• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Did I miss something, or has there been "crickets" from Cynic on this question since it was posed about a month ago?

A time frame (even if only rough approximation) would go a long way toward putting Cynic's input into context, particularly in view of changing RCI practices in recent years (the post-lawsuit creation of "TPU's" being a noteworthy example). :shrug:

I'm guessing more than 5 years ... some of this verbage such as "VEP" reminds me of conversations we had about 10 years ago with RCI personnel, back when trade power was more hidden. So some of Cynic's advice seems outdated. However, I'm always willing to listen, and TUGgers are chiming in with good info.

ottawasquaw

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing more than 5 years ... some of this verbage such as "VEP" reminds me of conversations we had about 10 years ago with RCI personnel, back when trade power was more hidden. So some of Cynic's advice seems outdated. However, I'm always willing to listen, and TUGgers are chiming in with good info.
My take, too. Always open to conversation, though. Personally, I have not used RCI or been a member for years. Still, it seems to thrive. While some of us do just fine without it, I think my mom has pretty good success using it. She is a Ninja though, LOL!

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
Many years ago there was an RCI employee that gave us a lot of inside data until RCI figured out who he was. I cancelled my RCI membership a long time ago and would not consider rejoining if I owned a resort that traded with them. After looking at this thread, I don't see anything unexpected or shocking being exposed.

baspinall

Reaction score
I have a timeshare at Vacation Village in Weston FL. We have owned it for over 15 years and been with RCI. We haven't had the best luck with RCI for the last few years. I just now learned that I can internally exchange with affiliated resorts. How does this work ? Also how does this work with relation to RCI?

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
All it means is that if your unit is in weeks, not RCI points, the exchange fee is lower when exchanging into another VV affiliate. If you paid to upgrade to Vacation Village plus or platinum or whatever they are calling it, there are discounts for all RCI exchanges and bigger discount for internal exchanges to affiliates.

baspinall

Reaction score
So I can't exchange directly with an affiliate. I still have to go through RCI? I see a few affiliates in CA that are NEVER available when looking on RCI's site

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
So I can't exchange directly with an affiliate. I still have to go through RCI? I see a few affiliates in CA that are NEVER available when looking on RCI's site
Try an ongoing search.

beachgurl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
VV Weston
This is off of the VV website:
Timeshare is exchangeable thru Resort Condominiums International (RCI), Platinum Interchange or Interval International. You can also internally exchange to sixty Vacation Village Resorts and Affiliates.

I would call the VV - Concierge Department: 888 629 9593 and inquire how to do the internal exchange.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Interesting. Since I'd be quite interested in that as well and they didn't answer the phone, I sent the following e-mail to the one listed with the phone number you provided,concierge@vacationvillageresorts.com.

To Whom It May Concern:

I own several Vacation Village and affiliate weeks at Massanutten Woodstone, Summit and Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort. The Woodstone and Fort Lauderdale ones are in the RCI points program, but someone just pointed out to me that on your website at http://www.vacationvillageresorts.com/VVR/explore_timeshare.php it states:

Explore Timeshare

Timeshare vacations offer families upscale villa resorts and cherished memories at affordable prices. Today’s timeshares are about flexibility, choice and comfort. Whatever your stage of life, there has never been a better time to discover timeshare vacations through Vacation Village Resorts.

The Timeshare industry over the last twenty five years has evolved from fixed weeks to floating weeks and now Points programs. Each transition along the way provided timeshare owners with greater flexibility planning their vacations. Only Vacation Village Resorts offers all three types of ownership to discerning owners.

Why Timeshare

Points - With Points you have the flexibility to choose how many days you want to stay or where you want to stay. You can use Points to book airlines, hotel stays, rent a car or book a cruise, and more through our Points Partner's Programs.

Flexibility - Exchangeable Worldwide - Timeshare is exchangeable to almost 4,000 destinations and over 100 countries world wide thru Resort Condominiums International (RCI), Platinum Interchange or Interval International. You can also internally exchange to sixty Vacation Village Resorts and Affiliates.

Memories - Family vacations strengthen family bonds while creating a lifetime of memories.

Great Vacation Value - Timeshare allows you to lock in future vacations with today’s dollars. For the cost of about seven family vacations you can leverage your leisure dollars into a lifetime of cherished memories.

Comforts of home - Owners stay in superior accommodations at luxury resorts. Most accommodations are spacious condominiums with fully equipped kitchens and multiple bedrooms with award winning amenities.

