• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Owners opinions wanted

Rich S

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert, Marriott Grand Chateau, Grand Solmar at Land's End
Hi all, I need your opinions. Recently I bought an EOY, 3 bedroom week at Grand Chateau resale. It is a floating week, and all the weeks are platinum. My intent is to lock it off, and use 1 bedroom one year, and the 2 bedroom the other year, thereby giving me annual usage.

I would trade it in to Interval for use at other locations, either Marriott or elsewhere.

I want to get input from the experienced Marriott weeks owners. Marriott sent an email telling me that I could enroll my week if I purchased points. I called to inquire about it, and was told the 3000 points would be around $32,000.

My questions are:

1) What do I get for $32,000 that I don't already have?

2) Is this something that most, or any of you have done?

3) I was smart and bought resale, is there a cheaper way of doing the point option if that is the way to go?

4) Are points the way to go, or is it a ploy to generate more income for Marriott?

5) What advice or tips can you provide to help me maximize what I already own?

6) Is my plan realistic or a flawed exercise leading to disappointment?

I have tried to get some answers from Marriott, but I understand they have a vested interest in me buying more product. I figured I could get real, honest opinions and tips here from the community.

I know that all situations are different, but your input is appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your advice, tips, and opinions.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I need your opinions. Recently I bought an EOY, 3 bedroom week at Grand Chateau resale. It is a floating week, and all the weeks are platinum. My intent is to lock it off, and use 1 bedroom one year, and the 2 bedroom the other year, thereby giving me annual usage.

I would trade it in to Interval for use at other locations, either Marriott or elsewhere.

I want to get input from the experienced Marriott weeks owners. Marriott sent an email telling me that I could enroll my week if I purchased points. I called to inquire about it, and was told the 3000 points would be around $32,000.

My questions are:

3) I was smart and bought resale, is there a cheaper way of doing the point option if that is the way to go?

4) Are points the way to go, or is it a ploy to generate more income for Marriott?

I have tried to get some answers from Marriott, but I understand they have a vested interest in me buying more product. I figured I could get real, honest opinions and tips here from the community.

I know that all situations are different, but your input is appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your advice, tips, and opinions.
Personally I would not pay to enroll based on an EOY single 3 BR villa, you're cost per point will be dramatic and your cost per point yearly for dues will be relatively high as well. If you want points you'd be better off buying them resale or looking at some hybrid weeks purchase than simply buying 3000 points. And it might be for some the you go big or go home by buying more weeks then enrolling later if the option comes around again. I don't think you can use it as you state, you can only use the 1 BR and 2 BR in the same year or you'll have to exchange through II for the alternate years. If your main goal was to stay in LV and to trade through II part of the time, there may have have been better ways to accomplish that, certainly there are cheaper ones. Yearly II fee around $100 a year, EOY lockoff fee around $100 a year plus exchange fee, what $154 per Marriott exchange. So ignoring acquisition costs and maintenance fees, add an additional $450 or so for each EOY exchange.

Personally were I where you are I'd look at exchanging off years through one of the independents. I would not enroll or if I did, I'd buy more weeks and enroll at the same time. If you do decide to trade back in through II, you should be able to upgrade to a 2 BR fairly easily if you plan ahead for an additional $100 cost. The additional space will be wasted for 2 but it'll ensure you a full kitchen and larger unit over the small 1 BR that you have and might get on exchange.

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Rich, congratulations on finally getting through ROFR. You have a good plan with a resale week.

Your questions were so basic I wondered "surely this guy did some research before purchasing and had heard about weeks vs. points." So I did a quick search and saw your posting history on TUG. It makes it a bit easier to answer your post because the answers to your questions would be the entire Marriott System 101. While the salesperson can make a purchase sound "necessary" I think you know the answers to most of your questions.

Quick response:

1. $32K will get you more flexibility. Do you need $32K of flexibility that is exclusively Marriott? For an extra annual MF of $1950+ do you need that much flexibility?

2. It would be hard to know how many Marriott owners here on TUG are solid legacy owners (no DC enrollment), solid legacy owners who are enrolled, mix of legacy and points owners, or just points owners.

3. Just like weeks, points are sold on the resale market.

4. Points do generate income for sales people and are not necessary to enjoy your resale week ownership.

5 and 6. You have a good plan. You need to work it a couple years to see if it's enough for you.

