• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

total annual TS cost

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
HI,
We have a decent but finite travel budget per year. When we decided to buy TS few months ago, we had to see how the cost of the weeks integrated into our annual budget.

The way i do it, for every week i add 1/10 of the upfront costs (buying price plus closing costs minus freebies like free 2018 usage) to the maintenance fees.

So for example if I pay $1200 MFs for a certain week and i paid $3000 (hypothetical), my annual cost becomes $1500. Then i add all my weeks calculated in a similar way and i see my total annual cost.

I read that some amortize the upfront costs over 20 years. I feel that 20 years is too long because we do not know what the future will bring us and because think I would have to add at least 5% opportunity cost which brings me back to around the 10 year annual $.

What do you think?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
It is hard to amortize upfront cost because you may end up being able to sell that week for close to what you bought it for. So you really don't know the cost of the week until you sell it. There is of course the opportunity cost that you would have to consider, but I wouldn't bother too much with that unless you are using assets that you would have otherwise invested. For a $1000 timeshare, opportunity cost isn't significant enough to bother with IMO. Since we have paid less than $500 for all of our Vistana timeshares, I now simply just use our annual fees to determine our annual cost and don't worry about the upfront costs or opportunity cost. I would have just spent the money for the purchase price on something else and it wouldn't have been invested. Spreading the upfront cost over 10 or 20 years isn't significant enough to bother with.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is hard to amortize upfront cost because you may end up being able to sell that week for close to what you bought it for. So you really don't know the cost of the week until you sell it. There is of course the opportunity cost that you would have to consider, but I wouldn't bother too much with that unless you are using assets that you would have otherwise invested. For a $1000 timeshare, opportunity cost isn't significant enough to bother with IMO. Since we have paid less than $500 for all of our Vistana timeshares, I now simply just use our annual fees to determine our annual cost and don't worry about the upfront costs or opportunity cost. I would have just spent the money for the purchase price on something else and it wouldn't have been invested. Spreading the upfront cost over 10 or 20 years isn't significant enough to bother with.

You are right and i would not bother with calculations if we had only paid 1k. However, we paid significantly more for all 4 weeks (all platinum, one part of HGVC point system, one with SOs, and two in a place we want to visit) and i feel that by adding just the MFs for annual costs in the budget would be a bit like fooling ourselves.

We intend to use them for more than 10 years and i do believe that if we were to sell we would get around the same today +- closing costs (first 2 bought at what seems to be market value then smarted up a bit and managed to find better deals).
Yet, who the heck knows what will be in 10 years? I feel that if i put a zero value in ten years there is less room to be disappointed.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If, as we recommend, timeshare purchases are made after all other responsibilities, like retirement savings, kid's education, emergency fund, etc, are made, and you buy resale for a few cents on the retail dollar, you free yourself from these calculations.

Jim