• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Looking for suggestions for an XMAS week/New Years trip

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
My husband gets the week between Christmas and New Years off and we are thinking of doing a two week trip using that week plus a week of vacation time for 2019/2020. I'm looking for suggestions of where to go taking into account the following parameters:

1. Need to be able to get a week via exchange (we have too many weeks at the moment and need to get through these first - so hotels are out for now)
2. I don't like crowds - for example no to Orlando, Las Vegas or New York. Just couldn't do it.
3. We go to Mexico and Hawaii frequently so we want to do something else for a change.
4. We are doing Sedona this New Years, so that is out for a location.

We would be fine with cities in the off season, places where we could hike/bike without too much worry about the weather (we hike when it's in the 40's, but 30's and snow is usually a little much), or some place warm. We don't want to be stuck in our unit.

We are considering NZ/Australia (works for weather, but exchanging would be tough and then...crowds :p ), Spain/Portugal, Italy, Hilton Head, San Francisco (but we have been there a lot - but we love it). We have deposits at Interval, SFX, and Grand Pacific, points through HGVC, and have access to RCI via HGVC. We don't need to stay at a Marriott or Starwood but have preference in both systems. We tend to prefer smaller resorts, but we are honestly pretty easy going and can be happy anywhere. Since it's a two week trip, we're not too fussy about airfare costs.

Any thoughts?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We like Palm Desert over Christmas and New Year period, in fact all of Nov to Feb. We golf and the weather is perfect for outdoor activities plus there is a great selection of restaurants. It is our favorite area during late fall and winter time.

Last edited:

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Costa Rica? Alaska and other airlines have non stops from LAX.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Costa Rica? Alaska and other airlines have non stops from LAX.
Good idea! It's been on our B list for awhile and I had forgotten about it.

We like Palm Desert a lot too - but we go there a couple of times each year.

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
How about a ski town like Park City or Breckenridge? You have hot tubs, nice bars and restaurants, snowmobiling, snow shoeing, reading next to the fireplace, hot chocolates, etc.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
How about a ski town like Park City or Breckenridge? You have hot tubs, nice bars and restaurants, snowmobiling, snow shoeing, reading next to the fireplace, hot chocolates, etc.

Do you think I can pull those weeks with an exchange? It seems like a longshot but I suppose that I could try.

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You are correct, Christmas week is very difficult. It is possible but rare. Put in a OGS in II, look for a studio or 1br and maybe you can get lucky. If you expand your search to Winter Park, Steamboat, Midway and Dillon, you will have a much better chance. Good luck.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Fort Lauderdale ... with a day trip tour bus ride (or a better plan, a 2 night trip to Key West).

Fort Lauderdale is a LARGE cruise port with multiple cruise lines leaving everyday.

If you like laid back, visit the historic Bonnet House (& 35 acres of grounds) .. a walled property which OWNS the beach from eater line to intercoast waterway .. look at the signs defiing who owns the beach (even the lifeguards stands are NOT on that provite beach, but the public is NOT restricted from visiting). Just a few steps north is the 180 acre Hugh Taylor Birch State Park .... again, goes from A1A (divides the beach from the park) to the intercoastal waterway. Bike rentals are available nearby.

Yes, there is great tourist shopping, an Indian gambling reservation very near by, deep sea fishing (multiple speciality boats) in the Atlantic Ocean, outdoor tennis courts, heated resort pools (for the enjoyment of all) PLUS great food of all types with upscale shopping on Los Olas Blvd.

Get a timeshare with a beach/ocean view. Weston is NOT near the beach and Pompano has A1A cutting thru it .. but is more like the suburbs with highrise condos complexes and less walk to shipping and food (car definitle required).

Marriott Beachplace is in Ft Lauderdale on A1A. Everything available will deplete your bank account but you will enjoy the food & drink.

I prefer the Ft Lauderdale Beach Resort (II and RCI resort) ... a very short 3 minute walk to the beach (with traffic light to cross). But it is in a commerical district of dining, drinking and the World Famous Parrot Bar & Lounge (27 TV sets around & above the bar with every Sport's Channel sold on SATdishes ... beers are drafts or bottle along with all the mixed drinks. This is the place the locals come to watch their teams from "BACK HOME" or UP North ... place does close its street for some BIGGER events. Good local food for dinners (some places open after 4PM only) include Italian, Mexican, Thai. etc ... 4 minute walk. The Galleria Mall is a 15 minute walk over the intercoastal waterway, but has Trulucks and Capital Grill plus 2 more UPSCALE places willing to empty your wallet for a great dinner ... Blue Martini, Seasons52 also.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I like a real XMAS feel for a holiday vacation and to me that means New England- VT, NH, etc. Snow, Pine Trees- even though we don’t ski we will do snow shoeing or just sit by a nice warm fire with a hot toddy. Dog sledding and snowmobiling. Horse drawn sleigh. Tubing and ice skating. Ice fishing. Take a snow coach up a mountain. Hot tub outside during falling snow. Quaint shops. Good restaurants. Take in a movie. Exchange gifts. Drive around to see the light displays. Take in a music venue or a holiday play. Church on XMAS day and then dinner out. You get the picture.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Oregon Coast. Walking on a stormy beach can be exhilarating. Then curl up in front of the fireplace and watch the surf.

Dave

Railman83

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you’ve never been to Massanutten it has more stuff to do than you can possibly do in a week. Skiing, golf, horseback riding, snow tubing, adventure courses and zip lines, go karts, gravity bounce, shows, crafts galore, indoor and outdoor water parks,several rev centers, multiple bars and restaurants with entertainment, spa, escape room and on and on and on.

It is overbuilt so trades are easy, but it is overbuilt for a reason, and not crowded if you take the 6000 acres into account.

If you spend any time on rci you’ve no doubt seen their 8 resorts pop up on all kinds of searches —- 3 gold crown and 1 silver crown 2&4br units.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for all of the great suggestions! There are definitely places that I hadn't even considered before. We're going to start researching things so that I can get an OGS in place later this year.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Maybe:

St George Utah
Tucson or Scottsdale
Santa Fe

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Hilton Head would work for you, biking, hiking, golf and beach walks. Lots to do at and in surrounding areas. You can take day trips to Charleston and Savannah. Lots of timeshares in the area from big and fancy to small and quaint. Should easily get a trade.