• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cabo bound February 2018

dr.debs

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
My family, husband, and daughter (age 13) are heading to Cabo San Lucas for the first time at the end of Feb. 2018. I traded into the Villa Del Palmar on Medano beach using a late deposit in II. I would appreciate any recommendations for activities, restaurants etc. I can still get ePlus if the consensus is to try to change to another resort. ‍♀️, snorkeling, restaurants, and Mercado’s are important to us. We are not planning on renting a car nor do we plan on AI. Thanks for your insights!

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Stay away from the whale slide, or be really careful. It's made of concrete and many split their heads on the exit. We saw 4 in the week we were there.
20161226_123125-2.jpg

But the onsite Dr. is great.

dr.debs

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. A picture is worth a thousands words so I have already shown this to the dear daughter!

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Thanks for the tip. A picture is worth a thousands words so I have already shown this to the dear daughter!
I won't show you the one of his scalp. It's worth about 10 million words.

dr.debs

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ouch...:wall:

rboesl

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
Villa Del Palmar is pretty close to the marina. You can find some very good restaurants there. You can also get a boat trip to get out close to the arch (which is something I'd recommend). There's a zipline experience that's about half way between Cabo San Lucas and Los Cabos. The other activity we really enjoyed was the Dolphin Experience. You can either get in the water with the dolphins or swim with them. Either way it's way cool and I'm sure your 13 year would love it.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Since this will be your first trip to Cabo, I will give you a warning. Don't attend any Mexican TS presentation. I know that you said that you won't be renting a car but hopefully you will have pre-arranged transportation to Villa Del Palmar.

Also, getting through the airport can be a little challenging if you don't know what you are doing. When you arrive at the San Jose del Cabo International Airport, you will be ushered through Immigration. Then you will collect your luggage and proceed to get checked out by Customs. Officials are there to help you at every step of the way. Once you have been given the go-ahead from Customs (red light or green light), you exit the airport on your own. You must pass through 2 lobbies of time-share sales people and other vendors. Admittedly, this process can be annoying and intimidating. Despite what these people tell you, know that you are not required to share any information with these Tank Sharks. This area looks like a hotel desk, but go straight through the sliding doors and go outside the terminal to the Shuttle area. Once you are outside the airport, relax and enjoy your vacation. Other than that minor inconvenience, Cabo is a fantastic place to visit.

February is a great time to visit Cabo because the whales will also be visiting. I would highly also recommend a whale watching tour. We will also be visiting Cabo for our fourth trip next February.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
If you can afford it swimming with the Whale Sharks in La Paz is fantastic. Whale Sharks are filter feeders. Skip Todos Santos and Hotel California. The Hotel is not associated with the Eagles. There is one Zipline Activity that it much more I believe it is through Cabo Adventure. It includes cliff climb, repelling, crossing wire bridges. We greatly enjoyed it. There are several opportunities to swim with dolphins. We enjoyed the one in that is in the Harbour at San Jose del Cabo. You are in the harbour/sea water with the Dolphins and not just a large pool. If you take an evening/dinner cruise be careful on which boat you are on. Some are huge party boats and not appropriate for children. A year and a half ago we were on a dud. It spend most of its time in one place close to the beach and hotels in Cabo San Lucas. Every activity of which we are aware will pick you up at your Resort and drop you off afterwards. We like finding hole in the wall places to eat and try to avoid the tourist restaurants. The snorkeling cruises will include food and drink. They will take you to Playa Santa Maria or Playa Chileno along with a hundred other tourists and there will be several boats all at the same time. Go 5 to 8 blocks away from the Marina and you can find good local restaurants for 1/4 the price of those near the Marina.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
You can walk along Medano beach toward the marina and you'll find some places to eat on the beach. Once you pass a big open area or arroyo, as you head to the right from Villa del Palmar (if you're facing the ocean), you'll come to Tabasco's. Further down the beach is Mango Deck and The Office. All are fun places with good food. If you keep going (and it's a long walk) you'll come to the marina. You might want to walk down there and take a cab back.

The resorts you'll pass are Villa La Estancia (next to VDP), Cascadas de Baja, Pueblo Bonito Rose (the pink one), Pueblo Bonito Los Cabos (the white one, also known as the Blanco). Next are Casa Dorada, ME Cabo, Cabo Villas, and some privately-owned condos.

I've read on another website that there's a really good place to get a massage on the beach for a good price near Tabasco's.

Janann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs
Definitely go to The Office for a meal. We usually just get a light lunch of margaritas and ceviche or shrimp cocktail. The servings are huge. We were there a couple months ago and paid far too much, so be careful with the type of drinks you are ordering. Also, "water" means high-end bottled water, which was expensive. So I recommend the restaurant, but check the pricing carefully.

Ziplining at Wild Canyon is great, but everyone in the group needs to be very physically fit. Carrying your gear from station to station is a workout. I was surprised that I really enjoyed the camel encounter -- we got to "meet" the camels, feed them carrots, and learn about them. After that we took a 30 minute ride around the canyon. Of course you can buy photos of your day, and the photographer did a really nice job. We ended up buying the entire CD.

