• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wyndham bought 6/5 have 2 days to cancel- should I??

KatWyn

Reaction score
Do the fees actually go up up up?
Is it super difficult to actually find a good week with points?
I'm freaking out thinking I should cancel before they take my $20k for 126000 yearly points? Help?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
There is one universal rule when purchasing a timeshare from the developer: RESCIND while you still can. The resale market will allow you to buy the same or very similar ownership at a fraction of the price you paid. Be sure to carefully follow ALL of the provisions spelled out in your contract for rescission--and then mail your rescission letter certified, return receipt requested. That way you will know that Wyndham received your letter and you will also know the date it was received. You will also have proof of the date you sent the rescission letter. As long as you follow the rules and get the letter sent in time, you will get a full refund.

KatWyn

Reaction score
Thank you. Am sending the letter now. Ugh, I feel like a sucker:(

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nope. You're not a sucker. I would wager that at least 3/4 of us TUGgers bought initially from the developer before finding TUG. You're in good company!

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
KatWyn ... you are lucky... remember to send rescind letter CERTIFIED MAIL return receipt and also, a copy REGULAR MAIL ... note this after your signatureS on both copies.

What you brought for $20,000 can be had for almost FREE on this web site and eBay plus other ad sites.

You did NOT mention exactly what you brought ... CWA or CWP at which resort?

Answer here ONLY after your rescind letters on in the mail. You have a lot to learn before buying any timeshare.

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Katwyn, this whole timeshare thing is incredibly detailed, complicated, and confusing. That said, it offers the opportunity for you and your family to enjoy some fantastic vacations in accommodations that are MUCH roomier and nicer than a typical hotel room--and at a fraction of what you'd pay for that hotel room.

You also should understand that timeshare is complicated for a number of reasons: 1) there are many developer companies, all of which have developed their own systems, their own points scales and pricing, and their own rules about reservation windows, upgrade opportunities, cancellation policies, and the like; 2) it actually behooves the developers to make their systems complicated, because they are first and foremost motivated by profit--and if they can keep their owners from fully understanding their systems and squeezing every last penny out of their ownership, that tends to work to the advantage of the developer; 3) the market is dynamic--so that just when you feel like you've got a good handle on things, the rules get changed or new programs are introduced that must be learned all over again. This is happening now within both the Wyndham and Hyatt systems, for example.

It will take you months to read and absorb how these systems work. TUG moderators have provided very useful stickies at the top of each of the various systems' BBS boards which will help familiarize you with how the systems work, property locations and points and seasons charts. You should read and absorb those, as that will also help you to begin to narrow down which system or systems you think will best meet your needs for future vacations. Once you've done that, I advise you to just dig into the BBS of the system(s) you prefer. Your questions will begin to be more pointed, more precise and less general, and you'll have more confidence about making your first purchase.

KatWyn

Reaction score
KatWyn ... you are lucky... remember to send rescind letter CERTIFIED MAIL return receipt and also, a copy REGULAR MAIL ... note this after your signatureS on both copies.

What you brought for $20,000 can be had for almost FREE on this web site and eBay plus other ad sites.

You did NOT mention exactly what you brought ... CWA or CWP at which resort?

Answer here ONLY after your rescind letters on in the mail. You have a lot to learn before buying any timeshare.

I don't even know what that means! Gonna read all the contracts now that I'm in the process of rescinding .

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Certified Mail us what the US Post Office service is for a LEGAL NOTICE which is a legal means to serve a mailing to another party. It is YOUR LEGAL PROOF for when it was mailed and to whom.

If you send a regular mail letter, you have NO PROOF you mail anything nor WHAT day the other party received it. Certified Mail sent is "PROOF of date of mailing and who you sent it to". They can not legally argue YOU did not mail it IN the TIME your signed contract required.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do the fees actually go up up up?

If you mean the annual maintenance fees, then the answer is that they usually do go up and up, just like almost anything else in life. The difference with MFs is that they seem to go up faster than the rate of inflation which is one reason why you see so many owners wanting to dump their TSs, even for free. That, in turn, makes many free TSs available for free for people like you to pick up (if you so desire).

So that is one major factor to consider before buying (or picking up for free) a TS. Hence, I will emphasize what others have already said. Rescind while you can and follow the instructions very carefully. Then take time to research TSs and decide what option would best suit you and your family's needs and preferences.

KatWyn

Reaction score
Thanks all! I hope I did everything right. Mailed 3 different copies, 2 certified to 2 different addresses and 1 overnight to their street address. Can't do overnight certified. Hopeful that they don't totally suck and simply take care of my wishes. I am going to be asking lots of questions as we consider buying resale. Again, thank you all so much for each of your comments. I'll keep you posted.

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks all! I hope I did everything right. Mailed 3 different copies, 2 certified to 2 different addresses and 1 overnight to their street address. Can't do overnight certified. Hopeful that they don't totally suck and simply take care of my wishes. I am going to be asking lots of questions as we consider buying resale. Again, thank you all so much for each of your comments. I'll keep you posted.

As long as you followed the instructions exactly as written in your contract to rescind the purchase, they are LEGALLY required to refunded your money and terminate the contract. Doesn't matter if they suck or not. What's important is that you followed the contract instructions correctly.

KatWyn

Reaction score
So I've read that they'll call us and try to convince us to change our minds. Can we simply not take any of the calls? I'm feeling like after I see that the letters have been delivered to not answer the phone until this is resolved.

m4travels

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I've read that they'll call us and try to convince us to change our minds. Can we simply not take any of the calls? I'm feeling like after I see that the letters have been delivered to not answer the phone until this is resolved.

No one is required to answer a ringing phone at any point (unless, of course, you're in a work environment and the boss says to answer it).

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If by chance you do answer the call, it can be a very short conversation: "I decided to rescind because I've since learned I can buy the same thing for pennies on the dollar in the resale market. I know you'll tell me what a terrible mistake that is, but the real mistake was signing that contract in a weak moment when I was on my vacation trying to relax. Ever since I did sign, I've been anything but relaxed, and I blame Wyndham for that." I doubt the sales weasels will push much harder after that.

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
To the OP: If you haven't done so already--and as part of your due diligence in your search for an acceptable resale purchase--be sure to read carefully and thoroughly the pretty amazing stuff being discussed on the Wyndham BBS right now. Owners have been hijacked by a huge mess involving a new website used for points management and reservations--and it's now being speculated that the new website was rushed into existence without testing because Wyndham had grossly mismanaged the points trust which was on the verge of collapse.

My advice? Don't purchase a Wyndham timeshare until this mess has been completely straightened out--which appears to be at least weeks, if not months, away. No use putting your hard-earned dollars into a mess of colossal proportions--at least not right now.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
So glad you took the advice here. There are so many great timeshares you can get for free, or nearly free, and developer purchases are always a huge waste of money.

When I was a kid (I am 62), my dad always said never to buy a new car because it depreciates 20% as you drive it off of the lot. I admit that I haven't done well with that advice. A Wyndham points package that you almost bought loses 99.9% of the value when that rescission period is over and done.

Congratulations for doing the smart thing. You are smarter than most people who buy, because you came here and found out the truth. Now consider what you really want for vacations and buy something cheaply to accomplish your goals. There are lots of people to advise you here. Just ask.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
congrats, you just saved 20k!

most people dont get the chance to avoid that mistake...enjoy that extra 20k on some amazing family vacations!