• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need advice please!

EMomma18

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Split Rock
Hi! New here and new to timeshares. We just bought a 1bdroom unit at Willbowbrook Split Rock. We got what I thought was a good deal until I started reading threads on here. $4790 for 51,000 points, $373 maintenance every other year (because we knew someone else who has a timeshare there, we got a discount on price and maintenance every other year instead of yearly).

From what I was explained, we could use the points at any of the interval resorts - that this wasn't the typical "one week every year" timeshare. But in further reading the contract, I still see it mentioned that we get one week at Split Rock, and can trade in with Interval for use outside of Split Rock. So I'm really confused on how this works.

Second, I see that I could buy the same time share on eBay for like $1. So now I'm thinking I should just cancel - I have until Thursday to decide. Please help!!!

EMomma18

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Split Rock
Also, in reading the contract, I saw that in order to be able to exchange, we have to pay the yearly membership fee to Interval for $154. Our salesperson never mentioned this. He said we could just call him up and tell him where we want to go and when, and he would
Figure out when was the best time to go to
Maximize our points - but I'm annoyed he never mentioned this fee!

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Rescind your purchase while there is still time. Once the deadline passes you never have this opportunity again. If you do some research and decide you still want to own what you bought in a few months buy it then for less money and with all of the relevant information, not just the stuff the sales weasel cherry picked to convince you to buy.

Rescind Rescind Rescind!

Follow the instructions exactly as written in your contract. Do it only in writing (with proof), and do not talk to them on the phone. They will only try to talk you out of rescinding in time, and a phone conversation does not carry force of law.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
You already know NONE of us here are going to get paid a penny in telling you to rescind .. but the sales staff where you signed the purchase agreement WILL be collecting a commission check next week.

READ, learn, ask questions here ... and if you feel this is STILL a GREAT deal, you will be able to get it on the resale market or get a bigger discount from the new sales person.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Sorry but I don't know anything about this resort. Is this resort close to you, say within 2 hours, and have desirable amenities/facilities that you would want to be able to use for the day? Some resorts are in ski or beach areas for instance and allow owners who purchased directly from the resort to have day use of the amenities and facilities. Some people have made a small developer purchase to have day use of a resort that they wouldn't get with a resale purchase and they knew that they would make good use of that benefit. That would be the ONLY reason I can think of to make a developer purchase.

RCI is another exchange company and also has a yearly fee. Most resorts are in one of the exchange companies. Your sales person offering to find you reservations, well if that happened even one time I'd be amazed but most likely it would happen on the 12th of NEVER. And you would have to give him full access to your account, something you should never do!

EMomma18

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Split Rock
Sorry but I don't know anything about this resort. Is this resort close to you, say within 2 hours, and have desirable amenities/facilities that you would want to be able to use for the day? Some resorts are in ski or beach areas for instance and allow owners who purchased directly from the resort to have day use of the amenities and facilities. Some people have made a small developer purchase to have day use of a resort that they wouldn't get with a resale purchase and they knew that they would make good use of that benefit. That would be the ONLY reason I can think of to make a developer purchase.

RCI is another exchange company and also has a yearly fee. Most resorts are in one of the exchange companies. Your sales person offering to find you reservations, well if that happened even one time I'd be amazed but most likely it would happen on the 12th of NEVER. And you would have to give him full access to your account, something you should never do!

It's about 2.5 hours away from us, in the Poconos, PA. We have been going for years, and yes, we like the amenities. But we wouldn't be using the day passes, as when we take the drive
Up there, we would be staying overnight anyway.

The thing that got us was what we thought a low cost for the timeshare and low maintenance fee as well, as compared to some other more sought after locations. Then I found this site and started second guessing everything

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
Willowbrook is at Lake Harmony in the Poconos?

Wyndham Shawnee is easy to rent from a Wyndham points owner ....

Or buy a fixed week at Wyndham Shawnee ... as you would then have DAY Use Privileges at Shawnee ... the front desk for free gives you a day pass to use at the resort.

When I am up in that area .. I love floating in the indoor pool in the winter ... see my listing of resorts? MFs are under $700 for a fixed week.

EMomma18

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Split Rock
Willowbrook is at Lake Harmony in the Poconos?

Wyndham Shawnee is easy to rent from a Wyndham points owner ....

Or buy a fixed week at Wyndham Shawnee ... as you would then have DAY Use Privileges at Shawnee ... the front desk for free gives you a day pass to use at the resort.

When I am up in that area .. I love floating in the indoor pool in the winter ... see my listing of resorts? MFs are under $700 for a fixed week.

Yes in Lake Harmony - it's part of the Split Rock Resort. Maintenance was $373 for a 1 bedroom. From what I was told, Wyndham also recently took over Split Rock as they had been in financial troubles.

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
Really?

$373 is low MFs for a 1bdr unit. Most of Shawnee is 2/2 units with Fixed Week units under $700 MFs.

I used to spend time back in the late 1970s at Lake Harmony area.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Also, in reading the contract, I saw that in order to be able to exchange, we have to pay the yearly membership fee to Interval for $154. Our salesperson never mentioned this. He said we could just call him up and tell him where we want to go and when, and he would
Figure out when was the best time to go to
Maximize our points - but I'm annoyed he never mentioned this fee!
First, rescind NOW.
You have much to learn before you are educated enough to purchase a timeshare. You want that purchase to be a wise decision, not an impulsive purchase based on half truths.

You purchased a certain number of points at Split Rock -- the points may or may not be equal to a week's use. Since you're only paying maintenance fees every other year, you probably only have a week every other year. Does the contract say how many points it takes to reserve a week, in a 1br unit, during each season at your home resort? The high season in the Poconos is summer, so summer weeks will cost more points than winter weeks.