Correcaminos

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi, Deb -- you might want to Google "Cabo passport" and check out the discounts this card offers. We have found some great restaurants this way. We really enjoyed the tours that Rancho Tours offers - many discounted through the Cabo Passport, and the company will pick you up and drop you off at your hotel. You can order/pay for the Passport card online and have it shipped to you at home or at your resort - or you can buy it in town. We now buy the card now for every trip we make to Cabo: it saves us money on our favorites and encourages us to try some new things. (...and we don't get any commission for the recommendation -- just want to share our good experiences with it!)

dr.debs

TUG Member
Reaction score

I know that you said that you won't be renting a car but hopefully you will have pre-arranged transportation to Villa Del Palmar.”

Thank you for the advice-as far as pre-arranging transportation to the villa Del Palmar, do you have any suggestions? I know you can arrange with the resort.

dr.debs

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you can afford it swimming with the Whale Sharks in La Paz is fantastic. Whale Sharks are filter feeders.”

I have heard others recommend this! Sounds great-Thanks!

dr.debs

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can walk along Medano beach toward the marina and you'll find some places to eat on the beach. Once you pass a big open area or arroyo, as you head to the right from Villa del Palmar (if you're facing the ocean), you'll come to Tabasco's. Further down the beach is Mango Deck and The Office. All are fun places with good food. If you keep going (and it's a long walk) you'll come to the marina. You might want to walk down there and take a cab back.

The resorts you'll pass are Villa La Estancia (next to VDP), Cascadas de Baja, Pueblo Bonito Rose (the pink one), Pueblo Bonito Los Cabos (the white one, also known as the Blanco). Next are Casa Dorada, ME Cabo, Cabo Villas, and some privately-owned condos.

I've read on another website that there's a really good place to get a massage on the beach for a good price near Tabasco's.

Thanks for the restaurant recommendations!

oldxr

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are staying in the Medano beach area you won’t need a car.The Cabo adventures zip line sends shuttle busses out to the resorts but you have to arrange the pick up through your resort.A tip for the zip lines-go early it gets hot there.You can save money by getting food for your room at Walmart or at least snacks.There are major banks at the Walmart that it is safe to use your atm card at to get money.Do not change money at the airport-it is a rip-off.I hate that lobby with all the time share guys on it at the airport.I separate from my wife and tell them I live there.If you like more local style restaurants there is a place downtown called Maro’s that serves a very good 1/2 kilo lobster 1/2 kilo shrimp special for cheap.I feel that a lot of the restaurants on the marina the food is only average and over priced.Being from central California I get better Mexican food at home cheaper.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Following this thread with interest. My wife and I will be in Los Cabos at the Westin for a four-night $299 "preview" package in mid-February and then adding on one cash night for a five night stay. We have no interest in the Vistana/Westin program (especially from the developer), but it is an inexpensive way to see the Los Cabos area for the first time. It will be our first trip to anywhere in Mexico. I am hoping since it will be a Westin presentation it won't be as negative an experience as all of the other Mexico timeshare presentations I read about.

The Westin is closer to San Jose del Cabo than Cabo San Lucas, and we're not planning on a car, so we'll need to rely on shuttles when we leave the resort.

We love whale watching in Hawaii, so our big must-do is a whale watch. Any recommendations on the best whale watches in Los Cabos? Any other must do/must see?

I've heard the restaurants in San Jose del Cabo are better than those in Cabo San Lucas and it is a little more laid back than the "party town" in CSL. Is that true?

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
We always have breakfast at The Office, but it's a healthy walk so you may want to take a cab. The portions are huge. I really like the Mexican eggs. You can ask your waiter to call The Office panga. I can't remember the price, but you get a discount if you have your Office receipt. Last time we were the only two people on the panga - so it was a private ride. They will take you to Lover's beach - just tell them when you want to be picked up - or have them take you on the tour around the arch and around the Pacific side. They bring you back to the beach in front of The Office.

I thought that Villa del Palmar was fine. I was expecting worse so I was pleasantly surprised. I did not go down the whale slide, luckily.

I'm pretty sure that we used Cabo-Adventures Whale Watching.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
The Westin is closer to San Jose del Cabo than Cabo San Lucas, and we're not planning on a car, so we'll need to rely on shuttles when we leave the resort. . . You are going to be rather isolated at the Westin without a car. I'm not familiar with any shuttles they may provide so you may want to investigate that further. It has been several years since we stayed there and we had a car.

I've heard the restaurants in San Jose del Cabo are better than those in Cabo San Lucas and it is a little more laid back than the "party town" in CSL. Is that true? I obviously have not eaten at every restaurant in San Jose or Cabo San Lucas, but I believe there are more restaurants in Cabo San Lucas and there are many that are quite good. One in San Jose that we enjoyed was at The Tropicana Inn on the main street in town. I think on Thursday nights they have an Art Walk in downtown San Jose as there are many art galleries, and that usually gets good reviews.

