• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How do you pack for a vacation?

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
We're heading off soon on a two week, three-location trip. Today is the day I'm packing most things into my suitcase. And now I'm curious as to how other people pack. How do you do it?

I've found my preferred suitcase still has a lot of things left over from my last trip with it, and I'm deciding how much of it I want to take. I used to think I needed every little thing I hauled with me, just in case this or that situation came up. But a lot of this stuff I haven't used in several trips. Some of it I've never used. Do I really need to take it?

Do you leave a bunch of "must take with me no matter what" miscellaneous items in the suitcase, or do you clean it out and start from scratch every time? I don't mean clothing, I mean the rest of the stuff we first-world travelers think we need.

What about the suitcase itself? Do you lay everything out you know you'll want to take, and then decide which suitcase to use, or do you always take your tried-and-true favorite every time? What about a carry-on? We'll be on three flights and a cruise ship this time - so having the right carry-on is important, but how much is enough?

What about time? When do you start packing? Is it months before, a few days before, or the day of the trip? Do you worry about whether you left something important at home? I've had a growing pile of "I think I want to take this along," but I'm thinking of starting over with just a toothbrush, and seeing what develops from there. ;)

I know some folks are super-experienced with packing light, and others take everything but the kitchen sink. I think I need some new habits. How do you do it?

Dave

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
Like I tell my family and friends... for someone who LOVES to travel, I really don't like packing.

I've always put it off until the day (sometimes late night) before. But my last trip, I had a full schedule the week leading up to the departure date, so I packed a week early. It was an amazing feeling when it was done and the main suitcase was locked. I'm gonna try that from now on.

As for leaving things packed, I do have my travel toiletry bag and a few other things that remain in the suitcase (phone chargers, travel-sized clothes steamer, small pop-up laundry hamper, plastic bags with laundry pods and dryer sheets.) Consumables are refilled when I unpack back at home so they're ready for the next trip.

Depending on where I'm traveling, some things get left home and purchased at the destination. But if traveling out of the country or some place I'm not familiar with I don't want to risk not being to find stuff easily, so I take more with me.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We each have hanging toiletries bags that are never unpacked, just replenished as necessary. I have an electronics pack with chargers, USB cables, a triple tap (outlet multiplier) etc. I carry this, because DW carries more shoes than I do.
Clothing: depending on expected weather, everything goes together. Everything MUST be able to wear with everything else. Back to shoes. One pair of good, supportive walking shoes. Some flip-flops that can double as slippers. I use only nylon Duluth Trading 'Buck Naked' undies, 3-4 pairs and synthetic socks, same quantity. They rinse out in the sink and dry overnight. I take a pair of khaki slacks and a long sleeve shirt (no iron) or two for dinner on the ship. 2 pr. shorts. 1 or 2 casual pants. i am in love with the 'performance polo's' from Costco. Take several, they take no room or care. I do plan on doing some laundry instead of carrying more clothes. The cruise will have a 'fill a bag' laundry special for about $25. Use it.

Jim

P.S. Remember: NOBODY goes on vacation to see what YOU look like.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
We take carry-ons only, even for a long trip. If I get somewhere and find that I need something else, I buy it.

It's liberating!

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I travel to very different types of location. Packing is always a challenge. If I were a petite 5'0" gal, packing would be easier. However I am 6'0" tall and living large. I have size 12 shoes. Try packing even a single extra pair of shoes and it feels like half your suitcase is gone. So I do have some packing challenges.

I do have packing lists on spreadsheets, so that I have what a list for what I usually bring. e.g. A list for Canada in winter. A list for a Tradewinds Sailing trip. A list for Hawaii. etc.

I know a lot of people who like the packing cubes. I prefer the space bags (not the ones that you need a vacuum but the ones that you can roll to force the air out). I like them, especially for sailing as it makes packing and unpacking easier. And if customs or TSA opens your bags your stuff is not all over the place. Plus as you have dirty clothes you can put them into the space bag as you go. So essentially you are nearly packed when you leave.

If I didn't travel with my scuba and snorkel gear to beach and sailing destinations, then I might get away with carry on, but traveling to Canada in the winter, never going to be carry on situation.

I always leave the packing to the last few hours before I go to the airport, but with the packing lists I have I have reminders of what to remember.

I too have hanging toiletries they are always packed, and I have various mesh bags with many my electronics in them. Those items I usually will arrange and finalize a day or two before. Easier to keep them packed and under control. I use this mesh bags all the time. I like the Vaultz brand, as they come with a clip and I can bring a few and clip them onto a carabiner and hook into into the one in my back pack.

