• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

SFX Hawaii Trade: Happy Exchanger

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
Previous to today, I had not exchanged through SFX. I signed up last year for a 3-year "Diamond" membership when I forgot to deposit my Colonies at Williamsburg 2BR with II until it was well within the flex period (less than 1 month until checkin) . I called SFX and they took my deposit with no restrictions. Two days ago, I put in a request for Maui, Kauai, and Big Island for a specific week in August.

Big Island matched immediately! I am now booked for August at the Kohala Suites by Hilton Grand Vacation Club. It's #4 of 20 BI resorts on TUG. Needless to say, I'm very pleased.

I realize people are either very pleased or disappointed with SFX. Color me pleased!

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Previous to today, I had not exchanged through SFX. I signed up last year for a 3-year "Diamond" membership when I forgot to deposit my Colonies at Williamsburg 2BR with II until it was well within the flex period (less than 1 month until checkin) . I called SFX and they took my deposit with no restrictions. Two days ago, I put in a request for Maui, Kauai, and Big Island for a specific week in August.

Big Island matched immediately! I am now booked for August at the Kohala Suites by Hilton Grand Vacation Club. It's #4 of 20 BI resorts on TUG. Needless to say, I'm very pleased.

I realize people are either very pleased or disappointed with SFX. Color me pleased!

Congratulations! That's a nice place. I've had good luck with SFX, so I guess I'm one of the pleased people. I don't exchange all that much any more, but if I did, SFX would be my first choice.

Dave

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
I feel the opposite. I found that even though I deposited a great week I couldn’t get anything of approximate value out of them. I found the company, and their customer service, lacking. I have never, nor will I ever, do business with them again.

But your experience was certainly in the variance category of your “mileage may vary”. Also, my relationship with them ended in 2007. Things probably have changed since then.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I feel the opposite. I found that even though I deposited a great week I couldn’t get anything of approximate value out of them. I found the company, and their customer service, lacking. I have never, nor will I ever, do business with them again.

But your experience was certainly in the variance category of your “mileage may vary”. Also, my relationship with them ended in 2007. Things probably have changed since then.
I agree with you, Marylyn. I have given them several weeks and have come up empty for exchanges on most. They did go out of their way to help by extending the expiration dates of my weeks by a year, but I feel that many of my weeks will expire unused, anyway. They have a very limited supply of weeks, and I just know I cannot wait for them to match me to something, when II and RCI are so easy to get exchanges.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
One thing I've noticed, is that the reports from people who are happy with the trades they have received through SFX tend more often than not to be from people who have purchased the upgraded membership levels.

It seems to me that RCI prioritizes OGS by time in force, II by quality of trade offered, and SFX by type of membership paid for.

I could be off base but that is my impression.

Vacationsarefun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I am a bit worried about the week I deposited with SFX as well (I only own one week so really don't want to lose it).

I did get good trades in the past (London and San Diego), but this year I have had various requests in and none have worked out so far. I am rather picky and limited as far as when we can go so I do realize it isn't all that easy. Still, looking at RCI I know I could easily find weeks that would work so there wouldn't be the fear of losing my week. For example if I saw a week in Spain I could check on airfare and if cheap flights are availabe I could grab the week. But as there is no way to look at SFX's inventory and as you have to pay the exchange fee if they find a match, I can only request places/times that will work for sure.

Also, I have had weeks requested before that I see easily available in RCI but didn't come through with SFX.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
But as there is no way to look at SFX's inventory and as you have to pay the exchange fee if they find a match, I can only request places/times that will work for sure.

You may want to call again. I was told they would call me to confirm any potential exchange prior to paying the exchange fee. Don't know if that's the case since they literally found the week I requested immediately after telling them.

On a different note, they will match only one exchange week to Hawaii per calendar year. Good for others (they have additional weeks available), bad for us since we wanted 2 weeks. It worked out in the end as we found an adjoining week through II.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
It's been a few years since I did an exchange with SFX or RCI, so maybe things are different now. Sounds like it's a lot harder than it used to be.

Dave

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I am a bit worried about the week I deposited with SFX as well (I only own one week so really don't want to lose it).

