• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

"Timeshare Cancellation/transfer" company owners indicted in Colorado!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's about time !

For years now, some on this TUG site have been attempting to make clearly known the important distinction between this long-known scammer operation in Boulder, CO called Timeshare Transfers (with an "s" at the end of the word transfer) and the completely legitimate and trustworthy closing company called Timeshare Transfer (no "s" at the end of the word transfer), located in Florida and which I have personally and successfully used on occasion in years past.

I wonder how much business may have been lost by the legitimate Timeshare Transfer in FL in recent years as a direct result of possible confusion or misunderstanding arising from the very close similarity of the company names. One is a complete scam, the other a legit transfer / closing company.

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score

Couldn't happen to more worthy individuals :). I hope that when all is said and done, the company name disappears from the face of the earth. I wonder how much inadvertent damage / lost business the legitimate Timeshare Transfer (no "s" at the end of the word Transfer) in Vero Beach, FL may have sustained as a result of that one letter difference between the two company names. A shame really, since the FL timeshare closing company is long established and trustworthy while the CO operation is, well......being criminally prosecuted for very good reason. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Reaction score
http://www.dailycamera.com/news/bou...da-two-men-indicted-timeshare-transfer-scheme

nice to see more of these folks being arrested and prosecuted....probably not much money left to give back to the owners they scammed though :(

Looks like karma was on the side of Mr. Chavez. He was not found guilty and set free. Now he is sueing the Boulder Police Department and Boulder County District Attorney's Office, alleging that he is the victim of malicious prosecution. I would say his customers could also file suit to reclaim their loses. He made the following comment: He said that he is a good man with a legitimate business and his company "continues to work with clients to finalize any remaining files despite the City's obstruction." It's a good thing he could afford a good lawyer. Hopefully he will be able to continue helping others. I feel bad that dozens of his employees lost their job over the city's senseless act. I am sure he will bounce back.

Heres the link:

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/boulder/ci_31124024/man-charged-alleged-time-share-scheme-plans-sue

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
UPDATE!!!!!

Looks like karma was on the side of Mr. Chavez. He was not found guilty and set free. Now he is sueing the Boulder Police Department and Boulder County District Attorney's Office, alleging that he is the victim of malicious prosecution. He made the following comment: He said that he is a good man with a legitimate business and his company "continues to work with clients to finalize any remaining files despite the City's obstruction." It's a good thing he could afford a good lawyer. Hopefully he will be able to continue helping others. I feel bad that dozens of his employees lost their job over the city's senseless act. I am sure he will bounce back.

Heres the link:

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/boulder/ci_31124024/man-charged-alleged-time-share-scheme-plans-sue

I respectfully submit that you have completely misinterpreted the Boulder News article whose link you've provided. Your stated conclusions are both unfounded and factually incorrect. There has neither been a trial nor an acquittal; Chavez could not possibly be found not guilty before trial :confused:. I'd also point out that Chavez was not held in jail to now be "set free". No offense, but you've simply gotten a lot of facts completely wrong in your odd interpretation of that article.

The article merely indicates that Chavez filed (for himself) a notice of claim of intent to file suit for "malicious prosecution". That act of posturing borders on being completely meaningless, legally speaking. If Chavez is ultimately convicted of the charges and (more than 100) felony counts against him, it would certainly seem that his prosecution will not actually have been "malicious" at all. :)

Chavez allegedly contacted people using an alias (Chris Culhane). Does that sound like a "good man" or a "legitimate business" to you? He took thousands of dollars from people, many of them elderly and vulnerable, failing thereafter to lawfully (or otherwise) get their timeshares out of their name(s) after his empty promises. In most instances, it is alleged that he actually did nothing at all (except to take those people's money). How exactly was that "helping" them?

I think it's fair to say that Mr. Chavez' problems are not over and that his troubles have really only just begun --- and his "business" ultimately will be "over".
Out of curiosity, aside from very inaccurately interpreting a newspaper article's content, why are you now waving this parasite's flag at all anyhow? :shrug:

Last edited:
Reaction score
I read the Boulder News article whose link you've provided very differently than your stated conclusion...

There is no mention of Mr. Chavez' having been found not guilty of anything. The article merely indicates that Chavez "plans" (...we'll see later, won't we?) to file suit for "malicious prosecution". If he is ultimately convicted, it would seem that his prosecution will not actually have been "malicious" at all.

