• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Yellowstone’s Steamboat Geyser Is Gushing at a Record Pace

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel
Yellowstone’s Steamboat Geyser Is Gushing at a Record Pace
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/08/science/steamboat-geyser-yellowstone.html

By Jim Robbins / Science / The New York Times / nytimes.com / Feb. 8, 2019

“YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK, Wyo. — Late last year, Jeff Carter happened upon Steamboat Geyser, the tallest active geyser in the world, just before it erupted.

“It was so much louder, and higher and stronger than anything I had seen, almost frightening,” he said.

“People around us were so emotional, just cheering and roaring,” Mr. Carter said. “This old fellow who had it on his bucket list was so verklempt when the geyser erupted, it was neat.”

All but dormant for years, Steamboat is erupting fairly frequently these days and more people like Mr. Carter are getting to witness it.

While Old Faithful is a global icon of punctual eruption — it usually erupts every 90 minutes or so — it is the exception among geothermal features. Most of Yellowstone National Park’s 1,000 or so geysers are far more irregular and unpredictable.

Many geysers, like Steamboat, are quiet and then suddenly rouse. Steamboat sometimes jets water to heights of 300 to 400 feet — far higher than Old Faithful’s top height of 185 feet — for anywhere from a few minutes to about an hour.

After the jet of water in its eruption, Steamboat — in Norris Geyser Basin, the park’s hottest — goes into a ferocious, churning steam phase that can last for two days. On a recent visit early this month, Steamboat was shooting clouds of white steam in huge volumes, sounding like a jet engine or a giant foam steamer for a latte.

There were only very occasional eruptions until last March when Steamboat blasted off. It has been erupting every week or two since. It set an all time record with 32 eruptions in 2018, besting its total of 29 set in 1964. It has continued that pace of eruptions in 2019 and last erupted on Feb. 1....”
27A3258E-77B8-4426-ABF1-14EC016109C5.jpeg

The steam phase of Steamboat Geyser
Photo: ZeroHedge

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
I learned a new word, "verklempt." Thanks!

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thanks for the article. We'll be in Yellowstone in September. I hope it'll still be active then! :thumbup:

Dave

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the article. We'll be in Yellowstone in September. I hope it'll still be active then! :thumbup:

Dave
I beat ya. We'll be there in 2 weeks. The big outing will be the 1930s snow coach into the park. They go to both Norris (Canyon) and Old Faithful. Last time into the Park, Steamboat had been just idling for about 40 years. If there is a chance to see it in all its glory, we'll divert over that way.

Jim

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I beat ya. We'll be there in 2 weeks. The big outing will be the 1930s snow coach into the park. They go to both Norris (Canyon) and Old Faithful. Last time into the Park, Steamboat had been just idling for about 40 years. If there is a chance to see it in all its glory, we'll divert over that way.

Jim

Sounds great!! If you do go, and it’s going off, please take pictures and post them here. For as many times as I’ve seen Steamboat Geyser, it’s never done more than percolate a bit.

Dave

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Jim

I love yellowstone in winter..have done the snowcoach and snowmobile. It was interesting cross country skiing around Old Faithful with all the bison milling around.

Our next trip is July..DH loves to Flyfish the Madison.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I have in Yellowstone just as the roads were opening up. So it is winter and it is NOT. I have been there the last week of April. It was a week after the road to West Yellowstone opened. And while we were there the opened the road to Lake Yellowstone. One of the last roads to open is usually the stretch from Old Faithful over to the Tetons. That doesn't open until early to mid May. The road from the north entrance to Old Faithful and from the North Entrance through Lamar Valley stays open year round. The West, South and East entrances are closed to cars in the winter, but snow vehicles are permitted.

Certainly winter in the higher passes. But the big valley like Lamar would completely free of snow for the most part.

Mike Myers based his Linda "I'm Verklempt" Richmond character on this MIL. I love the episode with Madonna and Mike Myers when Barbara Streisand showed up unexpectedly (7:20).

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Now I’m verklempt. Talk amongst yourselves. I’ll give a topic. Yellowstone’s Steamboat Geyser is neither steam nor a boat. Discuss.

Good one. If I was another SNL cast member, I could say, "Now, isn't that special!" :)

Dave

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have visited the park in all seasons. It's a magical place. It's difficult to plan ahead for when various sections of road will open in Spring. We tried one time to make lap over Memorial Day Weekend and ended up tailgating a picnic as the table had 6 feet of snow on it. This week is on bonus time from Trading Places. We figure that if we camp in the TS unit and watch the fireplace and the snow outside with a coach ride or two, it'll make a nice winter break. The coach drivers know where the wildlife hangs out and there is a really good elk/bison chili at Old Faithful Inn. They'll also know Steamboat's status. It also helps to live just 4 hours away.

Jim

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
<<< Jealous. :)

Dave

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
As much as I love Alaska and especially Denali National Park, I started going to Yellowstone (almost annually) to get a fix when I couldn't get to Alaska. Yellowstone is far too busy for me with tourists, but I still brave the crowds and make the best of it.