Interval International is an exchange company. In order to exchange, you must pay both an annual membership fee, and an exchange fee. Exchanging is not as easy as booking a hotel room. You will not be able to exchange into "any" Interval resort. There is no guarantee that your week has enough trade power to exchange into the resort you want at the time you want to be there.

Last edited:

EMomma18

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Split Rock
First, rescind NOW.
You have much to learn before you are educated enough to purchase a timeshare. You want that purchase to be a wise decision, not an impulsive purchase based on half truths.

You purchased a certain number of points at Split Rock -- the points may or may not be equal to a week's use. Since you're only paying maintenance fees every other year, you probably only have a week every other year. Does the contract say how many points it takes to reserve a week, in a 1br unit, during each season at your home resort? The high season in the Poconos is summer, so summer weeks will cost more points than winter weeks.

Interval International is an exchange company. In order to exchange, you must pay both an annual membership fee, and an exchange fee. Exchanging is not as easy as booking a hotel room. You will not be able to exchange into "any" Interval resort. There is no guarantee that your week has enough trade power to exchange into the resort you want at the time you want to be there.

It was biennial maintenance fees supposedly because we knew another timeshare owner, they gave us a "deal". But the contract said it was Even and Odd years, yellow season. The index was 90-110. It also had the allotted weeks listed...it was quite a few of them. Not that I know what that really means. It did not say how many points needed for a week. We would get 51,000 points every other year. The years we didn't pay maintenance, we wouldn't get points.

The salesman said he had the same
Plan and was able to take 2-3 short stay vacations a year. Sometimes he even had points left to rollover to
The next year. But who knows if that is even true.

EMomma18

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Split Rock
Thank you everyone for your responses. I sent the rescind letter today via certified mail, so let's see what happens.

We have been going to Split Rock for years now, because my friend is an owner for 20 years now and we went with her many times for birthday celebrations and to
Use the water park. So I felt like it was a good investment and a good deal. The salesperson said a timeshare in a place like Orlando is much more money and higher maintenance, but with the points, it didn't matter where your "home week" was, because you could use the points at other resorts within the network.

I don't know how much of what he said is true, so for now we canceled and I will research research research before purchasing again.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Thank you everyone for your responses. I sent the rescind letter today via certified mail, so let's see what happens.

We have been going to Split Rock for years now, because my friend is an owner for 20 years now and we went with her many times for birthday celebrations and to
Use the water park. So I felt like it was a good investment and a good deal. The salesperson said a timeshare in a place like Orlando is much more money and higher maintenance, but with the points, it didn't matter where your "home week" was, because you could use the points at other resorts within the network.

I don't know how much of what he said is true, so for now we canceled and I will research research research before purchasing again.
Congratulations, you just saved a bundle. Stick around, read the stickies, go fill out the questions here:(What to buy?), and good luck in your TS journey.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You should rescind at least until you know what the basics are. Like that maintenance fees have to be paid before either you can use your week, or exchange it for another stay. And that there is a separate fee to be a member of II, or that there is a fee for EVERY exchange whether it's for a week or 2-3 days.

Get your letter in the mail today. It doesn't have to be legalese or complex. Just I/WE wish to cancel contract # ________ dated________
Signed __________Husband
__________Wife
No need to notarize.
Send a copy of the signature page.
Send it USPS Certified w/return receipt so you know they got it.
Keep us informed.
Enjoy the money you'll save by buying resale.

Jim

EMomma18

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Split Rock
You should rescind at least until you know what the basics are. Like that maintenance fees have to be paid before either you can use your week, or exchange it for another stay. And that there is a separate fee to be a member of II, or that there is a fee for EVERY exchange whether it's for a week or 2-3 days.

Get your letter in the mail today. It doesn't have to be legalese or complex. Just I/WE wish to cancel contract # ________ dated________
Signed __________Husband
__________Wife
No need to notarize.
Send a copy of the signature page.
Send it USPS Certified w/return receipt so you know they got it.
Keep us informed.
Enjoy the money you'll save by buying resale.

Jim
Thank you! It's in the mail...I will definitely be researching more and I'm glad I found this group before it was too late.

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score
The salesperson said a timeshare in a place like Orlando is much more money and higher maintenance, but with the points, it didn't matter where your "home week" was, because you could use the points at other resorts within the network.

EVERY SINGLE Sales Weasel says they own at the resort. They are mostly lying, they know what a bad deal buying from them is. Watch the Netflix documentary about Westgate timeshares. It actually shows the slaes manager coaching the salesman to say they are owners.

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Thank you! It's in the mail...I will definitely be researching more and I'm glad I found this group before it was too late.

You're one of the smart/lucky ones, EMomma. Nice going! Many of us--myself included--had to go through the painful process of buying a very expensive first purchase and then learning how to use it, trade it, and ultimately learn what parts of what the sales weasels told us were true (not much), what wasn't true (a lot), and new things they never told us in the first place (a lot of that, too).

The advice to sit tight, read these boards, ask questions, and then zero in on a resale purchase that will likely save you at least 70% from what you would have paid on the original sale is not just great advice, but you'll feel much more confident when you step into the market the next time.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
congrats on rescinding in time, you just saved thousands of dollars!

nancy6l

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Patriots, Willowbrook at Lake Harmony
Yes in Lake Harmony - it's part of the Split Rock Resort. Maintenance was $373 for a 1 bedroom. From what I was told, Wyndham also recently took over Split Rock as they had been in financial troubles.
Who told you that Wyndham took over Split Rock. I am an owner there and they did have difficulties several years ago and were taken over but not by Wyndham but by Highgate.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
$373/EOY ($187/YR) for a 1 BR 7 nights a year (every year) sounds like a great deal!! That's $27/night... That sounds tremendous to me...!