• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

VOG on the Big Island

kwilson

TUG Member
Reaction score
We checked into the Kona Hawaiian Resort 4 days ago. We haven't seen the sun in Kona since. Well maybe a vague orange glow. The VOG is that thick. We drove over to Hilo today and it was beautiful, even though it is about 40 miles closer to the volcano. They are predicting a change in the winds in the next few days that should help clear things up.

FOLLOW UP...Next morning..Blue skies and sunshine, No VOG. Happy Days!

Last edited:

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
We were supposed to be in Kona July 1-5th. Yesterday I changed our reservations to stay in Kauai. One of our travel companions has bad asthma and at this point I don’t think it’s worth the risk. I’m sad though! We were really looking forward to the Big Island.

I hope the trade winds change and you get some sun & relief from the VOG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
We were scheduled to stay at Kona Hawaiian Resort for the second week of our trip that ended last weekend. I also decided it wasn’t worth the hassle, and changed our plans to go to Kauai instead. I’m glad I did. And the people who gave me a hard time about it need to get over it. I’m not spending all that money to sit in the haze, and be told where on the island we couldn’t go. We had a great time on Kauai.

Enjoy your vacation!

Dave

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
The big island is hurting right now due to all the cancellations. Anyone that wants a good deal on a hotel room or air fare can get them this summer or as long as this is going on. The CEO of Hilton was on CNBC telling everyone that the deals are really good at all their properties on the big island.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
My brother a Hawaii resident, and a frequent cruiser, says the Norwegian line has been avoiding the Big Island ever since these East Rift lava eruptions started. People are cancelling and cruise prices have dropped for June into July. Maybe I'll try to get one of those cruises in September.

I've got my Big Island Hilton timeshare reserved for May 2019. I hope it simmers down by then.

mapsd

Reaction score
We are set to arrive on the Big Island on Monday for a week's stay, then to Oahu for 5 days.
Staying at King's Land as part of a promo.

Will HGVC work with us to change our itinerary?
We're committed to the dates, so what would our options be?

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Sorry - forgot to add quotes - this was in response to mapsd.

According to the Tripadvisor forums, Waikoloa (where Kingsland is located) is fine. There are a ton of threads over there. They are saying to stay away from Kona at all costs, and move your reservations to the Waikoloa area. Here is a link to different Big Island webcams: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTop...f_Hawaii_webcams-Island_of_Hawaii_Hawaii.html

Also, when I log into my HGVC account, there is a big notice at the top saying that their Hawaii properties are unaffected. I doubt that they will relocate you. If it were me (and it is - we're heading there next Saturday) I wouldn't worry about it too much. If I were staying in Kona I would do everything in my power to move.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We checked into the Kona Hawaiian Resort 4 days ago. We haven't seen the sun in Kona since. Well maybe a vague orange glow. The VOG is that thick. We drove over to Hilo today and it was beautiful, even though it is about 40 miles closer to the volcano. They are predicting a change in the winds in the next few days that should help clear things up.
I'm not sure what you itinerary is, but head north to Waikoloa, northeast to the Hamakua Coast, head up to Waimea or Hawi, go to Hapuna Beach. Check out Tex's bakery in Honokaa for malasadas too.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Just read that Lava has filled in and destroyd the largest fresh water lake and it was 200 feet deep in spots.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I've got my Big Island Hilton timeshare reserved for May 2019. I hope it simmers down by then.

We're going in March 2019, and I'm actually in the other camp, hoping some of the activity is still going on (but hopefully in unpopulated areas where people's homes aren't being destroyed). Since we'll be at HGVC in Waikoloa, any direct impacts are usually minimal there, so we would love to see interesting activity again if there was a way to observe from a boat or helicopter or even on foot.

On our honeymoon in 1992 we were able to walk within several hundred yards of where the lava was entering the ocean, on a path over recent lava flows where we could still feel the heat through our shoes (with US Park Service Rangers there to answer questions and keep everyone a safe distance back). It was an incredible opportunity. Would love to see something like that again.

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
We were able to see lava flows in July 2016, right before it entered the ocean. It was slow moving. We had a long hike to it, but it was worth it.
Like you, hoping that this will calm down to an activity where it’s not life threatening and taking homes but we can observe the nature of it. We will definitely be planning a trip in 2019.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My brother in Honolulu said Norwegian cruise line plans to resume Big Island cruising next week. Should have great viewing of lava. Cruise prices really really low now, should start rising soon.

Hawaiibarb

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just got back from the Big Island; stayed at the Royal Sea Cliff. Yes, there was vog in Kona; so much depends on where the trade winds are blowing. I was concerned for my friend, who has a history of pulmonary problems, so I had special masks ready to protect against the vog, if we needed them, but we were fine. Coming back from Hilo, we hit a short patch of vog on Saddle Road, but we were out of it in no time, nor did it bother either of us. The Big Island has a lot to offer, and I'm glad we didn't cancel our trip just because of the volcano. The state is trying to find a way that people can safely see the lava flowing, but no time table. The Puna people have been hard hit, but there is a lot of amazing generosity from people all over the island, anxious to help in so many ways. I believe the latest count (verified) of homes lost is now at 577.