• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Transfer and Points Use Help

Vacation Tim

TUG Member
Reaction score
New to Tugg and would appreciate thoughts on the following. My sister has offered me her Wyndham timeshare. It’s platinum VIP with 1,000,00 points. UDI contract with Grand Desert in Las Vegas as home resort. It’s my understanding that we can’t transfer it without losing VIP status because I don’t meet there definition of relative (at least that was what I was told at most recent “owner update” where they tried to sell me points!) What’s the best way to handle this? My thought is to add me to the deed (my sister is fine with staying on the deed - I’ll just take over). Any other ideas? Second question is what to do with 900,000+ 2017 points. She already has over 2.5 millions points rolled into RCI so that’s not a good option. Am I correct we can now transfer to 2018 or 2019 in Wyndham?

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
New to Tugg and would appreciate thoughts on the following. My sister has offered me her Wyndham timeshare. It’s platinum VIP with 1,000,00 points. UDI contract with Grand Desert in Las Vegas as home resort. It’s my understanding that we can’t transfer it without losing VIP status because I don’t meet there definition of relative (at least that was what I was told at most recent “owner update” where they tried to sell me points!) What’s the best way to handle this? My thought is to add me to the deed (my sister is fine with staying on the deed - I’ll just take over). Any other ideas? Second question is what to do with 900,000+ 2017 points. She already has over 2.5 millions points rolled into RCI so that’s not a good option. Am I correct we can now transfer to 2018 or 2019 in Wyndham?
Your exactly right ! Just ad you to the deed to keep VIP Platinum status intact. Yes you can still transfer 2017 points to 2018 or 2019 till the end of the year because she is VIP Platinum. I believe the cost is $19.00 to transfer the points.

In a few years you can hopefully take your sister off the deed and keep the VIP Platinum status intact. Just leave it in both names as long as possible

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not needed in light of the following posts.

Last edited:

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you find out in a few years that you enjoy and want to keep the membership. You could check out setting up a trust to put the ownership in to in order to keep the VIP Platinum status. I'm not an attorney but there are owners that have advised that they set up trust for that very purpose

Vacation Tim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Do we just contact Wyndham for the deed change?

ausman

TUG Member
Reaction score
It’s my understanding that we can’t transfer it without losing VIP status because I don’t meet there definition of relative (at least that was what I was told at most recent “owner update” where they tried to sell me points!)

I think you have received some bad information from the salesperson. If you acquire ownership from an "immediate relative" , Siblings (your sister) are defined as immediate relatives, the the VIP status transfers. See page 344 of the current directory. You should be able to take it over without your sister as co-owner although that is also an option.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
How would you prove you are sisters? Most women take their husbands last names ... do you have certified copies both of your birth certificate and marriage certificates?

OutSkiing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Midtown 45, Bali Hai, Margaritaville
I think you have received some bad information from the salesperson. If you acquire ownership from an "immediate relative" , Siblings (your sister) are defined as immediate relatives, the the VIP status transfers. See page 344 of the current directory. You should be able to take it over without your sister as co-owner although that is also an option.
Here is a link to page 344 of that directory:

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/wyndham/plus_membersdirectory1415/index.php#/360

It hasn't been printed since this 2014/2015 version. Sure enough it says 'currently includes' and then a list of relatives including siblings. I guess that would take a call to confirm and get it transferred.

And yes, platinum owners can deposit into 2018 or 2019 until end of December. You can log into myclubwyndham.com and go to My Ownership / Exchanges and then click on points deposit. Then select the number of points and the year. I believe the charge is $39 online or $49 if calling into a vacation counseler.

Bob

Vacation Tim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Bob. I appreciate the link. It will make things easier if we can just title it in my and my wives name.

Vacation Tim

TUG Member
Reaction score
One last rookie question. Will the points she has rolled over to RCI transfer when we transfer the Wyndham deed?

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Bob. I appreciate the link. It will make things easier if we can just title it in my and my wives name.
One last rookie question. Will the points she has rolled over to RCI transfer when we transfer the Wyndham deed?
I didn't realize siblings qualified to keep VIP status when transferred. Good news for you. Owners in the past have posted that Wyndham will transfer the ownership free of charge [$299.00 savings] but you still have to transfer the deed yourselves first. Hope somebody else who has done a family transfer will respond on your thread. I would definitely call title department or Ovation and ask about transferring ownership and keeping VIP Platinum status intact. Get something in writing that you will keep VIP Platinum before removing your sister from the deed.

As far points in RCI you never know its been reported both ways but usually lost I believe.

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Normal rule is the RCI account stays with the current owner. However comma since this is a family transfer situation, RCI can, if they want to, create your account than merge the two RCI accounts. When I took over timeshares from relatives, I ended up with control of a number RCI accounts that I got merged. I do not remember if they just transferred things from one account to the other or actually put them together.

Given what I consider to be high RCI fees and Resort fees associated with using RCI (I ran into that one at a Atlantic City resort), you may want to leave the RCI account alone if the current owner still travels. If you want to use a few of them, a RCI guest pass could be used.

Check with RCI before doing anything. Call both the Wyndham/RCI people through the regular Wyndham number asking for them and call the regular RCI number. They do not always say the same thing. What you do not want to happen is to take all of the Wyndham contracts then they close the existing RCI account and not let anyone use what is in there.

Or, just live with two RCI accounts. If I remember, they let you have two names on the account. One could be the existing owner one could be you. Than open your own Wyndham/RCI account.

Last edited:

Vacation Tim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyndham confirmed (first via phone and later confirmed in writing via e-mail) that you do retain VIP status in a transfer to siblings. Is there any reason I shouldn’t prepare the deed myself and save the hassle of a title company? I’m comfortable with deeds (have done several 20+ years ago in a previous life as a lawyer), but have never dealt with a timeshare transfer.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyndham confirmed (first via phone and later confirmed in writing via e-mail) that you do retain VIP status in a transfer to siblings. Is there any reason I shouldn’t prepare the deed myself and save the hassle of a title company? I’m comfortable with deeds (have done several 20+ years ago in a previous life as a lawyer), but have never dealt with a timeshare transfer.
There is no reason you can't do it yourself if comfortable with the process. Just copy the legal description and change the Grantor and Grantee as needed.

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Please do not take this the wrong way, but if you were a attorney at one point and did some deeds, you may want to ask yourself.