• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Bluegreen owner

matt0o

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Big Cedar
I am new to TUG. I have spent some time now reading through a lot of the forms and I have a little bit of an information overload. I'm full of questions but ill try to narrow down a few in a single post. Interestingly, I was recommended to this website by a salesperson as a presentation over the weekend.

The initial question I have for PUG is help understanding what exactly I own, what it means, and what I can do with it outside of blue-green itself. I have listed my information below. through reading the forms I see that the purchasing of ownership in the way I did was not the optimal way to enter into a timeshare, but its done and past being able to get out of it. I don't have any complaints about what my current ownership has allowed me to do thus far, just unfortunate I bought the way I did with what I'm learning about the resale market. I am looking for some advice on how to utilize what I currently have. I feel confident using my points through the Bluegreen points system, but am unclear how my units and Bluegreen points transition into something like RCI.

I have been a Bluegreen owner for a little over a year now. We initially bought an ownership out of a sampler package for a 10,000 points EOY. 6 months later we upgraded to 8,000 every year. our weeks listen in our contract are listed as 2348/25F and 2436B/45F. These are deeded at big cedar in Branson with wilderness club.

the break down of my maintenance fees are 645 for the week 25 unit and 171 for week 45. If I'm reading my contract right, they are both 1bd or studio.

Lastly, I apologize for my ignorance and look forward to rectifying that with the help of TUG.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
I don't own with Bluegreen but I have stayed at Big Cedar and think that you should have decent trading power with RCI, especially with week 25. You should be able to call owner services and confirm exactly what your unit sizes are.
RCI weeks work differently from points, which is what I have, and you may have to deposit one of your weeks into RCI before you'll be able to see what inventory is available to you. An RCI weeks member should come along and help you shortly.
Have you logged into your RCI account and poked around any? Just familiarizing yourself with RCI will help you understand how it works.

matt0o

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Big Cedar
RCI weeks work differently from points, which is what I have, and you may have to deposit one of your weeks into RCI before you'll be able to see what inventory is available to you.

I have those weeks listed on my contract, but i use the bluegreen point system. i have messed with RCI and on the site linked with my bluegreen it shows my points in bluegreen as a 1 for 1 exchange to RCI points i believe. i have read a lot about the concept of trading in "weeks", but not sure about how that system works or if it applies to me.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
Well, when log on to RCI, are your points listed? Do you log in to RCI through your BlueGreen portal or is it a separate RCI account?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
They go through a different portal with bluegreen, and have a better deal because of it.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
They go through a different portal with bluegreen, and have a better deal because of it.
Thanks for the info. I can be more helpful then as Welk also has it's own portal.

matt0o

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Big Cedar
Well, when log on to RCI, are your points listed? Do you log in to RCI through your BlueGreen portal or is it a separate RCI account?

yes, my listed RCI points when I am on the RCI website equal the number of unrestricted Bluegreen points I have. With this setup, does my unit and week dates associated with my Bluegreen points have an influence on my trading power into RCI? I have been told it does by sales reps but only as a statement that it does but not explained exactly how.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
Mine does not. The resorts in RCI have figured out how much they value BlueGreen points vs welk vs Marriott vs whatever.
I would just spend a lot of time searching around a popular location like Orlando, Vegas, Hawaii, or Branson under the "vacation exchange" tab/search. Click on available units at a resort you like and see how many of your points they want to let you stay there.
There will still be an exchange fee, so keep that in mind.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
yes, my listed RCI points when I am on the RCI website equal the number of unrestricted Bluegreen points I have. With this setup, does my unit and week dates associated with my Bluegreen points have an influence on my trading power into RCI? I have been told it does by sales reps but only as a statement that it does but not explained exactly how.
The sales rep will say that location affects trading power if he thinks he can convince you that the location he is currently selling seems like it might, but in reality with the exception of holiday inn points that are directly tied to rci points, owners that exchange through portals get the average trading power of the units the developer deposits. So if you have 15,000 Bluegreen points associated with Big Cedar summer 2 BR and another owner has 15,000 Bluegreen points associated with 5 offseason studio weeks in Orlando they will trade exactly the same.

Bluegreen points don't equal RCI points. If you deposit or exchange 8000 bluegreen points through RCI they are worth 8000 bluegreen points deposited in RCI. They use a grid based on size and season to determine the number of points. The grid is a developer/rci negotiated price and probably similar between developers but some get discounts and better exchange deals vs mf for those points than others.

matt0o

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Big Cedar
The sales rep will say that location affects trading power if he thinks he can convince you that the location he is currently selling seems like it might, but in reality with the exception of holiday inn points that are directly tied to rci points, owners that exchange through portals get the average trading power of the units the developer deposits. So if you have 15,000 Bluegreen points associated with Big Cedar summer 2 BR and another owner has 15,000 Bluegreen points associated with 5 offseason studio weeks in Orlando they will trade exactly the same.

