• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

how many rentals are RCI exchanges?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Also, they do not know the view of the Aulani units on their website. So they have Aulani for rent, 2 bedrooms, but they all say Standard view. They cannot put a view.

This is so disgusting. I just know they are renting exchanges. It's obvious. So much for my RCI "Priority Access" with my platinum account. I have never gotten one of those 2 bedrooms for exchange. I would love to have one for $1,500 for my total cost. Blatant RCI exchange renters, so of course anyone with exchange requests for Aulani might as well give it up. You aren't going to get it.

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
Blatant RCI exchange renters, so of course anyone with exchange requests for Aulani might as well give it up. You aren't going to get it

I sincerely doubt RCI is in collusion with them to supply them with weeks. I would guess they are using OGS's or checking 24/7 for things to show up so technically you have the 'same' chance

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.

I sincerely doubt RCI is in collusion with them to supply them with weeks. I would guess they are using OGS's or checking 24/7 for things to show up so technically you have the 'same' chance
I don't think RCI is in collusion with them.

I cannot get what they are getting, because my OGS aren't picking those up. So all is not equal, not if they have better than priority access (Platinum). I think Welk resorts have availability we can never get. So someone is making a mint on this inventory. There could be others besides Welk.

If I can get SSR for January, three units for our kids and grandkids who want to go, I will be happy. I don't require anything more than a comfy bed and a kitchen, so I don't have to get the AKL or the Boulder Villas, or whatever they call VWL nowadays, but I do try every time to get something else. It's always SSR.

Last edited:

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Probably RCI has been turning a blind eye on this for years. I imagine this company has acquired weeks/points gradually after they saw how lucrative this scheme can be. This has not started Yesterday. Has RCI never really noticed that certain members buy every year tens of guest certificates for different people from all over the world? How many siblings, cousins and friends can one have?

If RCI thinks they cannot sever ties with a firm because they do a lot of business with it, they really do not understand the business they are in. The weeks these guys sell are in demand and they would be picked up by other members so RCI would not lose the exchange fee.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I was reading that the resorts can also get in trouble for this. They are supposed to identify when this is happening and deny the reservation. I read several stories of people who were not allowed to check in when they got caught. I am surprised DVC is not doing anything to prevent this. I would think it is not in DVC’s best interests to allow people to get in at low rates with illegal RCI exchanges.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
This might be something that SSR owners should bring to DVC’s attention. There is an annual board meeting, I think. Perhaps some SSR owners can protest and ask DVC to stop this practice. I am mentioning SSR because it happens there the most, it appears.

When people cheat and game the system, it makes me angry. It is not fair and I am angry that DVC and RCI allow this and do not monitor it.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Because Ebay requires disclosure of all fees, it is easier to spot the RCI exchanges than on Redweek. Most of the ones i clicked disclose this fee so they are RCI exchanges. I looked at the reviews of one of the sellers, they rented the 1 bedroom condos at SSR for as low as $570 per week!

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=disney+saratoga+springs&_sop=10

https://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayIS...searchInterval=30&which=positive&mPg=3&page=2

IMO, this reflects that there is more supply than demand for SSR. Let's just say many of these are acquired illegally through RCI. The fact that RCI has so much excess SSR inventory would indicate that SSR is not in as much demand as most of the other DVC resorts. I own desirable DVC resorts and it is hard for me to book into my resorts using DVC points, let alone finding my resorts on RCI.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If I were a DVC executive, I would look at improving SSR to increase demand or replacing it with a new concept when the contracts expire. This level of distressed inventory is terrible for DVC as well as SSR owners.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
IMO, this reflects that there is more supply than demand for SSR. Let's just say many of these are acquired illegally through RCI. The fact that RCI has so much excess SSR inventory would indicate that SSR is not in as much demand as most of the other DVC resorts. I own desirable DVC resorts and it is hard for me to book into my resorts using DVC points, let alone finding my resorts on RCI.
There is more available inventory at SSR because of the size. Another component of why so much SSR is available for exchange is the way DVC deposits with RCI. Lets say someone uses their BCV points for an RCI exchange. DVC does not have to deposit a BCV unit with RCI. DVC gets to pick which unit and date to give to RCI. Because of this RCI gets mostly SSR 1br units for exchanges.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
If I were a DVC executive, I would look at improving SSR to increase demand or replacing it with a new concept when the contracts expire. This level of distressed inventory is terrible for DVC as well as SSR owners.
I love SSR. I will gladly stay at SSR :D It is the largest DVC at WDW so it makes perfect sense that it is the last to fill up. I actually tried to book a week there during fall break and it was booked up. So it is not always easy to get. I think the cabins at Poly and Copper Creek, Aulani, Vero, and Hilton Head can make even SSR hard to book at times.

