• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Surfer808

Reaction score
I'm shopping on eBay and currently the winning bid for MKO every odd year 2br 2 ba. ocean view for $4300. Since I'm new to this can someone help me with the following questions:

1. Does anyone know how to verify if the unit is a lock off? It's just me and my partner vacationing so we won't ever need the 2 bedroom and we would like to have the lock off option. It's strange that the seller couldn't immediately confirm.

2. If we plan to exchange our 2br into 2 weeks with II, does it matter if we get ocean view or not? We definitely are OV type people but not sure if it's worth paying that premium upfront or if we should just get a cheaper mountain view.

3. Anyone has experience buying with "mtsresale" or "lakeparkartist" on eBay? I'm also buying a Hilton 5k point package with them and they both are a part of a company called ivacay vacations LLC. Just curious to hear your experience.

Thanks in advance for your replies!!

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Your unit will be a lock-off, they never sold the non lock-offs that are in Naia. If you are going to be exchanging through II, then you will lose any benefit from depositing an OV since II treats the deposits the same. Conversely, if you trade back in, you are at the mercy of room assignments on what type of room they give you. Even if your unit code is an OV from the trade back in, you will probably get an inferior OV room (note that if you do own at Ko Olina, that may help your room assignment, but I do not think you will be getting as good a room as when you are using your home week).

I don't know those resale companies, and $4,300 would be a terrific price for that EOY. You may get sniped at the end -- but since it is an EOY Odd, that may discourage others from bigging as the 2017 weeks are pretty picked through at this point and it still takes 60-90 days to close. Good luck, it's a great property!

Best

Greg

Surfer808

Reaction score
Thanks GregT! You were right, we got verification direct from Marriott that they didn't sell the non lock offs for ko olina.

Also thanks for the info on the ov. I suppose if I want to book the 2 bedroom at my resort then i could keep it and then lock off later? And stay in one unit and rent the other?

dualrated2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina, Waiohai, Grand Chateau, Desert Springs Villas, Willow Ridge
I'm surprised Ko Olina had sufficient inventory of 2BR lock off units available to sell to Japanese buyers. They couldn't buy points so they were still selling them deeded weeks until 2014 as I recall.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
I purchased an Odd EOY there a couple years ago for about $6500 that was ocean view. The difference in cost between MV and OV is minimal, considering that you're paying the same in maintenance fees. If you're going to exchange, I don't think it will really matter, MV vs. OV. But if you ever plan to use the week yourself, definitely go with OV. Also, at $4300, my guess is that it may not pass ROFR. It might since it's an EOY week, but in the past they would call those in.

larryallen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
KOBC x6, Westin Kierland x2, and we went to the darkside and bought points!
I would be very surprised if the auction ended at $4,300. More like $6,300 would be a likely ending number unless the seller looks questionable.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would be very surprised if the auction ended at $4,300. More like $6,300 would be a likely ending number unless the seller looks questionable.
I agree, the final bid will be higher. Because it is EOY, I think it has a shot at passing ROFR.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
As to your question about locking off a unit.

We own 2 lock-off units with MVC. Typically, since we know we're not going to use the full unit, we'll lock-off during the reservation process. It is possible to reserve the entire unit, then lock-off at a later date and either rent the other half or deposit it for exchange with I.I.

One of the units we own is a 3 bedroom Ocean Pointe, which locks off into a 2 bedroom master suite and studio unit. When we needed/wanted the extra weeks vacation, we would lock off and deposit the studio unit. I would then hold the studio unit and do daily manual online searches with that unit until I found what I was looking for, which was typically a 1 bedroom unit (or larger) in Branson, MO or Breckenridge, CO. Recently I.I. has added a "unit size" upgrade fee, where we have to pay an additional $99 for each trade up in unit size we confirm. So a studio to 1 bedroom adds an additional $99 to the exchange fee and an upgrade from a studio to a 2 bedroom unit would add an additional $198 to the exchange fee. Because we have book shoulder seasons in the past, we have made that jump from studio to 2 bedroom but, it those were really slow times in Branson and Branson has a LOT of unused inventory when it's not the busy summer months.

I hope you win your bid but, there's a lot of snipping programs out there and many "winning" bids are lost in the last few seconds of an auction. Ko'Olina is a beautiful resort. If it wasn't so darn expensive for us to get to Hawaii, it's a resort we'd consider owning. Here's a link to a few pics we took when there in March 2015. https://dougp26364.smugmug.com/Travel/TImeshare/Marriotts-KoOlina-March-2015/

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm shopping on eBay and currently the winning bid for MKO every odd year 2br 2 ba. ocean view for $4300. Since I'm new to this can someone help me with the following questions:

1. Does anyone know how to verify if the unit is a lock off? It's just me and my partner vacationing so we won't ever need the 2 bedroom and we would like to have the lock off option. It's strange that the seller couldn't immediately confirm.

2. If we plan to exchange our 2br into 2 weeks with II, does it matter if we get ocean view or not? We definitely are OV type people but not sure if it's worth paying that premium upfront or if we should just get a cheaper mountain view.

3. Anyone has experience buying with "mtsresale" or "lakeparkartist" on eBay? I'm also buying a Hilton 5k point package with them and they both are a part of a company called ivacay vacations LLC. Just curious to hear your experience.

Thanks in advance for your replies!!
I don't think the L/O issue matters anyway. Even at the resorts that have lockoff's and non lockoff's, one should be able to reserve either if available and owning one wouldn't guarantee availability if they had both.

Surfer808

Reaction score
Marriott approved the resell at $4300 OV EOY! THey said it takes about 2-3 months for the state to record the deed. Lakeparkartist is legit and helping me close this deal. Thanks everyone for their feedback - this is a great forum and community of timeshare owners!

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Marriott approved the resell at $4300 OV EOY! THey said it takes about 2-3 months for the state to record the deed. Lakeparkartist is legit and helping me close this deal. Thanks everyone for their feedback - this is a great forum and community of timeshare owners!

Wow. Great price. Congrats!

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark

That's a great price -- congratulations and enjoy the property!!!

Best,

Greg

cp73

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
Great price...just there last week....have fun...

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe

Congratulations!

We bought an EOY even OV unit a couple years ago and love the resort. You got a great price! Enjoy.

Mike