You've probably seen this, but in case you haven't:

https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/which-resale-weeks-to-purchase-to-later-enroll.289855/

Last edited:

Rich S

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Personally I would not pay to enroll based on an EOY single 3 BR villa, you're cost per point will be dramatic and your cost per point yearly for dues will be relatively high as well. If you want points you'd be better off buying them resale or looking at some hybrid weeks purchase than simply buying 3000 points. And it might be for some the you go big or go home by buying more weeks then enrolling later if the option comes around again. I don't think you can use it as you state, you can only use the 1 BR and 2 BR in the same year or you'll have to exchange through II for the alternate years. If your main goal was to stay in LV and to trade through II part of the time, there may have have been better ways to accomplish that, certainly there are cheaper ones. Yearly II fee around $100 a year, EOY lockoff fee around $100 a year plus exchange fee, what $154 per Marriott exchange. So ignoring acquisition costs and maintenance fees, add an additional $450 or so for each EOY exchange.

Personally were I where you are I'd look at exchanging off years through one of the independents. I would not enroll or if I did, I'd buy more weeks and enroll at the same time. If you do decide to trade back in through II, you should be able to upgrade to a 2 BR fairly easily if you plan ahead for an additional $100 cost. The additional space will be wasted for 2 but it'll ensure you a full kitchen and larger unit over the small 1 BR that you have and might get on exchange.

Hey Dean, thank you for your input. I really appreciate the perspective. I didn't bother to mention II fees because I have a multi-year membership already. I also own Wyndham and have plenty of points to use annually, so the Marriott was a trade up from a previous EOY that I had. It was bought as a trader, but I just want to ask the experts on how to get the best use out of it.

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
Higher maintenance fees :) I don't have points so I'll defer to points owners. If you're willing to trade via II, it's not worth the buy-in of $32K.

I forget the exact amount, but you would get somewhere around 4.4K DPs (for 3BR MGC) if you enrolled. This is enough to get you one week Mountain View at Ko Olina. I just locked mine off and got a week at Ko Olina and a week at Waiohai in return. By keeping the weeks, you can get 2 (Hawaii or other) weeks vice one.

I don't know how many have done it. I own exactly what you purchased. I've been called by Marriott to do the same (and have been offered the hybrid purchase at updates) but refused each offer. It's not worth it in my opinion.

Answered by @Dean and @Quilter

From what I've seen points have greater flexibility, but at a greater cost in MF. I don't know the current MF, but they were .55 in the not too distant past, so I'll use that for this answer. The 3000 DPs will cost you $1.65K in MF. A 2BR MGC LO is less than $1.4K (can't remember if it's less than or greater than $1.3K). You can still get 2 weeks from the 2BR LO at Marriott. In addition, the purchase price is significantly cheaper.

If you can plan out 12 months in advance, you'll love it. Setup an OGS at II. I haven't done that because I haven't needed to; I've been able to snag exchanges for:
Ko Olina: 2x 2BR
Waiohai: 2BR
Frenchman's Cove: 2BR
Westin Nanea: 2BR (though my non-Marriott saw this one as well)

I've seen most, if not all, Marriotts that are deposited in II. In addition to the above, I've seen available exchanges into Maui Ocean Club, Kauai Beach Club, Grande Ocean, Barony Beach, Newport Coast Villas, Aruba Surf, Aruba Ocean, St Kitts, Summit Watch, MoutainSide, Tahoe, and all Orlando Marriotts including Lakeshore Reserve just to name a few. I'm sure others would come to mind if I thought longer on it.

It's very realistic.

Rich S

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi Rich, congratulations on finally getting through ROFR. You have a good plan with a resale week.

Your questions were so basic I wondered "surely this guy did some research before purchasing and had heard about weeks vs. points." So I did a quick search and saw your posting history on TUG. It makes it a bit easier to answer your post because the answers to your questions would be the entire Marriott System 101. While the salesperson can make a purchase sound "necessary" I think you know the answers to most of your questions.

Quick response:

1. $32K will get you more flexibility. Do you need $32K of flexibility that is exclusively Marriott? For an extra annual MF of $1950+ do you need that much flexibility?

2. It would be hard to know how many Marriott owners here on TUG are solid legacy owners (no DC enrollment), solid legacy owners who are enrolled, mix of legacy and points owners, or just points owners.

3. Just like weeks, points are sold on the resale market.

4. Points do generate income for sales people and are not necessary to enjoy your resale week ownership.

5 and 6. You have a good plan. You need to work it a couple years to see if it's enough for you.

You've probably seen this, but in case you haven't:

https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/which-resale-weeks-to-purchase-to-later-enroll.289855/

Quilter, thanks on the congrats of getting through ROFR. I couldn't have done it without TUG! ;-)

You're right I thought I knew the answers to most of my own questions, but sometimes a little knowledge can be dangerous and I wanted to hear from the more experienced.