Also, San Jose is a bit quieter as far as the nightlife goes. There are some crazy nightclubs in Cabo San Lucas where I'm sure it gets pretty rowdy, but for the most part, it is what you make it. The resorts tend to be pretty quiet, in my experience.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
I don't recall any shuttles. There is the local Bus on the Highway. It is about a mile walk from the Westin to the Highway. For 1 of our 3 weeks in January (Jan 20 - 27) we will be at the RVC/Club Regina which is next to the Westin. Last time we were at the Club Regina we could sit on our Patio and watch the Whales play in the water just off the Resort.

We like San Jose del Cabo more than Cabo San Lucas. It is not as crowded or noisy. There are all the tourist shops you need. But also better stores. Wednesday Nights they have an Art Walk. The Galleries are open later, many Artists are present, some of The Galleries offer Wine or Tequila and maybe some small bites.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Why are you not renting a car? We always rent a car. The Westin is on the Corridor between Cabo San Lucas and San Jose del Cabo but slightly closer to San Jose del Cabo. You will have to rely upon Taxis and the Local Bus. Most activities - Dinner/Sunset Cruises, Snorkling Trips, Zip Lining, Dolphins, etc will pick you up at the Resort and drop you off afterwards. But if you just want to go into town to walk around, have dinner, etc you will use taxis.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Why are you not renting a car? We always rent a car. The Westin is on the Corridor between Cabo San Lucas and San Jose del Cabo but slightly closer to San Jose del Cabo. You will have to rely upon Taxis and the Local Bus. Most activities - Dinner/Sunset Cruises, Snorkling Trips, Zip Lining, Dolphins, etc will pick you up at the Resort and drop you off afterwards. But if you just want to go into town to walk around, have dinner, etc you will use taxis.

We've never rented a car outside of the U.S. and this is our first trip to Mexico, so that unfamiliarity makes us a little reluctant to do that on a first trip. We were planning to use cabs. I suspect at least one night, maybe two, we'll try one of the resort restaurants at the Westin, so that leaves three nights when we may need to cab to dinner and back. We also figured since the whale watches and other cruise/boat activities usually depart from Cabo San Lucas, we could even use the activity company to pick us up from the Westin on that day(s), but then stay in town for dinner and just have to cab back to the Westin one-way. Trips into San Jose del Cabo would have to be two-way cabs, but since it's closer, the fare should be cheaper. Any idea about current cab fares into Cabo San Lucas and San Jose del Cabo from the Westin each way?

jlp879

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tripadvisor recent reviews are the best place to find those prices. Mexican taxicabs are heavily regulated and the fees should be flat fees.

Westin to San Jose del Cabo - $25 each way
Westin to Cabo San Lucas - $35 each way

If you're adventurous, the bus is $2 per person.

jlp879

TUG Member
Reaction score
My "go to" list for food in Cabo is Trapper's List. http://trapperscabolist.com/list.html

For a fun authentic casual meal we enjoyed Las Gaucamaya's. They have a location in Cabo San Lucas and San Jose. The Molcajete (stone bowl) is a huge, delicious meal. This place was recommended to us by our timeshare bartender.

For a relaxing, romantic restaurant on the beach, try the Cascadas Grill located in the Cascadas de Baja timeshare which you would get to along the beach from the Villa del Palmar. In the evening, they set their tables in the sand and you'll have tiki torches surrounding you. The food is U.S. prices, but the ambience is worth it. Nothing like wiggling your toes in the sand during dinner!

The location of the Villa del Palmar is very good. You can walk into town if you're feeling energetic. It's a more pleasant walk along the beach, but it's still doable along Camino Real.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Two of the Restaurants we have really enjoyed in San Jose del Cabo are Petit Masala (Indian Food) and Mariscos El Toro Guero (Seafood).

dr.debs

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your replies and advice! We just returned from our Cabo Adventure and enjoyed ourselves. I have posted a review “The Villa Del Palmar Cabo San Lucas: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly” in resort reviews. The restaurants we enjoyed were Las Guacamayas and the Mocajete there, Tres Gardenias for delicious fish tacos walking distance from the Del Palmar, Sur Beach House was fabulous and worthy of a splurge-best Margarita the whole trip and the Tuna Tartare Tostadas the best taste the whole trip. We also went to Cabo Waco as my husband is a Sammy Hagar fan. The catch of the day was Yellow Fin Tuna and it was delicious. I went Parasailing with Baja Sports and it was terrific. We saw lots of whale spouts and fins/tails from the beach, but be careful with whale watching/sunset cruises. We went with Oceana which was supposed to be family friendly and do whale watching but it was a booze cruise and they ignored any spouts we saw. We also went to San Jose Del Cabo for the Art walk and that was really fun. Next time staying, Villa Del Arco will be our choice as it is quieter, with better restaurants, and the surf there is calmer.