• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Kauai RCI Exchange

Firepath

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC
I think we've narrowed our trip (or at least part of it) down to Kauai. I have had an OGS thru RCI for mid May 2019 set up for a few weeks and am starting to see some matches. I'm just not sure where we should try to stay. There are some activities we want to do (zip line and tubing) which are near Lihue, but most of my matches are in Princeville. I had a match today for Wyndham Bali Hai which looks nice. Is Princeville too far from Lihue to drive back to for a day trip? Also, I'm not sure if I should jump on the Bali Hai match since I have nearly a year left to search. If we stay in Princeville, I would probably hope for Shearwater or maybe Ka Eo Kai.
Is it even realistic that a 2 BR might come through there for next May? I haven't been looking long enough to tell.

Tahiya

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Princeville is not too far from Lihue for a day trip. Plan on 45 mins to an hour one way, depending on traffic. May is not high season for Kauai, so you have a chance of getting a different timeshare. I don't know if the Shearwater deposit happened yet for next May.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Princeville and Lihue are only 29 miles apart. Traffic can slow things down (there is only one road) but even then, it's maybe an hour's drive. So not too far at all. Kauai is not a large island.

Keep in mind the Princeville resorts are very nice, but they are not on a beach. They are on a cliff above the ocean. If you need ocean front, with a beach at your door, you'll want to stay elsewhere on the island.

If you have a year left, you can probably safely wait, but make sure you know what you're waiting for.

Dave

VanX

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Blue Bay Getaway
I recommend the kayak up the Waimea river and pack a lunch.

Also it was nice to hike to the rim of the collapsed volcano and on that edge looking down into the volcano core valley and turning around to see the long hill and valley leading out to the ocean. Awesome !

Oh and check out their mini Grand Canyon that you can drive to the edge of. Super scenic.

Princeville was nice and beyond to hanalei was a good day trip from Kapaa where we stayed.

Careful on the beaches as many have been hurt or killed on non-swimming beaches. Looks beautiful but the ocean can get big and powerful with a single rogue wave. Don’t get caught amongst the rocks.

We did dessert and drinks at Hula shows each night at beach side little bars and had a great romantic time.

Aloha !

Last edited:

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pahio Kauai Beach Villas, Pahio Shearwater
Aloha,
Bali Hai is a fine facility.
I used to screen scrape RCI data and use formulas to parse it into a database. That data only includes what did not match an ongoing search.
I recommend you wait. In past years there has been plenty of availability [for May check-in] as little as six months from check in, although Bali Hai makes up a large fraction of what I captured. Of course, 2019 may be different than the years I just looked at (2015 & 2016)
My suggestion would be to study the TUG reviews as well as guide books (e.g. http://www.hawaiirevealed.com/kauai-revealed/guidebook-app/ ) to figure out where you want to stay; then modify your search to specify just those resorts. If you haven't got a match to a resort you want by a month or two more than the lead time you are comfortable with (e.g. when you want to lock in air fare), then modify the search to either include more acceptable resorts or anything on Kauai. If you are willing to gamble where losing means renting a hotel room, you could lock in airfare first and focus on just the resorts you want. As long as those resorts combined have a large number of units, the odds of getting a match (essentially someone else's cancellation) between 60 days and 14 days before check in are fairly high.
Given the damage to the north shore beyond Hanalei and the uncertainty regarding when prime tourist spots will re-open, you might want to think seriously about focusing on resorts on the east side of the island.
BTW - assuming you are in RCI weeks, some of the resorts require a few more TPU than Bali Hai. If you have just enough TPU to get the match RCI is offering you and you don't want to gamble on short lead time matches at reduced TPU, then it might be a good idea to lock in Bali Hai and resign yourself to lots of driving.
Jack
edited to include: [for May check-in]

Last edited:

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We have stayed at Bali Hai several times. Ka E'o Ka'i once. We prefer Bali Hai. The room was bigger at Ka E'o Ka'i but everything else was better at Bali Hai. Traffic (mainly in the Kapa'a and Lihu'e areas) can be horrible. Single lane Hwy from one end of the Island to the other. We have swam and snorkeled from one end of the Island to the other. We have never had a probem on any of the Beaches. We zip lined at Koloa Zip line. Had a great day. We inner tuned the old sugarcane irrigation canals. This is out of Lihu'e. We kayaked to Fern Grotto and Secret Falls. It is about a mile hike from where you beach the kayaks to Secret Falls. The trail can be a bit rough and slippery. This is out of Kapa'a. There is a Costco and large new Safeway in Lihu'e. They are not far apart. If you are in Princeville you should plan on a whole day to see Waima Canyon at the south end. Take a picnic lunch. Drive to the end of the paved road at Waimea Canyon. Hike a bit. Then eat your picnic lunch in the park. Stop at the View Points on the way down. Hike to the top of Sleeping Giant is also a good trip.