Thank you for your input and the link, I had not seen it. When I get a chance this evening I will digest it further.

Rich S

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Higher maintenance fees :) I don't have points so I'll defer to points owners. If you're willing to trade via II, it's not worth the buy-in of $32K.

I forget the exact amount, but you would get somewhere around 4.4K DPs (for 3BR MGC) if you enrolled. This is enough to get you one week Mountain View at Ko Olina. I just locked mine off and got a week at Ko Olina and a week at Waiohai in return. By keeping the weeks, you can get 2 (Hawaii or other) weeks vice one.

I don't know how many have done it. I own exactly what you purchased. I've been called by Marriott to do the same (and have been offered the hybrid purchase at updates) but refused each offer. It's not worth it in my opinion.

Answered by @Dean and @Quilter

From what I've seen points have greater flexibility, but at a greater cost in MF. I don't know the current MF, but they were .55 in the not too distant past, so I'll use that for this answer. The 3000 DPs will cost you $1.65K in MF. A 2BR MGC LO is less than $1.4K (can't remember if it's less than or greater than $1.3K). You can still get 2 weeks from the 2BR LO at Marriott. In addition, the purchase price is significantly cheaper.

If you can plan out 12 months in advance, you'll love it. Setup an OGS at II. I haven't done that because I haven't needed to; I've been able to snag exchanges for:
Ko Olina: 2x 2BR
Waiohai: 2BR
Frenchman's Cove: 2BR
Westin Nanea: 2BR (though my non-Marriott saw this one as well)

I've seen most, if not all, Marriotts that are deposited in II. In addition to the above, I've seen available exchanges into Maui Ocean Club, Kauai Beach Club, Grande Ocean, Barony Beach, Newport Coast Villas, Aruba Surf, Aruba Ocean, St Kitts, Summit Watch, MoutainSide, Tahoe, and all Orlando Marriotts including Lakeshore Reserve just to name a few. I'm sure others would come to mind if I thought longer on it.

It's very realistic.

NiteMaire, thank you so much. Your input is exactly what I am looking for. I appreciate your time and perspective.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
I own a 2 br EOY at the Chateau that I purchased just for trade on ebay for 1800. I will never go there. I deposit the studio and the 1 BR. I now own it through 2 cycles and had 4 trades. I am very pleased and have upgraded (with additional fees) to both 2 and 3 bedrooms). I am tied to a school schedule so it tends to be prime time. My strategy is to trade into the first place I know we would enjoy going and use ePlus (allows for 3 retrades ) to better my hand. I currently used the studio to get me an August 17th unit at the Grand Ocean. The other studio I got a 1 bedroom at Desert Springs Villas I during Christmas week last year. The 1 bedroom became a 2 br at the Surf in Aruba. The other 1 bedroom got me a 3 bedroom at Surfwatch last August before becoming a 2 bedroom at Oceanwatch.

1) What do I get for $32,000 that I don't already have? Poorer

2) Is this something that most, or any of you have done? I own a legacy week that I enrolled in the points program that I never exchanged. I own another 2 br and the EOY. I have no intention of every enrolling the other weeks in the point program but this is a personal choice based on how I like to vacation and my strategy of vacation usage. You need to figure if it makes sense for you.

3) I was smart and bought resale, is there a cheaper way of doing the point option if that is the way to go? You can go with resale points

4) Are points the way to go, or is it a ploy to generate more income for Marriott? Yes and yes, no and no or any other combination. There are many people happy with points and many people happy with no points. You can find unhappy with both. You should continue to ask questions and try and figure out where you might fit based on how you like to vacation.

5) What advice or tips can you provide to help me maximize what I already own? Keep a list of places you would like to trade to and when it pops up book it. Get eplus and continue to look for places higher on the list. It is all about being flexible and looking often.

6) Is my plan realistic or a flawed exercise leading to disappointment? I asked the same question as this before I purchased my unit and I was told it works well. Given I have been successful with the plan, those that told me that were right. I think it will work as long as you are flexible and work at it. One caveat... past successes is not a predictor of future success. I do not think it will ever happen (I have been using II for 24 years) but Marriott can change things in II given they own it.

Good luck and good choice. Points or no points... hear both sides before deciding but at the end of the day it is about how you vacation.