I am surprised RCI does not crack down on exchange rentals, though. Maybe they just don’t care about it.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
From their standpoint there isn't any need to. This is a member problem not a Disney problem. There are lots to things they could have done to increase demand up front, not much at this point. Basically anything that costs them any money is going to be off the table, same for things that have a significant impact on dues. But the reality is that the location is an issue and even had they put a real effort up front, it would have been difficult to get the demand up to that of many of the WDW resorts.

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was reading that the resorts can also get in trouble for this. They are supposed to identify when this is happening and deny the reservation. I read several stories of people who were not allowed to check in when they got caught. I am surprised DVC is not doing anything to prevent this.

This is NOT a DVC issue. (or any other resort, not the resorts job to police this) No one is breaking a DVC rule. This is a RCI rule. RCI would be the one to cancel a reservation.

I would think it is not in DVC’s best interests to allow people to get in at low rates with illegal RCI exchanges.

No one is getting in at low rates. It's an 'exchange' system. DVC members deposit their points and use something different in return. DVC chooses the week to deposit to RCI where members can exchange to the DVC week. RCI uses a points value or TPI # for that exchange. The entire process is the same each time. What an exchanger does once they get the week is up to them. They can follow the rules or not.

I have weeks/points every year that go to waste b/c I can't use them. I choose to offer them 'free' to friends and family and not try to rent them. If someone can use the week, that is really a low rate. There is no issue here.

JohnB3

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - SSR
Grandview Las Vegas (RCI Points)
Marriott - Willow Ridge
I'm not sure DVC has a dog in this hunt. RCI has a rule against renting exchanges, DVC allows rental. DVC gets a guest at the parks who pay the $190 fee and the reservations they are required to deposit are deposited and used. I own at SSR but mostly try to use my points at 7 months elsewhere. When I want to stay at SSR I use my Grandview points to do that. As Dean commented earlier RCI have a rule and they ought to try to enforce it but as an SSR owner I don't have an issue with Disney nor do I expect them to police RCI's rules

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure DVC has a dog in this hunt. RCI has a rule against renting exchanges, DVC allows rental. DVC gets a guest at the parks who pay the $190 fee and the reservations they are required to deposit are deposited and used.

Yes and no. Even if this is an RCI rule, DVC may assume (implicitly or explicitly through their contract) that RCI enforces its own rules. Why would DVC want cheap rentals on their properties? I read on ebay in the comments section for this company that people paid as little as $600 for a week.
Concerning the $190 fee, as stated before, the Disney weeks are in high demand on RCI so DVC will not lose the revenue if the rule is strictly enforced.

JohnB3

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - SSR
Grandview Las Vegas (RCI Points)
Marriott - Willow Ridge
Yes and no. Even if this is an RCI rule, DVC may assume (implicitly or explicitly through their contract) that RCI enforces its own rules. Why would DVC want cheap rentals on their properties?
Concerning the $190 fee, as stated before, the Disney weeks are in high demand on RCI so DVC will not lose the revenue if the rule is strictly enforced.
I agree that the minute it impacts Disney's ability to rent deluxe resorts at WDW it will be stopped but I dont think its hurting retail pricing due to SSR's location. Disney is required to deposit some inventory into RCI and they are systematically depositing their lowest value (SSR 1 bed) inventory. If it becomes a real issue for Disney they could switch affiliation back to II who seem to do a better job enforcing the no rental rule.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am so tired of this speculation without facts. This happens on many TUG threads, not just here. It seems that Tuggers think they understand corporate strategy. If you did, you should be a CEO by now. I am okay when people ask questions and speculate but it goes to the extreme when people could easily find answers and refuse to do so. Or they like to make up stories and present them as facts without any facts.

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
This might be something that SSR owners should bring to DVC’s attention. There is an annual board meeting, I think. Perhaps some SSR owners can protest and ask DVC to stop this practice.

If I were a DVC executive, I would look at improving SSR to increase demand or replacing it with a new concept when the contracts expire.

I am so tired of this speculation without facts. This happens on many TUG threads, not just here. It seems that Tuggers think they understand corporate strategy. If you did, you should be a CEO by now.

I am 100% in agreement with the last post!

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why would DVC want cheap rentals on their properties?

Hard to come up with an answer to your question. However, what you are referring to that they are getting now, is someone paying rent for an exchange that someone already 'paid' for.

If they shut it down (which I would like to see BTW) and follow the rules which means no rent allowed, then that means there is NO rent charge. ie: you just went from a 'cheap' rental to one even cheaper (Free)

Last edited:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hard to come up with an answer to your question. However, what you are referring to that they are getting now, is someone paying rent for an exchange that someone already 'paid' for.

If they shut it down (which I would like to see BTW) and follow the rules which means no rent allowed, then that means there is NO rent charge. ie: you just went from a 'cheap' rental to one even cheaper (Free)
Renting is within the rules, it's a contractual right. Renting an exchange is against RCI's rules unless it's just for direct expenses. One of my life motto's is "Someone else's gain is not automatically one's loss" and it would seem to apply on this topic.