I did get good trades in the past (London and San Diego), but this year I have had various requests in and none have worked out so far. I am rather picky and limited as far as when we can go so I do realize it isn't all that easy. Still, looking at RCI I know I could easily find weeks that would work so there wouldn't be the fear of losing my week. For example if I saw a week in Spain I could check on airfare and if cheap flights are availabe I could grab the week. But as there is no way to look at SFX's inventory and as you have to pay the exchange fee if they find a match, I can only request places/times that will work for sure.

Also, I have had weeks requested before that I see easily available in RCI but didn't come through with SFX.
Exactly, I found their business model tough to work with.

I am more of a "search and find" kind of person. Not doing the searching, and not fielding the finds, made me very, very anxious.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
I found that business model to work with. I am more of a search and find person. Not doing the searching and not fielding the finds got me very very anxious.
I no longer see the ability to search for an instant exchange (only "place a request"). Even when they had it, the interface was atrocious and the results were even worse. I read somewhere that some had better results by calling. In my case I had to call since I couldn't do an instant search.

One can only hope they are working on the interface as well as the integration with other parts of the website (escapes, specials). It feels like they slammed multiple sites together, but forgot to integrate them (have to login again). It seems they've fixed that piece with the travel store.

Sent from my sweet Samsung Note 8 using Tapatalk :)

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
The SFX travel store is run by ICE. It’s not too bad, but in my limited experience doesn’t have too many really nice resorts available. Could be just the versions of it I’ve had access to, though, because they have different limitations based on how you access it.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Exactly, I found their business model tough to work with.

I am more of a "search and find" kind of person. Not doing the searching, and not fielding the finds, made me very, very anxious.

I get that all the time with RCI. Never makes me anxious. Try searching for Key West or DVC (via HGVC affiliation with RCI). You'll always come up empty.

SFX is significantly smaller in inventory than RCI and II. As such, when they had the online search, typically the only place where they had rooms just sitting around was the Vidanta resorts (sometimes Vegas).

Your best bet is an OGS (just like with RCI, IMO) and to be flexible, etc.

But as always:
Try before you buy

Not everyone is happy with any timeshare company (otherwise we'd all own Hilton, right? LOL!), and not everyone likes RCI/II/SFX.
It's like a car, folks:
Use what works best for you.
I've had good success with both RCI and SFX. I just prefer SFX because the fees are lower.

I wish I had II access, but not going to buy another timeshare in the forseeable future to get access to II.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
So I did get Kohala Suites for 7/7-7/14 of this year. My kids are deciding who gets it. The only problem is that one week is not enough, coming from Denver. We need a second week somewhere, Maui or the Big Island, and of course SFX has not come through for a second week. I asked for a second week at the same resort. We will see if SFX can get it.

I am also in need of a second unit at HGVC SeaWorld for 12/1-12/8. They did get me the one. I need another week and will probably book through RCI to get it. Easy exchange with RCI...

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
So I did get Kohala Suites for 7/7-7/14..
We need a second week somewhere, Maui or the Big Island, and of course SFX has not come through for a second week. I asked for a second week at the same resort. We will see if SFX can get it.

Let me know if you get the 2nd week. I was willing to exchange for a 2nd week, but they told me I couldn't have 2 exchanges in the same calendar year (got my 2nd week from II)...they said we may be able to use a bonus week (approx $1100), but they'd need approval from a supervisor.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Let me know if you get the 2nd week. I was willing to exchange for a 2nd week, but they told me I couldn't have 2 exchanges in the same calendar year (got my 2nd week from II)...they said we may be able to use a bonus week (approx $1100), but they'd need approval from a supervisor.

Why can you not have two exchanges in one calendar year? That is ridiculous. Do you have deposits to use?

I know SFX will absolutely limit NYC exchanges to one like every four years or something, but others said there is no such policy. Well, there absolutely is a policy because I was told I couldn't have NYC again because I already had it.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
Why can you not have two exchanges in one calendar year? That is ridiculous. Do you have deposits to use?

They told me since Hawaii was so popular, they wanted to spread it around...then again why offer a bonus week exchange since the end result would be the same (1 less week for others).
I had only 1 week deposited, but told them I was willing to deposit another week if they would match it.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
They told me since Hawaii was so popular, they wanted to spread it around...then again why offer a bonus week exchange since the end result would be the same (1 less week for others).
I had only 1 week deposited, but told them I was willing to deposit another week if they would match it.

Well, no wonder I cannot get the exchanges I want. I am not holding my breath for a second Hawaii week or a second Hilton SeaWorld week. That is disappointing. How am I going to use all of my deposits. SFX really is not a good company.