Last edited:

Rich S

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I own a 2 br EOY at the Chateau that I purchased just for trade on ebay for 1800. I will never go there. I deposit the studio and the 1 BR. I now own it through 2 cycles and had 4 trades. I am very pleased and have upgraded (with additional fees) to both 2 and 3 bedrooms). I am tied to a school schedule so it tends to be prime time. My strategy is to use instead trade and trade the first place I know we would enjoy going and get ePlus (allows for 3 retrades ) to better my hand. I currently used the studio to get me an August 17th unit at the Grand Ocean. The other studio I got a 1 bedroom at Desert Springs Villas I during Christmas week last year. The 1 bedroom became a 2 br at the Surf in Aruba. The other 1 bedroom got me a 3 bedroom at Surfwatch last August before becoming a 2 bedroom at Oceanwatch.

1) What do I get for $32,000 that I don't already have? Poorer

2) Is this something that most, or any of you have done? I own a legacy week that I enrolled in the points program that I never exchanged. I own another 2 br and the EOY. I have no intention of every enrolling he other week sin the point program but this is a personal choice based on how I like to vacation and my strategy of vacation usage. You need to figure if it makes sense for you.

3) I was smart and bought resale, is there a cheaper way of doing the point option if that is the way to go? You can go resale points

4) Are points the way to go, or is it a ploy to generate more income for Marriott? Yes and yes, no and no or any other combination. There are many people happy with points and many people happy with no points. You can find unhappy with both. You should continue to ask questions and try and figure out where you might fit based on how you like to vacation.

5) What advice or tips can you provide to help me maximize what I already own? Keep a list of places you would like to trade to and when it pops up book it. Get eplus and continue to look for places higher on the list. It is all about being flexible and looking often.

6) Is my plan realistic or a flawed exercise leading to disappointment? I asked the same question as this before I purchased my unit and I was told it works well. Given I have been successful with the plan, those that told me that were right. I think it will work as long as you are flexible and work at it. One caveat... past successes is not a predictor of future success. I do not think it will ever happen (I have been using II for 24 years) but Marriott can change things in II given they own it.

Good luck and good choice. Points or no points... hear both sides before deciding but at the end of the day it is about how you vacation.

l0410z, you and the others that have responded so far are priceless! This is what a forum should be. Your input and experiences are what I need. Thank you for your time and perspective.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx

In order to use a portion one year and the other portion the following year, you basically will need to exchange one of the two reservations through an exchange company like interval. Perhaps you know that and it is what you meant. But if not....

Because you own an EOY, you can only reserve the unit (either the 1 BR or the 2 BR portion or the entire 3 BR unit) in your own use year. For instance, if you have an EOY-even, you could make a reservation during this year for, say, January, 2020 or early December 2020, etc. But you cannot reserve (through Marriott) a unit for check in during 2021 or 2019 if you are an EOY-even.

But the way around this would be to make both reservations for your use year and to deposit one or both into Interval and exchange them for whatever dates both work for you and are available. I own an EOY-odd in Palm Desert. So, I always split it and usually deposit at least one side into Interval. I make my reservations one year in advance (in my "season") and have been using the 1 BR side and exchanging the efficiency side for either a 1 or 2 BR unit somewhere else and at a different date, such as an even year.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey Dean, thank you for your input. I really appreciate the perspective. I didn't bother to mention II fees because I have a multi-year membership already. I also own Wyndham and have plenty of points to use annually, so the Marriott was a trade up from a previous EOY that I had. It was bought as a trader, but I just want to ask the experts on how to get the best use out of it.
That reduces your yearly cost if you have a private II account that you can add your Marriott purchase to . You'll still need to pay a fee to do so or extend your membership one. You'll still have the other fees of lockoff, exchange and upgrade, but it does make it more reasonable. Personally I see LV as easy to trade to, esp if you can do with a 1 BR. I'd probably trade in to GC with other options and trade the 2 BR for elsewhere.

Rich S

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
In order to use a portion one year and the other portion the following year, you basically will need to exchange one of the two reservations through an exchange company like interval. Perhaps you know that and it is what you meant. But if not....

Because you own an EOY, you can only reserve the unit (either the 1 BR or the 2 BR portion or the entire 3 BR unit) in your own use year. For instance, if you have an EOY-even, you could make a reservation during this year for, say, January, 2020 or early December 2020, etc. But you cannot reserve (through Marriott) a unit for check in during 2021 or 2019 if you are an EOY-even.

But the way around this would be to make both reservations for your use year and to deposit one or both into Interval and exchange them for whatever dates both work for you and are available. I own an EOY-odd in Palm Desert. So, I always split it and usually deposit at least one side into Interval. I make my reservations one year in advance (in my "season") and have been using the 1 BR side and exchanging the efficiency side for either a 1 or 2 BR unit somewhere else and at a different date, such as an even year.