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
Renting is within the rules, it's a contractual right. Renting an exchange is against RCI's rules unless it's just for direct expenses

Thanks for clarifying this for those not reading through the entire thread. Renting an exchange is of course what we were referencing.

RCI will allow (semi officially) one to recoup some fees

Based on your earlier post, I interpret renting an exchange as being against the rules in ALL circumstances. A (semi officially) action would appear to mean that despite rules to the contrary, they are 'looking the other way' under specific conditions.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying this for those not reading through the entire thread. Renting an exchange is of course what we were referencing.

Based on your earlier post, I interpret renting an exchange as being against the rules in ALL circumstances. A (semi officially) action would appear to mean that despite rules to the contrary, they are 'looking the other way' under specific conditions.
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, RCI will allow renting to recoup direct fees (exchange, guest certificate). When I say semi official, it's not in writing formally but they've told guests repeatedly it's OK, I believe they even posted such on TUG at one time.

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I find it frustrating that people are renting Saratoga Springs exchanges. It’s made it very hard to rent out anything but the Hotel Based resorts at 11 months. I used to use SSR as my last resort, resort...now I can’t rent out those rooms because people use Google to find Redweek SSR rentals.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I find it frustrating that people are renting Saratoga Springs exchanges. It’s made it very hard to rent out anything but the Hotel Based resorts at 11 months. I used to use SSR as my last resort, resort...now I can’t rent out those rooms because people use Google to find Redweek SSR rentals.

I am not an SSR owner but I agree. This is incredibly frustrating. Maybe if a bunch of SSR owners complain to DVC, they will change this. They did listen and revert back to 2019 point charts when enough people complained about the 2020 point chart changes.

Lisa P

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
...I imagine this company has acquired weeks/points gradually after they saw how lucrative this scheme can be. This has not started Yesterday. Has RCI never really noticed that certain members buy every year tens of guest certificates for different people from all over the world? How many siblings, cousins and friends can one have?
Vacation Strategy has been around for a few years, yes. They're regularly mentioned on the DisBoards' Orlando Hotels and Attractions forum as a source of Wyndham Bonnet Creek direct bookings and vacation rentals. As a points manager, they are given access to owner accounts to make reservations for rental customers. Many of their client timeshare points owners have Wyndham Platinum VIP privileges which may include unlimited guest certificates and discounts for reservations made within 60 days of check-in. Vacation Strategy's website does indicate that they favor making reservations within 60 days of check-in.

I'm not sure if they have client timeshare points owners from other systems besides Wyndham but it would not be surprising. Some of their client owners may have platinum exchange company memberships as well, which would provide for unlimited or discounted guest certs. Vacation Strategy may also hold multiple exchange company memberships. Who knows?

Here's my thought (or question)... if they were to use client owners' accounts to access RCI and make exchanges, those various owners' RCI accounts would have the individual guest certificates associated with each of them, wouldn't they? If that occurred (a big IF, admittedly), one RCI account would not accumulate tons of guest certs and raise red flags.

Unethical, yes. Wrong, yes. Please use caution when claiming something is "illegal".
SSR is desirable and pleasant, just huge. Smaller resorts and resorts located within walking distance (or monorail) of a park will always fill faster. 1BRs at any DVC resort are points-pricy for their occupancy limit so they're the last to book and make the most sense for DVC to deposit when members want to do exchanges.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Strategy has been around for a few years, yes. They're regularly mentioned on the DisBoards' Orlando Hotels and Attractions forum as a source of Wyndham Bonnet Creek direct bookings and vacation rentals. As a points manager, they are given access to owner accounts to make reservations for rental customers. Many of their client timeshare points owners have Wyndham Platinum VIP privileges which may include unlimited guest certificates and discounts for reservations made within 60 days of check-in. Vacation Strategy's website does indicate that they favor making reservations within 60 days of check-in.

I'm not sure if they have client timeshare points owners from other systems besides Wyndham but it would not be surprising. Some of their client owners may have platinum exchange company memberships as well, which would provide for unlimited or discounted guest certs. Vacation Strategy may also hold multiple exchange company memberships. Who knows?

Here's my thought (or question)... if they were to use client owners' accounts to access RCI and make exchanges, those various owners' RCI accounts would have the individual guest certificates associated with each of them, wouldn't they? If that occurred (a big IF, admittedly), one RCI account would not accumulate tons of guest certs and raise red flags.

Unethical, yes. Wrong, yes. Please use caution when claiming something is "illegal".
SSR is desirable and pleasant, just huge. Smaller resorts and resorts located within walking distance (or monorail) of a park will always fill faster. 1BRs at any DVC resort are points-pricy for their occupancy limit so they're the last to book and make the most sense for DVC to deposit when members want to do exchanges.

It is good someone on TUG is familiar with this company. Are they a legitimate company, from what you know?

Could they go into owner's accounts and book with RCI? Wouldn't the owner find out? Wouldn't this put the owner at jeopardy? Why would an owner allow this anyway?