• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Which HGVC should I purchase

Trudyt623

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC-Animal Kingdom, Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Hi, I am visiting HGVC NYC and just finished my presentation. I would now like to add one of these units to my portfolio. I am considering HGVC Flamingo (Las Vegas) because of no ROFR or HGVC Tuscany (Orlando) because of price and would like a platinum 2br lockout. Which of these would be more sensible based on cost vs points? I own Disney points and also, 2 Marriott units - resale. I like the hotel options of Hilton so I will be using this mostly for places where Marriott timeshares are not available.

Trudy

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
It sounds like you plan to use the HGVC property purely for internal trading purposes. If that's the case, I don't think there is one over the other--unless you consider that it would be easier to get to the Orlando property from New York should you ever decide to use it. As you know, both Orlando and Las Vegas are some of the most overbuilt timeshare locales in North America. Buying one will be easy, but re-selling them to get any sort of value will be pretty difficult.

You mention you'd use the HGVC ownership to trade into Hilton hotel points. That's not a good choice. The cost of annual maintenance fees for what you'd be getting for Hilton hotels is prohibitive. It's actually just better to book the hotel rooms directly than do it in an indirect way through HGVC.

HGVC is a fantastic timeshare system. One of the big pluses is that resale owners get nearly all of the same privileges as developer owners. The website was updated earlier this year and is very functional. You will enjoy your ownership, though--if I were you--I would buy at a location I actually wanted to visit frequently and use it as a timeshare instead of for access to hotel rooms.

Last edited:

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
What locations do you plan to use this for?

Trudyt623

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks Walnut Baron. During this morning's presentation I was told we can use our points in hotels locally and internationally. I assuming by your comment the points needed will be very high.

GT75 I would like to use both, hotels and HGVC.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I would like to use both, hotels and HGVC

In general, it is a poor use of points to use for anything (such as HH, cruise, car rental, sailboat rental, Houseboat rental, ect.) other than it's intended purpose which is booking via HGVC. Some have been able to get some good value books via RCI but I still wouldn't recommend buying HGVC to book via RCI. I would look at those books as gravy because the rules could change in the future for example. I assume you know that you will only get 25 HH (not 50 like The Hilton Club properties) points to 1 HGVC point at Flamingo or Tuscany. In addition, in order to receive the 25 to 1, you must convert the next years allotment of ClubPoints.

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
If you buy West 57, Residences or Hilton Club in NYC you can get 50:1 Hilton Honors but you should also want to use NYC as your favorite HGVC location.

Trudyt623

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The sales agent was trying to see us on a $102,000 package consisting of I believe 14,000 points for the for the Residences in NYC. This was totally out of the question! She ended by saying the person who sells the (small) HGVC packages did not want to waste our time, as he knows we are resale buyers, but he has a $12,000 package which included 7,000 points. Now that I have looked around on the internet I see that this price sounds a little too good.

Trudyt623

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you buy West 57, Residences or Hilton Club in NYC you can get 50:1 Hilton Honors but you should also want to use NYC as your favorite HGVC location.

Does this mean if I buy a resale package of 7,000 points in NYC I will receive 350,000 points annually?

Trudyt623

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
In general, it is a poor use of points to use for anything (such as HH, cruise, car rental, sailboat rental, Houseboat rental, ect.) other than it's intended purpose which is booking via HGVC. Some have been able to get some good value books via RCI but I still wouldn't recommend buying HGVC to book via RCI. I would look at those books as gravy because the rules could change in the future for example. I assume you know that you will only get 25 HH (not 50 like The Hilton Club properties) points to 1 HGVC point at Flamingo or Tuscany. In addition, in order to receive the 25 to 1, you must convert the next years allotment of ClubPoints.

No, I was not aware of the conversion to club points. This is my first day looking at Hilton so I have to continue reading on the forum to learn more.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Does this mean if I buy a resale package of 7,000 points in NYC I will receive 350,000 points annually?

7,000 HC points x 50 = 350,000 HH-pesos.
Test: At an avg. of 50,000/night, how many hotel-nights does that get you?
It'd be worth it, if you'd rather stay at a Hampton Inn than a Hilton Club resort.
Also, there are better ways to earn HH-points.

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana

Yes, however as shared here, I would not recommend buying a timeshare primarily to get Hilton Honor points.

Last edited:

Trudyt623

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I like the idea having the flexibility to book hotels in areas that don't have timeshares and to also book a few days to add on to a timeshare week. Does anyone know what the conversion rate will be annually?

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I like the idea having the flexibility to book hotels in areas that don't have timeshares and to also book a few days to add on to a timeshare week. Does anyone know what the conversion rate will be annually?

Do the math, are you really thinking about spending $1800 a year maint fees plus the buy in cost to spend 7 nights in hotels?

You can already book them with cash and be money ahead.

Seriously, you are still drunk on the salesman’s kool-aid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

CiCi

Reaction score
Do the math, are you really thinking about spending $1800 a year maint fees plus the buy in cost to spend 7 nights in hotels?

You can already book them with cash and be money ahead.

Seriously, you are still drunk on the salesman’s kool-aid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I travel alot for work and have been a diamond HH member for years. We also attended a NYC presentation a couple of years ago and decided to buy at that time....but not from them. When they talked about being able to convert points, we never even considered that.

We found this website a day before our meeting and hooked up with Diane Nadeau for an 8400 Seaworld annual premium week.

So far we are throughly enjoying our timeshare, thanks in part to this great group of people. We learned the “ins and outs” and have skied in Park City at Christmastime and are headed to Hawaii this year.

It may be just me, but I would never think of using my timeshare points as HH points. We use HH points for mini-vacations.

For example, we just came back from five nights in NYC...we used 320k HH points to stay four floors below the Hilton New York Club. Would we do it again? In a heartbeat. As someone mentioned, to pay closing costs, maintenance and booking fees when never intending to use it as a timeshare seems a total waste to me. Use the TS as a TS and HH points for other trips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mosescan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Vegas Blvd, Craigendarroch lodges x 2
If having a home resort matters to you, ie somewhere you want to stay a lot and be guaranteed your room when you want it then you want to buy that site specifically. If however you plan on using your points at a variety of locations then you want to maximize points to maintenance fee ratios and also factor in initial purchase cost.

Example

I just purchased a 9600 point unit in Scotland at craigendarroch lodges. Purchase price was approx. $14000 cdn and my maintenance fees will be approx. $1400 yr Canadian. lets factor that over 10 years. Total money spent will be $28000 for 96000 points which gives me a ratio of $0.291/point over 10 years. This is in Cdn dollars and approx.

Your 7000 point unit for $12000 with an estimated maint fee of $1000/yr would work out to $22000 for 70000 points over 10 years or $0.314/point and that would be in US dollars or about $0.41/point Cdn.

There is a tagged post here that lists the best maint fee/point ratios. As a general rule platinums have the best ratios. Maint fees seem to be based on the size of the unit you own with no regard for which season. So a 2 bdrm in gold season is 5000 pts and in platinum season is 7000 pts but would have the same maint fees.

As an aside, the two units I just purchased in Scotland at after market prices were sold to my by Hilton/HGVC at Craigendarroch lodges and so count towards elite status which most resales don't.

Cheers and happy hunting.