I’m interested in the highlighted sentence and attempted to call, but apparently the concierges are a bit busy with other customers. Can you tell me how the internal exchange system works? Because it is described in the highlighted sentence as being an additional system of exchanging to RCI, Platinum Interchange and Interval International, I wanted to explore how this works; I assume it is different than the discounted RCI exchange programs described at http://www.internalexchange.net. Truly appreciate whatever information you can provide on how the system works and what I need to do in order to participate; this had not been explained to me when I purchased these timeshares, but it may be a program that did not exist at the time.

Very Many Thanks in advance for your help on this! I look forward to hearing back from you so that I can share the information with several of my friends that also own Vacation Village resorts.

Regards,
I'll update this once I hear back from them. They've got a decent number of resorts in a good spread of places; it might be worth it depending on the cost and resort week exchange rates....

beachgurl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
VV Weston
Interesting. Since I'd be quite interested in that as well and they didn't answer the phone, I sent the following e-mail to the one listed with the phone number you provided,concierge@vacationvillageresorts.com.

I look forward to seeing what response you get, and to learn how it works.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents

Had some spare time on my hands, so I was checking this out a bit; the VV affiliated resorts in CA that don't show up a lot in RCI are Aquamarine Villas, Casa de la Playa, Laguna Shores, and Laguna Surf. If you go to their web sites, they're all managed by Tricom Management, Inc., which seems to be tightly bound to the Platinum Interchange as the exchange company. I hadn't really known about that one before I saw them discussed on the VV site page that says there is an internal exchange program, so I don't know much about it, but if you want to go to those resorts, you might have to go through them.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You may have already tried this, but I found this link in another forum post.

http://www.internalexchange.net/

I’ve seen it; that’s going through RCI. The way it’s presented on the VV website is you can (1) exchange in RCI, (2) Platinum Interchange, or (3) Interval International and also by (4) internal exchange. They didn’t say internal exchange using RCI; that’s what I was asking about.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My understanding is the internal exchange is only available to Vacation Plus/platinum members. Definitely not resale and even older retail isn't included. You need to have bought retail within the last -maybe 3 years, or paid a fee or bought an additional unit to convert you resale or older retail to the plus/platinum plan. I don't think this can be done for less than $4000 and it may even be higher.

I also don't know if Massanutten offers the program. It is an affiliate but a different developer (Great Eastern) than the direct Vacation Villages properties.

I don't like attending sales because of all of the incorrect information given. If anyone can get a written description and details of the club (more than just notes taken during a sales meeting) I would love to see them.

Last edited:

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Last time I went was very recently in Weston, FL. They were pushing the VV Preferred RCI program and never mentioned internal exchanges other than through RCI. I had noticed a VIP check in area for VV Plus, Preferred & Premier members, and they were a bit hesitant to say anything about that level. The VV Plus & Preferred level have 90 day bonus weeks; they said Premier wasn’t official yet but would have 120 day bonus weeks. The listing of VV Preferred benefits didn’t include anything for exchanging outside of RCI; there were a few things like Sam’ Club membership , though. We didn’t bite; the lowest they got was $10k for a week in FL with a cruddy $/MF and we’ve got plenty of weeks. Besides, I’d hold out for the Premier level after being told that’s coming.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm a veteran RCI employee, no longer with the company. I'm willing to answer any and all questions you may have about exchanging your timeshare.

Much of how the system works is simply not disclosed to consumers, and I'd like to be instrumental in changing that.

I'm going to start a YouTube channel on this topic, and your questions will help me focus on issues most relevant to you.

I never signed a non-disclosure agreement with RCI, and own no stock in any timeshare developer or exchange.

My one and only goal is giving you the most accurate, helpful, and honest information possible.

Ask away, and you will be answered.

EDIT TO ADD: I know most about weeks, and my explanations of value and trading power are likely to be based on RW value, reflected in weeksexchanges and aftermarket purchases. A 90k timeshare may sell for 1k or less aftermarket. It's the nature of the beast.

Cynic; This is very nice of you to offer up your advice and experience of the ins and outs of the RCI exchange program.

With that said (and if you know), does Interval International run their operations identical to RCI ? i.e. do they almost duplicate their operation based upon the RCI model ? I know RCI was in operation prior to Interval International.

Thank you for your input.

fer829

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham points (Limited Edition expires 2023)
I notice that Cynic only posted for 1 week, January 19-25.
I expect that any questions are not going to be answered by him anymore.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Yep, I think Cynic is done with TUG. I hope not.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
To the OP, can you explain to us why some timeshare resorts are now charging resort fees to exchange guests?