• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Advice requested on booking in Ocean City, MD

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Funny, I just about to start searching VA Beach. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Virginia Beach is going to be easier through RCI but really the same applies. Your best shot is using RCI points (Nightly stays) and picking it up 10 months in advance. The RCI resorts in Virginia Beach are a step up from the Ocean City Maryland ones but really are still fairly basic and average. II has the nicer Virginia Beach Resorts but since DRI took them over and added additional resort fees I stopped looking for them.

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Virginia Beach is going to be easier through RCI but really the same applies. Your best shot is using RCI points (Nightly stays) and picking it up 10 months in advance. The RCI resorts in Virginia Beach are a step up from the Ocean City Maryland ones but really are still fairly basic and average. II has the nicer Virginia Beach Resorts but since DRI took them over and added additional resort fees I stopped looking for them.

The Wyndham Resorts in Williamsburg, Va. are about 45 minutes from Virginia Beach. These resorts would dodge RCI fees.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Phillips was one of the places I worked. It was never my favorite seafood venue to eat at although I fun working there. I also worked at Sunsations when I was 17. They had 4 locations in 1989. I had friends who worked at Morbid Manor, Thrashers and Fishers Popcorn. There is a lot that is still the same and a lot that is different but its all good. When I was younger, my dad would take us to Ocean City and let my brother and I go off by ourselves with a roll of quarters and tickets to the pier and we just had to pick him up at the Purple Moose on the boardwalk by 9:30.

I stayed home summers and worked at Hot Shoppes

For those that think I'm hijacking this thread, Hot Shoppes were the family restaurants in the D.C. Area that were owned by J Willard Marriott. So there is a timeshare connection here

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Which is better Va Beach or Ocean City ? Food wise and family fun. I know that both cities are busy from Memorial Day weekend to end of summer.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I went down to Ocean City MD with my 3 nephews one fine January MLK weekend. Their parents went to San Diego (his business trip) ... I figured I was not going to listen to 3 boys FIGHT over video games for 3 days ... so off to their grandparents' beach front condo. I entertained them by going thru as many OPEN HOUSE condos for sale as I could find. The rules were each boy: immediately go to their assigned room (LR & balcony, MBR & Bath, KIT & guest BDR) and evaluate its PLUSES & MINUSES ... report back to me as I entertained the sales agent til I got their report. Then, they could show me any "neat thing" they found. Take ONLY 1 cookie each, say a nice thing about the condo to the agent and THANK YOU. Onto the NEXT place for sale. Let me say .. that was a cheap way to see many places ... the boys still remember our Condo Shopping day ... and I never had to try to escape from any of the real estate sales people ... don't recall even having to sign in ... those boys moved thru those "1 cookie ONLY" places clean, fast and politely.

Saw big houses, highrise condo apartments, duplex houses (upside down type) .. off the beach, etc. Just suggesting that off season time might be a good way to LOOK without being shown just one office's or one agent's listings.

Many of the units had a rental history with their current owner which would help you define the (rental) market. Calling or looking over the web first might help .. but walking the unit fast & getting out was easy with the 3 boys.

Explorer7

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have reservations come and go for Coconut Mallory over the past month or so. I went ahead and booked two one-bedroom units for the end of July beginning of August. i'm able to go every summer but have to check regularly for availability no it's not typical Wyndham standard, but it's convenient 2 hr drive from home and is reasonably clean and enjoy the pool and Bayview and walking over to fagers Island A restaurant/club which is very close on the Bayside behind the resort. oh yeah, the points are dirt cheap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Which is better Va Beach or Ocean City ? Food wise and family fun. I know that both cities are busy from Memorial Day weekend to end of summer.
In general I would go with which ever is closer or you can get the better price/accommodations.

This is a little factoid that might make a difference to some. My first timeshare tour as an adult (went to one with my mom when I was 13) was in Virginia Beach at the Ramada. The tour guide mentioned that Virginia Beach was so desirable because it was the furtherest North warm water Atlantic destination. That seemed strange to me because OC isn't that far north of Virginia beach.

https://www.currentresults.com/Ocea...ryland-delaware-average-water-temperature.php
Kiptopeke State Park is basically on the north side of the Chesapeake bridge/tunnel on the eastern shore of Virginia. Apparently the ocean at Virginia Beach is 6-8 degrees warmer than the ocean at Ocean City in the summer.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
How much are male large crabs in Ocean City, MD or Va Beach, VA per dozen or by the bushel already cook? Are their any eating establishment where you can just sit down and enjoy eating crabs and drink a cold beer?

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
In Ocean City there are crab houses everywhere. There are even a few right on the boardwalk where you can eat them outside while people watching as well as both eat in and carry out up and down coastal highway. Most are by the dozen and if you haven't been in years you might be shocked by the prices especially if you are looking for extra large or jumbo which could run you in the $120+ per dozen range. They also have AUCE places which will be for the small/medium crabs and usually run around $35-$40 per person. It does come with sides and they do try to fill you up with corn, hush puppies, etc.

In Virginia beach not so much but if you look you can find them.