This makes sense. thanks for clarifying that.

Bluegreen points don't equal RCI points. If you deposit or exchange 8000 Bluegreen points through RCI they are worth 8000 Bluegreen points deposited in RCI.

can you clarify what you mean here? I'm reading that you saying that Bluegreen does not equal RCI, but then you say 8000 Bluegreen points = 8000 RCI points.

Side note: I noticed you're from Maryland and I recognize the blue crabs in the picture. I'm a Maryland native and catching and eating Maryland blue crab has always been one of my favorite past times since i was a kid.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas

can you clarify what you mean here? I'm reading that you saying that Bluegreen does not equal RCI, but then you say 8000 Bluegreen points = 8000 RCI points.
When you deposit your bluegreen points into RCI they don't become RCI points. They still remain bluegreen points in rci and you rely on your conversion grid as to how many points something would cost in bluegreen points.

RCI made up a points system for resorts that didn't already have their own internal points system. This would allow resorts that originally sold as traditional weeks to have the benefits like shorter stays and points back if you booked a smaller unit or a lower season. RCI negotiated points amounts for resorts that were "selling conversions" or selling already converted weeks. So Resort A in Orlando for 1BR might get 30,000 rci points for a week during prime season. Resort B might get 68,000 rci points for a one bedroom prime season week. Both of those resorts might also have weeks owners and a weeks owner at Resort A depositing that same week 10 months in advance might get 12 tpu's (trading power units) and the Resort B weeks owner might get 42 tpu's for that same week.
A bluegreen owner (with travelers plus) has access to all 4 weeks. For that owner all 4 weeks might cost 11,000 bluegreen points plus the rci exchange fee. If the BG owner doesn't have travelers plus they would only see the 2 weeks deposits and each should be that 11,000 points.

To make it even more complicated the RCI weeks owners that deposit and rci gets weeks that they are offering for 12 and 42 tpu's may give those owners more or less points for those weeks just because they can. So the Resort A owner might get 16 tpu's for depositing that week and the Resort B owner might get 36 tpu's for depositing that week.

This is the original BG conversion chart. I think that RCI does offer some discounts to those points listed depending on inventory. https://lg.bluegreenowner.com/MS/ResortImages/Bluegreen_RCI_01_15_2010.pdf

Last edited:
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts

Side note: I noticed you're from Maryland and I recognize the blue crabs in the picture. I'm a Maryland native and catching and eating Maryland blue crab has always been one of my favorite past times since i was a kid.
BlueGreen points like Welk points aren't the same as RCI points. Ours are points in the RCI system. We don't actually make deposits, the developer decides what is available to others on RCI based on how many available units they have at a given time.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
Listen to tschwa2. Disregard any conflicting or confusing info I give you.

matt0o

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Big Cedar
Thanks for the explanation tschwa2, I think I understand.

This is the original BG conversion chart. I think that RCI does offer some discounts to those points listed depending on inventory. https://lg.bluegreenowner.com/MS/ResortImages/Bluegreen_RCI_01_15_2010.pdf

based on the conversion chart, the Bluegreen point values are based on region and season and not necessarily the specific quality of a specific resort in the region? meaning all resorts in the same region for me would cost the same amount of points for a weeks stay?

nuwermj

TUG Member
Reaction score
6 months later we upgraded to 8,000 every year. our weeks listen in our contract are listed as 2348/25F and 2436B/45F. These are deeded at big cedar in Branson with wilderness club.

the break down of my maintenance fees are 645 for the week 25 unit and 171 for week 45. If I'm reading my contract right, they are both 1bd or studio.

You own points (or shares) of a pool of use-rights held in a trust fund. You do not own any deeds or real property. That's the way all Bluegreen points work.

A peculiarity of Bluegreen is that they keep records of every point and the deed it is tied to. Bluegreen then gives the point-owner the option to reserve that interval. This is called "priority time". The normal reservation window opens 11 months in advance. If you contact Bluegreen between 11 and 13 months ahead, you can reserve your priority time.

In your case your priority time is a studio unit in week 25 (worth 5,000 points) and another studio unit in week 45 (3,000 points).

Your 2019 annual fees are $360 + $0.0613 per point = $850.40

Bluegreen's billing statement is a bit arcane. They bill for each deed.

$0.0613 x 5000 = $306 + $360 = $666
$0.0613 x 3000 = $184

Then they add the fixed cost to only one of the deeds. (Your numbers $645 and $171 are 2018 fees.)

There is also a club dues of $139, billed separately.

matt0o

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Big Cedar
Your 2019 annual fees are $360 + $0.0613 per point = $850.40

Bluegreen's billing statement is a bit arcane. They bill for each deed.