Mr. Chavez contacted people using an alias name, not his own. He took thousands of dollars from people, many of them elderly and vulnerable, failing thereafter to lawfully get their timeshares out of their name(s) as "promised".

I think it's fair to say that Mr. Chavez' problems are not over and that his "business" ultimately will be "over", with his threatened lawsuits going nowhere (if ever filed at all). Why would you choose to wave this parasite's flag anyhow? :shrug:

His business works. He negotiated a transfer of my property back the resort. I don't own mine anymore. Just advocating for him because he got me out of that crazy loop of lies and disappointments. Transfers are a slow process, but I can't imagine why he would do for some and not for others. If I was a guilty man, I would not want to go back into a court room to sue the city. I would leave town. He may have to change his name again after they have smeared his reputation. Who knows? I just hope he can finish helping those people since he is not in trouble anymore. If I was his customers, I would sue the Boulder PD as well. Boulder definitely delayed their transfer process even further.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
<snip> If I was a guilty man, I would not want to go back into a court room to sue the city. <snip> If I was his customers, I would sue the Boulder PD as well. <snip>

I will ask once again --- on what basis do you believe that Chavez has actually been acquitted of the (more than 100 counts) felony charges against him?

The article you cited says no such thing and makes no reference to any verdict in Chavez' case. Do you have any additional, more current information on the status of the case against Mr. Chavez than is contained the article cited, or have you simply grossly misinterpreted what that article actually says?
The article actually says nothing more than that Chavez "filed a notice of claim of intent to sue" for malicious prosecution (we'll see about that, soon enough) and a few self-aggrandizing, self-promoting quotes from Chavez himself. Not a bad PR ploy on Chavez' part, but it won't impact his criminal prosecution.

Have you considered that Chavez' filing might just be "grandstanding", perhaps initiated to (at least in his own mind) attempt to delay or muddy the waters of his criminal proceedings? According to the article, Chavez apparently filed his notice of "intent" claim himself (i.e., attorneys apparently did not do so for him). Frankly, I would not be jumping to any premature (and clearly incorrect) conclusions here.

It seems that you are waving Chavez' flag because he reportedly got you "out" of a timeshare ownership (after you paid him money to do so) a few years ago. Presumably, that was either by "deedback" to the resort or by setting your ownership adrift on a "Viking Ship". Unfortunately however, prosecutors allege that in many (more specifically, at least 100) other instances, Chavez simply took people's money and then did absolutely nothing. It's hardly surprising that he has now (...finally) been criminally charged. In our judicial system, he is of course innocent until proven guilty; he will soon enough have his day in court.
We'll see how it all ultimately turns out, but your unfounded "not guilty" proclamation / conclusion is both factually inaccurate and very premature.

Last edited:
Reaction score
If you read this "I am thankful to HAVE HAD the financial resources to hire competent attorneys to fight these charges," he continued. "If I DIDN'T have the ability, I WOULD CONTINUE to be railroaded by the system."

He is talking about a past fight that he has finished and won. Plus the paper interviewing him is a dead give away. they don't go into jail cells to interview folks.

Reaction score
I could be mistaken, but we are all too quick to call someone guilty without looking at the case. I will do some research and if he is scam artist, I am glad that he was not in 2015.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you read this "I am thankful to HAVE HAD the financial resources to hire competent attorneys to fight these charges," he continued. "If I DIDN'T have the ability, I WOULD CONTINUE to be railroaded by the system."

He is talking about a past fight that he has finished and won. Plus the paper interviewing him is a dead give away. they don't go into jail cells to interview folks.

Sorry, but I cannot and do not agree with your conclusions. Any halfway competent reporter would have referenced an acquittal --- if one had occurred.
I see no such reference (or implication) anywhere within the article, so unless you have additional facts and / or more current information to present, we are apparently going to have to just agree to disagree on the actual, accurate, current status of Mr. Chavez' (as yet unresolved) criminal case. :shrug:

Last edited:

ssreward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Per the Boulder County court docket, there's a status conference scheduled for 9/1 @ 1p regarding this case. So, it doesn't seemed to be resolved at this time. That said, I'd be surprised if he found a lawyer willing to file suit for malicious prosecution if they didn't already have info that it was most likely going to be dismissed...guess we'll have to wait & see.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Per the Boulder County court docket, there's a status conference scheduled for 9/1 @ 1p regarding this case. So, it doesn't seemed to be resolved at this time. That said, I'd be surprised if he found a lawyer willing to file suit for malicious prosecution if they didn't already have info that it was most likely going to be dismissed...guess we'll have to wait & see.

