• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Elara ROFR

bevans

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
hgvc Flamingo, hgvc Paradise
I was wondering if the Elara which was not a built HGVC property has ROFR? Thanks, Curt

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't know the answer offhand, but suggest changing the title to something like "Elara ROFR" since this is just a very generic title and doesn't indicate what the thread is about, except the property.

Cheer.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Elara has ROFR both when sold as HGVC and when sold as an orphan Westgate non HGVC affiliate.

Josh M Dunne

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Elara, Anderson Club
Elara does have ROFR, but it wasn't exercised on my contract which was around $.73 a point for a platinum season 1BR.

Ckhawaii

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ocean Tower HGVC
Westin Lagunamar plat 2bd 3x
Westin Aventuras
Built by Westgate. Check out the documentary “Queen of Versailles”, which is about the wife and also the founder of Westgate. The building that is now Elara plays a part in the documentary.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I have seen a number of complaints within the FB groups that HGVC won't buy back units at Elara if you try and upgrade. Basically people claim HGVC sold them the Elara unit, but won't take it back in trade for a bigger point package elsewhere. I have not idea if that true, but if it is true, i wonder if they exercise ROFR even if they wont take units back as trade-in.

I have heard similar complaints on FB about lack of ability to trade-in some of the other resorts as well. Not really sure why that would be unless there is something about being a fee for service resort that precludes HGVC from taking the units back as a trade-in.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Built by Westgate. Check out the documentary “Queen of Versailles”, which is about the wife and also the founder of Westgate. The building that is now Elara plays a part in the documentary.

That was an amazing, yet really odd documentary.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
When we were in a presentation earlier this year the rep whipped out a paper that listed properties that they would buy back vs. those that they won't. In general, it appeared that affiliate properties were not available for buy back e.g. Sunrise, Elara, Grand Islander, Bay Club etc. They will take back traditional HGVC properties such as Blvd, Paradise, Lagoon, W57 etc. Probably has to do with the financial structure of the property.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
When we were in a presentation earlier this year the rep whipped out a paper that listed properties that they would buy back vs. those that they won't. In general, it appeared that affiliate properties were not available for buy back e.g. Sunrise, Elara, Grand Islander, Bay Club etc. They will take back traditional HGVC properties such as Blvd, Paradise, Lagoon, W57 etc. Probably has to do with the financial structure of the property.
Buy back as equity isn't necessarily the same as exercising ROFR.

vegasVIP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Vegas HHonors Diamond

Watched the "Queen of Versailles" and I highly recommend to anyone on the HGVC boards.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Watched the "Queen of Versailles" and I highly recommend to anyone on the HGVC boards.

I thought I had it on our list...and it was not there. Now at the top of the queue and coming next :)

Cheers.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Buy back as equity isn't necessarily the same as exercising ROFR.

I realize these are different events. My though process was that for whatever reason HGVC has for not wanting to acquire inventory via trade-ins, might also apply to the ROFR process.

I freely admit they may or not have any connection, just a theory on my part.

audirt

Reaction score
I have seen a number of complaints within the FB groups that HGVC won't buy back units at Elara if you try and upgrade. Basically people claim HGVC sold them the Elara unit, but won't take it back in trade for a bigger point package elsewhere. I have not idea if that true, but if it is true, i wonder if they exercise ROFR even if they wont take units back as trade-in.

I have heard similar complaints on FB about lack of ability to trade-in some of the other resorts as well. Not really sure why that would be unless there is something about being a fee for service resort that precludes HGVC from taking the units back as a trade-in.

I have a data point here. We successfully traded-in at Elara but we had to talk with Hilton a bit. We had a (basically useless) studio week in gold season at Elara (1700 points). About 18 months after the purchase, Hilton brought us in for a presentation and offered us an upgrade. We declined that day, thinking we could trade-in down the road.

Well, fast forward a few years and we're learning how truly useless a 1700pt ownership is. Hilton brings us in for another presentation and we ask about trying to trade in and upgrade. They claim that they offered us a one-time only option at the previous presentation. They (Hilton) claimed that was the only chance we were ever going to get to upgrade and receive equity for our trade, and that we had turned it down.

Well, maybe they told us that, maybe they didn't. I don't remember signing anything and, if we did, they didn't have it at their disposal. Given the crummy quality of so many Hilton reps, I don't think we'll ever know for sure. In any case, at the time, neither my wife nor I understood that we were being offered a one-time-only trade-in option. We told Hilton management as much.

I guess they could sense a "sell" if they would make a deal, so they offered us the option to trade-in if we signed some affidavit stating that we weren't aware of the time-sensitive nature of the offer we had in the previous presentation. We agreed. In the end they never asked us to sign any thing of the sort and our (useless) 1700 point ownership went away and we got a 7000pt ownership in its place. We still paid more than we needed to, but we got out of our previous mistake without having to do anything crazy like having the unit foreclosed upon.

(For anyone that's curious, we tried to return the unit but we didn't really know what we were doing. We were never able to successfully reach the developer. We tried to simply give the unit to HGVC but were refused. Yes, I realize we threw good money after bad, but at least we wound up with something useful in the end.)

holdaer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Parc Soleil, a HGVC
Paradise, a HGVC
Having something useful and something that you will enjoy for years to come is what's important. I bought from HGVC and once I realized I didn't have enough points I bought a 2BR resale. All in all, we are using the membership like crazy and love it. I believe owning a TS is like a country club membership, you pay to get in and you pay dues (like maintenance fees). The CC membership is worth it if used. If not, it's throwing away money for something not being used to it's full potential.

