• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI Lowest MF $ per TPU received

GPLACERS

Reaction score
I own at Lifetime in Hawaii, a Studio that sleeps 4 on Oahu, Maintenance fees are $570 and Last two weeks in December get 53 TPU's in RCI. This resort is selling ownership weeks for just $1,000 per week, buy 2 weeks get 1 free. A bonus is the resort has a newsletter classifieds section where you can get additional weeks. Owners place ads looking for someone to rent their use year week and all you do is pay their Maintenance fees directly to the Timeshare office. Then you can choose your week and deposit it into RCI. Resort is also one of the few resorts on Oahu that have Free Parking!

I am a Worldmark owner, and this Lifetime in Hawaii gets me into many Worldamrk Resorts in RCI for under $500 per week, whereas if I would of booked through the Worldmark website I would of paid $900 for the week easily.

Last edited:

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
My parents had orange lakes Christmas week and got 58 tpu.

I'm chuckling because back in the day our last OLCC exchange was a 3-bedroom in the East Village Christmas week, even up. Now it would take 3 deposits.

:) (chuckle)
- - - - - -
Funny, though, although I should be pissed (still) I am still on friendly terms with the RCI person who told me, "You're gonna like what's coming," in advance of TPUs being rolled out.

Doing more than ever, for more, with RCI, and not using a single TPU.

Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get.

Last edited:

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
Down to one timeshare- Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest in western NY state. Week 26 gave me 47 TPUs with my most recent deposit and my annual maintenance fee is $335. Cost per TPU=$7.13.:cheer::whooopie::banana:

My RCI membership expires in 2026 thanks to a deal we got when we bought a South Africa timeshare in the early 2000s. Doubt I will renew it.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
My RCI membership expires in 2026 thanks to a deal we got when we bought a South Africa timeshare in the early 2000s. Doubt I will renew it.

Why?

Would you not want to continue vacationing, to the same places, for about $300/week . . . total . . . . no deposits required?

JMNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview Las Vegas
Regal Vistas (also Massanutten) summer weeks 4 br get 178,000 points for $985.
I'm looking at a couple of options in Massanutten at The Summit. From what I understand, they're both floating week units, and they get about 40 to 50 TPU in RCI. Can you explain a ballpark of what I can expect that to convert to for a trade? Is 40 or 50 TPU enough to trade into a 2 or 3 bedroom in Orlando, or other more popular places? Still new to all of this and trying to figure it all out.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I'm looking at a couple of options in Massanutten at The Summit. From what I understand, they're both floating week units, and they get about 40 to 50 TPU in RCI. Can you explain a ballpark of what I can expect that to convert to for a trade? Is 40 or 50 TPU enough to trade into a 2 or 3 bedroom in Orlando, or other more popular places? Still new to all of this and trying to figure it all out.
In order to get than many tpu's you would need to deposit as two separate deposits. There would then be a fee to combine them again. You would want to make sure you have a 1-52 float week and a 4 BR. There are some lower seasons and some 2 BR's that have the same MF in summit. You would have to prepay the MF's at least 6-12 months in advance to be able to reserve one of the better weeks. If you want week 52 you almost have to prepay 18-24 months in advance most years. 30 is probably enough tpu's to trade into most 2-3 bedrooms in Orlando most of the year. Weeks 51 and 52 are sometimes in the 40-50 range.

JMNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview Las Vegas
In order to get than many tpu's you would need to deposit as two separate deposits. There would then be a fee to combine them again. You would want to make sure you have a 1-52 float week and a 4 BR. There are some lower seasons and some 2 BR's that have the same MF in summit. You would have to prepay the MF's at least 6-12 months in advance to be able to reserve one of the better weeks. If you want week 52 you almost have to prepay 18-24 months in advance most years. 30 is probably enough tpu's to trade into most 2-3 bedrooms in Orlando most of the year. Weeks 51 and 52 are sometimes in the 40-50 range.
Thank you. I've been reading a lot about this stuff lately, and it seems that the best trade values at Massanutten are the high season Regal Vista 4 BR units, but I haven't seen those come up at all since I've been looking. One of the Summit units I'm looking at is a 1-52 float and 4 BR. The other is a fixed week red season 4 BR. If I pull the trigger on it, I'm inclined to go for the 1-52 float week since that seems like a more flexible option, which we need. Massanutten seems to have better trade value than the Grand View in Vegas, which is the other place I've been looking at since we do like to go out to the desert as often as we can. MFs seem to be comparable between the two, and VA is a lot closer to home for when we just want to have a place to drive to, so it is the front runner right now. I've just had some concerns about some complaints I've been reading from owners at Massanutten about recent issues and changes there, but I'll be visiting the resort in a couple of weeks to stay with a friend at their timeshare so I can see for myself how it is.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Val Chatelle is 23 for a summer week at about $860 in MF's, making it quite expensive, but I do use the summer weeks in RCI because I get some good value in weeks with my 3 summer weeks. It's been a great way to use them because we don't go much to Val Chatelle anymore. I kind of got tired of Frisco/ Breck. We have owned for 38 years. Thank goodness for RCI.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Free advice, part 1 (for those new to timesharing): Do not buy anything that you primarily intend to trade.