The article indicates that Chavez himself (not his lawyers) filed his notice of claim pro se. The criminal case against Chavez has not yet been adjudicated. IMnsHO, there is no reason at all to believe or speculate that the case is going to be dismissed either. On the contrary, a plea deal could very well be under consideration (or already in the works) to avoid a trial. Chavez could merely be "grandstanding" in an effort (at least in his own mind) to somehow delay or otherwise muddy the waters in the criminal proceedings against him. As you correctly note, we'll certainly see --- probably sooner rather than later.
Frankly, I seriously doubt that Chavez' pro se filing is of any particular concern to anyone if prosecutors believe that they have a solid case.

Last edited:

ssreward

TUG Member
Reaction score
The article clearly indicates that Chavez (not lawyers) filed his intent himself. I personally believe and agree that the case has not yet been adjudicated. IMnsHO, there is no reason at all to believe or speculate that the case is going to be dismissed. On the contrary, a plea deal could very well be in the works to avoid a trial. Chavez could merely be "grandstanding" in an effort (at least in his own mind) to delay or otherwise muddy the waters in the criminal proceedings against him. As you correctly note, we'll see --- sooner or later.
I had forgotten the pro se aspect while searching up the docket. I've got to agree, there's no reason to suspect it's not just frivolous grandstanding...one of those "competent lawyers" he's so glad to have would have been more than happy to take up the mantle if the suit had merit!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
random person comes to defend an upfront fee company after a "success" 3 years ago?

how interesting!

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
random person comes to defend an upfront fee company after a "success" 3 years ago?

how interesting!

In all fairness Brian, this person has posted on TUG numerous times before over the past several years about his / her efforts to dump a unwanted (Sand Castle?) timeshare. Maybe the upfront fee Boulder parasites did get him / her out" of timeshare ownership by "deedback" (or by Viking Ship sailing) in 2015.
I dunno (or frankly, much care). Chavez will soon be facing the music, regardless.

The indisputable fact remains, however, that our intreid Chavez supporter is simply wrong about the status of the felony criminal case (with over 100 counts) against Kristopher Chavez and his compadre Timothy Hatcher. Their day of reckoning has not arrived --- but it's coming soon to a Colorado court near you. Stay tuned! :)

Last edited:

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I had forgotten the pro se aspect while searching up the docket. I've got to agree, there's no reason to suspect it's not just frivolous grandstanding...one of those "competent lawyers" he's so glad to have would have been more than happy to take up the mantle if the suit had merit!

Chavez filed a "notice of claim that he intends to sue." That is not even close to filing suit or trying a case.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Chavez filed a "notice of claim that he intends to sue." That is not even close to filing suit or trying a case.

That's already very clearly understood. Moreover, he filed pro se (for himself; his own lawyers did not do so). Probably just a lame attempt at grandstanding, perhaps believing (quite incorrectly) that doing so will somehow influence, delay or otherwise complicate his criminal case which has not yet been heard.
The fact is that Chavez' lame filing of "notice of claim that he intends to sue" will have no bearing on the criminal proceedings against him. Stay tuned! :)

Last edited:

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
That's already very clearly understood. Moreover, he filed pro se (for himself; his own lawyers did not do so). Probably just a lame attempt at grandstanding, perhaps believing (quite incorrectly) that doing so will somehow influence, delay or otherwise complicate his criminal case which has not yet been heard.
The fact is that Chavez' lame filing of "notice of claim that he intends to sue" will have no bearing on the criminal proceedings against him. Stay tuned! :)

My point was that practically anyone can file a notice of claim so the fact that he did it himself (pro se) is unremarkable. Perhaps the reason he did it himself is that his attorneys know what the filing is about and wouldn't do it for him. Attorneys have something to lose by making frivolous filings.

Otherwise, I agree with you. This is a counterpunch and one that has no bearing on criminal proceedings. All he's trying to do is bust the Boulder authorities' b@!!s.