How long are you going to be on Kauai? We usually try for at least 2 weeks.

Xan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think we've narrowed our trip (or at least part of it) down to Kauai. I have had an OGS thru RCI for mid May 2019 set up for a few weeks and am starting to see some matches. I'm just not sure where we should try to stay. There are some activities we want to do (zip line and tubing) which are near Lihue, but most of my matches are in Princeville. I had a match today for Wyndham Bali Hai which looks nice. Is Princeville too far from Lihue to drive back to for a day trip? Also, I'm not sure if I should jump on the Bali Hai match since I have nearly a year left to search. If we stay in Princeville, I would probably hope for Shearwater or maybe Ka Eo Kai.
Is it even realistic that a 2 BR might come through there for next May? I haven't been looking long enough to tell.

Bali Hai is a nice place, but expect lots of stairs and lots of driving to everything. There is a small shopping plaza, with a grocery store at the entrance to the “Princeville Resorts”, but I found the groceries cost even more than the Kapa’a stores. There is a good pizza restaurant hidden in the Princeville complex, but once again, you have to drive to everything.
Too bad you’re doing a trade, since I have two spare 2/2 weeks w/ocean front possibilities in Kapa’a, with walking distance to shops and restaurants. Also there is a many mile walking/bike path out along the ocean.
If you can get into Pono Kai, go for it! It’s an excellent central location to drive to other parts of the island. This is also one of the rare resorts with elevators in the buildings.
I’ve stayed at several resorts on Kaua`i over the years, and found that my home Resort at Pono Kai is the only place we are going to stay from now on. (Especially since we can almost always get the units we want if booked well in advance.)
One trip we did one week in Bali Hai, and a second week in KBV in Lihue, due to having extra space-banked time from another timeshare we own. Both were nice, but once again, had to drive to get to everything. It’s nice to be able to walk to shops and restaurants when you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firepath

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC
So I checked out Pono Kai and the location looks great! Reviews are good too. Maybe not as fancy as the Wyndham resorts but looks like it has them beat with everything else. I do have a lot of Worldmark points to use up so I'll be looking for an exchange. I wonder how often Pono Kai 2 BR's show up. Thank you all for the great info. So much to consider. I think we'll be in Kauai for a week and tack on a day or two before or after to check out Pearl Harbor if it's back open again by next May.

Reactions: Xan

foscomoss

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
kauai beach villas, bali hai
you can reach princeville from lihue in about an hour depending on traffic. there is zip lining on west side and many activities on the wast and south sides. the north shore is nice but it does take a long time to go south or west. lihue is more centrally located. and after the great disaster most of the north shore is closed. don't really know when it will be open for tourists as of now it is residents only/

Xan

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I checked out Pono Kai and the location looks great! Reviews are good too. Maybe not as fancy as the Wyndham resorts but looks like it has them beat with everything else. I do have a lot of Worldmark points to use up so I'll be looking for an exchange. I wonder how often Pono Kai 2 BR's show up. Thank you all for the great info. So much to consider. I think we'll be in Kauai for a week and tack on a day or two before or after to check out Pearl Harbor if it's back open again by next May.

Pono Kai is great. Even if you get a two br not directly on the the ocean. If you don’t have to have 2 baths, consider a one bedroom w/Loft unit. The loft is very large and actually pretty private.

There are a few “companies” that do exchanges within the Pono Kai Resort. Pono Kai (PKIOA)-Wed or Sat check-in. Pacific Fantasy (PFTSOA)-Fri check-in, Vacation Internationale (VI)-not sure of check-in days. Bluegreen Vacations (Club Associate Resort)-not sure of check-in days.
Pono Kai (PKIOA) has the most units and is the main Association.
Pacific Fantasy (PFTSOA) is the second “main” Association. They actually were the original, but now only have about 16 units.

I own both in PFTSOA & PKIOA.
They are in the process of remodeling certain buildings, so they may close off the whole building, but it’s hard since Association’s are mixed throughout the buildings.

If you do get into the resort, don’t be discouraged if you get a unit that hasn’t been remodeled yet, since they are still comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
In May, I would aim for south side like Poipu/Lawer Beach Area. Lawer Beach Resort is on the famed beach with good snorkeling. May in North Shote might still be wet. We love Princeville area but only go in summer (Mid June to Sep).

Edit to add: never mind. The historical weather info says otherwise. We have been in Princeville once in May and was raining every day. Hence my impression.

Last edited: