• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is there no advantage to buying direct?

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
You're also NOT paying the "fair market value." There are -some- benefits in the Marriott system to buying direct (though not worth their cost in my opinion), but I see none in the Hilton system.

DVC also has some advantages on Direct purchase. As well, the resale prices at DVC are, in many cases, higher than what we paid for resale several years back (and close to the original Direct prices, I believe), and approaching some of the Direct prices at present. Taking into account various fees, a small Direct purchase can be on a par with, or cheaper than, a similarly-sized resale.

But this is definitely an exception and, as noted, not the case with HGVC.

Cheers.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
DVC also has some advantages on Direct purchase. As well, the resale prices at DVC are, in many cases, higher than what we paid for resale several years back (and close to the original Direct prices, I believe), and approaching some of the Direct prices at present. Taking into account various fees, a small Direct purchase can be on a par with, or cheaper than, a similarly-sized resale.

But this is definitely an exception and, as noted, not the case with HGVC.

Cheers.
DVC has certainly appreciated in value. I could sell at today's prices for anywhere from 2 to 4 times what I paid 10 years ago. Only other timeshare I own that has appreciated are our Marriott grand residence weeks.

Also agree that DVC is the exception and not the norm. Even my resale HGVC points are reselling for only about 50%-75% of what I paid.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
"HGVC treats resale owners better than Marriott"

Can anyone provide more detail about this comment? I am considering a resale purchase of Marriott points at 60% less than retail
I prefer Vistana properties that are mandatory and you can use the points in other locations. Granted the locations are as varied as Marriott, but I prefer Westin resorts anyway. I hope they keep them operating separately.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
DVC has certainly appreciated in value. I could sell at today's prices for anywhere from 2 to 4 times what I paid 10 years ago. Only other timeshare I own that has appreciated are our Marriott grand residence weeks.

Also agree that DVC is the exception and not the norm. Even my resale HGVC points are reselling for only about 50%-75% of what I paid.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I looked into DVC but the prices are extremely high. Other than early fast pass booking what else do you get? I feel like you. Need transportation anyway so why not Uber to the parks since it’s cheap and quick

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I looked into DVC but the prices are extremely high. Other than early fast pass booking what else do you get?

Owning DVC affords the ability to stay in primo locations for a fraction of the price of getting the room in other ways. We own at two properties that are within walking distance of Epcot which, not coincidentally, is our favorite park (although Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios are making some moves :)).

Just like, in addition to owning some regular HGVC points in Vegas, we own at the (higher-priced) W. 57th so that we can stay in New York.

Cheers.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Owning DVC affords the ability to stay in primo locations for a fraction of the price of getting the room in other ways. We own at two properties that are within walking distance of Epcot which, not coincidentally, is our favorite park (although Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios are making some moves :)).

Just like, in addition to owning some regular HGVC points in Vegas, we own at the (higher-priced) W. 57th so that we can stay in New York.

Cheers.
I live in nyc lol. Which resorts are close to Disney? Any disadvantages to buying resale with DVC? Tbh I never dove into It because I go once every so often to Disney and spend more time at universal. I do love food and wine at Epcot and animal kingdom. Well, and now Hollywood studios lol

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I live in nyc lol. Which resorts are close to Disney? Any disadvantages to buying resale with DVC? Tbh I never dove into It because I go once every so often to Disney and spend more time at universal. I do love food and wine at Epcot and animal kingdom. Well, and now Hollywood studios lol

DVC have like 10 or so locations within the WDW property. They're on-site, which is why they're desirable.

Yes, there are implications to buying resale. I don't recall all the details as we bought resale when things were the same, so we're grandfathered in to full benefits.

The DVC board here is likely good. Also, www.mouseowners.com is a fabulous site with much information.

Cheers.

gologo

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All HGVC
Always buy from the secondary market!
RESCIND NOW!
Follow the instructions eggsactly as stated in your contract.
Why? Because that price is absurd. You can buy 8400 pts for 80% less.
The only thing you get buying direct is having points count toward elite.
Elite starts at 14K points. The elites here say it's not worth paying retail.
Otherwise, resale gets you everything that direct does.

BTW, those 20K in bonus points will disappear in 2 years...
And then you'll be left with a TS for which you paid far too much.

Here are some "platinum" listings from a reputable broker (Seth Nock)...
Hilton Anderson Ocean Club 2 Bed Plus Annual Platinum 8400 $14,000.00
Hilton Bay Club At Waikoloa 2 Bed Plus Annual Platinum 8400 $6,900.00
Hilton Hawaiian Village – Lagoon 2 Bed Plus Annual Platinum 8400 $18,500.00
Hilton Hokulani Waikiki 1 Bed Premier Annual Platinum 8400 $27,000.00
Hilton I-Drive (Tuscany) 3 Bed Annual Platinum 8400 $8,900.00
Hilton King’s Land 2 Bed Plus Annual Platinum 8400 $8,900.00
Hilton Kohala Suites 2 Bed Plus Fixed Week 51 Platinum 8400 $13,900.00
Hilton Las Vegas Strip 3 Bed Annual Platinum 8400 $18,000.00
Hilton Marbrisa 2 Bedroom Plus Annual Platinum 8400 $8,900.00
Hilton Parc Soleil 2 Bed Plus Annual Platinum 8400 $9,000.00
Hilton SeaWorld 3 Bed Annual Platinum 8400 $12,900.00
Hilton Waikoloa 2 Bed Plus Annual Platinum 8400 $10,900.00
... Smaller packages are available for less.
See: https://www.sellingtimeshares.net/category/listings/hilton/

Aside from pushy TS sales weasels & absurd pricing, HGVC is a good system.
It's resorts are HQ, booking flexible, and it's generally, consumer friendly.
And, from what we've heard, treats resale buyers the best of every system.

Hope this helps.
Seth Nock is one of the best resale agents out there! I can recommend him without any hesitation

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Seth Nock is one of the best resale agents out there! I can recommend him without any hesitation
I'm not sure how much Seth is still doing with HGVC. He now runs (and I think owns all or a large part of) dvcshop.com which specializes in DVC sales and rentals.

natarajanv

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how much Seth is still doing with HGVC. He now runs (and I think owns all or a large part of) dvcshop.com which specializes in DVC sales and rentals.
He has Samuel who works for him. Also he personally owns several hgvc contracts. If you email or call his contact info, you will get a reply from Samuel Rodriguez. We just bought one from him.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
The advantage to buying direct is that you get to make
the salesperp happy. He or she will smile at you (like the
Grinch), maybe even shake your hand. You'll feel good
about yourself. Much better than if they snarl and snap.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Yes, there is one advantage....

d099e947dbee62473e99e971a456cbb2.jpg

FLUSH BABY FLUSH...

Oops, you might need to call the plumber to fix the plugged toilet now.

Naw, buy resale. Save 90 percent plus.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk