• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rescind and buy on secondary or keep developer deal?

jhw4847bw

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations Grand Islandert
I bought a HGV Grand Islander (HI) 1 BR for $48K and got 7,200 points plus some bonus points. I am a points buyer not a resort buyer. Biggest reason for buying is to spend a couple of months each year in Portugal and other European resorts.

It is pretty clear not a better deal is available on the used market but wondering two things:
1- how do you find a legit secondary deal and am I better off getting a lawyer (Experienced in TS) to manage the deal?

2- how much grief am I going to get from HGV for rescinding?

Thanks

BONUS QUESTION: anyone buy the American Express Hilton Aspire card ($450/yr)? I would buy it for the Hilton Diamond designation but wondering what others think.

Thanks

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
I bought a HGV Grand Islander (HI) 1 BR for $48K and got 7,200 points plus some bonus points.

Thanks

Rescinding is like returning clothes to a store because you decided to .
You do not have to give them a reason .

Just follow the instructions - 100 % . / included dated receipt from USPS when mailed etc.

DO NOT : go back and speak to sales / It is just an opportunity for grief .

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
I bought a HGV Grand Islander (HI) 1 BR for $48K and got 7,200 points plus some bonus points. I am a points buyer not a resort buyer. Biggest reason for buying is to spend a couple of months each year in Portugal and other European resorts.

It is pretty clear not a better deal is available on the used market but wondering two things:
1- how do you find a legit secondary deal and am I better off getting a lawyer (Experienced in TS) to manage the deal?

Thanks

BONUS QUESTION: anyone buy the American Express Hilton Aspire card ($450/yr)? I would buy it for the Hilton Diamond designation but wondering what others think.

Thanks

1a. You will find better deals on the resale market. Timeshares aren’t used like a car. You are just buying the right to use, not the actual unit. You will never know what unit you own and someone will have already stayed in your room. I found a 7000 point 2 bedroom platinum at the Flamingo for $4500. If you aren’t worried about where you stay, Las Vegas would be your best bet. You can find a 7000 point 2 bedroom platinum units for around $1 a point ( and that should pass ROFR). These would have MF’s between $810 and $1000.

1b. No, you don’t need a lawyer. Use a reputable agent (Judi Koz, Seth Nock, Diane Nadeau) or find one on Redweek.com, myresortnetwork.com or here on our Tug marketplace.

2. HGVC will try to convince you to stop you from recinding, don’t fall for it. Don’t call them or answer your phone from an unknown. Send your letter in and wait for your deposit to be returned. It’s your right given to by the law. They have to recind if you do it properly (as told to you by your paperwork) and sent by certified mail within the allowed period for the state you bought in.

3. I know nothing of the Amex card you are referring to.

Don’t wait to send that letter in. It’s your only chance to save thousands of dollars.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort

Thanks

Thanks
Hi, welcome to Tug. So glad you found tug to rescind in time and saved $48,000.

There are many legit realtors that you can find resale with. Dayooper listed a few many tuggers used. There are also deals on eBay. Before bidding best to ask tuggers about the seller to make sure there is good feedback. Many times on the tug marketplace you can also find resales.

Last edited:

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Portugal is hard to get in during the summer if you don’t own there. You might want to think about where to own if you are based in Europe. There is a resale office for the properties in Scotland and they have a very favorable maint fee per point ratio.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

tombanjo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HCNY
check out the "points guy" or frequent flyer website for details on the amex card. HH is promoting it with 150K points now.

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score

Rescind this purchase. Follow the instructions. You do not have to speak to HGVC, so no grief will be involved. Send in your rescind letter immediately. Welcome to TUG. After you've taken the steps to rescind this purchase, come back and learn, ask questions, and make an informed purchase on the resale market.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
congrats on finding us in time to save a fortune!

Smclaugh99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Hilton Club

Thanks

I recently upgraded from regular HH Amex to the Aspire Amex. The Diamond status alone is worth it, plus 14x points at Hilton, 7x for travel, and 3x for everything else. That, plus $250 statement credit for purchases through Hilton and Priority Pass airport lounge access makes the $450 fee easier. It’s a better way to build up HHonors points than converting club points (even at 50:1).

Sean

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Biggest reason for buying is to spend a couple of months each year in Portugal and other European resorts.

If you plan to go several months each year to Portugal or Italy or Scotland, then I would recommend owning there. As already pointed out, Portugal is very hard (very limited) to book at certain times of the year for even those that own there.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm a Diamond member and unless I travel overseas. I don't see the benefit of being a Diamond member, other than the welcome I get at check-in (tongue in cheek).

