• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

About to Cancel - Advice? Comments?

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Beach Street Cottages, Destin
We have been Wyndham owners since 1996 and upgraded once since then. We currently have 220,500 points with Beach Street Cottages in Destin as our home base. Over the years we've had great vacations & been pleased. We visited last week & attended a preview, i.e. sales pitch. We were thinking it might be time to upgrade since we are now both retired and don't have set schedules to work around. Of course, after the hours we spent there & deciding to buy a contract, now we are home & having second thoughts & are about to cancel. Here's what we were offered for $17,074: to purchase an additional 84,000 points, and also receive 116,000 Bonus Points for 2 years, putting us in VIP Silver just for those 2 years and a year in Wyndham Perks. So for 2 years we can get the VIP perks, which means access to several Worldmark resorts, which we currently don't have at the current 220,500 level. We figured it might be worth it to do that for 2 years and have the access for the Worldmark resorts. Now that we're home, we are seriously considering cancelling and buying resale next year. Is it really worth it to be VIP Silver? The points we have work okay for us and I'm no longer comfortable spending the 17 grand to update. Wise idea to cancel? Or stay with this contract & buy resale later on for additional points? Thanks for your comments!

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
If you are unsure, it is always wise to cancel. You only have a certain number of days to cancel, but they will allow you to buy any number of days in the future.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you want to add more points to your portfolio, why not buy resale? Save thou$and$ and from what I understand retail/resale points are just points in the system.

Jim

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you want to add more points to your portfolio, why not buy resale? Save thou$and$ and from what I understand retail/resale points are just points in the system.

Jim
Thanks, Jim, that's our thinking right now too. We'll only have VIP for 2 years anyway & resale doesn't get us VIP either. Just mulling over if it's worth it or not. Plus now there are so many choices for traveling, not just hotels, but VRBO and air bnb too, and with all those points, we feel obligated to use Wyndham.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Thanks, Jim, that's our thinking right now too. We'll only have VIP for 2 years anyway & resale doesn't get us VIP either. Just mulling over if it's worth it or not. Plus now there are so many choices for traveling, not just hotels, but VRBO and air bnb too, and with all those points, we feel obligated to use Wyndham.
You might also want to consider adding a different system to your portfolio to expand your choices. I belong to hgvc and love it. Being your retired, you can take trips Monday to Friday and it will stretch your points greatly as weekdays require a lot less points then weekends.

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rescind and save $16K. You can buy several times the amount of points for under $1000.

As for Beach Street Cottages, we're spending most of the winter there this year. Nice units for little points, and the gulf across the street.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Rescind and save $16K. You can buy several times the amount of points for under $1000.

As for Beach Street Cottages, we're spending most of the winter there this year. Nice units for little points, and the gulf across the street.

@CharileWanders - what 55plus said is spot on.

Rescind now, and you can get this for much less on the resale market.

As an aside, I recall our vacation to Beach Street Cottages - we went during a quieter time and really enjoyed it. It is a nice little place if you can embrace the bunk bed approach.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You might also want to consider adding a different system to your portfolio to expand your choices. I belong to hgvc and love it. Being your retired, you can take trips Monday to Friday and it will stretch your points greatly as weekdays require a lot less points then weekends.
What is hgvc?

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Thanks! We do like Beach Street Cottages, especially in the fall & winter.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@CharileWanders - what 55plus said is spot on.

Rescind now, and you can get this for much less on the resale market.

As an aside, I recall our vacation to Beach Street Cottages - we went during a quieter time and really enjoyed it. It is a nice little place if you can embrace the bunk bed approach.
Thanks! We do like Beach Street Cottages & fortunately don't need the bunk beds!

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
I would say to rescind and to take the money and buy a small Worldmark membership. That should run you $2-3k, and open up a lot of different options. I would say it is the perfect solution for retirees as they have so many cash booking options that are perfect for the off-season travel.

The only way I would stick with your current purchase is if you were bringing in a PIC Plus week that would make your VIP status permanent.

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
The bunk beds are a great place for putting luggage, etc., or children if you bring them.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Update: sent our rescind letter certified & return receipt on Monday. Walked out of the post office feeling a huge weight lifted. Definitely the right thing to do! We really appreciate all the advice and suggestions on this forum. Very glad we found TUG. We're going to take our time in deciding the next step for more points, most likely by resale sometime next year, probably toward the end of the year. For now we'll be content with what we have and look forward to traveling next year and see how it goes with where we can go with our points. Happy travels to everyone in 2019!

