.

Citi has changed the benefits enough to where I will dump it next year.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
In addition to the $250 Resort Credit, the $250 Airline Credit, and the Free Weekend Night I find the 14HH points for Hilton expenditures particularly valuable. I value it at about $.35/$1 of spending.
That's the principle reason I got the card, the points per $. Since I go to the Hilton Hawaiian Village every year, the $250 resort credit always gets used. And I travel a fair amount and ALL Hilton stays (which is almost all stays) are put on the card.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I value it at about $.35/$1 of spending.

I don't understand this valuation metric. Travel points (hotel or airline) are typically valued at cents/point. I don't understand the meaning of the dollars/dollar valuation here.

HHonors points are typically valued at about 0.5-0.6 cents/point in terms of the value of the room that they can get. So, 14 points/dollar would amount to about 7-8.4 cents in value per dollar spent.

If you're using this same basic metric, then saying that the 14 points/dollar is worth 35 cents doesn't add up. Let's look at an 80K room. At 14 points/dollar, that would take $5700 in spend. Let's say that this is even as much as a $500 room (but typically less), then that's about 8.75 cents per dollar of spend, and that's at the high end.

Cheers.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wow, you are right. I guess getting to be 70 does throws off your Math or Memory or a Different Number for a Different Calculation. I value the charges at Hiltons at about $.07/$1.00 as you mentioned unless you use them in 5 day increments when I agree with your $.084/$1.00.

Now to show that I totally lost it, I will tell you where the 35 comes from. Using cash if you charge your hotel room to your Hilton Aspire Card you get 34 points/dollar!! 14 points/dollar for using your card and 20 points/dollar for being Diamond.

Remy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations Club on the Boulevard, Hyatt Residence Club Wild Oak Ranch
I’m going to pull the trigger on this card closer to end of year. The resort fee is reimbursed with my MF and airline fee credits can be turned into cash. It’s a $50 net positive with free Diamond status and a free night. I’m Gold this year but definitely won’t requalify for 2020, making Diamond worth at least free breakfasts. AmEx Offers also help make this card worth having. The last year with the AmEx Blue Business Plus has earned me about $260 in statement credits without much effort on things I was buying anyway.

As far as the value of points, I’m saving for a specific redemption that makes points “worth” about 1.7 cents each. Value is relative, but it’s somewhere I want to go and that makes earning Hilton points worth it for this particular destination. Then I’ll go earn somewhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I’m going to pull the trigger on this card closer to end of year. The resort fee is reimbursed with my MF and airline fee credits can be turned into cash. It’s a $50 net positive with free Diamond status and a free night. I’m Gold this year but definitely won’t requalify for 2020, making Diamond worth at least free breakfasts. AmEx Offers also help make this card worth having. The last year with the AmEx Blue Business Plus has earned me about $260 in statement credits without much effort on things I was buying anyway.

As far as the value of points, I’m saving for a specific redemption that makes points “worth” about 1.7 cents each. Value is relative, but it’s somewhere I want to go and that makes earning Hilton points worth it for this particular destination. Then I’ll go earn somewhere else.

Remy I agree with your first statement, but I am not understanding the second paragraph. Please explain.

Remy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations Club on the Boulevard, Hyatt Residence Club Wild Oak Ranch
Remy I agree with your first statement, but I am not understanding the second paragraph. Please explain.

A lot of folks assign a value to points, and in the case of Hilton points it’s in the half cent area. Which can be true if that’s how one chooses to redeem them. But there are properties, with the fifth night free, where one can get an outsize value. 34 points per dollar on Hilton spend can be very lucrative if you have a specific redemption in mind. I’m planning 11 nights at the new Waldorf Maldives. After I book that I’ll likely not earn Hilton points on purpose until I have another valuable redemption in the works. Because, as others have noted, at most properties Hilton points aren’t very valuable.