Learn HGVC system and plan to take amazing vacations and building memories.

Turk02

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Elara HGV
I have a data point here. We successfully traded-in at Elara but we had to talk with Hilton a bit. We had a (basically useless) studio week in gold season at Elara (1700 points). About 18 months after the purchase, Hilton brought us in for a presentation and offered us an upgrade. We declined that day, thinking we could trade-in down the road.

Well, fast forward a few years and we're learning how truly useless a 1700pt ownership is. Hilton brings us in for another presentation and we ask about trying to trade in and upgrade. They claim that they offered us a one-time only option at the previous presentation. They (Hilton) claimed that was the only chance we were ever going to get to upgrade and receive equity for our trade, and that we had turned it down.

Well, maybe they told us that, maybe they didn't. I don't remember signing anything and, if we did, they didn't have it at their disposal. Given the crummy quality of so many Hilton reps, I don't think we'll ever know for sure. In any case, at the time, neither my wife nor I understood that we were being offered a one-time-only trade-in option. We told Hilton management as much.

I guess they could sense a "sell" if they would make a deal, so they offered us the option to trade-in if we signed some affidavit stating that we weren't aware of the time-sensitive nature of the offer we had in the previous presentation. We agreed. In the end they never asked us to sign any thing of the sort and our (useless) 1700 point ownership went away and we got a 7000pt ownership in its place. We still paid more than we needed to, but we got out of our previous mistake without having to do anything crazy like having the unit foreclosed upon.

(For anyone that's curious, we tried to return the unit but we didn't really know what we were doing. We were never able to successfully reach the developer. We tried to simply give the unit to HGVC but were refused. Yes, I realize we threw good money after bad, but at least we wound up with something useful in the end.)

I'm in a very similar situation in that we have owned 2200 points for the past year. Love the program but that's obviously not enough to do anything with. Do you mind sharing how much you ended up paying for the upgrade.

Turk02

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Elara HGV
Having something useful and something that you will enjoy for years to come is what's important. I bought from HGVC and once I realized I didn't have enough points I bought a 2BR resale. All in all, we are using the membership like crazy and love it. I believe owning a TS is like a country club membership, you pay to get in and you pay dues (like maintenance fees). The CC membership is worth it if used. If not, it's throwing away money for something not being used to it's full potential.

Learn HGVC system and plan to take amazing vacations and building memories.

So do you own both or were you able to get rid of your original purchase? Do you feel it's a better deal to pay double maintenance by getting resale over biting the bullet and buying from HGV and trading?

holdaer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Parc Soleil, a HGVC
Paradise, a HGVC
So do you own both or were you able to get rid of your original purchase? Do you feel it's a better deal to pay double maintenance by getting resale over biting the bullet and buying from HGV and trading?

I own both. 1BR = 4,800pts and 2BR = 5,000pts for a total of 9,800pts to use annually. The number of points work out great. The resale purchase was relatively inexpensive and I saved a ton by not biting the bullet and buying from HGV again. To upgrade to a 3BR for 9,600pts would have cost me about $12,000 after trading in by 1BR. The resale was $3,000. So, I saved about $9,000 upfront. My maintenance fees are about $500 more than owning a 3BR. If my math is right, it will take about 18 years of paying maintenance fees before the value of purchasing a 3BR and trading with HGVC kicks in.

Everyone is different, and some may find it in their best interest to trade in their original purchase to upgrade to a higher point unit and maintain their eligibility to reach Elite status.

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I own both. 1BR = 4,800pts and 2BR = 5,000pts for a total of 9,800pts to use annually. The number of points work out great. The resale purchase was relatively inexpensive and I saved a ton by not biting the bullet and buying from HGV again. To upgrade to a 3BR for 9,600pts would have cost me about $12,000 after trading in by 1BR. The resale was $3,000. So, I saved about $9,000 upfront. My maintenance fees are about $500 more than owning a 3BR. If my math is right, it will take about 18 years of paying maintenance fees before the value of purchasing a 3BR and trading with HGVC kicks in.

Everyone is different, and some may find it in their best interest to trade in their original purchase to upgrade to a higher point unit and maintain their eligibility to reach Elite status.

I read what you wrote, and thought that you could put the $9k saved into something netting 5%, and you would make $450 per year from the savings... Making the difference in maintenance fees only $50.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
I read what you wrote, and thought that you could put the $9k saved into something netting 5%, and you would make $450 per year from the savings... Making the difference in maintenance fees only $50.[/QUOT

We have Elite Status and have gone to a number of presentations to trade in our 2 resale purchases that don't qualify for Elite Status to obtain Elite Premier. However, the cost would be over $40K and the maintenance would have gone up. We would have taken it if the cost was under $30K and lowered the maintenance by $1K per year. The savings of the $1K + the lower reservation fee, saving point fee, and 15% more discount on Open Season would have been worth it.

audirt

Reaction score
I'm in a very similar situation in that we have owned 2200 points for the past year. Love the program but that's obviously not enough to do anything with. Do you mind sharing how much you ended up paying for the upgrade.

Sorry for the delay. I've been offline for a couple of days.

"How much did I pay"? Through the nose, I paid $33k for a 1br premium in platinum season (I think) for a total of 7000 points. The maintenance fees are the saving grace for me, as they have been about $1100/yr so far (give or take).