This year, I'll be lucky enough to do both . . . Yellowstone in May and Alaska's inside passage ports in July!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
As much as I love Alaska and especially Denali National Park, I started going to Yellowstone (almost annually) to get a fix when I couldn't get to Alaska. Yellowstone is far too busy for me with tourists, but I still brave the crowds and make the best of it.

This year, I'll be lucky enough to do both . . . Yellowstone in May and Alaska's inside passage ports in July!
We are truly loving our National Parks to death. I have no answers, and have no desire to restrict entrance to a select few, chosen by their ability to pay. All that results in is yet another Disney. Still, it's disheartening to go to the Park and find the parking lots choked with dozens of tour buses filled to capacity with people who just a few years ago were not allowed to see such wonders. On a personal note, this is one reason we are going to Yellowstone during Winter. (top secret: We'll be there in July, too)

Enjoy your visit, Von, and your non-cruise cruise, too.

Jim

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
We have visited the park in all seasons. It's a magical place. It's difficult to plan ahead for when various sections of road will open in Spring. We tried one time to make lap over Memorial Day Weekend and ended up tailgating a picnic as the table had 6 feet of snow on it. This week is on bonus time from Trading Places. We figure that if we camp in the TS unit and watch the fireplace and the snow outside with a coach ride or two, it'll make a nice winter break. The coach drivers know where the wildlife hangs out and there is a really good elk/bison chili at Old Faithful Inn. They'll also know Steamboat's status. It also helps to live just 4 hours away.

Jim

Is this heaven?

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are truly loving our National Parks to death. I have no answers, and have no desire to restrict entrance to a select few, chosen by their ability to pay. All that results in is yet another Disney. Still, it's disheartening to go to the Park and find the parking lots choked with dozens of tour buses filled to capacity with people who just a few years ago were not allowed to see such wonders. On a personal note, this is one reason we are going to Yellowstone during Winter. (top secret: We'll be there in July, too)

Enjoy your visit, Von, and your non-cruise cruise, too.

Jim

Thank you Jim! I hope you guys enjoy your trip(s) too!

I'm always fascinated and interested in Yellowstone in the winter. I hope to do it some day.

As for the park crowds, I agree that it's going to be difficult to control or limit the numbers of people inside the park. I have enjoyed going very early in the season (1st week of June in 2017 and late May last year) . . . which is why I'm opting for 5/20-5/25 again this year.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Going in May there was so little tourists it was awesome.

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

I am so glad we didn't have those crowds when we visited Yellowstone (mid-Sept in 2011). We were in the park by 9 am everyday- except when we had dinner in the evening at Old Faithful Inn. And we had no issues driving through it to the Tetons for a day trip with some stops, including the Yellowstone Lake and hotel.

I mean- there were certainly people and some tour buses, but nothing we couldn't deal with- and trust me- I HATE crowds.

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Jim

Jim We lived in Rigby for 10years in the 80"s...about 2 hours away. It was so nice back then....anytime we felt like going we would just call and make a reservation to stay that weekend...now you have to book a year in advance to stay in the park. We have stayed at every one of the different accommodations and in all seasons. The ski club usually made a winter trip. Now we are 7-8 hours away and only go once a year ....Sept used to be our favorite time but the last time we went it was still really crowded.

We were surprised when we went to Ranier..they meter the cars...they keep count ad only let a certain number in, then you wait till some come out. Maybe yellowstone will start something like that.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were surprised when we went to Ranier..they meter the cars...they keep count ad only let a certain number in, then you wait till some come out. Maybe yellowstone will start something like that.
They will ultimately have to do something. There are so many international guests that the parking areas anywhere near thermal features just about need shuttles. The lots around Old Faithful & Canyon are just crammed with buses so you have to wait while one pulls out in order to park. And the big motorhomes don't help either. You need to reserve an in-the-park campsite over a year in advance. The week we own there (29) is about the peakest of the peak, and there is plenty to do outside the Park. I fish. DW paints and we have places where we get away from the crowds. It's not too hard. 95% won't get out of their cars and you can only see 3 % of the park from ANY road.

Jim

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
Going in May there was so little tourists it was awesome.

That's changed in the last year or so. We were there in early May last year and the place was pretty crowded. The timeshare we were at (WM) had to staff way up much earlier than in the past. For that year, I was able to pick up a few days in early May with only a few months notice. This year, it booked up from early May a year in advance.
The roads were open west and north but not the Lake or the roads on the east side. The crowds at Old Faithful were similar to what it used to be in the summer so now the summer must be insane. Lot's of people out looking at critters with lots of critter jams. We are loving our National Parks to death and not providing the staff needed to protect it.

Sue

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am so glad we didn't have those crowds when we visited Yellowstone (mid-Sept in 2011). We were in the park by 9 am everyday- except when we had dinner in the evening at Old Faithful Inn. And we had no issues driving through it to the Tetons for a day trip with some stops, including the Yellowstone Lake and hotel.

I mean- there were certainly people and some tour buses, but nothing we couldn't deal with- and trust me- I HATE crowds.

You know it's bad when the parking lot access is closed to certain areas . . . Norris (where Steamboat Geyser is located) is one area that if you get there after 10am, there's a good chance you won't be allowed in to park.