• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Lagunamar Questions

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
and please also comment if any are on the beach, because we love those restaurants.
Beach side restaurants are a little more rare in Cancun. Many of the great restaurants sit on the lagoon side. Still a great view and that is also the side where the sun sets. Think of Cancun as hotels on one side and restaurants on the other. There are of course exceptions, but that is how it is pretty much laid out.

gritmuncher

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar, Palace
We are going back in 40 days and I just reviewed my notes from last time. Here are some of them:
  • A fantastic restaurant is Tempo. Great for dates. Book via OpenTable;
  • Other great restaurants we plan to go back to: Freds and La Dolce Vita;
  • Buy lots of water at the grocery stores (circa 10 liters pp);
  • Bring HDMI cable to connect PC to TV;
  • Bring exact change for cabs and don't tip (they overcharge you anyway);
  • Play twilight golf at Iberinex (starts at 2pm). Was $55 last year. Book via Concierge. Leave clubs at course.
  • Limit the alcohol purchase at the groceries once we get there. Last time we left way too much for the maids who must have had a nice party ...
Thanks for all the other tips. Looking forward to try out Rosa Negro and maybe the Ferris wheel.

suzanna945

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St John
We are going to the Lagunamar for the first time this fall and appreciate everyone's contributions to this thread. Very helpful. Has anyone ever taken a day trip to Valladolid?

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, WLR, So Cal Beach Club
We'll be heading to Lagunamar next month for our regular biennial trip. We'll be landing at the airport around 7 pm on a Monday. Ideally, I would like to get the main grocery shopping done that evening at the Soriana that's close to the resort.

Does any know what time they close on Mondays?

Also, there was an earlier thread which mentioned that the USA Transfers driver was able to stop at the grocery store on the way in from the airport. Does anyone have experience with that? How much did they charge for that?

Thanks!

Glorian

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
We'll be heading to Lagunamar next month for our regular biennial trip. We'll be landing at the airport around 7 pm on a Monday. Ideally, I would like to get the main grocery shopping done that evening at the Soriana that's close to the resort.

It's open until 10:00 p.m. each night.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA

Also, there was an earlier thread which mentioned that the USA Transfers driver was able to stop at the grocery store on the way in from the airport. Does anyone have experience with that? How much did they charge for that?

Thanks!

Glorian
USA Transfers charges $30 for a grocery stop of one hour. From the FAQ on their website;

Can you take us to a restaurant or supermarket before going to out hotel?
Of course! Just email us your request and we will give you a quote for any restaurant. For the grocery stop it is an extra $30 for each hour or partial hour. Usually 1 hour is sufficient. It must be booked ahead of time. We will take you to the most logical store (route wise) on the way to your hotel. We can also go to and from between hotels, parks, shopping etc.

We did the grocery stop one time, they take you to a small Walmart Marketplace. We also did the trek to the Walmart in downtown Cancun and this last time we just went to Soriana. My suggestion is just hit Soriana. Have them deliver the groceries for just a few dollars. Then tip the delivery driver!

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for the info! If they won't stop at Soriana, we'll probably skip it. We've had Soriana deliver before and that worked out well. On another thread, though, it said that they top delivery service at 7 pm. I would just wait until the next morning to get groceries, but my husband prefers to get it done that night.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
USA Transfers may stop at Soriana. You can ask them when you reserve your transfers. As long as it is along the way, I don't see why they wouldn't. They won't go to Costco or Super Walmart downtown unless you are willing to pay more. But Soriana is along the route they take to the property.

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ok, I'll ask and report back.