Free advice, part 2 (for those with more experience): Rather than look for the absolute best $/TPU values for a trader, look for weeks that have some intrinsic value which also have good $/TPU values.

I don't think anyone needs to own at Massanutten to stay there, even in a nicer, larger unit; and even in high season. It practically defines the term "over-built." What's more, I don't think many people think of Massanutten as their first and best vacation option over all of the options out there. Yes, there is skiing, but there is better skiing at lots of other places if you are willing to get on a plane, so it only caters to the (still sizeable) mid-Atlantic population. For summer? I bet the Smokies out-draw the Blue Ridge mountains even for the mid-Atlantic crowd, and both are drive-to if you are talking about a week.

Why does this matter? As long as the $/TPU ratios are good, it doesn't. You will get good value out of it, and if you no longer want to use it yourself, you can find another TUGger who will take it off your hands. But, if the $/TPU ratio changes materially, you could easily be stuck with an albatross that you don't really want to use, can't easily rent for the MFs, and have trouble unloading.

Buying a week that is more attractive overall gives you better exit options if it no longer works as an efficient trader. That might be worth doing even if the $/TPU isn't quite as attractive. We here at TUG can sometimes get over-enamored of the "very best deal" but sometimes all you need is a really good deal.

And, lest you think such a devaluation can't happen: RCI has gone through at least two major gobal re-valuations in the time I've owned timeshares. I will not be surprised if it happens again.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Thank you. I've been reading a lot about this stuff lately, and it seems that the best trade values at Massanutten are the high season Regal Vista 4 BR units, but I haven't seen those come up at all since I've been looking. One of the Summit units I'm looking at is a 1-52 float and 4 BR. The other is a fixed week red season 4 BR. If I pull the trigger on it, I'm inclined to go for the 1-52 float week since that seems like a more flexible option, which we need. Massanutten seems to have better trade value than the Grand View in Vegas, which is the other place I've been looking at since we do like to go out to the desert as often as we can. MFs seem to be comparable between the two, and VA is a lot closer to home for when we just want to have a place to drive to, so it is the front runner right now. I've just had some concerns about some complaints I've been reading from owners at Massanutten about recent issues and changes there, but I'll be visiting the resort in a couple of weeks to stay with a friend at their timeshare so I can see for myself how it is.

If you’re looking for one to trade with, IMHO The Colonies is a bit better than Massanutten IMHO. I own both there (week 31 4 BR LO) and Woodstone at Massanutten (week 29, also 4 BR LO). I get slightly more TPUs per 2 BR week deposit from The Colonies, though the program Massanutten typically runs for Trading Power Boosts (an extra expiring week on deposit in exchange for paying your MFs early) makes up for it. What I prefer about The Colonies is that it’s dual-affiliated with RCI and II, so I can get access to higher quality resorts.

JMNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview Las Vegas
If you’re looking for one to trade with, IMHO The Colonies is a bit better than Massanutten IMHO. I own both there (week 31 4 BR LO) and Woodstone at Massanutten (week 29, also 4 BR LO). I get slightly more TPUs per 2 BR week deposit from The Colonies, though the program Massanutten typically runs for Trading Power Boosts (an extra expiring week on deposit in exchange for paying your MFs early) makes up for it. What I prefer about The Colonies is that it’s dual-affiliated with RCI and II, so I can get access to higher quality resorts.
Thank you for that. I will add it to my list of places to check out.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Free advice, part 1 (for those new to timesharing): Do not buy anything that you primarily intend to trade.

Free advice, part 2 (for those with more experience): Rather than look for the absolute best $/TPU values for a trader, look for weeks that have some intrinsic value which also have good $/TPU values.