Last edited:

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
We can go for a month to Europe with a rollaboard and a personal item each. That is accomplished by hours of careful packing and repacking, and making sure all the tops and bottoms are coordinated and everything works with everything else. For a car trip everything except the kitchen sink goes with us and I come back with 1/2 my clothes never worn. I have to pack for two because when I don't Cliff comes up missing pajamas (Yosemite), a dress shirt (Mission Inn at New Years), any shirt other than the one on his back (Sants Fe), a jacket (cruise leaving out of San Francisco).

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
Depends if washer avail. We pack basics that can mix/match. Basic toiletries in travel containers. hiking shoes, lightweight sneakers, black flats, flip flops/sandals. If extra space heels.
The big space splurge is the hikers, but I just walked 12miles at Disney in them one day-same for Europe last year. Saved my feet, legs, back. Worth the space.
I start packing the week prior. I dump items for trip from laundry in suitcase then pull out 2 days prior and reevaluate.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I clean out my suitcase between trips, because I don't always take the same one. However, my toiletries bag stays packed. There are only a few things I need to bring from home (toothpaste and meds, which go into my backpack). I used to have to remember to put things like a brush and comb in, but since I had to replace everything on our trip last year, now all of those extras can just stay in the toiletries bag.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
As long as we aren't getting on an airplane, in which case I have to dump the toiletries out to look for errant liquids, toiletries bag is always ready to go except for my nightguard. I try to replenish anything that was getting low as soon as we get home so that it's ready to go for the next trip.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I loved to travel, but packing clothes for vacation I disliked. I always over pack. I have a carry on bag for cloths, meds and a garment bag for shirts & pants. However, my toiletries stays in my carry on bag; with my electric toothbrush & razor ? I also, have a small red bag for extra trash bags, washing and dishwashing liquid, salt & pepper, seasoning tins, sugar free syrup, mustard, cloth pins, etc.,.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
We unpack every time and usually start packing’ the week we leave for the trip.
I really don’t mind a checked bag. It’s dropped off as soon as we get to the airport and it’s often on the claim carousel by the time we get down there.

It gives us some variety in the clothes we wear and doing laundry is more like the patterns we have while we are home.

Once you learn to get used to not having absolutely everything, it won’t other you. At worst, just buy it you needs to.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
This is a P.S. to my earlier post.

I always checked my luggage. I really dislike lugging it through the airport (even a small roller bag). If I'm traveling alone it means I need to take everything with me to the restroom. If I have more than one leg it means I'm lugging it through multiple airports.

I always make a list for packing. I find it keeps me sane, and I can keep track of what I need and what I've packed (or forgotten). The hardest trips for me to pack for are places I haven't been before, and/or trips where there will be a vast fluctuation in weather.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
We used to be campers, so we travel pretty light. I keep a general packing list on my phone and pack the night before I travel. I most likely use my favorite carry on, which I usually check, but if we have to pay for checked luggage we consolidate into a single large bag. I use compression packing cubes but my husband uses the "just throw it in" method. Both have been successful over the past few years.

I clear out the bag after each use. I never thought to leave anything in the bag as most everything that I pack is something that I use at home except for the little shampoo bottles, and those just go under the sink when we get home. I think that it makes sense to leave the compression bags in the suitcases though, so I'm going to start doing that.

I've tried packing early but I forget what I've packed so I'm constantly rechecking which kind of defeats the purpose.

JudyH

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am in France now for a month. First, we crosspack in cubes for the flight over in case a suitcase gets lost. Then we reorganize.
This trip is hard cause of weather. Shoes— one pair athletic shoes, one pair waterproof gortex walking shoes,one pair flat dinner shoes, and flip flops for inside.
There has been a lot of rain and it is cold. So borrowed a heavier rain jacket and bought a heavy fleece.
Therefore not wearing the lightweight pants and tee shirts I brought or the lightweight jacket. Glad I brought two pair heavy pants and leggings for under light weight pants. Usually everything is black but added some navy blue for a change.
We each have a 26 inch rolling duffle with packing cubes, my backpack with a
lot of camera gear, his carry on with meds, toiletry bags, and electronics. We either do laundry or get the heavier things washed.
I find I take more clothes on a group cruise or trip than if we just go on our own. On our own we don’t do fancy dinners so no need for dress clothes.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We did Europe for five weeks with carry-ons only. New Zealand for ten days, same. Love the space bags. I keep toiletry and makeup kits packed, and my "Mary Poppins" purse/cross body day bag packed with a few essentials/duplicates from my everyday, at-home purse. I have a car toiletries bag, as well as a 3-1-1 plus non-liquid tolietries bags for plane trips. Same for makeup (one for plane, another for car.) I have a pile of "travel stuff" (where the space bags live,) which is where I can also grab converters, and a smaller (think passport, phone, money, lip balm only) cross body if I think I need them for that trip.

