• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Disney’s Riviera Resort Update [merged]

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
MEMBER MAIL: HOT OFF THE PRESS

DISNEY'S RIVIERA
RESORT
UPDATE

Dear Disney Vacation Club® Member

Since Disney’s Riviera Resort was first announced in July 2017, our Members have continually asked to be kept informed about the newest Resort. With that in mind, we wanted you to be among the first to hear some exciting updates. Construction is progressing extremely well on our new proposed Disney Vacation Club Resort, and it’s currently on schedule to open in Fall 2019.

When it opens its doors, Disney’s Riviera Resort will offer all the grandeur of Europe combined with the magic of Disney. The new Resort will be conveniently located in the heart of Walt Disney World® Resort, and feature unique access to Epcot® and Disney’s Hollywood Studios®, via the new Disney Skyliner.

Important information for Disney Vacation Club Members:
  • This Spring, Members can begin booking stays at Disney’s Riviera Resort with Vacation Points, accessing exclusive, protected inventory which is being held just for our Members. Exact timing will be shared once the official opening date is confirmed.
In the interim, Disney’s Riviera Resort will begin taking rental reservations from the general public this month. To learn more about the new Resort, watch the Disney Parks Blog and follow Disney Vacation Club on Facebook and Instagram for updates.

We look forward to welcoming our newest Resort!

Disney Vacation Club

B37905D052A8317826EFBB2FB1DBFB30.png

blondietink

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Saratoga Springs; Sheraton Vistana Villages St. Augustine; Westin Adventuras
You beat me. Just got the email a while ago.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I was thinking that if DVC added a resort in the Bahamas or Caribbean, even if you could only use your points at one location, I think it would be an instant success at almost any price. I know I would buy it direct the day it went up for sale. Riviera and Reflections...not interested in owning but I will use my existing points to trade in later this year, I hope. Maybe the Mouse will trick me into buying. If the Mouse’s lips are moving, what does that mean? ;)

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
We hope to use our points there too, but we’re not in the market to buy! Just hoping we have enough points — I expect it to be expensive in terms of points per night, not to mention $ per point.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
yep! I can't bring myself to pay 30+ points (prime time) for Poly or VGF studio.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was thinking that if DVC added a resort in the Bahamas or Caribbean, even if you could only use your points at one location, I think it would be an instant success at almost any price.
I'm not sure...they started selling Aulani almost nine years ago and it still isn't sold out. Aulani *has* been an instant success as a reason to drive sales at WDW - "You can even vacation in Hawaii!" - but not in its own right.

'Back in the day' people were much more relaxed about when they booked and so the idea that you could go anywhere with your points was much more true. But now 'everyone' knows to book at home at 11 months and then try to trade at 7. I think this change - even more than high MFs - is the reason for the depressed prices at HHI and Vero. No one wants to buy DVC and then be 'locked out' of WDW.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We hope to use our points there too, but we’re not in the market to buy! Just hoping we have enough points — I expect it to be expensive in terms of points per night, not to mention $ per point.

I think it will not be any more expensive than Copper Creek or Grand Floridian (at the worst case). I suspect they will launch a little higher than Cooper Creek’s current price but not as high as the legacy resorts.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
yep! I can't bring myself to pay 30+ points (prime time) for Poly or VGF studio.

I would not pay that either for a studio. That is close to 1 BR prices.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm not sure...they started selling Aulani almost nine years ago and it still isn't sold out. Aulani *has* been an instant success as a reason to drive sales at WDW - "You can even vacation in Hawaii!" - but not in its own right.

'Back in the day' people were much more relaxed about when they booked and so the idea that you could go anywhere with your points was much more true. But now 'everyone' knows to book at home at 11 months and then try to trade at 7. I think this change - even more than high MFs - is the reason for the depressed prices at HHI and Vero. No one wants to buy DVC and then be 'locked out' of WDW.

I think Caribbean/Bahamas would be successful because 1) I have heard more DVC members live on the East Coast, and 2) they could tie it in with their cruises and private island.

Hawaii is expensive and too far for most DVC members and has no link to Disney. I suspect one day Aulani will be among their premier resorts. It is absolutely beautiful and nicely themed and feels more authentic than other resorts.

