• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Dollar keeps going up, so why don't mexican maintenance fees adjust for that.

scobrn

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We love our Hacienda del Mar in Cabo timeshare, however our maintenance fees go up each year based on the Mexican inflation rate. Fees have nearly doubled in 10 years. At the same time, the value of the dollar has nearly doubled. When taking the increased value of the dollar into account, there shouldn't be any increase in maintenance fees. Is anyone else experiencing the same thing at other resorts in Mexico? There must be something we can do. This is just a windfall for Mexican timeshares.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Isn't it the opposite? While the dollar's value "increases" for you, they get less value.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I pay my mf for my Mexican timeshares , UVCI, with USD. UVCI then pays their employees and operating expenses in Mexico with pesos. This means that UVCI does benefit from the USD conversion to pesos. UVCI has been very good at keeping the mf in check and their resorts maintained.

Bill

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
We love our Hacienda del Mar in Cabo timeshare, however our maintenance fees go up each year based on the Mexican inflation rate. Fees have nearly doubled in 10 years. At the same time, the value of the dollar has nearly doubled. When taking the increased value of the dollar into account, there shouldn't be any increase in maintenance fees. Is anyone else experiencing the same thing at other resorts in Mexico? There must be something we can do. This is just a windfall for Mexican timeshares.

You can look at it 2 ways .

1) It is a windfall / adds to their bottom line
2) It allows them to continue to offer daily cleaning and towel service etc. / amenities that have disappeared in many US Timeshares .

What has the MF doubled to in $ xxx ? / If you feel the resort level and services is comparable to Marriott / Hyatt / Hilton / Westin - Sheraton
is the MF higher - lower - the same .

Very few TS have resale value so does what you pay get you good vacation value ?

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Your headlines has it wrong. The US dollar has recently decreased in value by about 5%, compared to currencies like the Euro and the Mexican Peso...and perhaps others.

Cnatman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Sands (31/32)
Your headlines has it wrong. The US dollar has recently decreased in value by about 5%, compared to currencies like the Euro and the Mexican Peso...and perhaps others.

Alternative Facts! The original post was based on a ten year history, not simply the volatility within a single year.

I have experienced the exact same MF increase at The Royal Sands over the past ten years. It has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not it is still a great resort, just a simple economic calculation (Peso conversion rate calculated based on Jan 1 value).

MF for 2007 - $750
Peso Conv - 10.79
Peso Value - 8,092 Pesos

MF for 2017 - $1,037
Peso Conv - 20.73
Peso Value - 21,497

Increase in Peso value over past ten years from 8,092 to 21,497 = 166%. This almost exactly 10% compounded annually from 2007 to 2017.

The nice thing with the Sands is you can actually see the full budget and where MF are going, Hurricane reserves, property improvements, etc. No increase for 2016 or 2017.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Some (many) expenses will eventually end up denominated in USD. Anything imported, of course, but a weakening currency often goes hand in hand with wage inflation, so the workers have a comparable purchasing power.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Alternative Facts! The original post was based on a ten year history, not simply the volatility within a single year.

I have experienced the exact same MF increase at The Royal Sands over the past ten years. It has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not it is still a great resort, just a simple economic calculation (Peso conversion rate calculated based on Jan 1 value).

MF for 2007 - $750
Peso Conv - 10.79
Peso Value - 8,092 Pesos

MF for 2017 - $1,037
Peso Conv - 20.73
Peso Value - 21,497

Increase in Peso value over past ten years from 8,092 to 21,497 = 166%. This almost exactly 10% compounded annually from 2007 to 2017.

The nice thing with the Sands is you can actually see the full budget and where MF are going, Hurricane reserves, property improvements, etc. No increase for 2016 or 2017.

Now all you need to be shown is mgmt's. respective salaries. I know, they're not required to disclose them. Curious minds want to know.

scobrn

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Isn't it the opposite? While the dollar's value "increases" for you, they get less value.
You are correct. I meant that they don't make any adjustment for the increased value of the dollar. When we paid our fee in January, 2017, the dollar bought nearly 21 pesos, compared to about 10 pesos to the dollar 10 years ago, yet the maintenance fee goes up nearly 8-10% per year.

scobrn

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

MF for 2007 - $750
Peso Conv - 10.79
Peso Value - 8,092 Pesos

MF for 2017 - $1,037
Peso Conv - 20.73
Peso Value - 21,497

Great explanation. That's exactly my issue, but my MF increased from $1200 to $1900 during that time.

scobrn

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You are correct if you are just looking at the last few months, but I'm referring to the 10 year change. It was around 10 pesos to the dollar then. In Jan. when I paid my MF, it was just under 21 pesos to the dollar.

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
If the OP's MF's are being invoiced--and paid--in dollars instead of pesos, then he is correct in his original position. The Mexican timeshare company is getting a double benefit: increasing revenue from the inflation of its MF's over the past ten years, plus the ability to convert those MF's paid in dollars into much cheaper pesos on their side. I should add that this benefit to the Mexican timeshare company is to the great detriment of its U.S.-based owners (assuming the invoice is denominated and paid in dollars).