My assumption is always--rolling carry-on, plus either just the Mary Poppins bag OR a LLBean boat and tote which I can throw over my shoulder as a personal item (into which the Mary Poppins bag, and quite a bit of other stuff can go.) I start by creating a packing list about a week or so out, then pulling what specific clothing items I think I will want a few days in advance--esp. if I won't be doing laundry again before packing--and then throwing everything together either the night before or the day of (depending on when I'm leaving.) I'm pretty good about packing light, and always feel proud if I use all the shoes I bring, and at least 80% of the clothes. :)

Last edited:

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
I create a packing list starting few weeks in advance, especially if I think I may need to pick up a new clothing item or two. I start with a previous list and edit based on how that trip worked for me. I keep my toiletry kit and some other small items I usually need in a small bin in my closet because I don't always use the same suitcase.

My recent addition was to purchase some packing cubes and I was pleased with how well they worked on a recent trip where we changed hotels six times. It was great to be able to find what I needed quickly without disrupting the whole bag and repack easily. I probably wouldn't bother with those for a timeshare week where we unpack once but they made the multi destination trip much easier.

I also did this trip with a carry on and back pack (as my personal item) only. It was a first for us and I was surprised at how much I could actually fit. I had purchased several tops and pants that dried overnight and didn't need ironing and found I didn't miss having more clothes, even though one of the women on our tour had brought 14 pairs of shoes! We made a trip a year ago traveling by train between Berlin, Prague and Budapest using larger checked suitcases and it was a pain lugging them up and down steps at every train and public transit station, so I decided to try a trip with carry on only. Now that I’ve discovered it works for me I need to be on the lookout for more items of clothing that fit the hand wash and hang laundry style. I have a friend who travels with carry on only and her trick is to have several pants and shirts that she saves for travel only because they wash so well.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
I also use packing cubes (love these!) and those roll up space saver bags to keep my suitcase and travel life in order. Problem with the space bags is they allow you more room in the suitcase, so then you add more stuff and have to be careful not to go over the weight limit when flying!

On trips where I actually unpack my suitcase, the packing cubes go straight to the dresser drawers and I live out of them.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I pack as little as possible as in the past I learned I never used most of what I packed. I also acquired clothing that takes little space. If I forgot something or need something I buy it.

Simplicity in packing makes my vacations much more enjoyable, quick to pack, quick to unpack. Takes some practice.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
We traveled to Italy and England for 21 days with just one 20" wheeled carry-on and one tote bag, that fit over the handle, for each of us. In addition, I took a 13" backpack. We had 2 black tie events which were challenging but since we weren't seeing the same people, we could wear the same to both. We were able to do the same with everything as we changed locations every three days. By train. That part was tough as many of the train stations did not have elevators and we had to use stairs to go under tracks and back up to platforms and lift our luggage up onto the train before climbing aboard. That part I could not do again as I've had shoulder injuries since and I've admitted that I'm just too old for that kind of travel. The weather is often a bit unknown, so we take layers. I rarely travel anywhere, any time of year, without Smartwool's base layers...a pair of their light weight "long johns" and an under-garment vest...if just to wear to bed in a cold hotel room or to restaurants which tend to be chilly.

I pack with a combination of packing cubes and vacuum bags. I lay out everything I think I want to take and then I get sensible (forget white...I'm a klutz) and take away and away. I pack only black and navy slacks, a little black dress, black and navy shoes and add various colors and weights of tops, scarves, jewelry and a coat. A swimsuit and coverup if appropriate. Sweaters and knits go in the vacuum bags but I have found that they don't seem to reseal or work well when repacked a couple of times. My suitcase always has extra zip lock bags and a couple of trash sized bags in it. Converters, extension outlets with USB ports, clothes line, shower caddy, magnetic hooks (when on a cruise ship) and general toiletries in travel size stay packed as do other "just in case" items. My wallet, passport, sunglasses, pen, black and yellow Sharpies, jewelry, meds, tooth brush & paste, make-up, minimum skin care items, bandaids, alcohol pads, wet wipes, iPad, iPhone, airPods, chargers including a wireless one, one change of clothes (when checking other luggage) and snacks go in my backpack. I'm getting better every time we travel though long cruises, I always seem to over pack for.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We pack a little differently for our home resort timeshares than we do for a fly to vacation. For the timeshares, we have 2 boxes (copy paper size)- one for kitchen things and one for toiletries- that are always packed and I keep inventory on them and restock them immediately with what is used up when we get home. For clothes, I use my carry on but my husband likes to use a large wheel duffel bag. We also have some canvas bags that we put stuff in- extra shoes, beach towels and bathing suits (always prepacked), and food. We take a small cooler also. We throw jackets and camp chairs and walking sticks and bike helmets and so on in the car. I love drive to vacations! We have laundry facilities also, so that helps.