JuliGee

Reaction score
One thing I've noticed, is that the reports from people who are happy with the trades they have received through SFX tend more often than not to be from people who have purchased the upgraded membership levels.

It seems to me that RCI prioritizes OGS by time in force, II by quality of trade offered, and SFX by type of membership paid for.

I could be off base but that is my impression.

Our experience has been that our trades were just as good with the free gold membership as they are with our diamond membership. The big difference is the saving in fees and more benefits, but the good results we have had for exchange have been about the same. Since we retired, we are able to be more flexible and don't place unreasonable requests with extreme restrictions.

Juli

JuliGee

Reaction score

I was told the majority of their bonus week inventory are unsold developer units, and not member deposits. So if that is correct, it doesn't take away deposited exchange inventory from another members ability to book a week in Hawaii. Developers don't want empty units. The higher the occupancy, the more opportunity for them to make sales.

Juli

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our experience has been that our trades were just as good with the free gold membership as they are with our diamond membership. The big difference is the saving in fees and more benefits, but the good results we have had for exchange have been about the same. Since we retired, we are able to be more flexible and don't place unreasonable requests with extreme restrictions.

Juli

Interesting. That is the exact opposite of what I have observed over time from reading every post posted to Tug for the last 5+ years.

I also thought it was interesting that of your 140 posts, 90+ of them are in threads where SFX is in the title. A bunch more of them are places where you brought SFX into an unrelated conversation, such as the thread on "Favorite Smaller Resorts" where you gave a list and included the fact they were all through SFX. https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/favorite-smaller-resorts.247112/#post-1934329

I think that combination of facts makes it fair to ask whether you are affiliated with SFX in any way when you're posting about them.

JuliGee

Reaction score
Interesting. That is the exact opposite of what I have observed over time from reading every post posted to Tug for the last 5+ years.

I also thought it was interesting that of your 140 posts, 90+ of them are in threads where SFX is in the title. A bunch more of them are places where you brought SFX into an unrelated conversation, such as the thread on "Favorite Smaller Resorts" where you gave a list and included the fact they were all through SFX. https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/favorite-smaller-resorts.247112/#post-1934329

I think that combination of facts makes it fair to ask whether you are affiliated with SFX in any way when you're posting about them.

What an interesting comment! Sorry to disappoint your conspiracy theory, but no, I am not affiliated with them other than being a very happy member over the years. Quite often I see information posted that is contrary to our experience, and I post what our experience has been. Does it bother you that I post our experiences with SFX? Your post make me wonder if this the posse of cyber bullies that appear when posts are not agreeable with your agenda?? This is a site where everyone should be freely allowed to post their experiences, whether you agree with them or not is irrelevant. There are many posters that are constantly either praising or bashing an exchange company or a resort, why aren't you questioning them? We are great fans of SFX, and "if its okay with you", shall continue to post our experiences.

Juli

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
I posted some quantitative facts about your posting history, which is hardly bullying. If you're not affiliated with them I believe you, I just found it odd that someone would post regularly and passionately on one topic, to the point it was the vast majority of their posting. It doesn't bother me at all.

As to my questioning others, I doubt there are too many people who post the vast majority of their content on one narrow topic. I haven't noticed anyone else.

My tone was intended as quantitative and respectful, and I apologize if it didn't come off that way. You are of course entitled to say whatever you want, and if SFX is the primary thing that interests you that's fine.

The only reason I mentioned it was to ask whether you're affiliated with them, and since you answered the question I won't bring it up again.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
And now we are on a topic that has been discussed in detail in other thread(s)....grrrrr.

It should suffice to say that some are happy with SFX and some are not.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
And now we are on a topic that has been discussed in detail in other thread(s)....grrrrr.

It should suffice to say that some are happy with SFX and some are not.

I apologize for derailing your thread. More on topic: do you pay the new HGVC resort fees that RCI is charging through SFX? I know they have held the line better with Vidanta (and if we decide to go back to Vidanta after our next 4 bed Grand Luxxe from II we'll probably use SFX) so I'm curious how they're doing with HGVC.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
Well, no wonder I cannot get the exchanges I want. I am not holding my breath for a second Hawaii week or a second Hilton SeaWorld week. That is disappointing. How am I going to use all of my deposits. SFX really is not a good company.
What was the final result for your second Hawaii week?