I don't think anyone needs to own at Massanutten to stay there, even in a nicer, larger unit; and even in high season. It practically defines the term "over-built." What's more, I don't think many people think of Massanutten as their first and best vacation option over all of the options out there. Yes, there is skiing, but there is better skiing at lots of other places if you are willing to get on a plane, so it only caters to the (still sizeable) mid-Atlantic population. For summer? I bet the Smokies out-draw the Blue Ridge mountains even for the mid-Atlantic crowd, and both are drive-to if you are talking about a week.

Why does this matter? As long as the $/TPU ratios are good, it doesn't. You will get good value out of it, and if you no longer want to use it yourself, you can find another TUGger who will take it off your hands. But, if the $/TPU ratio changes materially, you could easily be stuck with an albatross that you don't really want to use, can't easily rent for the MFs, and have trouble unloading.

Buying a week that is more attractive overall gives you better exit options if it no longer works as an efficient trader. That might be worth doing even if the $/TPU isn't quite as attractive. We here at TUG can sometimes get over-enamored of the "very best deal" but sometimes all you need is a really good deal.

And, lest you think such a devaluation can't happen: RCI has gone through at least two major gobal re-valuations in the time I've owned timeshares. I will not be surprised if it happens again.
I agree with everything you said but my brother and sister in law just spent a week in a 4 BR Woodstone unit at Massanutten with kids 9 and 12 and an 11 year old cousin plus her brother and sister in law and her grandmother - 5 adults and 3 children. I was able to exchange in about a month prior and a week before back to school. Exchange fee as an owner (or any VV affilliate owner) $159, as an owner Massanutten lets me change the name on rci exchanges 1-2 times a year without making me pay the rci guest cert. The tpu's were 9 so I was able to use ones that I got for prepaying my MF's early. They happily paid the $198 resort fee for their unit when checking in. Massanutten is under a 3 hour drive. For an all in $500 vacation with room to spread out, it actually was their first choice of anything under $2000 for a larger family mid August vacation.

I wouldn't want to own anything that I can't fairly easily rent out to at least cover MF's. Massanutten has a long enough MF's track record that I can say within the next 5 years or so I can rent out a summer week without losing money if I choose not to deposit even with the resort fees. Before the resort fees it was easy to rent out a summer week for $100-$200 above MF's for a unit that you could get for free.

Regal Vistas MF's are up to $515 (plus $48 owner resort fee) if you own a 2 BR. I can exchange in for a little less through weeks if there is a summer week available but sometimes using my week 29 or week 30 is more convenient than depositing.

MonicaOnVacation

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vail Resorts @ Hunter, NY Quarter Ownership (13 Weeks)
Thanks! We've been thinking of buying something just for II trades as right now our resort only allows us access to RCI. I will add this to our list

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
That's great advice.

JMNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview Las Vegas
I'm still looking around, and I've been trying to find a chart or table or something for TPU values for resorts, and I can't seem to find anything. I've recently seen a week 29 4 bedroom at the Summit at Massanutten, and I'm wondering if there's enough value there to go for it, but I can't see how many TPU that would get, or how many TPU I would need to trade into a couple of other resorts we would want to go to in FL, Vegas, or the islands. Is there somewhere I can see that information? I'm not currently a member of RCI or any other timeshare ownership.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
I'm still looking around, and I've been trying to find a chart or table or something for TPU values for resorts, and I can't seem to find anything. I've recently seen a week 29 4 bedroom at the Summit at Massanutten, and I'm wondering if there's enough value there to go for it, but I can't see how many TPU that would get, or how many TPU I would need to trade into a couple of other resorts we would want to go to in FL, Vegas, or the islands. Is there somewhere I can see that information? I'm not currently a member of RCI or any other timeshare ownership.

Week 29 at Summit would yield 19 TPU for each side (both partial and full) for 2022. My bet is if you hold out you may find something (in time) for a better ratio at $0 sales price. I would try to get a prime the Colonies, Vacation Village Williamsburg, Woodstone, or Regal Vistas. They may cost something, but not that much for a weeks contract.

Last edited:

Great3

TUG Member
Reaction score

Yeah, this information won't be published anywhere, you need to have an RCI account, and even so, you can't sit thru and go thru every single resort for every single week to find out the TPU trading power for the best resorts, that would be information overload. Plus each resort has it's own rules on how deposits to RCI works.

See this thread for idea of other Resort's TPUs that been discussed: How can you determine TPU... | Timeshare Users Group Discussion Forums (tugbbs.com)

Great3