• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Vacation Club - Secondary Market

tnpalms

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying a Marriott Vacation Club week on the secondary market. Has anyone had any experience (good or bad) with using a week purchased on the secondary market? I'm concerned that I might go to the bottom of the list with respect to availability and preferred unit assignments. How about with respect to Destination Points (Trust Points) on the secondary market?
Thanks.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
With Secondary market Resale weeks
Good = huge cost saving
Bad = I can’t really think of any, you have equal access and priority as if you had bought Developer weeks.
(I don’t own Trust points, others will comment on this.)
I'm thinking about buying a Marriott Vacation Club week on the secondary market. Has anyone had any experience (good or bad) with using a week purchased on the secondary market? I'm concerned that I might go to the bottom of the list with respect to availability and preferred unit assignments. How about with respect to Destination Points (Trust Points) on the secondary market?
Thanks.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, the only "bad" with secondary market for weeks is the inability to enroll it on demand at present. Here and there, there seem to be offers to enroll them (at a big expense). But who knows in the future. I have also seen people who have purchased from let's say an unreliable source and gotten cheated, say certain sellers on eBay. So, the ability to enroll (if that is important to you) is a possible issue.

Regarding trust points, as someone who has purchased resale points, they work no differently today than any other points. Again, who knows in the future but I would expect them to since there is a fee from Marriott when you buy resale. I would expect that fee ($3 per point) to mean they are getting me in as a full member. Same thing applies as with weeks, don't just send someone money hoping they will actually sell them. I have no worries at all with my resale points.

As bazzap says, the advantage is of course they are cheaper, generally a lot cheaper.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
On a humorous note, once you buy resale, everyone you attend a presentation they will tell you they are surprised that Marriott let that deal go through.

I have purchased resale on weeks and points. In terms of usage there is no difference in terms of priority. But as mentioned above you won’t be able to enroll the week unless there is some special promotion.

LUVourMarriotts

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MFV (P) 2002
MSU (G) 2006
MOW (P) 2018
Enrolled in DP +++
If points is an important factor to you, check out the weeks that are available on the MVC site: https://www.marriottvacationclub.com/resales/index.shtml and see if there is something you like there. The prices are probably higher than you can find elsewhere. But, if that week is enrolled by the existing owner, they will keep it enrolled for you if you buy that week. I had previously inquired about a OceanWatch week on their site, and since then I keep getting contacted about new weeks that are available that include points option.

jeepie

TUG Member
Reaction score
If points is an important factor to you, check out the weeks that are available on the MVC site: https://www.marriottvacationclub.com/resales/index.shtml and see if there is something you like there. The prices are probably higher than you can find elsewhere. But, if that week is enrolled by the existing owner, they will keep it enrolled for you if you buy that week. I had previously inquired about a OceanWatch week on their site, and since then I keep getting contacted about new weeks that are available that include points option.
Brady, is that something new? I have bought “bundles” where one must also purchase a matching number of points. If I understand what you are saying, this would not be required, correct?

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
So this implies that Marriott will extend enrollment to buyers of a week being sold by pre-2010 owners, that have already enrolled their week, and are selling via Marriott Resale brokerage.

Correct?... (even if sentence structure sucks. :)

Last edited:

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score

Who is your contact that is offering that? I have purchased from them with no such offer

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I contacted Marriott early this year, they said there was nothing I could buy from them that would be enrolled.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
I purchased 3 resales - one from from Marriott, one private and one from ebay. Zero problems using them or exchanging them. I have not purchased points but if you go that route, you should also have no issue. My suggestion is to surf this forum to learn all you can. You can decide if point or week meets your vacation style knowing that you should be treated as anyone else.

jhac007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ko Olina BC, Waioha BC, Crystal Shores (2 Gold), Kierland (Gold Plus), Ocean Pointe, Eagle's Nest, Vistana BC, Villas at Doral, Mizner Place, Windward Pointe, Star Island
Thanks.

Simply put, if you buy a resale week you will have the same opportunity to reserve your week if you do it at 12 months. Of course, if it is a popular holiday week there may be some that have multiple weeks and can reserve at the 13 month mark. Points are another story and can be very expensive!

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
On a humorous note, once you buy resale, everyone you attend a presentation they will tell you they are surprised that Marriott let that deal go through.