Now for flying- we generally take only take carryons. One exception was when we went to Yellowstone, we wanted to take a collapsible cooler with us to put cold food into when we arrived in Bozeman, MT. There were 3 of us so we took the large wheel duffel bag and put the cooler inside it and then we all put some extra things in the duffel bag and checked it. And we all had carryons as well.

Another exception was when we went to Alaska and needed a lot of layers of clothes, so we took the wheeled duffel bags and checked them.

Traveling in nicer weather is a lot easier for the carry on only option as less clothes needed.

But- for the carryons I usually take out the bag and lay it on my bed. I have a packing list on my computer that I print out. I use this for all trips because generally we take the same stuff- more or less. It also lists things we need to do before the trip- like holding the mail, setting the light timers, etc.

I lay pants out on the bottom of the carryon, each one alternately hanging out one side or the other of it. Then I just fold the other things- shirts, sleepwear, bathing suit, exercise clothes, etc. neatly on top of the pants. Shoes- just 2 pairs- and slippers/sandals - I stick on the sides. Underwear and socks in the compartments. Then I fold the pants over on top of the shirts and then I use the buckle to keep it all in place.

For a one or two week trip I would probably take 5 pairs of pants and 5 shirts that I can mix and match. I usually take a few extra underwear and socks.

My husband just throws stuff in his any ol' way. LOL!

We use sample sizes of the toiletries as per the airline regulations. We pick up more of what might be needed when we arrive at our destination.

I hardly have any clothes anyway so I don't have a lot of choices, yet I still agonize as to what to take. I usually stick with jeans, black pants, and t shirts. We only wear casual- real casual.

Usually we stay in places with laundry facilities, but if there are none I just rinse out things with soap and hang them to dry if needed. In Scotland I took some string and suction cups and made my own clothes line over the bathtub. LOL!

We do take a small back pack on the plane so we can stick a few items in there, too- food for the plane for one thing. And I have an even smaller back pack that is also my "Pocketbook" and I can fit a lot in it.

Then we have jackets with pockets to take on the plane- more space.

I really do hate packing as I am major OCD.

BTW- I pack the week before and then the day before I go over it again and finish up with the odds and ends- get the money ready, extra keys, whatever.

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
How do you guys keep toiletries in your carryons at all times when you can only take small sizes to begin with? Don't you run out of them after a week or so?

Do you re purchase more when you get home and just restock them in the carry on?

I know that we end up buying bigger sizes of one or two things when we get to our destination and then have to throw the rest out when we leave because they do not meet the airline criteria for carry on.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
How do you guys keep toiletries in your carryons at all times when you can only take small sizes to begin with? Don't you run out of them after a week or so?

Do you re purchase more when you get home and just restock them in the carry on?

I know that we end up buying bigger sizes of one or two things when we get to our destination and then have to throw the rest out when we leave because they do not meet the airline criteria for carry on.
In addition to running out, I have some specific brands I use and I don't want to have to go out and try to find them when I arrive at my destination.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
In addition to running out, I have some specific brands I use and I don't want to have to go out and try to find them when I arrive at my destination.

I understand. But people are saying the toiletries are always in their carryons from the last trip. They must run out I would think after one trip.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I hoard travel-sized toiletries. I have bins in my walk-in closet of shampoo, conditioner, body wash, etc. They are souvenirs from various trips. These full bins will outlive me, I'm sure. ;) I am good about replenishing the bags as needed, so they are always filled with bottles that aren't "nearly empty." I find that I can usually get through a week as long as the bottle is relatively full, and I am a master of the quart-sized Ziploc Tetris bag game, usually fitting in two bottles of shampoo if needed (for example.) If I'm traveling longer, I am usually staying a least a few nights in a hotel, and am picking up more.

PS--I do go through about every year or so and donate a bunch to homeless organizations. I'm not ready for an episode of Hoarders. ;)

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I understand. But people are saying the toiletries are always in their carryons from the last trip. They must run out I would think after one trip.
I am one who said my toiletries are always packed. What I didn't say was that I do refill things like shampoo, conditioner and a few other things.