Hey BJRSanDiego, thanks for your reply. Yeah, that is what I meant, sorry I wasn't more clear. So, you split, deposit one side in Interval and use the other side at Palm Desert correct? The deposit into Interval, do you use at other Marriotts, or other resorts outside of Marriott?

Rich S

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That reduces your yearly cost if you have a private II account that you can add your Marriott purchase to . You'll still need to pay a fee to do so or extend your membership one. You'll still have the other fees of lockoff, exchange and upgrade, but it does make it more reasonable. Personally I see LV as easy to trade to, esp if you can do with a 1 BR. I'd probably trade in to GC with other options and trade the 2 BR for elsewhere.

I think I have another year before I have to renew my Interval membership, so I am just paying the fees of locking off, exchanging, and upgrades. Good idea! Thanks.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think I have another year before I have to renew my Interval membership, so I am just paying the fees of locking off, exchanging, and upgrades. Good idea! Thanks.
To list it with II you’ll have to either pay a fee or extend. If you’re only a year away I’d look for a 2 for 1 code and extend well before you have to deposit.

Rich S

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
To list it with II you’ll have to either pay a fee or extend. If you’re only a year away I’d look for a 2 for 1 code and extend well before you have to deposit.
Thanks for the tip. How often and where do these 2 for 1 codes pop up?

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Do more research on the points part of the equation. I wouldn't buy the points until you can get to Executive. I have two enrolled weeks and bought 1500 points to get to Executive which gest me to booking 1 or more days 13 months out. When you look at the points chart you realize very quickly that Friday and Saturday nights together cost you almost as much as the other five days. Sunday through Thursday stays are really a good deal using points IMO. You can sandwich two paid or rewards nights in between two Sunday to Thursday points reservations for a 12 night trip. It works great if you are staying somewhere with multiple MVC or Marriott hotel properties (Hilton Head, Palm Springs, Orlando, Hawaii). As for II, the real value is the ability to get 2 and 3 BR units for a studio or 1BR with nothing more than the unit size upgrade fee. If you are flexible in your travel plans you can get great deals with ACs.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. How often and where do these 2 for 1 codes pop up?
Sometimes you get them directly send from II. You may see them listed here from time to time as well and you can try the codes and see if they work.

Rich S

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Do more research on the points part of the equation. I wouldn't buy the points until you can get to Executive. I have two enrolled weeks and bought 1500 points to get to Executive which gest me to booking 1 or more days 13 months out. When you look at the points chart you realize very quickly that Friday and Saturday nights together cost you almost as much as the other five days. Sunday through Thursday stays are really a good deal using points IMO. You can sandwich two paid or rewards nights in between two Sunday to Thursday points reservations for a 12 night trip. It works great if you are staying somewhere with multiple MVC or Marriott hotel properties (Hilton Head, Palm Springs, Orlando, Hawaii). As for II, the real value is the ability to get 2 and 3 BR units for a studio or 1BR with nothing more than the unit size upgrade fee. If you are flexible in your travel plans you can get great deals with ACs.
Thanks Big Matt, good to know!

Rich S

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sometimes you get them directly send from II. You may see them listed here from time to time as well and you can try the codes and see if they work.
Gotcha, thanks Dean.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Hey BJRSanDiego, thanks for your reply. Yeah, that is what I meant, sorry I wasn't more clear. So, you split, deposit one side in Interval and use the other side at Palm Desert correct? The deposit into Interval, do you use at other Marriotts, or other resorts outside of Marriott?

More often than not, I deposit both sides. Then I either exchange into another Marriott or exchange into a non-Marriott.

Marriott to Marriott searches typically give a Marriott 22 day preference period. IMHO, that is a HUGE advantage/benefit.

My wife and I really like staying in larger units. So, when I deposit (for example) an efficiency, I try to exchange into a 1 or 2 BR. This year I have confirmations for six 2-BR units using a variety of different sized deposits. I almost always buy the ePlus, nail down a decent date and then, if necessary, use ePlus to upgrade to a larger unit or a slightly better date. When you are doing a request of only Marriott targets within Interval, you get a reduced exchange rate. Something around $145. If you add a single non-Marriott to your request, you pay the full II rate. On a manual exchange to a Marriott you also get the reduced rate.

One of the other nice things about reserving a year in advance and depositing, is the deposit is good for 2 years after the check-in date. So, it has a combined "shelf life" of three years. Also, it is nice to have something to search with.