I have purchased resale on weeks and points. In terms of usage there is no difference in terms of priority. But as mentioned above you won’t be able to enroll the week unless there is some special promotion.
I purchased third party as well. While at a Marriott I exchanged into, they said they were surprised I was able to sign up for an owner's update. Outside of that comment and being put on a mid-level floor, I did not feel I was treated differently than home resort owners. I'm okay with that since I would expect home resort owners to get the higher floors. I presume owners who purchased internally at a different resort most likely get the same priority and range of floors as I do. When I've checked-in, they've acknowledged me as a Marriott owner and made me feel welcomed.

I've had no problems reserving my week and exchanging through II. I can't comment on priority at my home resort since I've used it as a dedicated trader. Although, I did stay at my home resort (Grand Chateau) on a standard hotel reservation during a business trip. At check-in, they acknowledged my ownership and put me on a high floor in a room that was recently renovated.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

The weeks sold by Marriott Resales come with the “option” to enroll, but to exercise that option you must buy a bundle of points equal to the point value of the week you buy. So if the week is worth 3500 points, you have to buy an additional 3500 points from Marriott at about $11+ per point. Unless there is something really new, there is no way to enroll without buying points.

LUVourMarriotts

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MFV (P) 2002
MSU (G) 2006
MOW (P) 2018
Enrolled in DP +++
I contacted Marriott via the 'Request Information' part of the site I linked. I was contacted and talked to them about a specific week, but it didn't end up being right for me. We talked about my other ownerships with Marriott, and why I was considering that week. The rep I spoke with said adding more points would be my best way to go, and I didn't disagree. I was then recently contacted by another rep (the particular rep probably isn't important) and they offered me this.

What I thought might work for you is a week in St. Kitts that is enrolled in the points program and is priced very low. First year occupancy is 2019. Maintenance fees for the week are $1,898.

Here are some examples of the purchase prices for the week, and the points they offer (prices do not include closing costs):
2,150 points for $15,100 or
2,400 points for $17,800 or
2,525 points for $19,100 or
2,775 points for $21,600

I do not know if they truly have 4 different weeks that were enrolled, or if they have 1 or 2 weeks and are willing to sell 4 of the 5 different view/villa combos available at St. Kitts. Maybe that resort was never "sold out", I have no idea. Either way, as you can see from the offer in the email, this is a week they are offering me, that is enrolled, and I would have the use of those points. They offered this to me because of the 'situation' that I described to them and the resort I would like to visit regularly, since we moved to NC. I hope that helps.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
I contacted Marriott via the 'Request Information' part of the site I linked. I was contacted and talked to them about a specific week, but it didn't end up being right for me. We talked about my other ownerships with Marriott, and why I was considering that week. The rep I spoke with said adding more points would be my best way to go, and I didn't disagree. I was then recently contacted by another rep (the particular rep probably isn't important) and they offered me this.

What I thought might work for you is a week in St. Kitts that is enrolled in the points program and is priced very low. First year occupancy is 2019. Maintenance fees for the week are $1,898.

Here are some examples of the purchase prices for the week, and the points they offer (prices do not include closing costs):
2,150 points for $15,100 or
2,400 points for $17,800 or
2,525 points for $19,100 or
2,775 points for $21,600

I do not know if they truly have 4 different weeks that were enrolled, or if they have 1 or 2 weeks and are willing to sell 4 of the 5 different view/villa combos available at St. Kitts. Maybe that resort was never "sold out", I have no idea. Either way, as you can see from the offer in the email, this is a week they are offering me, that is enrolled, and I would have the use of those points. They offered this to me because of the 'situation' that I described to them and the resort I would like to visit regularly, since we moved to NC. I hope that helps.
That makes more sense now. It has been reported several times that Aruba and St. Kitts weeks can be purchased via MVC as enrolled weeks as they are limited as to what they can do with them because they cannot be placed into the US based land Trust and sold as points. This deal would not apply to US resort weeks.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
I bought 3 Marriott weeks on the resale market. One on eBay, one on Redweek and one through Tug marketplace. The Tug sale was the smoothest, followed by eBay followed by Redweek (with re/max). I bought in Palm Desert. Two are white weeks, and one is a red week. In retrospect It might have made a little decision to have bought 2 red weeks. I love going to Palm Desert in the fall (white week) but the red weeks trade better.

I usually split my unit and trade the efficiency for a 1 or 2 BR in easy-to-trade locations. And trade the 1 BR for typically higher demand locations. I try to reserve Thanksgiving, which has a TDI of 125. Because I have two white weeks, I can reserve at the 13 month point. I am able to travel in the shoulder season so it works out well.

Google "Marriott timeshares without ROFR" and you'll find something like 8 locations that don't have a ROFR. Desert Springs 1 is one of them. The Grand Chateau has a ROFR but it isn't exercised very often and supposedly trades well. A friend bought a unit there for around $1K.

We have traded into a number of great timeshares using our three Marriotts. We are retired, so we prefer to travel for one-week durations, so the lure of being able to travel somewhere for a couple of days, doesn't appeal to me. My "all-in" costs of purchase and closing costs was under $7K. If I had purchased from Marriott I would have paid around $50 or 60K I think.

Another thing to consider is your eventual exit strategy. Luckily it is easy to dispose of or even sell your Marriott.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought 3 Marriott weeks on the resale market. One on eBay, one on Redweek and one through Tug marketplace. The Tug sale was the smoothest, followed by eBay followed by Redweek (with re/max). I bought in Palm Desert. Two are white weeks, and one is a red week. In retrospect It might have made a little decision to have bought 2 red weeks. I love going to Palm Desert in the fall (white week) but the red weeks trade better.

I usually split my unit and trade the efficiency for a 1 or 2 BR in easy-to-trade locations. And trade the 1 BR for typically higher demand locations. I try to reserve Thanksgiving, which has a TDI of 125. Because I have two white weeks, I can reserve at the 13 month point. I am able to travel in the shoulder season so it works out well.

Google "Marriott timeshares without ROFR" and you'll find something like 8 locations that don't have a ROFR. Desert Springs 1 is one of them. The Grand Chateau has a ROFR but it isn't exercised very often and supposedly trades well. A friend bought a unit there for around $1K.

We have traded into a number of great timeshares using our three Marriotts. We are retired, so we prefer to travel for one-week durations, so the lure of being able to travel somewhere for a couple of days, doesn't appeal to me. My "all-in" costs of purchase and closing costs was under $7K. If I had purchased from Marriott I would have paid around $50 or 60K I think.

Another thing to consider is your eventual exit strategy. Luckily it is easy to dispose of or even sell your Marriott.
There are 11 or 13 depending whether you split out Vail as 1 or 3 resorts, 12 (or 14) if you add in Ritz locations the last I saw. Other than St. Thomas and NJ, they are all the oldest resorts. Specific to this location DS I does not have ROFR but DS II does as I understand it. The time allows for ROFR varies from 10 to 15 to 30 days depending on the location (I believe trust pts are 30 days).

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are 11 or 13 depending whether you split out Vail as 1 or 3 resorts, 12 (or 14) if you add in Ritz locations the last I saw. Other than St. Thomas and NJ, they are all the oldest resorts. Specific to this location DS I does not have ROFR but DS II does as I understand it. The time allows for ROFR varies from 10 to 15 to 30 days depending on the location (I believe trust pts are 30 days).

On rofr.net, it shows this year a DSV failing ROFR, perhaps a typo and they meant DSV2? DSV2 definitely has ROFR as mine failed earlier this year.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
On rofr.net, it shows this year a DSV failing ROFR, perhaps a typo and they meant DSV2? DSV2 definitely has ROFR as mine failed earlier this year.
DSV I does not have ROFR as I understand it but II does.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
DSV I does not have ROFR as I understand it but II does.
Yes, that is confirmed in the link given a few posts earlier

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club (x2)

At MOC now, and the lady who provided our welcome packet basically said the same to us. I had to laugh when she started mentioning the new properties I’d be able to visit with the Starwood acquisition, because I told her I didn’t care about any other location than Maui.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, that is confirmed in the link given a few posts earlier

But, that's a third party link, what makes it authoritative?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
But, that's a third party link, what makes it authoritative?
This thread her on TUG might give more credibility https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/marriotts-right-of-first-refusal-rofr.13111/ I doubt MVCI is going to volunteer a full list but they might respond to requests about a specific property. Like ROFR in general, it's in their best interest to keep you guessing. It's possible some new options will come on board where ROFR is not possible such as is he case for St. Thomas (MVC & Ritz) but as a rule those are either going to be points properties or older properties. The only newer property that is in the US that doesn't have ROFR is NJ, I don't know why that is but I'm sure there's some reason or it likely legal in nature.