$0.0613 x 5000 = $306 + $360 = $666
$0.0613 x 3000 = $184

Then they add the fixed cost to only one of the deeds. (Your numbers $645 and $171 are 2018 fees.)

There is also a club dues of $139, billed separately.

Is there some kind of setpoint value they can issue per deed. I have seen that breakdown on my Bluegreen page of my MF and feel like I get a double charge in there for not that many points. Is that normal to have multiple deeds on a single account?

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
Youve got two separate "weeks" so theyve gotta keep them divided in the records. On the surface it does look like another way that they end up charging you more.....

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
When you go thru the BG/RCI portal you see your BG points, they aren’t RCI points which is a different program. They remain BG points and you exchange them using the fixed crossover grid that was posted above. So a one bedroom in Florida is 11,000 BG points whether it is Disney Saratoga Springs or a motel conversion dump.

Annual BG points can be exchanged up to two years in the future. Saved BG points are restricted to exchanging 6 months out thru RCI.

Since you purchased thru BG with charter benefits and Travelers Plus, you have access to both RCI Weeks and RCI Points inventory. Many RCI Points inventory can be reserved for less than 7 days; example would be 3 nights at the Hilton Club.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Is there some kind of setpoint value they can issue per deed. I have seen that breakdown on my Bluegreen page of my MF and feel like I get a double charge in there for not that many points. Is that normal to have multiple deeds on a single account?
The more points you own, the lower the per point cost is.

Your current cost for 8,000 is $850. $10.62 per 1K

If you add10,000 resale the maint fee would be 10,000 x $0.0613 = $613
Total for 18,000 is $1463. $8.12 per 1K

Add another 10,000 resale $613
Total for 28,000 is $2076 $7.41 per 1K

Yes, very common to have multiple deeds on a single account. It is also common to have days rather than full weeks as many of the newer properties have high point values. Example, one day at the Manhattan Club is between 4,000/5,000. Same as a week at Big Cedar!

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
based on the conversion chart, the Bluegreen point values are based on region and season and not necessarily the specific quality of a specific resort in the region? meaning all resorts in the same region for me would cost the same amount of points for a weeks stay?
Yes, and it is very arbitrary how the seasons are assigned, just assume it will always be the highest number than be happy it is is less

matt0o

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Big Cedar
When you go thru the BG/RCI portal you see your BG points, they aren’t RCI points which is a different program. They remain BG points and you exchange them using the fixed crossover grid that was posted above. So a one bedroom in Florida is 11,000 BG points whether it is Disney Saratoga Springs or a motel conversion dump.

Am I right to see this as an advantage because I don't have to worry about having to trade weeks into RCI that have good trading power to get options?

So far, my wife and I have stayed at several Bluegreen resorts (paradise point, big cedar, the cliffs, falls village, fountains) using our Bluegreen points. we enjoy staying at somewhere different every time. therefore I really like the RCI exchange aspect. is there a way to permanently put my Bluegreen points into RCI in a way that I can build up a balance to save for a specific stay?

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Am I right to see this as an advantage because I don't have to worry about having to trade weeks into RCI that have good trading power to get options?

****YES.....there is no trade power, just a cross over grid ****

So far, my wife and I have stayed at several Bluegreen resorts (paradise point, big cedar, the cliffs, falls village, fountains) using our Bluegreen points. we enjoy staying at somewhere different every time. therefore I really like the RCI exchange aspect. is there a way to permanently put my Bluegreen points into RCI in a way that I can build up a balance to save for a specific stay?
No there is not.
And that will be the problem for you, with only 8,000 points per year you are very limited with RCI. Picking up a resale contract of 10,000-15,000 (for less than $1,500) will greatly enhance your vacation options. All your charter benefits will apply to the entire account.
Something to think about.

matt0o

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Big Cedar
No there is not.
And that will be the problem for you, with only 8,000 points per year you are very limited with RCI. Picking up a resale contract of 10,000-15,000 (for less than $1,500) will greatly enhance your vacation options. All your charter benefits will apply to the entire account.
Something to think about.

This is my plan, and you also answered a question I had but hadn't asked yet. I was wondering if resale points could be applied to my current charter through my initial buy.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is my plan, and you also answered a question I had but hadn't asked yet. I was wondering if resale points could be applied to my current charter through my initial buy.
Technically no....but practically yes. All points are treated the same.
You must make sure your new resale ownership is the same trust fund and sales type.
Since you are a fairly new owner, it would be trust fund E sales type A.

matt0o

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Big Cedar
Technically no....but practically yes. All points are treated the same.
You must make sure your new resale ownership is the same trust fund and sales type.
Since you are a fairly new owner, it would be trust fund E sales type A.

so i purchase resale bluegreen points from trust fund E and sales type A, will these points be accessed on the same account and way that my current ownership points are accessed?