• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Somewhat unique scenario, advice needed on canceling in Mexico

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate Lakes
Hello, my situation is strange so bear with me...
TL: DR - Purchased a cheap RTU at Vidanta yesterday only as leverage to sell my current expensive Timeshare in FL, want to cancel, taking advice to best do so.

I purchased a timeshare last May in Orlando, FL. Big mistake, want out. Currently on vacation in Cancun, did the presentation at Vidanta yesterday, signed up, but here is why..

Our salesperson told us that we could get our Orlando timeshare offloaded in 3-6 months as part of the deal with signing into this new contract. She said they work with TRM (timeshareresalemarket.com) and for $995 they sell it, and if it's not sold in 1 year they refund the $995. So she told us to get this new contract, have TRM sell the old and just never pay anything to Vida towards the Vidanta week we got, and that in Mexico they will just terminate our RTU membership after 2 missed payments and not come seek us. She was basically giving us some insight on how to get out of our crappy Orlando timeshare cheaper than paying the remaining balance and taking the huge hit.

I felt like this was a good course of action, but now that i have time to Google some stuff, it's looking more questionable than that. I want to cancel since I just signed up yesterday, well within the 5 day period.

My question: should I go back over to Vidanta and cancel or just call the number they provided? Also, i gave them no liquid cash, they opened an RCI card in credit on my name. Even if i cancel today, should I expect to have to pay that anyway? Can I contact RCI and cancel the card and advise I canceled my Vida membership?

I reached out to TRM and basically asked if I could just use them to sell my timeshare without the contingency of owning this new contract. I didn't tell them that Vida was asking for $995, I want to see what price they come back with first.

Thoughts? Taking all advice, thx

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you're digging yourself into a deeper hole. Entering into an agreement with a Mexican TS in order to have them cancel a US contract is just setting yourself up to have not ONE timeshare obligation, but 3 including a new credit card. There is NO guarantee that this TRM can get Westgate to cancel your contract. We think all this type outfit is a scam. Oh, they will advertise it or offer to sell it on eBay or somewhere, then after a period of time they will either want more money or you'll just get bills for next year's maintenance, and the bills just keep coming. NOBODY has the 'Magic Words' to make a legally drawn contract just disappear. And Wastegate (as they are known here) doesn't give up easily. Unfortunately, you missed the opportunity to rescind the first time. My advice- Don't miss the second chance. Rescind, and then deal with Wastegate on your own.

Jim

Vacationsarefun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Definitely cancel. The way I read it they didn't even promise that TRM would be able to sell your old timeshare, only that you would get the fee back if not. I think there is hardly any chance that anyone would buy a full-price Orlando timeshare on the resale market. If you do not cancel you will still own your Floriday timeshare as well as the new Vidanta. I sincerely doubt that Vidanta would just let this go.

As far as cancelling is concerned, look in your information packet and follow the instructions exactly. I have no experience with this so I am sure others can tell you more about it.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate Lakes
Thanks to you both, my intuition was telling me to cancel and not assume a new debt while trying to maneuver out of an old debt. Our salesperson was unlike any I've seen, telling us she wanted our presentation to go quickly so that she could go to the beach, telling us that she wouldn't allow us to purchase anything over 10k after we explained our situation, and giving us advice about cheating the system in Mexico so that we could get out of our US timeshare and have a Mexican one that we could just walk away from at any time we decide because "Its Mexico, not the US, they won't try to find you." I've never seen this tactic before, I honestly don't think she was trying to make a sale off of us but the opportunity presented made sense without her being pushy at all. Gotta be careful these days.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate Lakes
On our way to rescind now. Looking forward to hearing their "final final offer" so I can tell them I wouldn't take it even if it was free . Thanks all

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Please let us know how it went - and STAY STRONG!

After you get back from a hopefully relaxing rest of your vacation, come back to TUG to pick up great tips on how to get good use out of the timeshare that you own.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
On our way to rescind now. Looking forward to hearing their "final final offer" so I can tell them I wouldn't take it even if it was free . Thanks all
You're about to find out why we suggest rescinding by mail. Good Luck!

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate Lakes
3 salespeople later, we got an offer we couldn't refuse and have 100 weeks at Vidanta in a 2BR.

YEA RIGHT! We are fully canceled, refunded and no longer under obligation at Vidanta. Even during the cancellation meeting the price and perks magically kept getting better and better.

The resort is amazing, I will say that, but their pushiness is 2nd to none. I was proud of my wife for putting the last guy in his place and putting an end to the tabletop portion. Time to enjoy the rest of our stay here in Cancun

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yay!!!:banana: Now go out and enjoy your vacation!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
so glad you found us in time to avoid this scheme! you wont regret rescinding!

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate Lakes
Would you care to share what she said or is that rather private?

Nothing out of the ordinary, just basically said there was no deal, dollar amount or promise that would change our minds and that "it's time for you to get our cancellation paperwork." The last salesman promptly stood up, walked away, and we were processing a refund of our deposit 2 minutes later.