Shirtman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar
Has anyone tried to have Selecto delivery groceries? Their web page says they deliver.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
We are going to the Lagunamar for the first time this fall and appreciate everyone's contributions to this thread. Very helpful. Has anyone ever taken a day trip to Valladolid?
When we took the day trip to Chichen Itza we drove through this town, stopped at a roadside gift shop, had a nice buffet lunch which included live music and dancing, and also stopped at a cenote in addition to the Mayan ruins. The bus crew gave us shots of tequila the whole ride back to Lagunamar.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Has anyone tried to have Selecto delivery groceries? Their web page says they deliver.
I think their delivery is like Soriana. You go and shop and at checkout you tell them you want it delivered. Pretty cheap and convenient too. I don't think they do the shopping for you and deliver, but I could be wrong.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
We usually walk up to Sorianos with some grocery bags we bring from home. We put the perishables in an insulated bag and take the bus back to Lagunamar. The non-perishables we have delivered. They say it can take an hour to get your delivery, but there was a time when the delivery guy was already at the resort by the time we got back. (It's only 1 bus stop away)

Last edited:

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
I use a backpack for my carry-on (actually, airlines treat it as a personal item, like a briefcase, so I could take a carry-on suitcase as well). The backpack is then available for carrying things home from Soriana or Chedraui. This helps especially when bringing back hefty items, such as liquids, cans, milk, cheese, etc. I have also seen folks using their wheelies for this.

blondietink

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Saratoga Springs; Sheraton Vistana Villages St. Augustine; Westin Adventuras
Yes, we have taken our rolling suitcases or carryons to Soriana to bring back heavy stuff like juice, beer, etc. We enjoy the walk as well.

Scotten

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions for buying liquor close to Lagunamar (not beer/wine)? I walked to the one across the street but thought the prices were high.

Last time we rented a car and went to the Costco and WalMart in the city - which was the best option.

gritmuncher

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar, Palace
Any suggestions for buying liquor close to Lagunamar (not beer/wine)? I walked to the one across the street but thought the prices were high.

Last time we rented a car and went to the Costco and WalMart in the city - which was the best option.

The Soriano Supermarket that is a 5 minutes walk from the resort has all the liquor you need. We usually head straight to beach when we arrive. Stay there until sunset and then head to Soriano to buy all that we need for the week.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA

When you say the "one across the street", do you mean La Europea?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
The Soriano Supermarket that is a 5 minutes walk from the resort has all the liquor you need. We usually head straight to beach when we arrive. Stay there until sunset and then head to Soriano to buy all that we need for the week.
You would likely have to be running to get there in five minutes on foot. Shoot, if you are in one of the buildings closest to the beach it can take five minutes just to get the the street at the front entrance. I would put the walk at more like 10-15 minutes. It is nearly a kilometer from the front gate of Lagunamar to Soriana.

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
The best liquor prices in Mexico occur on 20 Nov (Revolution Day). 30% off is typical at the major stores.

Scotten

TUG Member
Reaction score
When you say the "one across the street", do you mean La Europea?

I think that its... across the street and maybe south down a little ways? I remember they had plenty of liquor but the bottles were pricey and dusty (which told me they didn't move much).

Thanks for the Soriana info, I though I had looked for liquor there before and didn't find any.

simon63

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
FAVC
Another option is to take a bus to Chedraui Select, I think the quality is better and the price is similar, also they have an area of fast food with different kind of food, like italian food that they prepare at the moment and the price is very cheap. And they can take your shopping to the resort.

blondietink

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Saratoga Springs; Sheraton Vistana Villages St. Augustine; Westin Adventuras
Yes, the Selecto has everything you would ever want food wise and alcohol, but beware of the agressive timeshare salesmen!

We prefer walking down to Soriano. They have most everything including alcohol, will cook a nice steak for you if you want and there are no timeshare salesmen.

emoneybug

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney - Saratoga Springs 365pts (resale)
My friend owns a Studio Odd Year Float, Goldplus 37,000 Staroptions, MF ~$433 per year.

She is thinking of gifting or selling. Is there a market?

Does this trade well in II?

Is she better off trying to rent it out for a few years before she can use again for her own family?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
My friend owns a Studio Odd Year Float, Goldplus 37,000 Staroptions, MF ~$433 per year.

She is thinking of gifting or selling. Is there a market?

Does this trade well in II?

Is she better off trying to rent it out for a few years before she can use again for her own family?
Not much value in renting it the resale value isn't very high, though you may be able to get a hundred bucks. If you can't get that, it could probably be unloaded by giving it away for free (buyer paying closing costs).