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Got the email. Definitely want to try to stay here. Still have a few more to stay in.........

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Riviera...not interested in owning but I will use my existing points to trade in later this year, I hope. Maybe the Mouse will trick me into buying.
You never know...maybe the Riviera will be awesome and the Skyliner will be cool (in both senses).

I've been thinking about all the hoopla surrounding the Riviera resale announcement (goodness knows I've added my share) and realized that I've never actually used my BCV and BLT points anywhere but BCV and BLT. I stayed at VWL paying cash (which got me to buy DVC) and I once rented points for a short stay at AKV. Maybe buyers of Riviera won't want to stay anywhere else?

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You never know...maybe the Riviera will be awesome and the Skyliner will be cool (in both senses).

I've been thinking about all the hoopla surrounding the Riviera resale announcement (goodness knows I've added my share) and realized that I've never actually used my BCV and BLT points anywhere but BCV and BLT. I stayed at VWL paying cash (which got me to buy DVC) and I once rented points for a short stay at AKV. Maybe buyers of Riviera won't want to stay anywhere else?

Maybe. I have stayed at various DVCs but I primarily plan to stay at my home resorts. I may even sell some contracts and consolidate to one for Orlando and one for Hawaii. I am not all that interested in VGC even though we live in California, mainly because I do not like DL that much and also when we travel by car in California, we like to stay at dog friendly hotels.

If future resale buyers of the new DVC resorts buy where they want to stay, then perhaps the new resorts won’t take a huge beating in the resale market. Many Hawaii brand name TSs that are oceanfront are still expensive, even in resale. It may end up like Hawaii.

I am hearing chatter than people may add on some small contracts to use exclusively at Riviera. The DVC Guide told me that won’t be needed for anyone who can trade in at 7 months because it will be a huge resort with a lot of availability.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Are there any construction photos of the resort ?

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Are there any construction photos of the resort ?
I do not wish to be churlish...but if you search for 'Disney Riviera Construction' you'll see lots of photos under images. You can also go to the usual Disney info sites (wdwmagic, etc.) to see updates on the construction.

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think it will not be any more expensive than Copper Creek or Grand Floridian (at the worst case). I suspect they will launch a little higher than Cooper Creek’s current price but not as high as the legacy resorts.

Yes, but we think Copper Creek and VGF prices are unbelievable and the legacy resorts beyond outrageous, lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Historically new resort are launched at the same price as other resorts in active sales, usually with a preconstruction often in the $15 pp range depending on specifics, a couple were just at a lower price than the other resorts in active sales. I don't recall one that was at a higher price than the other resorts in active sales at the time. It'll be interesting how the spin the new resort given the rumored limitations but I'm sure they'll use the angles to their advantage for sales, as they should.

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
Riviera is showing on Disneyworld.com for December cash bookings. There are tower studios that sleep 2. Interesting! I used early December dates to get the resort to show. Also see preferred and standard view studios that sleep up to 5.

Last edited:

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Even more interesting (to me at least) it that it features a murphy bed! - "Tower Studio - 1 Queen-Size Pull Down Bed"

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
5E0EF1BB-AA77-442F-87F0-BF7C3755A5FA.jpeg
Room decor reminds me of Bay Lake Tower

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DH and I agree the 2-person Tower Studio would be fine for a couple of nights but not for an entire week. Looking forward to seeing the DVC points chart for Riviera - maybe we can afford those 2 nights!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
Although the location doesn't appeal to me much I do want to at least stay there once.
I hope they do like they did with GF and open the units up for booking when it goes online.
That's the best time to try them out before the rooms get all beaten up by the renters. LOL

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.

Go in the off season and it's only 20 points a night and just as nice. ;)

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The sketches look beautiful. It looks sort of like Grand Luxxe in Mexico or some of the Westin styles to me. It looks like a mix of contemporary with a few retro style touches in the curtains and the chandelier, even some of their chairs look a bit retro to me. The chairs have a 1960s look, the curtains and chandelier looks about 1920s (made me think Art Deco but not quite sure) with sort of a glamorous look. It looks eclectic but it pulls together nicely.