Even domestically we've gotten: early check-in fees waived, late check-out, lounge access (where applicable domestically...admittedly not many places), breakfast (full at most places, while Gold would have an upcharge). But, yeah, definitely worth more overseas.

Cheers.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Note that this is only for Resort properties and does not apply to regular Hilton hotels.

Cheers.
Yes, and when they say resort properties they mean whatever they call RESORT not HGVC properties.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
I recently upgraded from regular HH Amex to the Aspire Amex. The Diamond status alone is worth it, plus 14x points at Hilton, 7x for travel, and 3x for everything else. That, plus $250 statement credit for purchases through Hilton and Priority Pass airport lounge access makes the $450 fee easier. It’s a better way to build up HHonors points than converting club points (even at 50:1).

Sean
Isn't there a $250 credit on airlines extras? Does that relate to baggage? What about purchasing seat upgrades like Hawaiian Airlines extra comfort seats that cost $140 ea?

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, and when they say resort properties they mean whatever they call RESORT not HGVC properties.
Yup. However, there are like 109 or so of them, so not hard to find.We've taken advantage of this at one place already and the Hilton Torrey Pines in San Diego (near relatives) is a resort as well.

Cheers.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Isn't there a $250 credit on airlines extras? Does that relate to baggage? What about purchasing seat upgrades like Hawaiian Airlines extra comfort seats that cost $140 ea?

Yup. That, too. And even some gift cards work :)

Cheers.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points

You have to select the airline in advance, and you can the change once a year. Most of the major airlines are included, however Hawaiian is not an Amex partner so the credit won't work with them.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
You have to select the airline in advance, and you can the change once a year. Most of the major airlines are included, however Hawaiian is not an Amex partner so the credit won't work with them.

Thanks for the correction (and sorry for my incorrect answer- was not aware of the partnership angle here). In general, fees such as he above would be included in this...but it has to be a partner airline :)

Cheers.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points

I have the Aspire card and was checking the benefits yesterday, as i am planning a couple of hotel trips. I noticed the eligible resort list now includes many, if not all of the HGVC resorts. That is a change from when the card was first rolled out. I not sure if my maintenance fees will count, that would be ideal. Otherwise there is pretty good chance I will spend $250 on food and drinks at an HGVC resort, particularly if i will be getting a credit back for it.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have the Aspire card and was checking the benefits yesterday, as i am planning a couple of hotel trips. I noticed the eligible resort list now includes many, if not all of the HGVC resorts. That is a change from when the card was first rolled out. I not sure if my maintenance fees will count, that would be ideal. Otherwise there is pretty good chance I will spend $250 on food and drinks at an HGVC resort, particularly if i will be getting a credit back for it.

Also (not as applicable to HGVC, but to other resorts), the actual room rate counts...as long as it is not done as a pre-paid rate, but all paid at check-out. I don't believe that the T&Cs explicitly say that, but this is what has been happening last time I read about it on Flyertalk. (Our trip was to Aruba on free nights/points...so we got about $234 of the $250 on drinks/snacks :))

Cheers.

coachBoris

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations Club Sea World
Hilton Grand Vacations Club Boulevard
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
1a. You will find better deals on the resale market. Timeshares aren’t used like a car. You are just buying the right to use, not the actual unit. You will never know what unit you own and someone will have already stayed in your room. I found a 7000 point 2 bedroom platinum at the Flamingo for $4500. If you aren’t worried about where you stay, Las Vegas would be your best bet. You can find a 7000 point 2 bedroom platinum units for around $1 a point ( and that should pass ROFR). These would have MF’s between $810 and $1000.

1b. No, you don’t need a lawyer. Use a reputable agent (Judi Koz, Seth Nock, Diane Nadeau) or find one on Redweek.com, myresortnetwork.com or here on our Tug marketplace.

2. HGVC will try to convince you to stop you from recinding, don’t fall for it. Don’t call them or answer your phone from an unknown. Send your letter in and wait for your deposit to be returned. It’s your right given to by the law. They have to recind if you do it properly (as told to you by your paperwork) and sent by certified mail within the allowed period for the state you bought in.

3. I know nothing of the Amex card you are referring to.

Don’t wait to send that letter in. It’s your only chance to save thousands of dollars.
Diane Nadeu was great to work with when I bought a 2BR OS at ASC. I highly recommend her.