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
Congrats on exercising your right to take the time to make an informed decision.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Update: sent our rescind letter certified & return receipt on Monday. Walked out of the post office feeling a huge weight lifted. Definitely the right thing to do! We really appreciate all the advice and suggestions on this forum. Very glad we found TUG. We're going to take our time in deciding the next step for more points, most likely by resale sometime next year, probably toward the end of the year. For now we'll be content with what we have and look forward to traveling next year and see how it goes with where we can go with our points. Happy travels to everyone in 2019!

If you know you want more points right now is a good time to buy resale because of the time of year. Or remember this for next year at this time if you aren't interested now.

But start now keeping an eye on eBay for a low maintenance fee deed. Anything under $5.50 per thousand with the program fee included in that is good and closer to $5.25-5.00 is even better. There are a few resorts with maintenance fees under $5.00 per thousand points which are the best. Take a look at what is for sale on eBay and add a few that sound interesting to your watch list to see how the bidding goes. EBay will send you an email to remind you the auction is ending in a few hours. When it gets down to the final minute you could put in a bid. You never know, you might pick up an amazing deal.

I got the best deal I will likely ever get when I wasn't even intending to buy. I happened to see it when I was checking out something else a friend wanted my opinion on. It was ending in a few minutes so I put in a bid never thinking I stood a chance of getting it but I did. I blamed my friend for leading me into temptation because I had absolutely no intention of buying more points. I wasn't happy about having to tell my husband what I'd done but he doesn't handle our timeshares and just assumed I thought we needed more points for some reason and that I knew what I was doing. The seller had a buy one get one deal and the next day when I called to ask questions about what was available I ended up with two free ones. One was a Wyndham points deed they had just gotten in that is an even better resort to own at than what I'd bought. And the guy gave me a second bogo too that was a small every other year at a resort in RCI which will be the one we keep if we get rid of everything else we have with RCI. So my impulse, what in the world was I thinking, buy turned out to be the best buy I'm likely to ever make.

Sumday sells on eBay but they also have their own website so take a look at what they have too and you can give them a call to see what new deeds they have in that aren't listed yet. also keep an eye on the Marketplace here on TUG and the Bargain Deals under the Buying, Selling, Renting forum.

Last edited:

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)

Congrats on the rescind! Sounds like it was the right move for you. I rescinded and then used PIC to end up with 718k annual points and 590k bonus points. So I'm permanent VIPG with VIPP through Sept 2020. I spent about 28k out of pocket all total (210k in annual CWA points, plus 508k in PIC points annually = 718k points). PIC is the best way to get to VIP levels IMHO, as opposed to spending much larger up front amounts of mass point purchases. If you ever decide to revisit another points purchase, check into PIC Plus, it's definitely worth it IME.

happyhopian

Reaction score
When the new system rolled out it seemed that new inventory would show up early in the mornings but I've been watching and I don't see any changes in the mornings from about 5am -9am when I have been able to watch more consistently over the last two weeks. Has anyone noticed any time period in which inventory comes into the system.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
I didn’t see anyone else mention this, but you do currently have access to WorldMark at your current level, provided the original points were purchase retail. If they were, take that off the list of things you would gain buy spending $17k because you already have it. Also, for that much, you can get 105,000 points through telesales along with bonus points. Maybe even a small cash rebate.

That said, unless you want to add in to the number of points you want to use for club pass (resale points cannot be used for Club Pass), or you want to eventually go permanent VIP, there is no sense buying retail. You already have plus partners with RCI nightly stays from your original retail purchase. VIP is the only thing you’d gain with retail. You have traveled enough by now, to have a real idea on how many of those VIP benefits to can realistically use. A lot of newbies do their best to estimate, but only experience tells them for sure, if they can use all the benefits. If VIP is your end goal, buy from Telesales. They are way cheaper. Not as cheap as resale, but cheaper then the resorts. Buying points from resorts is like buying souvenirs at the parks where costs are much higher.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
When the new system rolled out it seemed that new inventory would show up early in the mornings but I've been watching and I don't see any changes in the mornings from about 5am -9am when I have been able to watch more consistently over the last two weeks. Has anyone noticed any time period in which inventory comes into the system.

Someone told me it varies by resort. I know Bonnet creek pops up at 8:30ish

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Someone told me it varies by resort. I know Bonnet creek pops up at 8:30ish

It might be observation bias, I am seeing a similar trend. It is almost like the cancelled inventory has to be reviewed at the resort level before it goes back into inventory.

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
It might be observation bias, I am seeing a similar trend. It is almost like the cancelled inventory has to be reviewed at the resort level before it goes back into inventory.
It's probably more like Extra Holidays reviews the cancellation and keep the good ones for their rentals.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It's probably more like Extra Holidays reviews the cancellation and keep the good ones for their rentals.
Given the cap on their ability to take inventory out, I dont think that is it.